Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selkat, Story I Wrote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Selkat, Story I Wrote Reply with quote

I wrote this for a class and thought it was pretty good. Please give me your opinion.

Selkat
By Freya

Many, many years ago, my sweeting, this place that we now live in, this city of Selkat, was nothing but a rock-strewn beach. It was only because of the Selkie’s tears that this land is now able to hold any sort of life. Why do you ask me of this, my angel? Have I not told you of the Selkie and her childer? Then hush and listen, and then to bed with you!

Many years ago, before even your great-great-grannies granny was born, there lived a Selkie. What is a Selkie, you ask? I was about to tell you, sweetling. Now hush. A Selkie is a creature of both the land and the sea. A man or a woman who can change their shape to that of a seal, provided that they forever keep their seal pelt with them.

Where was I? Ah, yes. Now, there was a Selkie who possessed a strong sense of curiosity, stronger even then that of a cat. Her name has been forgotten, for it was so long ago, but she was said to be just as beautiful as she was curious. Well, one day, this Selkie was swimming in her seal form by a rocky beach when she saw a dog. Now, the wee lass had never seen a dog before, and was incredibly stricken by the creatures pretty pelt.

Trundling onto land, the lass, still seal-shaped, flopped towards the small creature. The dog, seeing an unknown animal coming towards it, started barking and whining. This startled the lass, who quickly returned to the sea. The dog ran towards his owner, barking and carrying on so that the owner would pet it. The Selkie, seeing this, decided to return the next day to see the dog again.

The next day, the Selkie returned to the beach, again seeing the beautiful dog. However, this time, she removed her seal pelt, transforming into a beautiful human woman. The dog ran over, eager to be stroked. While the Selkie petted the dog, the dog’s owner watched from a distance, observing the beautiful woman and resolving to marry her. Stealthily, the man crept towards the seal pelt, before finally grabbing it. The Selkie, shocked, turned around to see a strange man holding her pelt. Until it was returned to her, she would be trapped on land forever.

The man married the Selkie, and the two lived together on the rocky beach. She was a good wife, although a bit odd. Oftentimes, she would stop whatever she was doing and simply stare out to sea, sometimes even wading all the way out, as far as her human self could go.

When the man and the Selkie had been married for 20 years, and the woman had borne him 7 children, her eldest daughter came to her one day.
“Why does Father keep an old seal pelt under the floorboards of my room?”
The Selkie, hearing this, dropped her dishes and ran to her eldest daughter’s room. However, her husband had heard his daughter speak, and realized that if he did not act quickly, he would lose his wife.

As the Selkie entered the girl’s room, she saw her husband leaving through the room, carrying a bundled seal pelt. Crying loudly, half from joy and half from anger at having her other self stolen, the Selkie ran after him. The children, in order for the Selkie to cook a special dinner, had started a bonfire on the beach. The husband, seeing his wife following after him, tossed the pelt into the fire.

With a cry of rage and anguish, the Selkie fell to the ground of the beach, crying piteously. She cried for eight days straight, never moving once. Finally, on the ninth day, she dropped dead from grief. Her tears, however, nourished the rocky ground so that it became able to hold life. The Selkie’s children, to honor their mother, named the land Selkat, Island of the Selkie. And that is how our land received its name.

Weeeeee!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Very special, but interesting.

Smile

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice story Freya and very well writen. Hope to see more. Smile
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, though I can see your teacher giving a B for A+ work. You know how I know them bastages...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work, my compliments. I can see this setting up the background for a number of stories should you choose to go that route.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: