Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The largest furry story series!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoobie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this supposed to be the "largest single storyline"? Or does it concern the size of the collective works of the author? (ie - all inclusive)

Question

Also, do you strip out non-story elements from the files when you do your calculations? (Such as HTML, XML, CSS, etc)
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kodayu wrote:

Mathematically Kittiara even surpasses " The Lord of the Rings". Wow!

Honestly, that's not that difficult. After all, it's just a trilogy that barely reaches 1500 pages. Depending on which copy up have.

There are a lot of serieses out there that are longer that Lord of the Rings.

kodayu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
Is this supposed to be the "largest single storyline"? Or does it concern the size of the collective works of the author? (ie - all inclusive)

Actually, it's exactly the first thing! After all some writers spread their stuff all over the web, so it's pretty impossible to take all of it into account. That's why I don't think that it's possible to do a ranking of the most productive writer. Feel free to proove me wrong... Wink
Currently this list is all about "largest single storyline" and even that is sometimes quite difficult to define. I guess some of the writers might actually be pretty pissed that I did not take all of their work into account, because up to now I have defined a "series" as an ongoing storyline about one main character or a clearly defined set of characters. I know that this is questionable too, but it was the best definition I could come up with up to now.
I do try to get rid of as many file relevant data as possible (Hikaru Katayamma even encouraged me to get rid of long copyright notes and such). I simply save the files as plain text (ASCII txt), usually that's all it takes to get rid of all the tags and such stuff...

To be quite honest, Tygon, somehow it makes me quite happy to see that the furry community has already produced a set of novels/story series that might actually compete with those of the fantasy community. Shows how much dynamic the whole fandom has got...

Shoobie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kodayu wrote:
To be quite honest, Tygon, somehow it makes me quite happy to see that the furry community has already produced a set of novels/story series that might actually compete with those of the fantasy community. Shows how much dynamic the whole fandom has got...

Honestly, I thought we WERE part of the fantasy fandom. Science-fiction and fantasy kinda go hand-in-hand.

Besides...Just 'cause I've got 1600 pages doesn't mean it's not 90% crap. I could have 20-thousand pages, and LOTR would still beat my story.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
Honestly, I thought we WERE part of the fantasy fandom. Science-fiction and fantasy kinda go hand-in-hand.

For the most part we Furries have to set us apart from the 'normal' Fantasy and Sci-Fi fandoms since they usually don't want to have anything to do with us.

Shoobie wrote:
Besides...Just 'cause I've got 1600 pages doesn't mean it's not 90% crap. I could have 20-thousand pages, and LOTR would still beat my story.

Matter of opinion. In case you can't tell so far, I'm not that much a fan of Lord of the Rings.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

Is that the books or the movie?
(I loved the books, but the movie was a disappointment)

Besides, many of the most successful sci-fi writers have made furry books...
(They may not call them furry, but, still...)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Shoobie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I would point out several clear distinctions between fantasy and sci-fi, I don't think furry writing is (usually) that much outside those two realms to be a seperate entity. Maybe the communities, but not the writing. Furry writing is very fantasy/sci-fi oriented. By nature and by wrote.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Well....

Okay, okay. I read the books and liked them. I saw the movies and liked them as well.

However, i simply HATE it when something gets hyped and Lord of the Rings got (and still gets) hyped a LOT.

When almost everybody likes something that is reason enough for me not to like it.

In addition to that, to me Lord of the Rings is nothing special. It was in its time and true, it defined the fantasy genre. However, nowadays it is just one fantasy story among many. At least to me.

Just to explain my point of view.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyped?

Nooo.... you don't say....

They were only selling the 'Limited directors cut edition' DVD of the last movie in gas-stations here in Norway....

That's not limited edition...

My Tenchi Muyo OVA DVD set is limited edition...
(no. 2970 out of 3000)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Shoobie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tygon"]
anthony wrote:
When almost everybody likes something that is reason enough for me not to like it.

That doesn't sound like a very healthy reaction. You can not care to read it, but why do you have to "not like it"?

LOTR is a good story. Aside from the hype, it's widely liked because it's a good story.

Just because a good product is widely liked, doesn't mean you should hate it.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
That doesn't sound like a very healthy reaction. You can not care to read it, but why do you have to "not like it"?

LOTR is a good story. Aside from the hype, it's widely liked because it's a good story.

Just because a good product is widely liked, doesn't mean you should hate it.

It gets on my nerves. You see Lord of the Rings here, Lord of the Rings there... I got enough of it.

Believe me I was NOT happy when Games Workshop started their Lord of the Rings tabletop wargame.

Cirrel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon has a point. There is such a thing as TOO much of a good thing. I guess the thing that urks me about the LOTR hype is that SOMEONE is making truckloads of money but it isn't the one who created the work. The massage I get from that is "To hell with creativity. Let another poor slob do that. Just go into marketing and make money off of them."

Can you say "Parasite?"

Marketers are at about the same level as Lawyers in my book. Nuff said.

Cirrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Well....

Besides, many of the most successful sci-fi writers have made furry books...
(They may not call them furry, but, still...)

Theres a stigma now that didn't exist just a few decades ago.
It has more to do with fannish politics than a general dislike of furry fandom; seeing as how such respected names as Heinlein and Gordon Dickson did furry characters who expressed a clear sexual interest in their human characters in more than one or two novels.

(Can't recall the exact title of Dickson's character- Ensign Flaherty? Flannery? used tiger based characters, and the female captain of the Tigery was every bit as blatantly interested in the human character as any current era yiffy story character. Heinlein's "Glory road" is only one example of a furry supporting character that expresses the same interest in a human- though its a tiny vignette where nothing happens.)

The "furry hating" clique in general fandom tends to have a lot of other issues as well; mostly relating to being uncomfortable with nudity in art, sex in general, or public displays of affection.
Taken as a whole, their problem with furry is only a symptom of their larger personal problems.
Were just convenient to them as highly visible scapegoats when they want someone to feel superior to in order to suppress their own feelings of inadequacy and insecurity.

I stopped going to the regular SF cons a long time ago because I no longer felt welcome at them- but I'm told now that many of them have improved their attitude towards other fannish groups.

I might start going to regular SF cons again, if the next loscon proves to be worth attending.

-Badger-

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was Gordy's long-time cohort in crime, Poul Anderson, and his "Ensign Flandry" (*chuckle* do the "Hoka" stories ever have a Hoka expressing interest that way in a human?). Heh, Dominic Flandry probably wouldn't have cared that much, either, something of a delicious rake and scountrel at times and a delightful character to read about. Of course, I wouldn't put too much debauchery past Anderson's Nicholas Van Rijn, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironbadger wrote:
Theres a stigma now that didn't exist just a few decades ago...

That's certainly true, though I'm sure some of you will admit that it's not un-deserved.

While open affection and nudity-in-art are part of the furry community, they aren't so much an accepted part by much of the rest of the non-furry world. Especially since some furries tend to overplay these points (often in places where they probably shouldn't).

Us furry folk have some serious points to address when it comes to opening ourselves and our works to the general public.

1. Animal people, okay, fine. I think a lot of people can easily accept the anthropomorphic concept going on here. What a lot of people can't easily grasp (especially without explanation) is the difference between a furry nude drawing (or writing), and bestiality. Most simply run in horror. The rest you have to explain the difference (your understanding) between what is Furry, and what is primitive-animal. Even then they usually say "Ah, okay..." and never speak of it again. You're vindicated, but no-longer visited or taken seriously.

2. We are a relatively new genre of fiction and art, and not many people understand us.

3. Too much sex, and too many risky sexual areas. We furries are probably the most sexually-active fiction fandom in existence. Why? I'm not sure. Still, while sex may be a great thing, it's not a great thing to be labeled with. It does us no good to be widely known as the “animal nymphomaniacs.” It can easily appear to some that we are a fandom that exercises no control or morality, existing instead in a kind of hippie-era group orgy. The furry community is also very heavily knotted into “risky” sexual areas, such as homosexuality and bisexualism. While I’m not going to point out my views on either, I will note that these are two things that do not meet well in the rest of the fiction world, and with the way it is forced through by the furry community it is no wonder why many people are turned away.

4. The fandom has many, many pockets, where there appears to exist little more maturity and intellectual prowess than that of the most perverted Anime on crack. Furries are known for being silly, and it is the nature of our characters to be playful. However, many people would rather not dive into toon-town, nor do they care much for anything more zany than a British comedy.

5. The amount of serious, grounded work that gets fed out into the public’s hands (I’m talking physically) is so little, that in many places we are regarded as little more than a hobby area for writers and artists, rather than a genre for serious and full-time creative efforts. You can go through an entire bookcase and more at a bookstore and not lay your finger on a single furry novel. You’d be lucky to find one furry piece of artwork in any professional art gallery. Though part of this is due to the nature of furry art and writing, I believe strongly that there is simply too much talent being wasted. More furries need to get their works out into the public. Push short stories, novels, and other works into as many venues as possible. Create artwork and do the same. Remember who your audience will be, do some compromising and toning down, and you’ll find you have some great stuff that people will love.

Anyway, that’s some of my two cents, coming from a furry/sci-fi author.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: