Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire On High
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I knew that about JD3 (Lt. Colonel JD Mastifson III), Tiger. Don't know why it came off my paws that way. Sorry.

14 Is awesome! I know that's an overused expression, but 14 truly is. The flying scenes were wonderfully detailed, I could feel the Gs as Dash made his pullup after jettisoning his ordinance, and could feel the hot exhaust on my fur and hear the scream of JD's engines as he almost became a statistic on that mesa.

And I felt the anger, embarassment, and shame that Uber's uncle felt in the presence of his subordinates and in his quiet time alone at the end of the chapter. That must have been a profound nose-rub for the General to accept and take. I was surprised at his final reaction, though. Any career fur will make a mistake now and then. General Mastifson is a good officer. Hopefully he will reconsider his retirement idea. The AF needs more furs like him, not less.

So Uber goes home a ground pounder, and nobody else had to die. That's a good thing. Yet Uber is still alive, and his warped head still needs somefur else to blame for his woes, and no doubt Alex' name will be in his head soon, if it isn't already. That's going to turn out to be a bad thing, I expect.

Interesting, both Alex and Lt.Col. JD3 are going to retire against their wishes at approximately the same time. Far from ending this "war" that exists between them, I think we may just be trading the military battle ground for a civilian one. As much as I wish otherwise, I suspect Alex and we have not heard the last of JD3.

I was quite touched by Billy and Penny's concern for Alex and his father. The fact that they involved the Lord in their concern and sought His help in a solution is quite comforting, given what's happening with Anton and Anatol. Alex could not ask for better friends.

Thanks for the holiday gift of 14, Tigermark! Be safe over the busy holiday weekend, and enjoy your time with TL and the tinx.

SC

Cirrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the dear Light Colonel had to clean his drawers after almost kissing that rock wall. Something else for the ground crew to clean up I suppose. Razz

I agree with SC. Trading Millitary conflicts for civillian ones looks like what might be in the offing here. Now, one could OA which type is worse, but there aren't any OAers here.... are there? <wink>

Cirrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh Cirrel, your just a OAer in denail! I am afriad that SC has gotten me beat on this one, I dont believe I can really add anything to his OA. Though I can second the 'AWSOME CHAPTER!' bit Smile OBA warned me it would be a bit shorter, but to be honest, it was no problem at all, cause it was twice the chapter action/drama wise. Thanks again TM, ya truely are OBA!

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After that "cliffbuster" ending of the last chapter, was pretty much the best possible way this situation could have been resolved.
The only problem is that I fear that Mastiffson (the incompetent) one will not learn anything from this or even think about the possibility that he is the incompetent one and concentrate on making the life of Alex (and others who he has a grudge against) difficult.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<growls> I had the neatest OA typed up, and then my damn paws lost it to some errant keystroke! <mutters under breath> Lets see if my recently-turned-45-year-old mind can recall what I said...

Cirrel said:
Quote:
Trading Millitary conflicts for civillian ones looks like what might be in the offing here. Now, one could OA which type is worse, but there aren't any OAers here.... are there? <wink>

<winks back> No OA? Hmmm... <scratches behind ear> Maybe we aren't using the right kind of spoon to stir the pot with.

It has been my experience that civilian warfare is by far the worst. There's no ROE, no Geneva Convention, and little if any honor, even amongst those who profess to share a common cause. Every fur in the military service of his or her country has a command structure to negotiate, a code of ethics ("by the book!") to which they must adhere. This tends to hold them accountable for their actions (eventually), as we have seen.

JD3 will soon slip those bonds. Upon entering the civilian world he will have no command structure at all, and will be guided and limited only by his financial wherewithall, his deviousness, and his lack of conscience. Having witnessed these tools of his in action already, I look for JD3 to become a mean, ugly, and very dangerous son of a bitch in fairly short order, a loose cannon with large sights, looking for a white tiger target.

Alex will certainly need some strong alliances and friends on his side of the net. It's very likely going to get ugly for him in the not too distant future, once JD3 finds him.

Not being able to dig around in OBA's head like my pal Leo was able to do, I must admit that this is 100% speculation on my part. But it's *my* spoon, Cirrel, so I'm gonna stir this pot for all it's worth! Your turn!

Eagles up!

SC

Leonato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
Not being able to dig around in OBA's head like my pal Leo was able to do, I must admit that this is 100% speculation on my part.

Now now SC, OBA is smarter than to let a Lynx have the keys to the kingdom. I know alot of what is comeing that concerns a certain fem we all know, but I know absolutely nothing about what is comeing with JC3. I'm on the edge of my seat here, and your speculation is the best I have seen so far. As long as we can keep OAing this story, and drawing more into the fold. Like Cirrel here, he is just a OAer in denail... it aint just a river in Egypt anymore Wink C'mon Cirrel, we all -know- you'd make a great OAer, so get in here and stir the pot some Smile

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, my friend, you have more pieces of the puzzle than our friend Leo, but maybe your 45-year old coyote brain can't remember them. (heh, I resemble that remark, too, LOL) Let's just say. it'd be a shame to waste a good villian.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<grins>

Great minds forgetting alike, eh, Tiger?

SC

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Heya :) Reply with quote

Well, I finally got on Planetfurry, after you and the other two amigos have been prodding me to do so for months.

I am, of course, looking very much forward to the next chapters of the story, considering that I've got a small paw in those.

Your story is great and I am looking forward to more of it in general. Will probably post more extensively later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Aslaug. More chapters to come in a short while.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, everyone, Chapter 15 is now posted for your perusal. Enjoy!

Tigermark

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed by the strength Alex and his father both demonstrated as Anton told his son about his cancer and treatment. I have experienced a very similar situation with my own father, and can resonate all too well with what must have been going on in Alex' head. OBA did a good job of painting that scene.

The back-fill bio of Anton's daughter and grand-daughter are excellent, in my opinion worthy of canon to ZZtS. (Am I allowed to mention that "other" story here? Apologies for the faux pas if not...) Everything seems to fit together perfectly with the creator's (Max Blackrabbit's) original vision, and fits paw-in-paw with the Tonya we've come to know at that "other" place. I notice the daughter is never mentioned by name... I'd say that was odd but then, in retrospect, none of us have ever known her as anything except "Zig Zag's mother".

It was comforting to see Anton settle himself down through those reminiscences. His time seems short, and it was good that we were able pull up a chair and indulge in a bit of genealogy with him while he's still with us. I pray that his passing is peaceful, not only for him but for his family.

JD3 looks like he's going to live up to my expectations regarding bringing the war between he and Alex into the civilian world. Poor fur sounds like his mind is really twisted now, like he's going to focus on avenging the injustice he perceives as having been foisted upon him through Alex' actions. What a shame that he can't focus inward a bit, like most normal furs might, and do a bit of self-evaluation to find out if he could have doner things differently, a bit better perhaps. I hope Alex is able to deal with his father and uncle and all that might be headed for him in those arenas before JD3 catches up with him.

Duncan needs to get his eyes open and his stuff together. Females like Loni don't wander by the front door every day, if he feels anything for her at all it's time to get off the blocks with her and make a commitment.

I grinned at Jack Russell's introduction. Cute... And I continue to be impressed with Tia. She sure seems to have flying in her blood. Good for her! I hope she's able to turn that into a career someday.

Alex sounds like his final days in the USAF may be interesting, judging from the little scene the chapter concluded with. Do I detect a less than enthusiastic mood on the part of his new crew? Granted, it sounds like they were close to their old CO, and that said CO met with an unpleasant and untimely demise, but the pilots sounded like they were already not looking forward to Alex' arrival. Why would this be? Has somebody been telling stories out of school?

An excellent chapter, OBA, well worth the wait. I eagerly look forward to # 16!

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wait no further SC and all my other readers. (yeah you two over there, Wink ) Chapter 16 is now posted and all links are active. Enjoy!

Tigermark

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, everyone, for my absence. Duties of state, and all that.

Tiger, I'm sure Anatol will be greatly missed by Alex and everyone, but they should derive some peace of heart from his calm and quiet passing. What a touching scene, and perfectly worded to describe his final journey home.

I was impressed with Jenna's immediate "circling of the wagons" move. I understood perfectly her reluctance to go to another funeral just then, and loved her all the more for her willingness to spend time with her father-in-law during his own difficult time.

On the other hand I was saddened by Talia's dialog with Anton. How sad that even with the death of a close family member she cannot let go of her hatred for Tonya. Perhaps there will be a reconciliation at the funeral? Will Zig / Tonya be there? Who knows?

What an interesting mix of emotions and interaction as Alex meets his new squadron. Some of his better leadership skills are certainly in evidence as he inserts himself diplomatically into the parts problem his subordinates have been giving their all to solve. I was quite impressed with Alex' strong desire to not step on toes as he assumed command. His wish to come on board as a team member instead of an authority figure is most commendable. Too bad there aren't more furs who think like he does. And his efforts seem to have begun to pay dividends almost immediately, if the sudden change of plans and the squadron's immediate acceptance of it are any indication. While he may not be with the kahts very long, I think Alex will certainly leave an indelible impression upon them.

I was inspired by the fact that Alex found time to pray for his uncle and his family in the middle of his squadron's activity. How difficult it must be to hear about something so sensitive from a complete stranger in such surroundings.

His immediate shift to "good ol' fur" mode at the parts depot was fun to watch. I enjoyed meeting Bull Carruthers, and hope he will be a returning visitor in the story. He reminds me of so many of his type I've met over the years, the "take charge" kind of furs who make any opeartion involving large numbers of furs a joy.

Finally I am saddened by Alex repeated memories of his absence when his mother died. Obviously that weighed heavily upon him, and continues to do so. Perhaps he is right, perhaps it's time to say adios to the USAF and re-integrate into his family while his own father is still around to appreciate it. As his final thought in the chapter well states, only time will tell. But time, dear Alex, is not an in-exhaustable commodity. Plan well, tiger, we know not what tomorrow brings.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 17 is now posted. Enjoy, everyone!

Tigermark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 5 of 64

Jump to: