Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Personal Stuff
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Random Personal Stuff Reply with quote

Getting 'Rachel' repaired, one of my many older laptops: PowerBook 5300CE, at a cost of under $200. Saving money to get the other, 'Debbie' repair- the estimate is $525- basically a new head for her, literally. Maybe if I can find a working head on ebay- cheap- I'll do the job myself. 'Debbie' is a PowerBook 190CS, with a busted screen and screen frame. Dont ask how it got that way... If you know these models- then you know how old they are, but why would I want to repair such old units?

Why not? They served me well, and will continue to serve me to the best of their ability. They work great for the stuff that they have to do. If the motherboard or hardrives were DOA, then I would not be comtemplating such repair expenses... Besides, I like them. They are much better than the new stuff on the market.

BTW, for Ghoti, there's some important information in 'Rachel' that he needs. In the long run, it will be worth it.

Work sux. Its the reason why I need a new laptop; to prove to the idiots that I know my OSes and System's Admin. For now the idiots can wait, I'm on a higher level of priorities.

Until next post.
-Elfen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got transfered to the worse school in the district, and the idiot staff is already pulling seniority rank on me, though I beat them all by over 5 years.

My ears are still ringing, and my old school is crying that their servers are acting flakey. Not my fault, but if they want my services- thay are going to have to pull rank on everyone to get me back or, as I say, "Consultant's fees start at $200 per hour."

Head hurts, body hurts, and was told by a 5 yr old (this school does pre-K to 5th grade) that I should go f-myself. Usually I let stuff like that from kids that old go by- but if it happens tomarrow, I'm going to give it and its parents the fear of god put into them... as its said where I live- you dont get shot around here, the bullets are manually inserted...

Man- I swear... patience is wearing thin. But I just got to hold on just a little while longer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Rabid Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were told that by a 5 year old?!?!?! when i was a five year old, i was innocent!........well...... Rolling Eyes kinda......
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Man If I had said that when I was 5 that'd be all she wrote for this kid when my Father found out, no sixth birthday for me.

CrayzedWolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise for me Styx. I wouldnt be able to get away with mouthing off like that even now O.O

Hang on elfen. Your salvation should come

My Live Journal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while since I last added something here,
A lot has happened, which will be posted late on, first...

Good News:
I'm being transfered back to my old school. Starting Monday, November 4th.

No more snotty little kids, though I'm going to miss just a few of them....

Sick like a dog, but what the hell... I'll survive this germ-warfare like I always have.

Hopefully I'll start getting paid for this soon, that other school has yet to pay me, even though I did everything just to be nice... can you say "Network Infrastructure Rebuild?"

Can you say "F It All?"

I wont be surprized if becuase my magix touch will be missing from there, that the entire school's network falls apart. Its a blessing and a curse. Well, I do hope them the best.

Anything else? Well.... lots of bad stuff, but that will be placed elsewhere, later today, if I like.... right now, time to pass out and enjoy the darkness as is envelopes the body and mind with its cold and cleansing touch.

Rabid Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope u give Miss. K. H*ll when u get back. maybe the server will just happen to crash whenever it's her turn for the comp.....but then, it won't be fair to the others......
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Security is a state of mind. If you're not secure, what does that say about your state of mind?"

...as my Viet Nam Vet friend and I used to say to each other when we would meet when we used to work in that agency whose name wont be mentioned...

Its true.
And from the looks of it, I might be being set up for something lethal. I write this to protect myself, if in the very least.

Here's the details; Sherman set the Way-Back Machine to May 2003.

The school over where I am at recieved a shipment of new apple iBooks, which were stolen not even before the damn paint was dry on the rolling vault. The school got them that Thursay, the vault was openned up like a tin-can and the laptops taken by that Sunday. I was blamed as one of the suspects because I was about to be laid off; news that I have yet to recieve but was used as an excuse to point the finger of blame into my direction. Its ancient history now...

Apple and the Vault company replaced the laptops. Everyone was happy.

I rebuilt the lab in the school's annex and updated the RAM and OS on the school's both labs. A project that took me too long to complete, but since then- there has been no problems while I was there.

The PTA hired me to stay on, but knowing that they would run out of money by mid October, so I decided to stay. Then I got rehired, but was forced to be transfered to the worse school in the district.

1 month of hell, and a very good chance that I would not get paid for my work there. So I told the Principal there that if i dont get paid by the end of the month- I'm leaving outright.

No check, no pay, no compensation, so I left. This was All Hollow's Eve. Broke, tired, I just did not show up to work, not even call.

On the weekend, I recieved a call from my old school to report to work there on Monday. Since then, I did what I was asked: build the wireless network, set up the laptops and fix the servers and accounts. Also add 4 new imacs (emacs actually) to the network. The system was hacked in both sites, but I figured out what happened from the logs: stupid teachers leaving machines with out logging out and students taking advantage of it. Thats their fault.

Monday- 11/3: another break in to the school. 3 laptops stolen, though they were not the ones that I set up, these were teachers laptops- 2 personal, and 1 school-loaned.

Once again, the finger of blame is being pointed in my direction. Too many ppl are asking me questions about who I am and what I do. Namely- one teacher who informed the police the last time.

Well... its not bothering me. Not in the least that I can bother time and energy with it, but deep in my mind, it does bother me.

Well...

I'll continue on with my work, despite the petty bs that goes on. But if I end up in handcuffs, I swear by every I hold holy- heads will roll. The last time I was arrested, 1/2 a police station was fired. Why? Go back and read the begining part where me and my friend used to work...

Talk about your vulgar display of power...
Thats me.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things since last posting have gotten really strange.

Got "Rachel" back from the repair shop, with a receipt saying 'Too expensive, not worth repiaring.' I'm not happy with that, considering that I was about to drop an inital $200 on it and another $150 if I had too. It maybe a 10 year old laptop, but the work I have and done on it... it can not be done on the modern OS... let me not go into details of OS security here... I may hurt plenty of Sys Admin's feelings.

Once again, I'm Prime suspect #1 in the theft of a couple of old laptops that occurred last week. This on top of the fact that my boss and immediate supervisors can trust me with keys when nobody else cant get rights to them... This while detectives are following me and asking questions. I finally had to tell them that if they wanted to arrest me now, they better have an excellent case against me. One of them was stupid to challenge me, so I sat him down on one of the student machines and accessed my former work agency's terminals and punched in his badge number. The following screen full he read made his stomach turn and he left the room in a whiter-shade of pale and fast!

That certain teacher is still on my case, so I restricted her access to the server, with report card grades to be entered next week, I think I'm going to call in sick for a few days.

But I need the money. That part is rather unfortunate...

I'll continue rambling on the next input. Right now, I got a date with a bottle of aspirin.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the things to loose, I lost my 2-way 'ham' radio- walkie-talkie.
Its an Icom W32A, dual transmit/recieve on either 140 and 440 MHz. With the proper 'connections and condictions', I go world wide on that thing, and have! In short, it was a $400 walkie talkie. AND I LOST IT!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

DAMN, I swear!

It was a gift, but it being my main radio- I now have to save up and get a new one (and void the warentee and mod it for its extra enhancments). That might take a LONG while...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything else?
The school's main OSX Server is on a limping leg. Its main hard drive failed, and the back up is acting flakey. Though I dont suspect any foul play into all this, I would not be surprized if a certain somebody fudged with it. Seriously- this thing is built to last several years of problem free performance, and its been nothing but a major headache. Adding to the suspicion and paranoia is the school's annex's OSX Server- both installed into each separate buildings, both started up at the same time, the annex's OSX server has been running problem free since day 1.

Actually, in my heart and mind, I know somebody fudged with it, and I have my suspicions. Rabid, Torrie, Drowsy and all of my (former) students here know who I am talking about. But I cant play the blame game... yet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Its getting to be that time of year again for me. Both Xmas and snow will never be the same, I swear. Evil is slowly setting in on me, all I need is an excuse to vent it all on somebody. So-called 'Old Firends' have started with their BS and stupid Mojo about how the rest of the world has to go on with or without me, and that I should have left things alone 20 years ago.

Everyone mourns the passing of a loved one, even if it was more than several decades in passing- there are just certain dates that stick with some people more than others. Certain religions- its a must to remember. Certain cultures, its turned into a holiday of rememberence. For me, it happens to fall on a time period of Dec. 20th - Jan 15th; Right in the middle of the Xmas season. Hell, one of former student's father passed away on Thankgiving- you think that Thankgiving will ever be the same for that Family?

But to say that "it happened a long time ago, get over it and pretend like it never happened...", than damn hurts. And to the one that say that- I would like to return every stitch of pain back for just the mere mentioned of it. I remember this idiot was in an emotional self-destruction becuase his wife wanted to devorse him because he can not 'afford' to have her. In 'afford', meaning, keep buying the expensive furs and clothes, buy a new car every year, keep up the $4500 rent on their duplex, pay for the 'help', buy the steak and lobster dinners, etc., etc., etc... This was a marriage that was living a couple of decimal points beyond its means. And yet I helped him sort things out and keep them together for another 15+ years? And he tells me that "it happened a long time ago, get over it and pretend like it never happened..." Man... I want blood.

But its only the beginning.

And to believe, what I ask for is not much. Peace, Quiet and Respect. Is that too much to ask for?

Anything else? Well, there is always something else. Much I cant post here, some I can.

admford

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
And to believe, what I ask for is not much. Peace, Quiet and Respect. Is that too much to ask for?

Well some people just have no idea of what that means. Even though I'm not all that violent, they tend to learn the meaning of those words after I get them in a head lock...

I truely hope that these people get off your case soon and let you be.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admford: It has yet to happen... and I been waiting for 20 years...?

I would have to tell you to start here:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~elfen/fandc/trailer.html

and then continue here with the rest:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~elfen/fandc/index.html

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate missing out on my DJ Wednesdays....
This time: Waiting for Apple Inc. to reply to my calls and on-line tests of the school's Xserve server.

It is a bit too much. Internal diagnostic software conflicts as to which drives are at fault. Formatting and Hard Drive Prep. Software says its RAID:0, Drive 1. Server Monitor Software says its RAID:0, Drive 2.

The X-Serve Hardware Diagnostics CD says both drives are fine, but does something to them to make them completely unbootable. Somehow, I managed to undo that and got the thing to boot again.

Idiot tests (when you remove the drives and boot the machine 1 drive at a time), says that Drive 1 is at fault, Drive 2 is fine. On Drive 1 alone, it partially boots and then just hangs there. On Drive 2 alone, it boots without problems. With Both drives in, it partially Boots and a Panick Window opens saying, "OSX has encountered a problem that requires a total reset. Please hold down the power button to turn off the unit and turn it back on..."

So much for an operating system that is not supposed to crash!

In the very least, Apple used to such a good company until OSX came along... I swear... Using Macs and Unix before, I knew there were going to be problems, but nothing like this!

I'm just going to chalk it up to the problems that a certain colleague has been dishing out and blame everything on her. I did warn the staff NOT to save their work on the server until further notice and she was the one that disobeyed the orders and pumped in a gig's worth of stuff onto an unstable system... Not my fault if she looses her data!!!

Until next time...
Same thread, same Rant.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave in and called Apple Inc. myself.
30 minutes and 4 technicians later, I finally got somebody with some brains and gave me answer:

"Insert Xserve Start Up CD (The one that set the damn thing up when it was first booted...), use Disk Tools and Format the Drive. Of course- remove the good drive before formatting. If you get an error message- write down the number that is at the bottom of the window and report it to us. Depending on that number- we'll either replace the drive or send you more software to test the drive with..."

Can you say, "Lab Rat died because the Lab Techs handled it too much?"

I know Apple invested a lot into these little Xservers, but if a unit fails, sheesh!!! Come on!!! Admit Defeat and Hand Over a Replacement Drive!!! I swear- a Mormon Girl would give it up faster on Prom night before Apple gives up a replacement drive!

Well... tomarrow, I'll shut down the lab and format the drive, knowing full well that a certain science & tech. teacher is going to complain all the way with it. But it has to be done... and knowing 120 Gigs- its going to take a lot more then just a couple of hours to do it. Its going to take the whole day, if not longer.

And this was supposed to be a simple job...
*crawls into a corner in a fetal position and starts the manical laughter...*

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 13:43; EST. today (12/12/03), the school's Xserve server was brought back online. As a miracles of Miracles, around 13:00pm, things started to fall into place.

The problematic drive was formatted a few dozen times, and then I realized that what was needed was a "low level" Format of the drive. Older Mac OS Disk Utilities allowed for Low-level forammting of drives, but not the OSX Version. It did, however, allow for Zeroing out all sectors (A damn true formatting of the drive and not just wiping out the Directories and Boot Sectors).

So Zero- out the hard drive I did (on the day before- 12/11). It took 3 hours to go through 120 gigs of space.

Now the drive was readable.

But the problem still persisted of adding the formatted drive to the RAID and removing the old defintition of the drive that gave problems (which is now missing because I formatted it!). With all options examined, there was no way of doing it. One can build and destroy a RAID on Mac OSX, but to rebuild is out of the question- the software goes through the motions of syncing the drives together and then dies. The software is smart enough to complain about problems, but its quite dumb when trying to reassemble them.

Fortunately- the data on the second drive was still intact and preserved.

The School has a 55Gig Firewire drive that is to be used the multimedia stuff. I took it, formatted it and used it to back up the data on the good drive. Any kids work on that drive is now GONE! At least it was big enough to copy the Server 40gig's worth of stuff on to it; including: the accounts, the files, applications, raw data, application preferences, account preferences, and the Bootable Unix system. About 99.95% of all the known files were recovered, though some invisiable files may have been lost. The DeskTop File (definatition table for Mac OS icon placement), seems to be missing on all the accounts. But a simple "Arrange Icons" command from the View menu should fix that.

The only solution left was to delete the RAID Definition Table (Part of the Partition Table on the hard drives), erase both drives from the server, and put together another RAID table. For Windows ppl out there, its like using FDISK to remove partitions and make new partitions over them. That usually mean that any information on the drive will be GONE!

With the RAID rebuilt, it just needed for it to be formatted (in this case as a RAID 0, which means that the two drives are copies or clones of each other), and the backup on the Firewire Drive to be put back on to the server drives. This step took slightly over 45 minutes.

Final step: Reboot the server.

And it booted, with both drives loading the system software in unison; What a damn lovely sight to see. Several tests were done to check data and account integrity, and yes- its all there, intact.

A lot of hard work for what? $11.65 an hour? Shit, if it were a consulting job, it would have cost them $5 grand. The school better think how lucky they are to have me, and to have me at such a low cost. Consider that it was just 1 person alone who did this, and with Apple Inc. having very little input as to what I did (though they mentioned what should be done- I have already taken those steps before I called them- so they were of no help.).

Anything else? Of course, always, but with this headache of stress and thinking, I'm going to rest for a while.

Next tme, I will know better.
And so will you:

Back up data/files
Delete RAID & Partition Tables
Format drives
Rebuild RAID and Partition tables
Format RAID as RAID:0 (mirror)
Replace backed up data/files back onto the server.
Reboot.

With any luck, this should work....

...and BTW, Ghoti... before fixing it- the drive could not be 'ls'-d. Well, sort of, sometimes it gave good listings, other times, it gave random junk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> elfen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: