Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server Migration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Server Migration Reply with quote

It's finally here. The new server is up and running and ready to begin the migration.

This weekend, starting Saturday October 22 at 1:00 AM Eastern Time, the process to move all sites and services running on the current server to the new server will begin. I am expecting the process to take up the entire weekend due to limitations on bandwidth and nameserver propagation speed.

During this time only the web service will be up on the current server. All other services (mail, ftp, ssh, mysql, etc.) will be down. If you have anything automatically accessing any of these services (examples: email client, automatic website update tools, etc.), they may experience errors or downtime. The web service will be kept online to continue hosting static content. Any dynamic content (PHP, CGI, JSP, etc.) will be disabled.

Once a "current status" page is available, I will post it here. At that time (later today) I will also send an email to all resellers and site owners in case they do not visit this site.

Last edited by Whip-lash on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, though I gave the address to the new server, please do not try to access it until I say otherwise. I cannot disable access to the appropriate interfaces since other clients will need in at different times. If you do anything prior to notification, whatever you do will most certainly be overwritten.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this finally fix the 'safe mode' problem? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
Will this finally fix the 'safe mode' problem? Smile

Nope.

Wink

But it does allow an alternative method to host sites that are not coded to support safe mode.

Is this in regards to Gallery? Have you tried using the version of Gallery available in your sites' Power Tools? As far as I am aware, installations from that copy do not have safe mode issues.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's Dragonfly. It's a bug in the new CMS, where the art gallery module doesn't work properly in 'safe mode'. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me and we'll work out the bandwidth limits. I'll give you access to my bandwidth stats so you can adjust your rates as needed. Smile

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hikaru wrote:
Call me and we'll work out the bandwidth limits. I'll give you access to my bandwidth stats so you can adjust your rates as needed. Smile

The bandwidth limit will likely be more noticable with the current ISP. They say it's a 3MB connection, but that's only burstable from what I see. All in all, the backup will take up around 4GB (compressed, etc.), which will take a few hours at best.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. We should be able to handle that without any issues.

Cheers.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, due to other delays, the migration that would have taken place tonight will be delayed. I was unable to get certain changes completed until earlier today, which the migration depended on. Since I could not notify other domain controllers and resellers in time, I will hold off migrating their domains and reseller accounts unless they specify otherwise.

I am delaying the migration until Wednesday, October 26th unless I hear from the domain owners and resellers. I will then post the date and time when the migration will start.

My apologies for any confusion this has caused.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a reminder, I will perform the migration early tomorrow morning (Wednesday) at 1am. I'm going to email all site owners to remind them of the update, and to make sure they update all appropriate DNS records if necessary.

If you own a domain on this server, and maintain your own DNS records, you will need to update all addresses from pointing to _removed_ to now point to _removed_.

Last edited by Whip-lash on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking all services down in 3 minutes!!!

Afterwards, you will NOT be able to access the server other than via HTTP, and that will have a "Server Unavailable" message.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we back? Was it successful? Only time will tell (along with the server logs, I suppose...).

Now we're just waiting for ye olde nameservers to propagate. Derned things are just too slow. Wink
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm here and you're there unless I'm not actually seeing you there and I can't tell if you see me so here so who knows.

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum seems to work fine but I can't get my emails... did anything change there?
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Forum seems to work fine but I can't get my emails... did anything change there?

Email access should work the same. I am noticing a delay when trying to log in, which I'm investigating right now. Otherwise you should be hitting mail.planetfurry.com for POP3, IMAP, or SMTP.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: