Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The next best thing in wearable computing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: The next best thing in wearable computing? Reply with quote

Found here:
Quote:
Tattoos To Customize Sensations

Nokia has taken out a U.S. patent on technology used to create special tattoos that can pick up phone signals and send a “perceivable impulse” to your skin via magnetic waves from the ink, which contains iron.

According to the patent, the tattoos could even allow you to customize sensations as if they were ring tones (a tickle if it’s your sweetie, a pinch if it’s your ex?).

The patent also includes a temporary, stick-on tattoo option for those who aren’t too sure about the idea.

That would include Megan Hoogland, a nationally known tattoo artist who runs Mecca Tattoo in Mankato, Minn.

“Most inks have a bit of metal in them anyway, to get the colour, so it might not be dangerous,” she said. “But it seems a little too Big Brother-ish for me. We keep falling for this kind of thing, with Facebook, Google maps and cameras everywhere.” The biggest downside of all? “You can’t turn off a tattoo.”

(Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 9, 2012 D1)

Shocked

PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make slamming down you phone in anger even more undesirable than it currently is! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a temporary tattoo could be peeled off or washed away . . .

Confused

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you hear what I hear, We are the Borg.You will be assimlated, Resistance is futile!... Shocked

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
Do you hear what I hear, We are the Borg.You will be assimlated, Resistance is futile!... Shocked

Resistance is not futile . . .

Resistance is Voltage divided by current.

Cool

Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could image the beyond development where say the phone is also installed in the arm and out in anger, you try to hang up but end up slapping your arm over and over which looks like 1. you are trying to kill a blood sucker bug that won't die or 2. you are going crazy.

Person: *fwap fwap*

Jaymee drinks hot tea and raises one eyebrow.

------------------------
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an urban myth about tattoos which explode or burst into flames when you put the wearer into a MRI machine, because of the iron oxide in black tattoo ink. Myth Busters just had to test that one. Very Happy Then even had some gnarly dude tattoo a dead pig with a heavily inked design. Nothin much happened. But the Tattoo did show up on the image.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
There is an urban myth about tattoos which explode or burst into flames when you put the wearer into a MRI machine, because of the iron oxide in black tattoo ink. Myth Busters just had to test that one. Very Happy Then even had some gnarly dude tattoo a dead pig with a heavily inked design. Nothin much happened. But the Tattoo did show up on the image.

You actually believe anything Myth Busters do? I don't. That show is to prove to the average idiot out there not to do things because they wont work! Which is Bull!

Bullproof car? I had a '73 Satellite and wound up driving into shoot out. The bullets bounced off the doors and fenders, even after a second time I returned with the police and it went on for another 10 minutes! Myth Busters shot up a mid 1980s Cadillac and filled with holes from high powered military rounds and stated "There is no such thing as a bullet proof car!" Protection depends on what is being thrown at it. My car may not stand up to a .50 caliber super rifle, but it will to a 9mm hand gun.

Being electrocuted by the train track third rail? They said its not possible. They say that there is no police records of it happening in NYC. They done a test with a bottle of urine trickling down a third rail they rigged up with a Florence Light Fixture. Thats 4000 volts at so many Microamps. It may shock you but it wont kill you, at best you'll get an electric Tingle down your arms. It will not arc through a broken stream of urine! How much electricity does the NYC Third Rail has? "Enough Electricity to push a train!" as the joke goes. That 600V at 400amps. More than enough to fry you alive, and definitely more than enough to go through a broken stream of Urine. It recently happened (again) last June. Some poor guy pulled out his wiener to relieve himself and hit the third rail. He was found dead the next morning, in such a horrific site I will not describe it here. And this happens at least once or twice a year in NYC. And to find out where, you need to contact the coroner's office. The police only handles crimes involving death, not accidental deaths.

Depending on how old and what type of ink is used to make a tattoo depends on what reaction happens. In NYC hospitals they DO NOT ALLOW people with tattoos to take MRI unless its absolutely necessary! I bet the MRI used on Myth Busters was not either on or set to such a low power that it could only do a surface scan. And remember, PhotoShop is your best friend in such cases and Myth Busters LOVE Photoshop! If an MRI can rip a fire extinguisher off a wall and send it flying across the room, what does that say about the power of an MRI Machine?

Now think. If the magnetic field can from a cellphone can effect a tattoo, even a temporary one, what can an MRI do to it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
You actually believe anything Myth Busters do? I don't. That show is to prove to the average idiot out there not to do things because they wont work! Which is Bull!

The purpose of Mythbusters is entertainment. Out of the thousands of myths tested you complain about two. Why the hostility?

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Bullproof car? I had a '73 Satellite and wound up driving into shoot out. The bullets bounced off the doors and fenders, even after a second time I returned with the police and it went on for another 10 minutes! Myth Busters shot up a mid 1980s Cadillac and filled with holes from high powered military rounds and stated "There is no such thing as a bullet proof car!" Protection depends on what is being thrown at it. My car may not stand up to a .50 caliber super rifle, but it will to a 9mm hand gun.

There is probably a substantial difference in body panel thickness between an early 70s car and an 80s car. However, in a shootout my money would be on a Checker. Besides, nothing is truly bulletproof--there is always a bigger bullet. Wink

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Being electrocuted by the train track third rail? They said its not possible. They say that there is no police records of it happening in NYC. They done a test with a bottle of urine trickling down a third rail they rigged up with a Florence Light Fixture. Thats 4000 volts at so many Microamps. It may shock you but it wont kill you, at best you'll get an electric Tingle down your arms. It will not arc through a broken stream of urine! How much electricity does the NYC Third Rail has? "Enough Electricity to push a train!" as the joke goes. That 600V at 400amps. More than enough to fry you alive, and definitely more than enough to go through a broken stream of Urine. It recently happened (again) last June. Some poor guy pulled out his wiener to relieve himself and hit the third rail. He was found dead the next morning, in such a horrific site I will not describe it here. And this happens at least once or twice a year in NYC. And to find out where, you need to contact the coroner's office. The police only handles crimes involving death, not accidental deaths.

I had to Google "third rail electrocution nyc". I believe it's possible, as one can receive a jolt when peeing on an electric fence. I found an interesting article that talks about Matt Zeno's third-rail accident, and also cites Mythbusters.
Times News Feed wrote:
When the prop was standing on dry ground, wearing rubber shoes and not touching the third rail, it suffered no harm...

Wait a minute. What this seems to say is if one is insulated from the ground one cannot be shocked by the train's power feed. Well, duh. Seems like a faulty experiment to me (but then I haven't see that episode). How many people go about in perfectly insulating shoes? And I'm not sure what is meant by the "third rail" in this quote, the power rail or the ground rail? At any rate, conductive liquids and electricity don't mix.

Oh yeah. In most places the police do come out for a body, even in the case of an accidental death. So their would an entry in the police records.

Elfen_Furry wrote:
Depending on how old and what type of ink is used to make a tattoo depends on what reaction happens. In NYC hospitals they DO NOT ALLOW people with tattoos to take MRI unless its absolutely necessary!

By your own admission, NYC hospitals have put some tattooed people through MRI machines. Yet no mention of their tattoos catching fire or exploding, which is what Mythbusters tested.

Elfen_Furry wrote:
I bet the MRI used on Myth Busters was not either on or set to such a low power that it could only do a surface scan. And remember, PhotoShop is your best friend in such cases and Myth Busters LOVE Photoshop!

The magnets in MRI are always on and cannot be dialed down. As for PhotoShop, prove it. Prove that Mythbusters uses or has ever used PhotoShop (or something like it) to manipulate the results of an experiment.

Elfen_Furry wrote:
If an MRI can rip a fire extinguisher off a wall and send it flying across the room, what does that say about the power of an MRI Machine?

Irrelevant. They were not testing fire extinguishers embedded in people's skin, but small amounts of microscopic particles of iron oxide. One thing they did not test was if there was any sensation associated with a tattoo in an MRI machine. The pigs used in the experiment were quite dead.

I've only seen a small fraction of the Mythbusters shows. For the most part their science and methodology is fine. Sometimes they attempt to test things that are inherently non-repeatable because of many uncontrollable variables (e.g. the avalanche show). Oh yeah, I Googled "mythbusters photoshop" and after several pages of results I found only this mention of photo manipulation, which was done by an involved party for their blog and did not appear on the show.

Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 3 tattoos and have had an MRI done. I was a tad to concerned about the extremely loud noises, and the weird mask thing they used to hold my head in place, to worry about that. They were more worried about me leaving my glasses and my cell phone 3 rooms over. I asked about my tats and the tech kinda giggled and said I would be fine. No issues here and one was almost directly in the center of the machine. * shrugs*
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my knee done in 2011. Man that thing makes weird noises.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: My 0.02 USD worth Reply with quote

I've had an MRI literally right at a tattoo! Tat is on my right arm, almost at the shoulder and the MRI was for a damaged rotator cuff. It tingles, yeah but it didn't do anything other than that. And yes, it did show up in the MRI, if you rotated the image on the screen just right.

Yeah, in my case, they wanted me to leave my glasses and watch far, far away.

As a side note, I have a '60's era Indiana General slot car magnet remagnetizer. It weighs about 140 lbs and it will create a 27 megagauss field inside the jaws, compared to an MRI machine that runs at 30 kilogauss. Picture Here

When I press the button to charge the magnets, you _can_ feel the field build and then collapse when I release the button. Power requirements are 120 VAC, 16 amps. It's converted to DC with a rectfier so that brings it to 160 VDC. Wicked little tool.

But I digress.

Mr. Green

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's friggen cool!
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, a remagnetizer. I get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: