Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furry Skies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramis Dagaz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I knew about the Crimson Skies canon when I read "Furry Skies" was that the US collapsed into small, independent states after the stock market crash and that the sky was the only neutral and effective way to transport goods because the railways crossed so many borders. This resulted in more advanced aeronautical technology for the era and the rise of sky pirates.

Even with just this tidbit, I didn't need to know the big picture of Crimson Skies to enjoy the story. Tygon, you did an adequate job of presenting the basic information necessary to understand the background. There were a few points where such descriptions could have slowed down the action, but fortunately you didn't go there. Detailed descriptions in the middle of action scenes can make for story-telling, but you managed to avoid this pitfall and keep the pace. Good job.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... thanks for the compliments, Shadu and Aramis.

I can only hope that the next installment will be as good as this one. I'll certainly do my best.

Shadu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just telling it ast it is. I can't wait for the next one. Mr. Green

(short comments today been kinda blocked in the mind sectioon since yesturday) Confused

Nosnibor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great story. Very vivid airfigths, and enough background and technical details to understand what's going on, even for readers who (like me) know nothing about Crimson Skies.
Tygon wrote:
Dragon-Kitsune wrote:
I actually at one point thought that the Marauders were gonna win, but I should have know better. Bad guys just never win.

Well, the jury is still out on who are actually the good and who the bad guys in this story.

The Marauders are portrayed as pretty likable, with understandable reasons for being pirates. And they seem averse to unnecessary bloodshed, which is also a sign of the not-so-bad guys.
But Tygon being on the other side makes them the bad guys, of course. Wink
(on the other paw... the Marauders are fighting for the Law; that's got to be worth something) Smile
Tygon wrote:
Dragon-Kitsune wrote:
There would have been more reason for the "it's personal" if the boarding team would have e.g. threathened Victoria or kept her as hostage for awhile(of course she wouldn't have been harmed in any way). She was shocked yes, but she was completely safe for the entire story.

Yeah... strange, isn't it?

About as strange as having a traitor among the crew. Lots of interesting possibilities for the sequel...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosnibor wrote:
A great story. Very vivid airfigths, and enough background and technical details to understand what's going on, even for readers who (like me) know nothing about Crimson Skies.

Thanks Nosnibor. I'm glad to hear that I managed to make the story enjoyable for people who don't know Crimson Skies.

Nosnibor wrote:
The Marauders are portrayed as pretty likable, with understandable reasons for being pirates. And they seem averse to unnecessary bloodshed, which is also a sign of the not-so-bad guys.

Ah, good. that's how I wanted to show them.

Nosnibor wrote:
But Tygon being on the other side makes them the bad guys, of course. Wink
(on the other paw... the Marauders are fighting for the Law; that's got to be worth something) Smile

I was waiting for that pun (which was unintended BTW) come back and bite me in the tail Wink

Nosnibor wrote:
About as strange as having a traitor among the crew. Lots of interesting possibilities for the sequel...

That's how it was intended, I fully admit that. I think the material has potential and I intend to use it.

Pflarrian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad you've started writing again. Mr. Green
Shadu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That too is a very good thing. i agree with you completely pflarrian. Very Happy
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, guys, so am I Smile
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good story. The fight was well done, if a little unrealistic. But I think that has more to do with the tech as it is given in the scenario than how it was done.

The only thing I really did not like was the last scene. Well, this is the 30s, not the 90s, but I did not see Vicktoria as being that easily scared, especially since she was (as far as I know) never in any direct danger (unless the fight with the boarding party took place right outside her cabin). Same with the "Now it's personal."
That ending just does not fit with the rest of the story.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
Pretty good story. The fight was well done, if a little unrealistic. But I think that has more to do with the tech as it is given in the scenario than how it was done.

Well, Steam Punk (what the setting is) is like that. Maybe not hardcore steampunk but still steampunk.

Nameless wrote:
The only thing I really did not like was the last scene. Well, this is the 30s, not the 90s, but I did not see Vicktoria as being that easily scared, especially since she was (as far as I know) never in any direct danger (unless the fight with the boarding party took place right outside her cabin).

All I can say is that you have a point.

Nameless wrote:
Same with the "Now it's personal." That ending just does not fit with the rest of the story.

Hmmm... can't really say much to that either... I thought it was fitting nicely.

Cooldrew100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Ty!! I read one of the Crimson Skys novels, and this definitel stacks up against it. Do you have any idea when the next part will be done?
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Cooldrew.

Regarding a next part, I have really no idea... there are many other stories I need to work on first.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have re-read this story a few times in the last days and thought about the plans I had for it. After some long pondering I have decided to re-write it some day to erase all traces of Microsoft owned material.

This will not be done because I have something against Microsoft but because I was to turn it into my own, furry-alternate-history world so I don't have to worry about lawyers standing in front of my door some day. Also, this would allow Mike to sell prints of it, if he wants to.

Some of your might have noticed that Furry Skies leaves some questions un-answered. I have more stories planned that will answer these questions. However, first I need to get this re-write done, which will also require me to work out a completely new background. If anybody wants to offer his help with that, I would gladly accept it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you people know.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the actual problem is that the entire "Crimson Skies" setting belongs to Microsoft, not so much the names of certain people or Operating Systems (for computers which don't exist in that time anyway)
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon? If you want, I can offer some suggestions on this - I'll try and be online Wednesday morning, my time, if it's any help. Otherwise, drop me an email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tygon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: