Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire On High
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 62, 63, 64  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about chapter 5, which I have only read just now.

Confused I'm trying to picture the situation, but I can't really figure it out. Jeff was flying in formation with his CO, which prevented him from watching his instruments as closely as he would otherwise have. And when he came out of the clouds, he suddenly found himself heading in a wrong direction.
Now the question: If he was following the other plane (going more or less paralell to it), how could he have screwed up where he was heading. Or did his plane suddenly stall or something like that?

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless, the two aircraft entered IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) at 2500 feet over the runway. When this happens, the pilots can no longer see each other. Normally, the formation loosens as each pilot flies the aircraft on instruments, and then they tighten back up together once they clear the clouds. In this case, Mastifson had no problems, as his instruments were working correctly. Jason's insruments were giving false readings, and following those caused Jason's aircraft to fly into an unrecoverable attitude/altitude situation. Until he came out of the clouds and saw what was really happeneing, Jason's intruments told him he was still in a climbing shallow left turn. The only clue he had that something was wrong was that his altimeter (Altitude indicator) showed a sudden, rapid loss of altitude. Given that he wasn't very high yet to begin with, he didn't have time to react to that before he came out of the clouds and impacted the ground. It happens to aircraft all too often, but usually it happens when a pilot who is not qualified in instrument flying accidentally flies into instrument conditions. In Jason's case, it was faulty instruments that led to the crash.
Hope that makes more sense. Thanks for asking, and reading.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings everyone!

<stands on front porch, stomping dust from boots>

Sory I haven't been around for a while. Matters of state, you know. <winks while removing hat and gloves>

I have a question for OBA. Given the sequence of events described for Nameless regards Jason's crash, can we then infer that the outcome would very likely have been the same in Lt. Col. Mastifson's absence? Assuming that Jason had been ordered to depart into the same storm at the same time by the Lt. Col., who himself remained on the ground, could we have expected the same outcome? I'm wondering how this fits with the package of information left annonymously for Alex and his reaction to it.

Holding Pattern was very heartwarming and trobling at the same time. I'm woried about Anton. My father is like that. We never know there's anything wrong with him until the doctor is telling us what day the surgery is scheduled for. While my dad isn't as stubborn about visiting doctors as Anton seems to be, he too prefers not to be in their company and won't go see one until something is really bothering him. And all the while he says not a word to us.

On the flip side I was pleased to see Jenna holding her head up and soldiering on. What a great and strong lady she is. And I am absoultely delighted to see Tia taking an interest in aviation! Who knows what lies in her future? Air Force? Airlines? CFI? Charter ops? <shudders at the last>

The opening scene between Tia and her brother really solidified their personalities in my mind. Initially I didn't care for Andrew to much, but that opinion has changed somewhat. They are both growing up. Too bad they had to have such a horrible impetus towards that.

Finally, I'm pleased to see a canine in the USAF that isn't a <insert derogatory descriptor of choice>. I like Nines, and especially like the fact that he's kalifighting with the master. It's refreshing to see a coyote playing with new, state of the art toys like that.

Keep up the great story, Tigermark! I'm breathlessly waiting for chapter seven!

SC

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, so I guess the orders Mastiffson gave made a small difference in how long it took Jeff to figure out that something was wrong. If it wasn't for him, would he have noticed the failed instruments in time? Are there any instruments on the plane that he could have fallen back on? I'm pretty sure there are, it would be a little stupid not to have a fallback for such an important instrument.

And the parting scene with Tasha...
There was just too much emotion in it for this to be the final farewell. I just can't help but think that they'll meet again in the not too distant future.
And it just did not feel like "Just friends" either.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same feeling, Nameless. There just seemed to be too much character and plot development there, too good a relationship built between them, to let it go that easily. "Friends" don't normally cry when they part.

I suspect we'll see Tasha again someday. It'll be interesting to see how OBA works her back into the story.

What does she do, anyway? How is it that she knew when Alex would be arriving back in Germany? I'm sure there's more to her than has been revealed, more to her character than beinig a "supportive cast member".

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*OBA grins a Cheshire Cat grin, his tail curling slowly* All I'll say is that we've not seen the last of Natasha Shannon. As for the speculation, yes, had Jason not been concentrating on maintaining formation with Mastifson per his order, he would have notices the warning light on the electrical panel, giving him time to abort the takeoff before he entered the clouds. If he'd been flying single ship, he would have been watching his instruments closer instead of following Mastifson's every subtle move.
There are indeed backups, but the backup artificial horizon is small and off to the side. Jason didn't know his insruments were faulty, so he didn't switch to the backup. As I said, he didn't know he was in trouble until the altimeter started to unwind and he came out of the clouds headed straight for the ground.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, folks real life had me by the tail for a bit, but here it is. Chapter 7 of Fire On High is up for your comments. Thanks for reading!

Tigermark

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 8 of Fire On High is now up for your enjoyment. Thanks for reeading!

Tigermark

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay all, Chapter 9 of Fire On High is up for your enjoyment, Read, comment, and OA to your heart's content.

Tigermark Very Happy

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love with Tia already...

That said, onward with the rest of today's OA. My apologies for not checking in more often. Summertime is pool and fire season, which keeps this pooch fairly busy.

I was happy to see that Jason's cubs were adpting to their new school situations with aplomb and comparative ease. As a reflection of how difficult their world has become recently, I found it refreshing to see a couple of youngsters with a great mix of grace, tolerance, and maturity.

I also continue to be impressed with Anton's ability to internalize what's happening with him. I wonder if that's a smart thing to do, however. We all admire the Gary Cooperish, silent tough guys (don't we?), but it occurs to me that the additional stress this internalizing would naturally place Anton under could actually be counter-productive. While I respect the old fur's decisions, I wonder what might happen were Alex to find out about Anton's health situation from someone other than Anton.

As for Mastifson, that son of a noseless mother, I was not surprised in the least to find that he has a mistress (or whatever it's fashionable to call one of those things these days). Nor was I surprised to see him conspiring to hang Alex out to dry on the trumped up charge of exactly what he's doing himself: fratting with the enlisteds. What a piece of work he is. I hate him. The way he thinks about his own wife, and the way he refers to her in conversation with his girlfriend / spy, says much about the type of fur he is. <spits on floor> I hope I never meet JD Mastifson.

And while we're obliquely on the subject of Kathleen Killian and her conversation with our heros, I didn't get any taste of anything resembling her "having eyes for" Alex, as Mastifson's lackey claims to have seen. If anything, the opposite was true, SSgt Killian seemed to go out of her way to *not* appear to be fraternizing with any of the three furs there. She was very careful, proper, and mindful of regs in that scene. So who's fooling who? What does Mastifson's playpuppy get out of lying about Alex to her bedboss? Points?

But OBA made up for all this nefarious skullduggery with the flying! The entire flight was great, even if it did end on a sour note. From OBA's descriptions of the in-flight failure of Rings' starboard engine, I'd say he's either experienced that himself or is very good friends with someone who has. I felt like I was in formation with the boys, and was on the edge of my seat until Alex's radio call to the Jolly Green crew that Rings was up and waving. What a ride!

And to move from that wonderful bit of flying into the Panelli's living room just in time to see Penny launch... wow. What a fighter pilot she'd make. Talk about situational awareness and an aggressive spirit! Yet at the same time she's worying about a close friend. What a gal!

A great chapter, Tigermark. Again, my apologies for not being around much to OA each and every one, I'll try and do better with the next few. That's a *hint*, by the way. <laughs>

S'long, catch you later!

SC

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprised me a little was that Mastifson has apparently married out of species. I would have thought that it would be rather unfashionable in his circles.
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
What surprised me a little was that Mastifson has apparently married out of species. I would have thought that it would be rather unfashionable in his circles.

Mastifson, from exposure to his uncle, is not a purist, except where the Academy is concerned. He wanted a wife that was submissive and malleable to serve as a prop for his career, and most rotwieller femmes are much more assertive and strong-willed than he could accept. As seen, though, he does find a little challenge more exciting in a lover.

Tigermark

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
Mastifson, from exposure to his uncle, is not a purist, except where the Academy is concerned. He wanted a wife that was submissive and malleable to serve as a prop for his career...

That is why I am wondering. I had thought the "class" of people he mostly traffics with were relatively purist. (Aristocrats, old money, fraternities, ...)
I would not have a problem imagining him not caring about the species of his wife, but marrying her to further his career? The way I see it, a lot of his peers would look down on him for marrying out of his species.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps (hopefully) not as many furs are as hyped about "interspecies" marriages as are their human counterparts. Then again, you can find this tension about "interspecies" unions in most any furry story you'd care to read. <sighs> Perhaps it's a bigger issue than most of us know.

I know a little bit about how the military works regards who an officer should marry, and why. Lots of other things besides species (RL: race) enter into the picture, including family political and financial ties, military histories of the families involved, spouse's profession, and many other things all factor together to make a fur (person) desirable or undesirable as a military spouse. Pretty high on this list is a female's willingness to subject herself to the rigid class system that seems to permeate the spouses of officers in every branch and service.

Perhaps JD's wife was quite capable of meeting most of these criteria admirably. Perhaps her only real shortcoming is the fact that she may love her husband deeply enough to not question his activities or attitude. Hopefully she'll wake up <makes gesture of pulling balled fist rapidly out of cupped paw> and deal with JD appropriately.

<grins> I suggest a katana between the legs...

My two cents worth.

SC

Leonato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now read the whole story... 1-9 in preperation for a book-on-tape reading of it that will be forthcomeing in the future. and.... WOW. I had the great fortune of talking with OBA at lenth at MFM 8, and that tiger was nice enough to disclose some 'up and comeing' stuff in the story. I must say again... WOW. This story -sucks you in- quickly, then holds you tight. And... and.... what a way to end chapter 9!... sheesh... on the edge of my seat about <placeholder>, and what he has planned next. OBA... KEEP EM COMEING, this is a GREAT story. And I agree with the other OAers here, in that many of the things you discribe, it is as if you have either experianced it yourself, or known someone who did. I know from my talk with you, that you were drawing Jason's crash from actual experiance. I still remember the news reports of that crash just north of here at Ft. Cambel. Always tragic when a flyboy is lost, no matter the rank, or even the circumstance. But in this case, the circumstance is cause for a good bit of anger at that CO, but that is also being handled well, so far, in the story. I do believe, we all want to see him shreaded by Alex's claws, but all things in good time right? You speak from much experiance my good friend, and I look forward to reading it on the book-on-tape. Ohh... and THANK YOU for takeing the time, and spending the dedication it takes to write such a work!

PF's resident Lynx-Domestic reader-DJ,
Leonato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 2 of 64

Jump to: