Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New snippit for judgement, part one of Wyldverse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabhacson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: New snippit for judgement, part one of Wyldverse Reply with quote

To Wish Upon the Moon
I don't have relationships. Of all the character flaws in a person, this is my biggest. I don't have relationships. At least, not with people. I have a flirting affair with the breeze, often following it around on this misadventure or that, and I have one love affair with the moon. To the moon, I am faithful, mostly because it's pretty steady with me. No real surprises, no cheating, and she's always there when I need her. Tonight is one of those nights that I need the company, and there's nobody else out there that cuts it. I have yet to have a real relationship with someone. I mean, I even acknowledge that I'm not the most normal guy out there, being as how I'm on a tree growing out of a ledge, about a hundred or so feet up from the creek below, no net, no tie line, just kicked back lounging and sighing my love.
Honestly, though, every time I come out here, climb the little trail that must have been made by a squirrel, climb the tree, and sigh my love, I'm also freverently wishing for something slightly more tangible. I mean, I am a guy. I have wants. The flesh has needs. And I am NOT arrogant enough to think that I'm better than indulging. Hell, I Want to indulge, but I'm picky as hell. That's my other problem. I have a thing for quality and depth. I don't think about settling with some lass who's into American Idol, or thinks that half the stuff on TV equates to quality entertainment. I'm not going for about seventy to eighty percent of Texas. I'm one of those idiot romantics who's holding out for that one princess to come into my life and rescue me on occasion. Thus, I'm just about terminally single.
But on the upside, I do have the moon. And she's pretty loyal. And not having anything else that steady, I'll make due.
And faithful as I am when I can, I climb out here and sigh my affection for her. She's full tonight, too, so I get the added bonus of watching her turn the world silver for me, and enjoying the splendor of a jewel box of lights that is the city. Ah, the visual gems that my love grants me. I've always had a thing for a good view, and like virginity, this is my first. Best part of the evening is that I can come back here once a month and enjoy it all over again.
Still, there is a part of me, a rather large part of me, that fantisizes about bringing someone up here, spreading my arm out to present this splendor. I grin to myself at the practicality of such a thought. No, I'm really going to find a woman willing to climb a cliff with me just for a view. Oh, the romance, I think to myself wryly. And then the urge just to have someone to fall asleep next to presents itself again, reminding me that I am still very much of the flesh. Damn my body sometimes. Damn my heart. I still want a mate. I still want to share this, even as I'm greedily enjoying it all to myself. I consider my whole philosophy on the matter. Yes, to a point, I'd be willing to give up this for one night with the proper woman. I'm just about that lonely.
I look up at the moon, the most faithful thing in my life and once more ask for just one night. With the right woman. Please?
The moon, as usual, has nothing to say on the matter though.
After a bit, I finally accept that I'm not going to get anything concrete out of my love. She's not going to share me, it seems, so I'm back to my feral and fey ways. Unslinging my pack, I open it up and dig out the short length of line and the D ring. With this, I manage to get myself tied into a swiss seat, and from there get the D ring linked in. Still in my pack is the rope log that I use for repelling, and I grab it up by the mid loop and drop the whole pack down the cliff. It leaves out line as it travels until it hits the creekbed far below. From there, I haul back up half the line and lazily loop it around the tree, link myself into the line, and take a running jump off it and the ledge. I know the tree will take the wieght and the strain, it's stood up to flood conditions, me, I'm a small fry by comparison. I go flying off the cliff, feeling the erotic rush of adreanaline and the laughing murder parts of me that love this even more than my romance for the moon. My break hand snaps down, and I'm spun in mid air by the tug of the line on my D ring, and sent almost crashing back into the cliff. It's a move that I've practiced a time or two, and it's still a rush. I stick my feet out and brace for the impact.
And have a split instant where my brain registers that my feet have crunched when they hit, and noting to myself that it's not supposed to sound like that hitting stone.. It almost sounds like I've hit something akin to plexiglass or safety glass, and I get just enough time to the the "OH" part of "OH frak* SHIT" out before I'm THROUGH the glass. As my mind is still processing the fact that this is a cliff face, not a window, my reality begs to differ as I feel gravity suddenly tug me violently downward in a sensation that registers as "Your line has been cut, have a nice day" and I land rather painfully on my backside.
What the frak*?? OWch!
Well, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell just happened, dazidly still getting to my feet, when something clubs me over the head. Good night sweet prince, I saw only blackness after that.
I woke up later, much later by my clock, to the itching that comes with bugs feasting on you, thinking that if you're not moving, you're a meal. The rock that my cheek is resting on is warm and that registers with me as bedrock, which means I'm at the bottom of the creekbed. Reflexively, I put a hand to the back of my head, wondering what hit me, and am very surprised to find no lump. My pack is still packed too, the rope log I find neatly curled up in there, but not in a fashion that I'd normally use for it. I can tell that someone's gone through my day pack too. My penny roll that I keep duct taped up for slugging someone has been taken apart and all the pennies in it are loose in my bag. My copy of "The Book of Five Rings" that I keep in there has the back creased all throughout it, a pure sin in my personal beliefs. And oddest of all, for someone who's just crashed hard and had his line broken, I'm surprisingly free of things like cuts and scrapes and bruises. Though these bug bites are starting to irk me just a lot. I shake my head at all this, utterly disturbed by both what I remember, and what has been left before me.
Groggily I get to my feet and start to wander home when the rest of my brain boots up and I stop dead in my tracks. It's not a feeling I get very often, as it's mostly out of use and doesn't have much application or practice as I'm not often in a hostile enviornment anymore, but when I do get this feeling, I sit up and pay attention. It's the feeling of being watched. The hair wants to stand up on the back of my neck, and I'm suddenly a LOT more disturbed by things then I care to let on. My brain rushes between the want of Kyoko in my hands, or a good assault rifle, the feeling is screaming at me that badly.
I make the rest of my way out of the vale much the same way spec ops makes its way out of Iraq. When I get home, I grab my Type 38, lock and load, and put the barrel down sights to the path I just took. Andy knocks on my door, and opens it to see me with a rifle looking out the window..
"Bad time?" He askes me somewhat nervously.
"Kinda." I somewhat answer him. I'm still scanning my backtrail. I can't shake the feeling yet. Something out there is watching me.
"Have fun camping?" Andy asks behind me.
"Camping?" I repeat confused. What the hell is he talking about..
"Yea, camping. You've been gone for three days." He says somewhat annoyed. I know why. I imagine work's called about a dozen times. I've been shirking my responsibilities. All of this hits me like a wave. On top of it is the obvious question.. Where the frak* have I been for three days?

Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Seabhacson, Your story is deep, It says what many a sensitive man has thought at one point or another in his life. It show the feelings and depth in his desire to have some one that loves him for who he is but is willing to join him in his interest in hiking.

Mrs. Editor is on the floor:

You stopped it at a good point, and left the reader with the question "What happed to him over the three days?" It drags the reader back to the story just about every time in a well written work, which I consider you story or the part that was up to be well written.

I saw no typos that jumped out at me Yelling "See me, see me" or any others for that matter but I could of missed them.

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Seabhacson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: So I take it you liked it.. Reply with quote

Well, that makes me glad. Now all I need is a place to post the full stuff. Live Journal just isn't cutting it.
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Mike our local librarian I'm sure he has a place for your story.
Smile Very Happy

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: