Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Title Dilemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what titlle do you agrree is the best one for my story?
Chained arms
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Free Souls
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Chainless Souls
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
life star
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Title Dilemma Reply with quote

I appear to have a problem with my Sci-Fi story

The problem, is with the title. to put it blunt, its been taken. also it is copyrighted to Disney. heres the Wiki in case you need to see what I found needles to say, I need a new one.

I have a good sub title for the individual story: A Slaves Rise to Freedom but I have hopes that it will grow to more than just one tale. well eventually anyways.

I still need a title for this overall planed saga

currently I'm drawing blanks. so I need an honest reader opinion. In response to this dilemma, I think I'll let the readers name the story setting. For now read it and come up with a good one post it here, and ill make the best one the name for the entire saga. Maybe ill try starting a list and hold a vote for the best. we'll have to see what happens.

edit** I'm holding a vote for the best title so far just vote in the poll for your favorite so far

Last edited by DragonWolf_keny on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mwalimu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a title can be copyrighted. It is not unusual for books and movies to come out with titles that have been bourne by previous works but which otherwise bear little resemblance to them.

Note that an image or logo is subject to trademark protection (which is different but related). And of course the original work is copyrighted. The title alone is not. If your use of the title is an obvious attempt to cash in on the success of the prior work, you might be treading in dangerous water. There are also some more involved rules for things like the name of a product or business, where there have been cases of look-alike names that are similar to a more successful competitor, but that too is a trademark issue, not copyright. If you're going to publish the work commercially and receive income from it, a more cautious approach might be in order to avoid any perception that you're trying to leverage the title of the Disney work for personal gain. But as long as you're only talking about a work that's available for free from a website and only likely to attract the interest of a niche group like furry fans, I doubt if Disney will care, if they even notice it at all.

Having said that, it might be worth changing the title if you're simply trying to avoid any confusion with the Disney work.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and none of this should be treated as legal advice. It is simply my own layman's understanding.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copyrighted or not it needs a new original title and I'm stumped.

I appreciate your advice, but as you said I need to avoid confusion with Disney's film. it wasn't even inspired by the film. I have yet to even see it.
besides, Earth star was a kinda cheesy title anyways.

I need a title but I'm strapped for time and creativity, my mind just draws a blank. And so I ask for help. please, read it then give me a few ideas. I need help! Confused

Syrius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always add a "The" prefix to the name. Wink

Sneaky, but legal, IMHO.

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest I just think Earth Star is a weak title. thats why I'm asking for help.

No matter what I seem to do it just doesn't fit. It just needs a title that reflects its themes.

Its about a lot of human issues, I mean the surname does give an accurate account of what it might be about. you have "Slaves Rise to Freedom" if you pick it apart it tells you well, this story might be about a slave that rebels from an oppressive owner.

Theres way more to it than just that though,and thats what I need help with. I need a title that reflects what the story is trying to say.

It has allot of themes, like the human creation issue.The main character is a creature that this empire created. they made her so its has quite allot of issues about weather she is a real life form. in a way its like the cloning issue, if we created these clones and used their organs to replace our own. does that clone have any less of a rite to live than we do?

sorry I'm rambling off subject again, but anyways back on subject it needs a title.

it needs to be kinda like word association. What themes are the most important ones and can they be summed up in two or three words.

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother just suggested the title, life star

sounds a little better, but i think there should be more suggestions before i go with it, come on guys help me out here.

Virmir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first chapter of your story and I like it so far. I think I'll read more later.

Heh, I'm awful at titles. You could always play the synonym game: Terra Star! Gaia Star!

Or you can go with the cliched title approach: Earth Star Legends! Final Earth Star! Legend of the Earth Star!

(Okay sorry! I'll stop!)

Virmir's Stories
Metamor Keep
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't really have to end in the word star, I was just playing around with what came to me at the time.

I was thinking about the strongest theme in the story, which seems to be the human will to live in freedom.

<Warning spoiler alert!>

I went through my notes and I found a speech the main character gives later on. In this speech she has one line where she says, "they can chain our arms but not our souls!"

which made me think of a couple of good ones: Chained arms or Free Souls

Syrius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for "Chained Arms". Has a better ring.
Teric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 'Chainless Souls'?
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that one sounds even better! maybe ill put together a poll for the best ones so far.
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, is anyone gonna vote already...
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chainless souls seem to be the most popular for right now. I'm kinda partial to it myself, I did vote for it after all. Wouldn't unchained souls sound better though?
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its yoru story, title it however you want. Its what you put behind the story that matters. What its called doesnt matter. What does is if it feels right to you.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that pretty much settles it for me unchained souls it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: