Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/C nicknames
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: A/C nicknames Reply with quote

You started this, Tigermark, in the Filly's forums. You said:
Quote:
Such "secondary" nicknames are common among aircraft. The term BUFF, which stands for Big Ugly Flying, er, a, Fellow, is used for both the B-52 Stratofortress, and also for the C-5 Galaxy. The C-130 Hercules is called variably Herk, Herky, Fat Albert, Truck, Trash Can, and several other names not suitable for this forum. The old F-105 Thunderchief was called both "Thud" and "Lead Sled." Almost every airacraft has a secondary nick given to it by its crews.

This bit immediately put me to mind of a couple of nicknames I remember. Back in the day Piper Aircraft built a two-place piston single trainer called the Tomahawk. It was invariably known as the "TraumaBucket" everywhere it went.

Cessna made a centerline-thrust twin called the Model 337 Skymaster. It was more commonly known as the "Skysmasher" (for the buzzing noise the centerline propellers made) and the "Push Me Pull You".

I knew an old pilot who told stories of a DC-3 he flew many years ago that was affectionately known as "Fred". When pressed for an explanation, he would only allow that the right engine failed with predictable regularity. (Hint: think right engine dead.)

There's many more, but I'm sure some of the other aircrew that hang out at The Tiger's Den have some good ones, too. Let's hear them!

SC

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Stealth Fighter has the unfortunate nickname of 'The Wobbly Goblin'?

I can't remember many others right now, it's too early. >.<

I'll chime in as I remember more, or come across more through Google. ^_^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Now this is a good OA thread. Chime in everyone, as you hear or find interesting aircraft nicks.

One I recall a pilot telling me about, is the nick that F-15 pilots get tagged with. Cadillac drivers, because the Eagle is so much roomier in the cockpit.

The venerable DC-3's official name was the Skytrain, but it almost immediately was dubbed the Gooney Bird when it entered military service. It's been called that, and also Puff the Magic Dragon. It was one of the first Gunship aircraft in Vietnam, to be followed by the old AC-117, AC-119, and eventually the very potent AC-130 Spectre gunship.

Tigermark (Nose art and Nicknames away!)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys will like this one. I don't know how comprehensive it is, but it has quite a few in there.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/fltline2/nickname.htm

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list, teric. Some may have heard any given aircraft called different nicks, as some are base or even squadron-specific. Some are just fun, like NASA's famous zero-G training aircraft, a Boeing 707 nicknamed "The Vomit Comet." Some tell of a hard break-in period, like teh Luftwaffe calling teh F-104 Starfighter "The Widowmaker."

Keep it roling, folks, there are many more nicks out there to be explored, both modern and historic.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Folkert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of a couple.

Waco Glider of WWII. Flying Coffin.
(They were built by a group of coffin makers who served during the war by building the wooden gliders.)

The early name for the F117A was the "Hopeless Diamond" after its shape.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: The F-105 Reply with quote

Here's something told to me by a Thud jockey-

When a Thunderchief takes off, It sits at the end of the runway being spooled up to full military power (100% power w/o afterburner for you civilians). Once it stabilizes @ 100%, the jockey pulls up on the throttle lockout and pushes the throttle to 'burner'.

At this point, the left, right and top petals of the airbrakes around the exhaust cone open straight and the bottom petal will go almost straight down. Follow me so far?

Now raw fuel (JP4 or Jet-A for you civilians) begins spilling out of the exhaust cone area from the 'burner nozzles and begins to puddle on the ramp. Eventually, the afterburner lights up with a resounding 'THUD!'. The jockey then pops the brakes and rolls down the runway towards takeoff. I have personally seen this happen.

Some people say that the 'thud' when the burner lights off is the reason for the nickname.

Experienced ('Nam era') pilots will tell you that's not true.

'Thud' is the sound it makes when it hits the ground. They were famous for afterburner and whole engine flameouts. You flew them with one eye on the sky in front of you and one eye on the EGT gauge!

The air inlets being in the leading edges of the wing roots made them susceptible to high AOA (angle of attack) airflow issues.

A few others quickly-

F-102 Delta Dagger was called the Delta Disaster

F-4 Phantom II was called the Bent Wing Bug Sucker and the pilots for the same were referred to as Phantom Drivers. I was a Phantom Phixer, working on the radar systems.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would pass those along.

To Tigermark-

If you feel this post is too long/blathery/unneeded, feel free to edit/delete as necessary.

'Tsgt' Kellan Meig'h, USAF, Ret.
(Well, my non-fursona, anyway)

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: More nicknames Reply with quote

Around Nellis AFB, we referred to the A/M32A-60A Generator first as a 'Dash Sixty' or more commonly know as an FMG. (think Friendly Motor Generator)

The -60 was a turbine powered generator that supplied 115VAC @ 400 cycles and 28VDC to the aircraft on the ground plus they provided high pressure bleed air to start the J79-15 jet engines in our Phantoms.

The F-111 was officially the Aardvark, but it was known by ground crews as the flying hydraulic leak. They were always using a hydraulic mule to fill the reservoirs right before takeoff.

Kellan
"Hey slick sleeve! Get me 50 feet of flightline and a bucket of prop wash!"

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kellan,

Nope, neither too long, nor too blathery. This is prime OA fodder, so go to it.

Sometimes the nicks for aircraft sound like a joke, but really are the aircrafts nick. The T-37 primary jet trainer, built by Cessna, was called the Tweet or Tweety Bird. ("Tweet" due to the high-pitched sound of it's engines.)

There was an armed attack version built of it, with most of the gun's workings taking up the right seat. It was designated teh AC-37, and its nick was Dragonfly.

C'mon folks, let's hear some good common and uncommon a/c nicks from your past or reading.

TM

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more-

The T-38 Talon was also known as the 'White Mouse' around Nellis.

The A-10 was officially the Thunderbolt II but it's nickname was the Warthog!

Kellan

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Avro Lancaster was known as the "Dambuster" after the famous raids with bombs designed specifically for that task. Here, perhaps, is a good reason why some MD-80s are called "Assbusters"

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, that just plain looked painful. talk about a career-ender by loosing your rear ender.

TM

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This site does not support hotlinking." error page.
Teric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy flip! I hope there wasn't anyone in the aft section of that plane when it split!
Kaeto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Navy the S3A Viking Anti-Submarine Aircraft had the nickname of "The Hoover" for the sound it's engines made when throttled back. And they were the same engines as on the A-10 Warthog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: