Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question on fur-meets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifts980

Location: Orbiting around a point just to left of four seconds in the future

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: A question on fur-meets Reply with quote

Having never been to a fur-meet, I want to organize one. Thing is I know nothing about how to organize such an event, I know a place to hold it, know what to bring in the way of food. Having organized man parties before, but how do I get people and what sort of activities do I do?

CW4adfrw A+ C- D+ H+++ M--- P+++ R++ T+++ W Sm- RLLW a- cn++ e+ f h* iw+++ p+++ sm-
Sparky Lucario [TGL]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be out of my depth on this, since I'm used to FurMeets in the UK and I've never experienced a FurMeet in America.

I'd search on Google "FurMeets in [Insert your state/area here]" I'm sure there is probably a site/forum that has information on Furries in your area/state and if they do, go from there and ask about FurMeets in your area and see if anyone is in your area, see if they are interested in having one.

Sure, that's not useful, since I'm using experience of UKFurs Forum, but it's a start nonetheless.

R.I.P. Rocol - Only The Good Die Young
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been planning and holding furry get-togethers in my home for ten years now, missing only one, and have been to many others. There's so many variables in play in your request that I find I can't help very much for lack of specifics. For example, is your source of furs a large, stable mailing list? Do you plan a sleepover? How many will likely be attending-- is there an upper limit? What interests will your attendees have in common?

Without that info, the not-very-good best I can do is refer you to an old column I wrote a few years back.

http://anthrozine.com/clmn/clm.geusz.03.html

That, and I'll warn you that most get-togethers which flop do so a) for lack of attendees and b) lack of things that all enjoy doing together.

Best of luck! If you'll offer more specifics, I'll try to extend further advice.
Alexi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask PrincessB. The furmeet she organized right before I went in country was absolutely the best ever. (Even if they did almost kill me in the Piccadilly's.)
Teric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located, Rifts? It may be as simple as saying "Hey everybody who's nearby come over to my place on such-and-such day."

Styx put together a great furmeet last year by doing just that.

Rifts980

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teric wrote:
Where are you located, Rifts? It may be as simple as saying "Hey everybody who's nearby come over to my place on such-and-such day."

Where the 91 and the 5 meet. In the OC and LA area

CW4adfrw A+ C- D+ H+++ M--- P+++ R++ T+++ W Sm- RLLW a- cn++ e+ f h* iw+++ p+++ sm-
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teric wrote:

Now that you mention it I need to start thinking about to get another meet organized sometime when I can be reasonably sure we won't get wet or blown away

PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexi wrote:
Ask PrincessB. The furmeet she organized right before I went in country was absolutely the best ever. (Even if they did almost kill me in the Piccadilly's.)

<.< >.> We weren't trying to kill you... just injure you enough that you'd never leave us! Twisted Evil

I enjoy planning parties, mostly because I enjoy doing new things and spending times with friends. Smile
My biggest problem is finding a location that doesn't kill temp wise or cost a fortune.
How to get people to come: Plan a few weeks ahead of time, contact everyone fur you know and tell them I am hosting a fur meet at x location on x date and time please come join! If people opt to stay home it's their loss.
(if you need to hunt down more local furs do a search for furry groups in your area, including look at sites like meetup.com, facebook, myspace, furspace, yahoo groups, etc and tell every fur you invite to invite any other furs they know)

What to do: can be as simple as potluck and board/card games. Lots of furs enjoy just sitting around and talking, add a bit of munchies and some games to play between the talking and folks will have fun. If you think your attendees might be up to it you can get more in depth activities going such as bowling, mini golfing or even planning stuff like scavenger hunts. After a few gatherings, once you have a group of regulars you can look into adding more in depth things like the scavenger hunt (if the folks seem interested)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rifts980

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
Alexi wrote:

<.< >.> We weren't trying to kill you... just injure you enough that you'd never leave us! Twisted Evil

I enjoy planning parties, mostly because I enjoy doing new things and spending times with friends. Smile
My biggest problem is finding a location that doesn't kill temp wise or cost a fortune.
How to get people to come: Plan a few weeks ahead of time, contact everyone fur you know and tell them I am hosting a fur meet at x location on x date and time please come join! If people opt to stay home it's their loss.
(if you need to hunt down more local furs do a search for furry groups in your area, including look at sites like meetup.com, facebook, myspace, furspace, yahoo groups, etc and tell every fur you invite to invite any other furs they know)

What to do: can be as simple as potluck and board/card games. Lots of furs enjoy just sitting around and talking, add a bit of munchies and some games to play between the talking and folks will have fun. If you think your attendees might be up to it you can get more in depth activities going such as bowling, mini golfing or even planning stuff like scavenger hunts. After a few gatherings, once you have a group of regulars you can look into adding more in depth things like the scavenger hunt (if the folks seem interested)

Alright. Rock Band and Brawl. tunes and dancin' in my backyard. I think I should start sending out invites. Atari 2600 pong tourney anyone? I have some larp weapons for an awesome tourney. I have lots of games. I could do some DnD dungeon delves too. Got an old school ms.pacman arcade style. Then there's movies. Tanks for the Help guize!

Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifts why do you not live in TN?! LARP weapons and atari games? That would be so much fuuun!
Leonato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexi wrote:

PSH... like death from laughter would be a terrible way to go!

And BTW, you get top honors for being the person who has laughed the hardest at that joke... ever. Maybe its cause you can identify the truth to it Wink (And NO, it WILL NOT be re-told here, not by me anyways).

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: