Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trixie Belden and the Anthrocon Mystery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m halfway thru it and really enjoying it, thanks for sharing Kinsfire!
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The first "Trixie Belden and the AC Mystery" S Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
Tygon wrote:
Okay, I'm having a hard time not to constantly ask when chapter 2 will come out so I decided to busy my mind with some early speculations.

It's in the works as we speak, as well as ItSW 10. I was stalled on ItSW, trying to figure out something. Yech - I don't like what I came up with.

Yay! That's great! That there'll be more soon, I mean, not that you don't like what you came up with.

Kinsfire wrote:
My first thought on reading this was, "You're good!" This is going to be a challenge writing this, and that makes it fun!

Thanks for the compliment. I tried to do some logical thinking and analyzing and for a change it at least sounds as if I was successful Wink I don't claim to but right, it's far to early for that, but as far as speculating goes I think mine sound good Smile

Kinsfire wrote:
Tygon is going to be my test subject, probably.

I'd gladly take that job. I would offer a kinda different opinion than someobody who knows the novels. Okay, I don't know the characters very well (read: basically not at all) but on the other paw I thanks to that I have a more objective opinion Smile

Kinsfire wrote:
We know that Rava knows the stories, and I think Galadrion does too, but who else? Those that know them know whether or not Brian could do such a thing (remember the kind of temper he has...).

Further deponent sayeth not.

And I think I won't ask. But you may forgive me if I keep speculating Wink

Kinsfire wrote:
Tygon wrote:
The next "Trixie Belden and the AC Mystery" Speculation will be posted when chapter 2 comes out (or when I get another idea Smile)

Well, with luck, Chapter 2 will be in your hot little hands (virtually speaking) soon. I'm five or six printed pages into it. (Chapter 2 was nine pages, in my version.) I could be as few as seven or hideously more pages. Who knows?

Heh-heh-heh...

Ah, verrrry good. I think case I'll do my best to wait patiently Smile

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting to do two things I've wanted to for a while - write a mystery set at a convention, and write a Trixie Belden fanfic mystery.

Trust me, there will be surprises enough for everyone.

Just remember, folks, if you want to be included (no promises that I can get everyone in, except maybe as a walk-by cameo), I'm asking that you tell me. If so, give me a quick description of yourself. I've had a few say it's okay - and they're already listed in the Dramatis Personae of my outline for this.

Actually, let me give the list, so that everyone will know who I'm positive has given me permission as of this point.

AnthroCon crew:
Tygon
CatEagle
The Old Gray Raccoon
Concolor
Rava Purr

If you gave me permission, and you're not listed, I apologize - I can't find the place where you said it.

No promises for speaking roles, BTW...Laughing All anyone might manage is a wave at the camera. (Maybe a "Hi Mom!" sign? Very Happy)

Kinsfire

Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can include me if you'd like, pm me and I'll send you a description

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely interested, as I said - though unless you're planning on making it a cross-country jaunt, I'd almost have to show up at the convention...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to interview everyone was going to be tricky at best, so most (if not all) of the action will take place during Anthrocon.

That gives me the fun of trying to write multiple chapters that don't run into each other, and all of which cover a single day, or even a single moment in time during a day.

Well, I've always wanted to write a mystery - now to see if I can...

Kinsfire

Rava

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Brian would never do something like this

a) no temper once so ever to speak of.
b) He wanted to be a doctor
c) He takes his word very seriously (aka the oath)
d) He loves his family too much to hurt them like this.

2) I hate Dennis... (I can't believe Trixie likes him.) He is too much of a player for me to trust him. Something about him tells me he was the target and Honey just got in the way... Dont know why he just really rubbed me the wrong way.

3) I'm glad Kinsfire choose Dan. If he wasnt going to let her be with Jim at least it was Dan. Smile I still think Jim and trixie were perfect together.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think you hate Dennis? Wait 'til I intro a few more characters.

With luck, I'll manage to get people wanting to gnaw their kneecaps off. (The characters, not the reader. Laughing)

Interesting take on things, Rava. I wasn't going to say anything, but with you mentioning it, I have to admit that Tygon got the Brian idea completely wrong. For someone who didn't know the characters, though, it was quite the interesting guess, and in an alternate universe, might have been true.

I hadn't thought I'd done enough personality for Dennis to be hateable yet...

Note that I am not denying other things...

Kinsfire

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
Interesting take on things, Rava. I wasn't going to say anything, but with you mentioning it, I have to admit that Tygon got the Brian idea completely wrong. For someone who didn't know the characters, though, it was quite the interesting guess, and in an alternate universe, might have been true.

And I won't change my opinon until I've met (meaning read about him) myself.

Kinsfire wrote:
I hadn't thought I'd done enough personality for Dennis to be hateable yet...

I think Rava said a little much there. You can't hate somebody right away unless he has done something to deserve it. It can be that you dislike somebody instantly but not hate.

And if you can... I think something's not going right.

elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And if you can... I think something's not going right.

mind you, it's just a story tho, everyone is entitled to feel sympathetic or not towards the characters, it's just a matter of tastes, which vary from fur to fur BTW.

Last edited by elMaxx on Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps Rava can explain why she claims to hate Dennis.
Rava

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

Quite possibly it's a reaction to seeing characters I know so well and love being 'played' by a jerk. Everytime Trixie makes that mistake someone she cares about nearly gets hurt or nearly killed.

I love these characters, seeing Honey get hurt and seeing Dennis hit on Trixie while Honey was lying in a hospital bed was enough to make my femme blood boil and my hatred of the character stand with the statement I hate him.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:
Tygon wrote:

Quite possibly it's a reaction to seeing characters I know so well and love being 'played' by a jerk. Everytime Trixie makes that mistake someone she cares about nearly gets hurt or nearly killed.

I love these characters, seeing Honey get hurt and seeing Dennis hit on Trixie while Honey was lying in a hospital bed was enough to make my femme blood boil and my hatred of the character stand with the statement I hate him.

I can neither explain nor will I defend Dennis' action or behavior but I don't get what you mean my the characters being 'played'. I sure hope you don't mean that Kinsfire is a jerk because he is the only one I see 'playing' the characters since he writes the story.

Also I fail to see where Trixie made a mistake that led to Honey and Dennis getting hurt.

Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading Rava's use of idiom correctly, "playing" in this sense is shorthand for the phrase "playing for a fool" - that is, taking advantage of their trust for his own purposes. I'm not entirely convinced at this point that this is in fact what Dennis is up to, but given what I remember of the stories (remember, I'm looking back through several years since the last time I actually held the books), Trixie and the BWGs are prone to attracting those who would use this tactic - though they do manage to catch on before it's too late...

Kinsfire could indeed be using this device - as I implied, it happened often enough in canon, and Kinsfire might be plotting things this way because it's a recurring theme. Of course, he's also skilled enough that he could be using our expectations to lead us astray... another time-honored ploy in the portfolio of fanfic writers. Yes, I'm being deliberately weasel-worded and hedging my predictions. After all, (1) I don't know what Kinsfire is actually up to, and (2) I want confusion to rule the early part of what I see - a mystery which can be easily penetrated by the audience isn't as fun. And I'm part of that audience - I want to have to work for what I get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:

I know as writer that my response here could be taken as gospel, but I am playing D.A. (Devil's Advocate) right now. So do not think I have given anything away by my response. (This comment, obviously, goes for everyone who's reading it.)

Scenario One:

Remember the conversation when Dennis headed off with the nurse he was bantering with?

Trixie Belden and the Anthrocon Mystery - Chapter 1 wrote:
“Hey there, sis, don’t hold it against either of them,” Mart said quickly. “You know he’s joking, and it sounds like she did, too.”

“I know that, Mart. I’m used to that from him. How happy he sounded with her tells me just how depressed he is about this whole thing. I've noticed that the sadder he is, the happier the face he shows to the world. I asked him about it once, and he wasn't even aware that he does it. I guess it's 'cause he's sick enough of pity from losing his parents so young.”

“I don’t know him as well as you do, Trixie, but I’ve learned to trust your hunches over the years,” Jim said.

“Hunch, hell!” Mart exclaimed. “I’ve seen it, too. He’s so used to being alone that he keeps everything inside.”

Now, given the back-story I put in there, they've known him for four years. He knows that Trixie is there to keep him from getting too depressed, and whether he admits it or not, he's enjoying his depression too much. Trixie is a bit of a pit bull when she gets something in her head - she won't let go of it. So, he says the one thing he can think of that is likely to derail her train of thought for a while - tell her she's sexy. (Remember that he also said that Honey was more suited to him immediately following.) Now she's suitably derailed for a while.

Scenario Two:

On the flip side (still in D.A. mode) - he could be armpit deep in this scenario that led to Honey's being hospitalized, and hopes that he can throw everyone off the trail while he hunts down and kills the guy(s) that ran him off the road and almost killed him. He's known the Bob-Whites of the Glen for four years, so he knows that Trixie's not going to give up a mystery. Maybe he can guide her away from what he's hiding, though. Remember, he walked into their lives as a wealthy individual, saying that it's a trust fund of considerable size. What if the money comes from other sources? He's certainly intelligent, so he could be a more real-world type Lex Luthor. (Brains and criminality, not the wacky gadgets. If the fursuit comes into it, don't expect it to hover or anything...Laughing) If this is the case, this could be the beginnings of trying to drive a wedge between the members of the group as he tries to seduce Trixie, causing the rest of the Bob-Whites to begin to unravel as they try to work the whole thing out.

Scenario Three:

Another possibility (do I really need to say anything about D.A. mode? Very Happy) is that he's utterly clueless as to what's going on, and his comments to Trixie were face value, and nothing really was meant by it.

-------------

Just an example of what I may be doing with this. Be aware that there are more possibilities here than I listed above (such as combos of the above three), and the lack of description or a detailed description does not necessarily decide whether or not it's the actuality of Dennis' motives for saying what he did to Trixie.

Two asides: First, I actually know someone who does that sort of thing in Scenario Three - telling a woman he finds her attractive with no intention of doing anything else. (No, he's not gay, either...Smile) Secondly, I love these characters too, and there's a series of back stories I never wrote. (If this one works out well, I may write Dennis' moving to Sleepyside. Especially depending on whether or not he's the villain of this piece, it could make that story very interesting.) I am doing what I'm doing for the sake of the story, and I won't promise that it might not get distasteful to some of the readers who are fans. (I have a single sentence in an upcoming chapter that may send fans through the roof when they realize what it means. Yes, that means that section is already written.) I know that Rava and Galadrion have read them, but I don't recall who else has.

To reiterate what I said at the top - don't assume that any of these three possibilities give away the solution. If I do it right, you won't know until I'm almost done.

Kinsfire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> kinsfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: