Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sabrinas dead, noooooooo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hortmage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly (and it's been about 2 1/2 years), I had just learned about Paul S. Gibbs' death when I stumbled on "When You Return."

I hadn't known Paul long at all... but I'd read his most excellent stories posted on his site. I was in a forum conversation with him about a point on one of the stories when he stopped responding. I thought Real Life had just taken him away from the computer for a few days...but instead, it had been Death. Crying or Very sad

I found "When You Return" the week after I learned about Paul. I've mentally linked the story to that sad period of time in my mind...perhaps why it hits me more than it hits others. Crying or Very sad

With Leonato (and probably most of the rest of you on this forum), Chapter 6, Final Farewell, and the other linked stories will hit you harder...not only because it's a sad story...but because you have an emotional link with Sabrina. Most of us have read Eric's comic, Chris' and James' stories, as well as some of the other fanfics...Sabrina is not a story character, she's practically family.

I hope Chris gets back on speaking terms with his Muse (and his computer repair-fur) and shares some more of his work with us!

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 6 is a hard chapter, but everyone handles death in a different way. Even the death of a story book character.

To this life long community service worker, I have seen it in many forms to many people and gotten cold to it for I must continue to do my job no matter what. Sometimes when I go home, I remain cold and am so for many days until the ordeal is over. Not that my heart goes out to all out there, I do have emotions, but sometimes it must be held tightly against the pressure and hold it until the pressure is gone. Then deal with it afterwards.

Sabrina dying was hard. But one must continue onward. If you think that one is too hard and too cold to be like this, even professionals cry. We just dont want to have the public we serve and protect see us in our weakest moments. Sadly, the media would want to plaster our faces on papers and screens if we are to be caught in weakness. We dont go doing that to the victims we rescue, nor do we use our skills and assets to make ourselves look better than others. We do what we think is right in order to save another life, so if we have to be cold, then so be it. Just understand.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
mrblanche

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Going back a little... Reply with quote

There was a passing mention early in this thread of Ann McAffrey.

Much of what is touching in the stories of Sabrina et al can be found in Ann's books "The _____ Who _____." The first, I think, was "The Ship Who Sang."

If you've missed those, you've missed some great books.

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ship who sang rocked. I loved that book as a kid.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed The Ship Who Sang but I really loved The Ship who Searched. A teaming of McCaffery and Lackey is a difficult duo to best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrblanche

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

I have to say the one thing about chapter 6 is that Sabrina's demise comes at the fault of a trucker.

As one of those things myself, I feel really bad about it. This is the horror of the business...this is what we fear every day...this is what runs good drivers out of the cab. By the way, a VERY minor point: On an icy surface, if a truck hits a car, unless the car is held in place by something, like a guardrail or another car or another truck, the car usually scoots away, minimizing damage.

I've had one experience akin to this. I assisted at an accident (not involving a truck) where a drunk had run into a family. The family's car was upside down; mom and dad in the front were already dead, and I held the little boy's hand (he was about 6) through the broken window until his sobs for his parents and his pain were ended by his total stillness. That still haunts me every day.

The drunk, by the way, was walking around in fairly good shape when I got there. When a number of other truckers got there and discovered what happened, they put him back in his car and made sure the trip out for the ambulance was worth its time, if you get my drift.

Sabrina gone...NOOOOOOOOOO!

--Mr. Buffett
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrblanche, then you know how it feels. This retired lifeguard knows that feeling too well- both in and out of the line of work.

The basis of mathematics alone, Sabrina will die sometime in Tabitha's past. The question is when. To be in an accident and later die in a hospital is probably the worse way to go when one is conscious is their surroundings and the events that are transpiring around them. To have Alan and Chris witness the passing, is bad- but I stay with Chris' actions and opinions- better for the child to know what happened then to sugar coat his world and make him live in make believe. I lost a good friend that way... died 10 days after a serious car crash, when it seemed that she was recovering well. Its the accident that bothers me... the car (a first gen hyundai on its maiden long distance voyage) speeding along to stay with traffic (about 75mph), when in trying to pass a big rig tractor trailer, gets caught in a gust of wind, lifts off the ground and tumbles across the highway and down a field. That car model was recalled for a steering defect, but I do not know if my friend's particular car was sent in for the recall or not. She was the only casulty in the accident, though her friend (who was driving) and her 10 month old daughter survived with only scratches.

For me its always been not the death itself, but how we handle it, because we have to handle with it for the rest of our lives.

Putting blame on the driver is not the right thing unless it is that obvious (like in the case of drunk drivers, which it is their fault). When your vehicle goes out of control, no matter what the driver's manual say or any training course may have taught, there is a point where you have to let go of the steering wheel and pray to the god of your belief for the best possible of outcomes, and sent a mental message of 'I Love You" to those close to you- because it is out of your control and there is nothing that you can do about it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
mrblanche

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen my share of crashes. The bad news for me (and other truckers) is that we do so many miles, we are likely to be the first on the scene of almost any accident.

I've driven almost 2,000,000 miles, the last 1,200,000 of which were without an at-fault accident or ticket. In that time, I've been hit by 3 drunk drivers, one young lady who didn't know how to drive on ice, and one young lady who just wasn't paying attention.

Car accidents are the "American" way to die, it seems, and it's natural enough for Sabrina to go that way...especially in view of the strips over the last several months!

I'm enjoying the stories, by the way.

I have one story circulating on the internet--The Cat Burglar. I wrote it when I was a sysop on the CompuServe Pets Forum, and I did it in fairly short installments and tried to include the members' names and their pets names, so it will never pass for great literature.

When I graduated from college, I intended to write the Great American Novel. After 10 years, I would have settled for a Good American Novel. Now I'd be happy for The Downright Lousy American Novel That Sold 10,000,000 Copies Plus Movie Rights!

--Mr. Buffett
Razorwind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
T'was "All the Weyrs of Pern" The seen where Robinton died. I not only cried, I had to set the book down, and couldn't finish it until many weeks later. Thinking about the scene still brings that feeling back. That is one book I can't read again...

Yup, same here

I've read all but the harperhall <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=books&v=55">books</a>, and own most of em.

now to actually read Tabitha instead of waiting for the next Sab chapter <^_^>

OK now I've read Tabitha and...OMFG! amazing work Chris, and james!

Chapter 13 now explains that part in sab story, its all clear now

yay

Razorwind
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razorwind wrote:
...now to actually read Tabitha instead of waiting for the next Sab chapter <^_^>

OK now I've read Tabitha and...OMFG! amazing work Chris, and James!

On behalf of James and myself, thanks!

Quote:
Chapter 13 now explains that part in sab story, its all clear now

yay

And don't think those crossovers are all that easy! But dammit, they're fun Smile

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't remember for the life of me where I'd read that. Now I remember, you'd forwarded it to me a couple of years back!

Trust me, I care for Sabrina too, just as if she were family. James will tell you just, in his words, "how bad" I have it for her, and he's right.

Now, as I've said before, imagine being me and feeling that way, and having to write her passing.

It was like writing Chapter 28 and part of Chapter 25.

I was in field service at the time (still am, but with another company). I'd keep the radio off and work on The Story chapters. It got to where I couldn't see the road for tears (I-79 at 65-70 MPH), my throat was sore and I couldn't breathe through my nose ... it was hell writing those.

Eric no longer pre-approves my writing, but he was when I wrote Chapter 6 of Tabitha (thanks to Chapters 25 and 28 of Sabrina. I'm glad it hit him the way it seemed to have hit The Teeming Millions as well, and he gave his OK. Forever grateful for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
otis411

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there hasn't been any posts in years.

But I would like to say when I read chapter 6 in Tabitha the Story and the other 5 "Variations on a Theme".

It was beyond sad and my reaction is mostly different than most people do.

You may find this a bit unusual, my reaction was a panic attack. Crying or Very sad

After seeing some of the artwork based on it, they are pretty well done, and reading parts of the stories, something very weird happens during the day, only when I read any of the 6 stories and/or look at the artwork! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Coincidences!

One example was I got stuck in an elevator for two minutes, it was in a car #2 on the second floor. 2+2+2=6 (CHAPTER 6 Shocked ) and it happened on a Tuesday on December 29th, 2009. January 11th, 2011 falls on a Tuesday and If you make January 11, 2011 a mathematical equation, like this 1+1+2+0+1+1=6! It's like that day it fits with chapter 6. Kind of scary! So many strange coincidences.

But the story was well written and I would like to compliment that how well it was written, the other ones too. Smile

I like how Tabitha was an adult in the story and went back in time! Very Happy
Very well done job. Very Happy
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis411 wrote:

That doesn't matter. These forums are always open!

Quote:
But I would like to say when I read chapter 6 in Tabitha the Story and the other 5 "Variations on a Theme".

You may find this a bit unusual, my reaction was a panic attack. Crying or Very sad

Holy moley! I'm delighted you felt the impact, but I'm sorry it was to that level!

Quote:
After seeing some of the artwork based on it, they are pretty well done, and reading parts of the stories, something very weird happens during the day, only when I read any of the 6 stories and/or look at the artwork! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Coincidences!

One example was I got stuck in an elevator for two minutes, it was in a car #2 on the second floor. 2+2+2=6 (CHAPTER 6 Shocked ) and it happened on a Tuesday on December 29th, 2009. January 11th, 2011 falls on a Tuesday and If you make January 11, 2011 a mathematical equation, like this 1+1+2+0+1+1=6! It's like that day it fits with chapter 6. Kind of scary! So many strange coincidences.

James and I have The Power. Don't make us mad. Wink

Quote:
But the story was well written and I would like to compliment that how well it was written, the other ones too. Smile

Thank you!!

Quote:

It ain't done yet, stay tuned! Cool
Benleopard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apox unpon thy for such taunts... lol

otis411

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:
otis411 wrote:

That doesn't matter. These forums are always open!

Quote:

Holy moley! I'm delighted you felt the impact, but I'm sorry it was to that level!

Quote:

James and I have The Power. Don't make us mad. Wink

Quote:

Thank you!!

Quote:

It ain't done yet, stay tuned! Cool

You are very welcome!
You two got the Power!!!! Very Happy

I am looking forward to seeing chapter 14! Very Happy

Elevators are a way to get up and down. Especially at speeds of at least 1600 Feet/Minute (8m/s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: