Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand Surgery Part III

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Hand Surgery Part III Reply with quote

Well, I can't say it was unexpected, but I had surgery on my right pinky finger for the third time. As typical, it was another tumor that's bound to return again at some point in time.
Surgery was four days ago, I get the bracing and stitches out on the nineteenth. It's oh so fun to type one-handed or try to type with one finger non-functional.
Yay me.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Surgery follow up Reply with quote

A follow-up

Rehab by a therapist went as well as could be expected. It's been over two months since I went to my first rehab appointment and I would put recovery at maybe 80% or so. Now the rehab is on me to make headway on recovering that last 20% of motion range. Final report from the doctor was it was a tumor, scar tissue from past surgeries and yes, Dupuytren's Contracture. It may come back but hopefully that is long after I quit writing.

I will be trying to post Chapter 7 of "Rift" soon.

Kel

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get things working well soon. Smile

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hikaru wrote:
Hope you get things working well soon. Smile

Thanks - I should say the hand is mostly workable as is but it would be nice to get that last bit of mobility back so I don't need to give up the piano. The right pinky is instrumental in a vast number of piano classics.

EXan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
Hands are tricky. Hope you can get your dexterity back to 100%

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how have you progressed in your recovery, Kel? Back to having all the digits on the keyboard? Playing piano or guitar?

When I was a kid my dad almost severed his left hand falling through a plate glass window. He recovered most of the utility of it, but could not completely close a fist or spread all five digits out straight. He led a normal life after the re-attachment (a bit of medical wowzerness in 1966), but could not return to two of his favorite past-times ... skiing and playing a guitar.

Not all was lost, however. In place of those setbacks he discovered he could grip a control yoke or stick, and thus the loss became the springboard for his four-decade general aviation career.

The ol' buffalo is gone these days, right? What are you wrenching on now? Does the pinky interfere with gripping tools or operating power equipment?

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SC!

Some background; my right little finger couldn't open fully, about 90 degrees or so. It was snagging on things, I sprained it once on the daughter's pontoon boat putting it back on the trailer last year. It was mostly Dupuytren's Contracture isolated to my finger. I can get it mostly back straight but not entirely. Far better than it was before.
It's usually tight in the morning so I have to exercise it, then look for some Tylenol fast acting extra strength. Have to do that to keep the tendon sheath from reattaching to the tendon. I have to stretch things out so I can have that reach for playing piano and hitting the upper right keys on the old computer. We're probably at 90 percent now, and it works okay enough to work around any lingering stiffness. So far, it's not stopping me from working on anything I want to tackle, such as the downstairs toilet need a new gasket and anchor bolts. I think that's tomorrow's project.
So, The Great White Buffalo is still with us for now, just like a cat it knows a good home when it sees it with a nice, fat wallet to feed on. His stablemate, the 2005 Exploder we've owned since new has been begging for brakes, gonna try to get that in before we get bad weather this fall. The Buffalo needs new shoes and the rear fuel delivery module replaced. Hopefully soon for the shoes, the FDM will have to wait until spring.

That's all for now, our very needy cat needs her personal attention . . . again.

Kel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Kellan Meig'h All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: