Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventure Kay and the Claw of Karnak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragon-Kitsune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROLF! Great work Cirrel! Very Happy

This gets better with every chapter.

Cirrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kay and the Claw of Karnak

-------------------------------

31. Plan B

A deathly pall seemed to steal over the story - Well, maybe a runny nose pall. (Can't keep this up forever ya know. Gotta let the Punny Bone heal a bit.)

"Dammit, is right!" yelled Socco, no longer his jovial self. "I'm tired of being a sock! I'm tired of being chased and kicked around. I wanna do some butt kicking!" The sock whirled on Kayngi. "You still got that stinky old boot?"

"Why are you asking about the Boot? We gotta go after those rats! Now!"

"Look," growled Socco. "Either I get a change of venue, or I'm headed back to the ether! Now GIVE THAT BOOT IN YOUR BACKPACK A NAME!"
Kayngi growled back. "I can't believe I'm arguing with a sock! ALRIGHT! I name my boot SOCCO!"

"Oh, that's original," mouthed the sock just ask it collapsed into a heap.

"You satisfied?" groused Kay.

"Oooooh! You have no idea!" said Socco's voice from her backpack.

Kay grabbed her limp sock and ran back to the Hawk Mobile. "Come on! We gotta catch those rats before they get that Claw back to the Kolonel!" She hopped in the wagon and Dr. Hawking took off in a cloud of dust and old bandages.

The cloud of dust around the pyramid entrance could only be the result of a firefight between the Badger Brigade and the rats, but Kay knew the rats would eventually win. There were too many of them.

"Just hold them off a little longer, boys." She turned to Dr. Hawking. "We've got a problem!" she yelled. "We can't destroy the arm that's attached to the claw, but somehow we have to retrieve it or prevent Kolonel Crazed Wolf from getting it."

Just then her palm pilot beeped. She quickly flipped it on.

"Doctor. Mapper here. We've managed to keep the Kolonel contained inside the Pyramid, but we're badly outnumbered here. Defense situation is untenable. We're going to have to go to ground here shortly - take the fight to the tunnels. Are you safely away?"

"Negative Mapper. Dr. Hawk-ing and the rest of us are returning to your position because the rats have acquired the Claw. That's why they're attacking your position. They're trying to get it back to the Kolonel!"

"Not good!" answered the Badger. "Ask Dr. Hawk-ing if he and the rest of you can make it to our position."

Kay asked and the Doctor garbled response was so emphatic that no interpretation was necessary.

"We can make it. We have to. See you in a bit."

She turned to the rest in the wagon , pulled out her .44 auto-mag and slapped home a clip.

"Get ready furs. We have to punch a hole through those lines big enough to drive this truck through. Cirrel? Mike? Since you're unarmed I think..."
She stared at Cirrel. He was pulling several metal parts from various places on his person. A short barrel fitted onto a pistol grip action. A second grip fitted to the front of the action, and one of the longest, fattest clips Kayngi had ever seen completed the weapon.

"12 gauge auto riot gun. Double 00 buckshot. Furs at home call it my little 'Street Sweeper'. I'm a careful kitty too."

Kay nodded. She turned to Mike.

"No heavy hardware here, but I can play munitions supplier for the rest of you."

"You can also babysit Paul Rear-vere here. Can't have a stray shot puncturing our gas tank."

The little gas guy started to shiver.

Soon dem bullets fly around.
Making holes in Paul so round.
Den I can't make 'Brrraaap-ing' sound.
All I do is hiss!
BRRRAAAAP!!!!!

Flattened football Paul will be!
Gas inside him all set free!
No more bouncy butt for me!
What be worse than this?
BRRRAAAAP!!!!!

Mike looked at Paul Rear-vere dubiously, but Maxx handed him a pair of 'Stinkhole River' nose plugs, and the little gas bag was more than happy to huddle in the bottom of the wagon.

"Tigermark? What has Dr. Hawking have up his 'sleeve'?" asked Kay.

The white tiger had readied his .45 Auto Estate, and just finished talking with the Hawk. "His combat chair has shielding up front, so our rear will be most vulnerable. He's counting on forward momentum to push us through and he'll be using the Tanglefoot 'silly' string to incapacitate the rats at close quarters. Our job is to lay down fire to suppress return fire from those still standing at a distance - that, and guard our rear."

Cateagle had his .45 auto ready and Maxx, his Schlock 9 mm.

"Let's get 'er done," said Kay.

"But before we do that," said Mike, "I have an idea. Does this rolling ammo dump have a public address system? Seems we still have Mall Security on our tails."

A mike shot from a slot on the back of the Hawk's chair. Mike snagged it and brought it to his muzzle.

"Mall Security! Report to Wallaby Mart! Heavily Armed (and Legged) Mall Cruisers spotted in the 50% off section! Use of excessive credit-checks is authorized. And will the Red Wallaby Mart associate with the White Jersey please pick up the Blue phone? It fell off the wall again."

Half their pursuers disappeared the way they came.

"That's one less headache," Mike said.

"They aren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas Tree, are they?" mused Cirrel.

"We still got plenty to contend with up ahead," Kay pointed out.

"Maybe not," said Cirrel, taking the mike. "Mike's idea just gave me an idea. What can best strike fear into the heart of your average rat?"

"A visit from their Ex's lawyer?"

"Besides that." Cirrel was smiling, but his throat was making a low, guttural growl.

"Ahhh!" said Kay, returning the smile. She turned to Tigermark, Maxx, and Cateagle who were looking at her and nodding.

Kay winked and turned up the volume on the microphone to max levels.

"Okay boys. Let's make it sound like it's SUPPERTIME!"

In unison, the five felines cut loose with the most horrendous, bloody-thirsty, and HUNGRY sounding cat-scream. The over-amplified caterwauling shook the clearing to its roots. Rocks split, trees fell, rats chit their britches, and in an instant, the area around the Pyramid was nearly deserted.

"OOOEEEAAARREEooooEEE!"

"What he say?"

"Either 'Spam shakes like warm puss!' or 'Dammit! Ya shoulda warned us!"

Cirrel apologized to the Hawk as they came up to the surprised Badgers.

Mapper looked a bit put off. "And here I thought we were going to have a most enjoyable pitched battle!" Kay looked worried until the Badger smiled. "Actually, that little maneuver was pretty good - almost as good as our Badger Call."

"Better!" said Kay grinning back. "Our little 'love song' is species specific. The Badger Call simply drives everyone nuts."

"True," agreed Mapper. "That is one of its drawbacks. Anyway, none of the rats got through, but they'll probably be massing for a second attack. The full moon tonight means we'll have activity throughout the night."

Sure enough, after changing their trousers, it looked like the rats were coming back.

"We'd better move inside and apprehend the Kolonel," said Mapper. "That'll be the best way to insure he doesn't get the Claw. I have a feeling the rats won't be trying a frontal assault this time. We discovered a freshly dug access tunnel up on the Pyramid and we can't do our battle thing and keep our eyes on every square inch of this dirt pile."

Kay shrugged out of her backpack. "I need all the mobility I can get in closer quarters then. Mike could you...?"

"Let me," said Cirrel, grabbing the strap. "Since Socco, the boot, is no longer 'shoulder friendly', I'll talk to him in his backpack bungalow instead. I need to ask him a few things about the setup here. We might discover likely areas where the Kolonel is hiding."

"Alright with you Socco?"

"'S'alright." flapped the backpack.

Tigermark tapped Mapper. "Should we leave a rear-guard? I'm thinking if we made a big show of entering the Pyramid, the rats might forget ideas about other entrances, hoping to lose us in the tunnels once they're inside. And that's a real possibility given the setup here. If a well hidden badger could spot the Claw coming in, he might be able to tag it someway, and we'd have some idea of their direction and progress."

Mapper looked to Radar, who was already holding up a small sphere.

"Do it."

Radar disappeared into the entrance.

Mapper turned back to the others. "Special Paint-Ball load. Transmitter's encased in sticky gel." He gave the frequency. "It's short range. Maybe 30 yards in these tunnels, but it's something. Badger Brigade? Standard Tunnel Warren Deployment. Tigermark's with the Hawk in my squad. Mike and Maxx, stick with squad A. Drs. Cirrel and Kayngi go with C Squad. Cateagle, you're in squad D. If anyone finds the Kolonel, radio if in range, otherwise, use the Badger Call. That'll reach us anywhere this side of Jupiter. Okay, let's move."

And once more, like a colonoscopy gone horribly wrong, it was back into the bowels of Club Dead.

------------------------------

Cirrel

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooooh, it's getting so exciting! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Fear the hungry cat call!
Den Mother of PF

I got ART
http://kayngi.deviantart.com/
http://kayngi.sheezyart.com
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirrel, been laughing and waking everyone else in the block up XD

thanks a bunch dude, that was awesome... too awesome Very Happy

Mapper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Agreed this is getting very exciting, A pleasure to come home and be able to Relax and read. Very Happy

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cirrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kay and the Claw of Karnak

-----------------------------------

32. Who's Mining the Store?

Squad C had been stealing through the tunnels on the west side of the Pyramid complex for about an hour when Cirrel tapped the squad leader's shoulder.

"Socco says there's a set of chambers up ahead branching off a central core that might make an ideal hidey hole for our Kolonel."

The squad leader consulted a copy of the floor plan. "The central core would be this here." He pointed to a spot on the floor plan marked 'The Hall of S'Mores'. Underneath was a notation. 'Guardians: Marshal Mallow, Deputy Graham C. Racker, and Cho C. Olate.'

"Professor," hissed Kayngi. "We may have a problem,"

Everyone looked to where she was pointing. Ahead of them, through a wide arch, was an enormous room filled with the most outlandish machinery. Cogs, shafts, gears, wheels, and pipes sprouted from bloated metallic shapes arranged helter-skelter around the floor and on the walls. Heat radiated from the room in hot waves along with clanks and clunks. A small squat figure could be seen scampering from one machine to the next, spinning wheels, pulling levers, and pushing buttons.

"Keep a watch out here, boys." said Kay. "Uniforms might get them upset. Let Cirrel and I talk to them first."

The squad leader nodded and Kay and Cirrel stepped into the stifling hall. Suddenly the figure at the machines noticed them, stopped, and ran up to them, bowing and smiling from a desiccated face that was almost all beard.

"Hallo! Hallo! An welcom to da Forges of the Not Too Well Off." He waved a battered looking paw around. "Not fancy as da forges of da Dammed, but we works wit whats we got." He pointed to himself. "I be Helter Melter of da Club Dead maintenance crew. We not get too many guests down here. Nobodies tells us what's up. Dese machines here be my smelters. It too hot out here for da talking, so les go too da shelter over dere. Please to pardon our fixing up da shelter. Da felt insulation need to be replaced so I call in a relative to do it. Please you to meet my brudder and former boxer champ, 'Belter'.

"So he's Belter, the Helter Melter smelter shelter felter, eh?" said Kay.

"You could say dot."

"I think I just did, and I don't think I'll say it again for a very long time. Look, we need to get to the Hall of S'Mores, and the map says the way's through here."

"What you go dere for? You got smelter?" asked the gnomish corpse.

"No. Why would we need one?"

"Dot's where I get some ore when I need to fill da smelter - frum da hall o sum ores."

"So the hall of S'Mores is a rock dump? Not a place of marshmallow goodness."

'You got dot right. You wan sum ore. We got sum ore. We got da Numberf-ore, da Biggestb-ore, da Ign-ore, Yousn-ore, da Eyes-ore, da Neverm-ore. Lotsa ores."

"How about some Sweatyp-ore," asked Kay sarcastically.

"Nah. You git dot stuff from open pit mine. Dis stuff here comes from lotsa different unnerground mines."

"Who's mine?"

"No. Dat mine belong to famous first baseman baseball player. Our mine is 'Yoursor Mine'."

"What? Yours or mine? Who's is it?"

"No. Who's is first baseman mine. Ours is Yoursor Mine."

"Nevermind!"

"Oh, it mined a lot!"

"Then what do you get from it?"

"Nothingm-ore."

"AAAAHHHGG! "

Kay stalked off and Helter turned to Cirrel. "What she so upset about?"

Cirrel eyed him back. "Beware the female mind."

Helter's jaw hit the floor. "What! Her mined? You can mine dem? Ooooo. Where's my pick! Hey! Belter! Fire in da hole! We go blasting for Booty!" The two Melter gnomes, loaded with mining gear, dashed off in a cloud of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil.

"Professor! over here!" yelled Kay. "I think I found the entrance to the..."

Suddenly a blast from the neglected smelters shook the room. Cirrel dashed to Kay just as the floor and ceiling collapsed. When the dust cleared a gapping chazm seperated them from their Badger Squad.

"You all right,"yelled the Badger squad leader.

"We're fine, I think we'll have to go or separate ways for a while. No way to cross this chazm."

"We'll see if there's another route to the Hall of S'Mores!"

Kay waved and looked back to the hatch she thought might be a way through to the Hall.

"Here goes." She twisted the wheel lock and spun it open. Beyond the hatch was...

"A chute!" she yelled. Then she sighed and looked to Cirrel. "Wanna go for a ride?"

"As long as I don't have to pay for the gas. You wanna drive or shall I?"

Kay grabbed the hatch lip and swung her legs in. She looked back.

"See you at the bottom."

And she was gone.

----------------------------------

Cirrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun puns and hot buns helter-skelter in the Helter Melter smelter shelter. Rolling Eyes

Cirrel, just how long does it take you to think up this wordplay?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mapper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh Hes very mindful of his words. Very Happy

Av by GreyCat
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R O F L ! !

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! And a reference to Who's On First, too! LOL!!! All those smelters and ores? My word...
Den Mother of PF

I got ART
Cirrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kayngi and the Claw of Karnak

--------------------------------

33. From the Forges into the Frying Pan.

"Hold it!" cried Socco.

Cirrel was about to drop down the chute Kay had used, but stopped and pulled Kay's backpack off his shoulder. He opened it and pulled Socco out.

"What's the problem?"

"Not sure. Just a feeling. Coming from somewhere down below."

"Are you sure you weren't just sitting on one of Kay's feminine things in there."

"Nope. I'd know it if I had a claw file stuck up my... heel. This is different."

"Well, we can't wait here forever while you figure out if this is a real danger or simply a bad case of toe fungus."

"Ha!" cried Socco. "I'll have you know I come from a long line of spore-free spooks. Me and Mycelium don't mix. I laugh at Fun-gus. Toadstools croak in my presence. Athlete's foot flees. Mildew is mil-done!"

"Great. I'll call on you next time I need to clear out a former grad student's lab refrigerator. In the mean time, we have work to do! Kay may be in trouble!"

"Well, don't say I didn't warn you."

Cirrel nodded and then shoved Socco into his jacket.

"Hey, why am I in here next to this stuffed shirt? I liked the backpack!"

"If things are indeed dangerous down there, I want you someplace safe. You're too valuable to lose now, and backpacks can get lost or ripped off."

"You're so considerate. Got any air freshener in here?"

"It's in the bathroom next to the walk-in closet."

"Right."

Cirrel swung the backpack back to his shoulder and slid into the chute. The typical Hollywood twisting, turning, and yelling commenced until he shot out the bottom, and right into mob of....

"RATS!"

He bounced to his feet, claws out, and proceeded to flatten the dozen or so around him. But for all the ruckus he was making, the rats didn't seem to be paying him much attention. They were all streaming through the huge vaulted hall he'd dropped into toward a set of barely visible open doors on the far side. Cirrel bounced up and could see a running figure at the head of the mob of rodents. It was Kayngi!

"She's got the Claw!" he yelled to Socco as he took out a few more rodents. "This must be the group of rats who had it. That's what you felt! Looks like she managed to grab it!"

"How's she doing? Is she getting away?"

"Barely. I need to join her fast."

"You!?" scoffed Socco. "Catch up with her? In case you've forgotten, grayfur, she's 20 years younger than you."

"We'll see."

Then Cirrel did something he hadn't done in a long time. He dropped to all fours and took off running.

"Hey! Since when can evolved bipedal furs go quadrupedal!" yelled Socco as Cirrel plowed through the rats, scattering them everywhere.

"Since I''m not a native of Furry!" shouted Cirrel. "I'm Sholan! We can go 'Quad' because of the unique architecture of our paws, shoulders, and chest."

"Well shut my Buckle! Who'd a thunk it? You're a widdle gween Alien!"

"Hardly," puffed Cirrel, bowling over another group of rats. "I'm a big, nasty, gray-furred, cat-like alien. So is Kayngi, but that's another story. See Tigermark's tale over on the Bookshelf."

"His tail is on a bookshelf? Not on his butt?"

"Nevermind."

"But I thought it was 'mined' a lot!"

"Socco! We've already did that bit!"

"I know. Just thought I'd milk 'mine' for all it's worth."

"Socco! You haven't got anything to milk! You're a boot!"

"What? You don't think us 'Booties' can't have some 'Bootitty', too?"

"SOCCO!" Cirrel screeched, and proceeded to angrily cream two dozen rats in his way.

"Alright!" yelled Socco. "Chunky Cream of Rodent Soup! So chunky you'll be tempted to stab it with a pitchfork, but use a shovel instead!"

Cirrel merely growled and ran on.

The front of the rat mob finally gave way and Cirrel could see Kayngi up ahead heading for the doors on the opposite wall. She dashed through them and Cirrel put on a burst of speed. He shot through the doors as well, spit gravel as he turned around on all fours, and slammed the doors shut just as the rats behind them barreled into them. He pushed the dead-bolt lock home.

"That was close," he gasped, but before he could catch his breath, an oily voice behind him spoke.

"Doctor Kayngi. Professor Cirrel. I'm so glad you could join us."

Cirrel whirled around. Kolonel Crazed Wolf and a dozen or so wolves stood around a table. They were all pointing weapons at them. Cirrel glanced to Kayngi. She had he .44 auto-mag out, but they were seriously outgunned.

"So nice of you to bring back the Claw of Karnak," said the Kolonel, taking another bite out of a waffle he was holding. He glared down at it as he chewed and swallowed. "I'll be glad when this affair is over with. I'm really getting tired of these things." He tossed away the remnant and turned back to his captives.

"I'll take that Claw now, Doctor."

Kay suddenly pointed her weapon at the Claw itself. "Let us go, or the Claw is history."

The Kolonel merely smiled and pointed to Cirrel. "Boys?"

All weapons turned on the Professor.

"I may not be of a mind to destroy you, Kayngi," said Kolonel Crazed Wolf. "But I certainly have no qualms about the Professor here. It's either the Claw, or he's the one who will be history."

For a time no one moved. Kay was looking to her old professor and friend.

Finally Cirrel looked to her spoke. "The Kolonel wants to be master of the world. The Claw will give him that. It will give him exactly what he wants."

Kay was sure what Cirrel was about to say next. He was going to tell her to destroy the claw. He would sacrifice himself so the Kolonel wouldn't get it. Kay looked around, frantic for some way to save him. However, what her old professor said next shocked her out of her desperation.

"Give it to him."

"What?" breathed Kayngi, barely able to talk for her shock at Cirrel's answer.

"Give Kolonel Crazed Wolf the Claw of Karnak. No tricks. No secret attacks. Simply set Karnak's arm on the table there and back off."

"But that will mean he's WON!" she shouted, not believing her ears.

"Yes it will, won't it?"

"But why?" Kay pleaded.

"Because at least once in life, everyone needs to get exactly what they want. Remember Kayngi... exactly what they want."

"Yes Kayngi, do what the good professor suggests," laughed Kolonel Crazed Wolf. "Although, I'm somewhat disappointed by the professor's cowardly submission. I thought you felines were noted for fighting to the bitter end."

"Exactly what he wants, Kay," repeated Cirrel. "No tricks."

Kay opened her mouth in a final feeble protest, but then closed it.

Exactly what he wants!

The phrase tickled a memory, and Kay gave an almost imperceptible nod. "Alright Kolonel, you win," Kayngi said in a dull, resigned voice. She slowly walked to the table and set down the arm and the Claw.

"Both of you. Your weapons and your backpack. Toss them over here."

Cirrel and Kay complied and several wolves snapped the items up.

"Now back away," said the Kolonel.

"You will not harm Cirrel, or are you truly the liar I think you are?" growled Kay.

The Kolonel growled back and waved off his underlings, but kept his own weapon on them. "I will not kill him - or you - out of paw. Where's the fun in that?"

Kay shivered at the coldness in the Kolonsl's voice. She leaned toward Cirrel. "I hope you know what we're doing," she whispered.

"For good or ill, the die is cast," Cirrel whispered back. "Let's just hope our Kolonel here isn't a complete blithering idiot."

The Kolonel grabbed the arm and the Claw of Karnak.

"I must leave you now," he gloated, the gleam in his eye becoming a bit maniacal. "Wouldn't want to display any vulnerability when I switch Claws. Was that what you were hoping for, Dr. Kayngi? To get me somehow after I'd removed my old claw and before I put on the new one? Well I'm sorry to disappoint you. I won't put it on here. I need an audience for this most sweet of victories, and what better audience than the ones I will soon vanquish! I'd invite you to the Ball Room where I'm sure the others are, but it's past midnight and I'm afraid your carriage has turned into a pumpkin. I'll just leave you to enjoy the company of your precious professor - after I lock the door!"

The Kolonel and his cronies backed out the door and with a truly maniacal laugh, the Kolonel slammed it shut and locked it.

Kay whirled on Cirrel, even as he turned to her.

"Why did you want me to give him the Claw!" she shouted. "We should have found a way to destroy it!"

"Doctor Kayngi Tunishi!" Cirrel shouted back. "We didn't have all that much choice! Listen now! We may only have little time left!"

Surprised by Cirrel's use of her full proper name, she quieted.

Cirrel patted a bulge in his jacket. "The first thing I would suggest is that you put on that old boot Socco's been working on." Cirrel looked down at the bulge. "You've got it all figured out now, Socco?"

"Yep." came a familiar voice from the bulge. "This thing doesn't come with an operator's manual, but through some judicious experimenting and a bit of bumbling luck, I think I've got her licked."

Cirrel couldn't resist. "You like licking boots, Socco?"

"Only the Blue Raspberry flavored variety," came the response.

"What are you two talking about?" Kay said, pointing to Cirrel's jacket.

"What are we talking about? I thought it would be obvious," said Cirrel. Slowly, he pulled Socco from inside his jacket.

"Oh my God!" Kayngi gasped.

Dangling from Cirrel's outstretched paw was a dazzling blue boot with a gleaming silver buckle.

Cirrel chuckled. "We're talking about the other Boot of Karnak, of course! They do come in pairs, ya know."

"So that old boot really was the other Boot of Karnak!"

"Yep. Gowan! Put me on!" said Socco. "I won't bite. I just lick a lot like the Professor says."

"O...kay," Kay said, dubiously. She slowly put her toe in, and when nothing happened, she pushed. The boot slipped on easily and seemed to be a perfect fit.

"Ya gotta admit," crowed Socco. "I ain't no frigging Florsheim!"

"That's true," admitted Kay. "This is definitely a beautiful boot now, but I thought I would feel something."

"Other than me caressing your lovely foot?" quipped Socco.

"Watch it there, Buster Brown. And how come you're a real eye catcher now anyway? The boot I picked up in Bang-La-Desh was a wreck."

"That's because in order for a Boot of Karnak to shine, it needs a 'driver'. Me!"

"A driver? What? Like a driver for a car?"

"'Operating Entity' would be a better word," interrupted Cirrel. "The ancients didn't have the manufactured technology we have today, so they had to rely on entities like Socco the give an object a higher level of functionality. Instructions - spoken as 'magical phrases' or 'spells' told the entity how to modify the object. Those modifications could mimic the micro-circuitry we have today or be a totally different design, plus the entity could tap into whatever energy sources were available to them. It appears the original operator of this Boot here deserted it some time ago. Socco's been reviving the disused systems and keeping me informed on how the Boot works."

"But what's this got to do with the Claw of Karnak?"

Cirrel tapped Socco. "Because the Boots are the objects that control the entity in the Claw."

"The entity in the Claw!?"

Cirrel nodded. "Yes. And it's the entity in the Claw, not the Kolonel, we have to seriously worry about."

Cirrel's 'teacher' face suddenly became stern. "Remember the warning on the sarcophagus? The one that said something disastrous would happen if the Claw was removed? That warning wasn't referring to removing it from the body of Karnak. It was referring to what would happen if the Claw was removed from the vicinity of the Boots. The Claw was separated from an active Boot for a while when the Kolonel took the Boot from Karnack's mummy, but apparently, after a thousand years of dormancy, the Claw entity needed some time to revive. Did you notice how the Claw was beginning to shine? I think the Claw entity may have been close to regaining independent control. It's lucky the Claw eventually got back to the vicinity of a controlling Boot. I'd have preferred it to be Socco instead of the Kolonel's boot, but you can't have everything."

"But that's just it! The Kolonel now has the Claw!" cried Kay.

"True! But he also has a Boot with an active entity in it, and because that boot has kept the reins on the Claw so vigilantly these past thousand years, I'm hoping it will continue to do so."

"But this only means the Claw can't act on its own. Once the Kolonel puts it on, won't he be able to control the Claw?"

"Yes, he will - I hope! Very soon now, when he does put it on, he will discover how truly powerful it is. When that happens...."

"What?"

Cirrel looked at his former student with a complex look of fear and confidence. "When that happens, either he controls the Claw, or the entity in the Claw will break free. Either way, it will be the end of our world as we know it. Unless..." He laid a paw on Kayngi's arm and felt it trembling. "Unless you and our Ghost in the Boot can do something about it."

Kay shivered. "One last question. Does the phrase 'Exactly what he wants' mean what I think it means?"

Cirrel nodded. "Yes. Sometimes our greatest desires are our own worst enemies." He squeezed Kay's arm. "But use that only as a last resort."

The sound of loud snoring was now coming from Kay's blue Boot.

"I think my foot went to sleep," said Kay a little shakily.

The Boot snorted. "Huh? Is that old fart done with the expository crap already? Jeez. You'd think this story was supposed to make sense or something."

"I'm done," said Cirrel. "But you and Kay have only just begun." He pointed to the locked door. "I think it's about time you and her went and kicked some serious butt, don't you?"

The Boot of Karnak flashed a brilliant blue.

"Lets rock!"

---------------------------

Cirrel

Last edited by Cirrel on Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooooooo! Very exciting, Cirrel! I'm liking all the elements you're adding into the mix! And even a lovely reference to Tigermark's "tail!" LOL!
Den Mother of PF

I got ART
Aramis Dagaz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone into the advertising biz, Cirrel? Nice plug-in.

I like the direction this story is taking. Keep up the great work!

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Cirrel. and a great dramatic scene in the middle of the seriousness. Thanks for the plug for my "tale," too!

Tigermark (Claps paws together, drooling a bit as he awaits the next fantastic installment.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mapper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent. Now the purpose of the boots and claws relationship is explained this is going to be a wild finish Very Happy

Av by GreyCat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Adventure Kay All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: