Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Speculation on Tabitha's Curse.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: A Speculation on Tabitha's Curse. Reply with quote

In time travelling back into time to rescue her sister from being killed in a car accident, Tabitha has guarenteed onto all one thing:

Though a bright star Sabrina short life was, in being a normal life thereafter made her into just another average Skunkette, who has a job/carreer, a child and a husband. Did she aspire into greatness? Perhaps into her early years she did; but later in life, she fell into the rut of everyday living.

The Adventures of Sabrina With Chris and Alan are to become everyday things that couples enjoy. No evil mad furs to fight on, no helpless princeses to save. Just a lot of sleeping, snoring, working hard and hardly working days to meet the challenges of paying one's monthly bill and feed one's empty stomaches. Ocassionally, there will be tiny goals to set (Chris, Alan, and Sabrina at the Grand Canyon), and little demonic deeds to over come (Damn it- dinner's burnt... again...)

Sabrina will continue to be Sabrina, with little change and plenty of Skunkiness to have around. She will be the same when she is 22 as she will be when she is 52. Question is Will we still lover her, or is it better for her to die young and forever stay pretty?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Mapper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on your love for something at 22 or 52. life has its moments of bordom and intrests. Each day has the oportunity of being a best seller or a box office bomb. eventually this cycle will repeat life ends. at some point you may end it with the death at 22 or end it they lived happily ever after. or continue with the high and low points of their life till they depart this world. it all depends on the writers and the readers only they can answer that question.

Av by GreyCat

Last edited by Mapper on Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluntly spoken it's impossible to tell.

A furson's life with all its aspects is so complex that even the slightest change can have a huge impact on the end result (yes, that is the chaos theory) and Tabitha's intervention was a major change.

However, the good thing is that Sabrina's life is not subject to the Chaos theory, but to the ones who write it. Therefore I'm pretty sure that it's going to have it's interesting parts. For me that's enough.

And besides, was Sabrina's life a bight star before she died in that car accident? We know that she had a family who loved her but many 'boring' people have loving families.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reviewing a few items in TV Dave's forum, and it got me thinking.

It is not what one has done at the age of one's passing that make him/her a bright burning star, but how they continue to affect others afterwards. It has been the things they did in live, how they treated others, and what little they expect for themselves that makes the difference.

So the answer in this case is YES. At 22 or at 52 or even at 102, it does not matter not the number when things end for one but what they leave behind in things immaterial but long and perhaps forever lasting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Leonato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
It is not what one has done at the age of one's passing that make him/her a bright burning star, but how they continue to affect others afterwards. It has been the things they did in life, how they treated others, and what little they expect for themselves that makes the difference.

So the answer in this case is YES. At 22 or at 52 or even at 102, it does not matter not the number when things end for one but what they leave behind in things immaterial but long and perhaps forever lasting.

VERY well put Sir Elfen. I have seen sadder funerals of someone who was elderly, than those young. Because the elderly person of which I speak, really didnt impact many people, and when thier number finally came up (cancer)... all that was left was a heck of a lot of -nothing-... no impact, other than immediate famlily (wife and one child), there was -nothing-. Where as, when one of my friends died in a car wreck, we had a -ton- to reflect upon as to his life. And the funeral, was more a celebration of his life, than a mourning of his passing. Tis why I always say... its not the years of life, its the life in the years that counts. May we live every day as full as we possibly can!

Leonato

TGIF007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: All life has value Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Question is Will we still lover her, or is it better for her to die young and forever stay pretty?

Taken at face value, this is a terrible question to ask. The value of someone has nothing to do with their physical beauty or lack thereof. (And in any case, judging from Endora's appearance in the comic, it seems that furries age much more gracefully than the furless among us!)

While there are exceptions, I have found that people who are beautiful on the inside become more so as they age - especially as they are able to interact with and influence more and more people as time goes on.

And there is no doubt that Sabrina's beauty is much more than fur deep. If Tabitha succeeds in changing history, Sabrina will be able to bring her special light into more and more lives. By dying before her time, not only do her friends and family suffer a horrible loss (as do we!), but those whom she never had a chance to meet unknowingly suffer a terrible loss too.

TGIF
Toric

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... might draw fire for this one, but here I go.

As stated so eloquently already, The quality of life lived, not the quantity matters. It is also what one leaves behind that is the best indicator.

Analysis time.

Sabrina has a loving family, which at the point of her death, include a husband, plus her little sister, and parents. Obviously, there are more, but those are the ones we know of by name and face (there might be more that I don't know of, or don't remember, but hey, that's what threads are for). She has several friends in "The clique" Amy, Thomas, ZZ, coworkers from ZZ Studios, Clarence, Friends made at Work at Chris's company, and who knows what other friends She made here and there.

Now, I doubt her funeral would have been near empty. I've already compiled a list of likely attendees. Of those significant members of her life... Chris, her family, and her closest friends would obviously be greatly affected, to varying degrees. Those casual friends from various places of work and such would likely be saddened by the news, but I think they would quickly recover and get on with their lives, and likely even forget her.

Given the setting of Tabitha's starting time, several years after the accident, I think only her family, and close friends even know who Sabrina Foxx was. Realisticly, this does not put her as one of those "bright, shining stars." Sabrina is an average person. Her death was tragic, just like every other fur (or person for the matter) who dies, except for those who feel they have lived their full lives. In fact, the only reason their is even a discussion really, is because she happens to be the main character of a very nice story, written extremely well.

Now, Tabitha managed to get the opportunity to bring Sabrina back, by trying to prevent her death. She does so by breaking the rules, going directly against directives from those in charge of the project and her. She lies and conceals her true motive for the opportunity to be on the development team, just for the opportunity. In some ways, she resembles an obsessed, unstable fur. She has devoted a great deal of her life, risked a great deal for this. There are others who would do the same, given the chance, but I do think the vast majority would have been able to accept her death, and move on with their lives, as is generally accepted to be proper.

Should Tabitha have meddled as she did, went back, and tried to alter history? Probably not. The sci-fi genre is riddled with stories of time travel gone wrong. Altering history seems to be a bad idea, with far reaching, intricate, sometimes subtle, sometimes unsubtle ramifications. The what-ifs are nearly infinite, limited only by the imagination. Tabitha knows how things turn out in the years after Sabrina's death. We're all going to find out how things change because of going back. I don't think any of us will ever know how things would have turned out in Tabitha's future to come, had she not devoted her life obsessively to this goal, and had moved on.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in the Tabitha timeline, there is an Allen with Chris when Sabrina dies.

Allen isn't an indicator that Tabitha's succeeded in her quest.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toric

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grins*

Like I said, the waht-if's are infinite, limited only by the imnagination.

Good what-if.

It seems to me, that involvemnt with time travel is just plain bad bussiness. Some time travel occured, one of the results being Sab only having one kid, and dying before having others., one of whom ends up bing either incredibly important, or the ancestor of one such fur. Do we go in and try to fix the problem? Dunno. If we could stop the original time-transgression, that would be better, but it seems the parameters of this what-if do not give the identity of the original transgression/transgressor.
Well, we run into several problems... Sure, we save Sabrina (woo hoo!) and she gets to have her happy life, have her alotted offspring, who go on to do spiffy things. But, what other ramifications happen from this new time travel and interference?

I'd like to suggest a metaphor.

The "proper timeline" Is a calm pool of water. Time travel, and more specificly changing events, is a dive in the pool, ranging from a speck of dust alighting on the surface, to IR doing a cannonball. We have Mike's suggested original interferance with the timeline, a dive of unknown size, but one of it's known effects is Sabrina's death before giving birth to (and properly raising) one or more offspring. Who knows what other effects, what other ripples and waves this dive has created. While tabitha's dive creates some waves that interfere with and counter a portion of the original dive's waves(saving Sabrina's life and allowing her to live out a happy life), there are still ripples in other directions from both dives that still exist, and you now have an even chopier pool. Many of these waves are likely minor, and the changes they represent may not matter. Some of the changes might very well be just as significant, or more significant than Sabrina's death or happy life and reproduction. Are we going to jump in the pool and try to counter those waves also?

Some people get headaches trying to puzzle out, visualise, or simply understand alternate timelines, paradox, and various other intricacies of time travel. I don't have any such problems, but I question the the ethics. Using Time travel in the manner Tabitha is seems like using a baseball bat to try and fix an omelette that wasn't cooked right. Rather than bash away at the burnt eggs, you should try to make sure no one brings any baseball bats into the kitchen in the first place. If time travel doesn't exist, then we don't have to worry about trying to fix the mistakes created from it's reckless use and misuse, by recklessly using timetravel.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but in the Tabitha timeline, there is an Allen with Chris when Sabrina dies.

Allen isn't an indicator that Tabitha's succeeded in her quest.

As some sci-fi shows would say, "The events have yet to manifest themselves to our timelime.

For me, that sounds more like an "Uh-Oh!" than a "IT's Alive!!!"
[Place Evil Laughter Here]
(or... CLICK Twisted Evil ME!...)

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tabitha timeline is not done. so things will change after Sabrina is returned to her time. What exactly will change has yet to be seen. One thing will be the number of children that she had as The Sabrina Story confirms that Tabith was succsesful in changing that.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that I have not read StOLS in quite a while...
The problem where when Sabrina gets back to her time, will things continue as per StOLS, or diverge into another direction. Sabrina is taken foward into Tabitha's time before she meets Chris Foxx, somewhere between the termination of her webmaster/graphic artist job and her being hired at ZZ Studios.

Tabitha going back into time and giving Sabrina the cure for Endometriosis happens somewhere in the middle of the Sabrina/Chris love affair- indictating that there will be more time jumps by Tabitha in interfering with Sabrina's life. (Did I read this right or am I confusing things here?)

Third- This version of Tabitha is going to end soon. As Chris stated the story will end some where around Chapter 25, if not sooner. But he has also stated that it may not be the end of Tabitha's time travels, and who knows... Maybe Tabitha ends up in a time line where Sabrina is sterile because of her endometriosis, and goes back into time again to fix that, allowing her to have Alan. But that would have to be in another story, or if Chris can do it just right, weave it into this one towards the end.

We do not know the results until Sabrina goes home, Tabitha returns into her time and all other things are adjusted accordingly. Then the time-line will adjust itself accordingly, but to what end?

And the Question still remains- Will Sabrina be in that car accident? Also- will she survive it this time?

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabitha had the medicine when she went back the first time so that leads me to believe that Sabrina waits to take the medication or it takes a good amount of time for it to work. Tabitha planned on changing everything at once, Sabrina's death and her medical condition, as she was told that it would be impossible for anyone to travel through time after her if she succeeded, and that would include her as well. That's also why she was dead set on going through first, she had to be the first or it would be almost impossible for her to succeed.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read Sabrina carefully, Tabitha had made several jumps into Sabrina's past, not just this one as mentioned in the Tabitha story.

That means that Tabitha had made several jumps into Sabrina's past to make sure that the future outcome remains as a positive one, and constantly fine tuning the future with small adjustments and not with a big one that might end up disasterous if it turns out wrong.

Thus far- she guaranteed the birth of one child- may it be Alan or not, because she took care of Sabrina's endometriosis, which if you look it up on [url=http://my.webmd.com/hw/endometriosis/hw103057.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}]Wed MD.com[/url], causes infertility in a small number of women. What if Sabrina was one of the 8% that was infertile by the condiction? Tabitha just cured her.

-Elfen
*throwing a monkey wrench into the works*

Time Travel makes for sloppy book keeping- Squishy Doo Doo

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Tabitha Story, Sabrina gets kidnapped at about 2/99 (Aproximate date), between getting fired from her first website designer job and baby sitting the younger Tabitha. This is long before Sabrina had any physical relationship with either RC (in the comic strip) or with Chris (in StOLS).

That is several years before Tabitha's projected attempt, and a couple years off from the StOLS- where Tabitha's continual interference occurs.

Judging from the actions of Tabitha, giving Sabrina medication for her condiction, to me it does not look like a cure all, but more like a treatment for the cause. Did she give it to Sabrina in the Tabitha story line? I dont remember. Did she give it to Sabrina in StOLS? I remember that she did on a couple of occassions (remember who's memory we're all dealing with- I can be wrong).

But if Sabrina was given the medication in both stories, think of it like cancer:
Tabitha goes bak in time and gives Sabrina the medication. (1999)
Sabrina is cured (in remission).
Endometriosis returns
Tabitha returns (2000,2001,2002) to Sabrina and gives the medication to her (again).
Sabrina is cured (again - in remission 1 more time)

Will Sabrina need more medication?
We wont know, but it seems that Tabitha will return to make sure.

Will Sabrina have children?
That depends. Medically speaking- the condiction does not terminate pregnancies, in fact in most cases the symptoms almost disappear during pregnancies. But the condiction does cause sterility in 8% of those afflicted. She misscarriaged because of other reasons, I believe.

I dont want to sound like a sexist pig here- oink oink..., but pregnancy is a delicate time for females to take it easy. Anything that would happen to them, will ultimately affect the unborn child. A miscarriage is a very hard and heavy loss to those females that it happens too. But it can be the result from any reason, not just from the endometriosis as everyone tends to believe it is.

I remember Sabrina saying in StOLS, (not in these exact words), "I dont have sex around that time of the month because its painful..." To me that means that from Ovulation to the end of her menses (sp?), she tries not to have sex. If one misses that crutical ovulation point, how is she going to get pregnant? Most importantly, at this time, her hormones are in influx- and this causes her condiction to flare up as according to the medical text.

I dont think Tabitha is giving her a cure all for the condiction, but rather a treatment, and like her constant interference in StOLS shows it to be.

But it seems that Tabitha's time travelling adventures does not end with this installment of the Tabitha story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: