Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Physics and other religious panderings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
BLITZ wrote:
But just imagine if that was possible, wouldn't that be really cool, to see one continent floting of another. Wink

Welcome to Ringworld.

Or to set the way-back machine, Sherman...

Welcome to Mars, Flash Gordon!

There. Now I have gone and done it. Proved my uber-geekness with one simple sentence.

Fish, older than one may think...

Hey, you don't have to be old to know Flash Gordon Wink

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

Oh, I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination. I have an older view on life, and wish I had been alive in other centuries at times...ok, alot of the time! It's just that I have seen all of the Flash Gordon Serials as a child. ON TV you silly furs. heck I'm in my early 30's!!!

I just act childish...ask my wife!

Fish

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like that myself - I have an adult's view of the sixties, as well as the forties. I'm 37, soon to be 38. (Born in 1964.)

Weird thing is, I've always had that odd adult view of the sixties - even as a child. There are times I feel like an old soul in a young body. (I was proposed to in kindergarten. I told her that we should wait until we were older, and see if we were really meant for each other. At five years old?!? Shocked )

Just my 3.1415926 cents...

Kinsfire

BLITZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
Tygon wrote:

Oh, I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination. I have an older view on life, and wish I had been alive in other centuries at times...ok, alot of the time! It's just that I have seen all of the Flash Gordon Serials as a child. ON TV you silly furs. heck I'm in my early 30's!!!

I just act childish...ask my wife!

Fish

Flash Gordon hum... I think I saw that on sci-fi once, but I didn't like it that much. Although I'm not sure if it was Flash Gordon.
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was the tripe from the late seventies, I don't blame you.

Queen's music was hysterical, and the acting was awful.

Fish

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
if it was the tripe from the late seventies, I don't blame you.

Queen's music was hysterical, and the acting was awful.

Fish

but it's a classic Smile

I actually find it much better than 2001: Space Odysse. MUCH better.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw anything that Kubrick did that I liked. And I saw quite a bit of his stuff, one way or another.

Kinsfire

...twenty-something frigging minutes to the first spoken word in 2001:A Space Odyssey...gah...

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, how the that movie ever managed to become one of the classics of sci-fi?

I mean, I read the book and it is a really good one but that movie... I admit, I've never seen it completely... because after a least 30 minuted I fell asleep.

And even worse. according to some reviews I read written by people who only saw the movie and never read the book the movie leaves questions open that a almost clearly answered in the book.

BTW: One of these reviews said that "Everybody who likes silence, hearing people breathing with one ot the other piece of classical music interjected will have his fun with this 'masterpice'."

So yes, I say 2001: Space Odyssey is a bad movie.

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I rather liked the movie. I thought it was very, very good. Though the theme was different from the book. the book seemed more about Bowman, while the movie was more about HAL.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. My. Gosh.

You derelicts!

Panning one of the best movies made in the 60's!

Of course its artsy. of course its weird. What part of the sixties did we all miss?

But you have to love the visual effects of space. think about what that took back then!

The book was excellent, the movie...darn good. I love PanAm Space flights. and I love bean paste just like Dave Bowman ate!

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:
Question One: How much of the core is removed?
Just the dense, solid mass at the center? That is less than 2% of the Earth's total mass, so I'm not sure why they'd bother.
Maybe the molten iron/nickel/sulfur/oxygen mass around that solid core? That part accounts for almost a third of the total. That would make sense, assuming the evil aliens had a good method for extracting the metals.
On the other hand, if they are after, as opposed to the base metals, the thorium and other radioactives in the mantle, then we have a very different scenario. The mantle comprises about half of the total mass of the planet. It might be easier for them, in that case, to conduct a planet-wide strip-mining operation.

Question Two: How is the core removed? Teleportation? A really big, really strong soda-straw-like tube stuck through the lithosphere to the molten parts? That would make a difference.
If the core is simply winkled out of place in one (very fell) swoop, the planet would self-destruct in a matter of minutes as the liquid mantle fell into the vacuum thus created. The relatively thin and brittle lithosphere, deprived of its underpinning, would disintegrate. You would shortly have a huge, glowing ball, somewhat smaller than the planet you started with, as the kinetic energy of all those billions and billions of tons of falling magma was released as heat at the center.
Nothing would survive.
Nothing.

If the molten interior is sucked out slowly, the planet's destruction would take somewhat longer. But certainly, when as little as five percent of the mass of the mantle was removed, the (again, very thin and brittle) lithosphere would buckle and give in thousands of places. World-wide, cataclysmic earthquakes would have destroyed civilization in short order.

8<- - - snip!

Answer #1 In One Whole Piece, Intact, reached in and pulled out either mechancally or dimensionally. Preferably mechanically as to achieve the descriptio you stated in #2, "You would shortly have a huge, glowing ball, somewhat smaller than the planet you started with, as the kinetic energy of all those billions and billions of tons of falling magma was released as heat at the center."

Answer #2, still thinking about it. But in a partial sickening way- you guys sort of missed the point. It does not have to be an earth-like planet, it can be a gas giant like Jupiter, which has been speculated as having an earth-size core made up of layers surrounding a core of solid hydrogen, other solid gasses and then finally a super smooth polished round diamond hard and clear carbon.

Imagine having that as part of your marble collection!
Yes- it can be used as an energy source, or as musket balls for a very large musket, but that would be a waste of a good set of balls.

But what would happen to Jupiter, its rings, and its many moons if it were to be cored? What about surrounding planets? What about those on earth who's watching the event on their telescopes? Witnesses to the destruction and to the danger of having the debris heading into their direction...

There lies a 2-way story here, as to which end I'm trying to figure out- The Planet Corer and the Planetary system victims, and the lasting results on both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
Oh. My. Gosh.

You derelicts!

Panning one of the best movies made in the 60's!

Of course its artsy. of course its weird. What part of the sixties did we all miss?

But you have to love the visual effects of space. think about what that took back then!

The book was excellent, the movie...darn good. I love PanAm Space flights. and I love bean paste just like Dave Bowman ate!

I definately agree with you- Fish. Especially the last paragraph!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's try to give some life back to this topic Smile

Elfen_Furry wrote:
But what would happen to Jupiter, its rings, and its many moons if it were to be cored? What about surrounding planets? What about those on earth who's watching the event on their telescopes? Witnesses to the destruction and to the danger of having the debris heading into their direction...

There lies a 2-way story here, as to which end I'm trying to figure out- The Planet Corer and the Planetary system victims, and the lasting results on both.

Okay, decoring a gas giant is indeed something I didn't consider.

Well, Actualls I don't think that debrits would be a problem unless the decored planet just happened to be very close to the inhabited planet. However, to stay with the example of Jupiter, when a mass of this size suddenly is removed it could have some long term effects on the orbits of the other planet and also other objects like meteors. It might take a few decades of even longer for that to actually take a visible effect but they could be even more devastating.

Otherwise I could imagine that without Jupiter's gravity the asteroid field could be destabilized and that could pose a real danger to Earth.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decoring a gas giant. 2 things that sounds like

1: That sounds dangerously close to sucking the helium out of a balloon. would the entire spaceship get the giggles from the captain sounding like a munchkin from the wizard of oz?

2: It sounds like the liposuction of one Rush Limbaugh.

runs around screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE YOU DITTOHEADS!!!! IT WAS A JOKE!!!"

Last edited by Fishburne on Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
decoring a gas giant. 2 things that sounds like

1: That sounds dangerously close to sucking the helium out of a balloon. would the entire spaceship get the giggles from the captain sounding like a munchkin rom the wizard of oz?

2: It sounds like the liposuction of one Rush Limbaugh.

runs around screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE YOU DITTOHEADS!!!! IT WAS A JOKE!!!"

LOL! That sounds like it could be from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> fishburne All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: