Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of shameless advertising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: A bit of shameless advertising Reply with quote

Hey there, everyone.

I've been given permission to post this by the filly, for which I'm immensely grateful to her.

Some of you who regularly check her blog may have noticed she's added a link in the sidebar to 'Battleboards for Wargaming'. She has very kindly added that to help promote the business I'm a part of. Basically, Battleboards produces miniaturised terrain for tabletop wargames and dioramas.

At the moment, we're running a competition of Facebook to design a fantasy-style scoreboard for a tabletop fantasy football game. Aslaug suggested that I post this and see if any of you might be interested in this. It's an open competition, you don't need to be a great artist to take part, and if you win, you'll receive the prize of your design made into an actual tabletop scoreboard. Even if you're not really into wargaming, it's a chance to show off your creativity and the prize will make a nice ornament.

If you're interesting in taking part, follow us on our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Battleboards-UK/258473664164122

Thank you for hearing me out, guys. Very Happy

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go take a look guys ... you won't believe the detail. Oh, and pay attention to the "fantasy football stadium". That was my idea originally and apparently it's one of their better selling objects now. I have the first one made in a really awesome box.

Trust me, you won't believe the detail on the landscape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Bloodbowl (Games Workshop wasn't it?)... though this stadium is too generic (no home team banners)
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is meant specifically for that purpose. The problem is that Blood Bowl is a trademark owned by Games Workshop and they do not allow anyone to sell anything with that name on it. They don't, however, mind the rather generic name "fantasy football". Team banners can be painted onto the field (mine has a nice skaven symbol on the center as I have a thing for the ratmen ... yesyes, we must kill-kill the dwarf-things, yeeeesss ... *ahem*). You can also buy dugouts and such things as a scoreboard is in production ... in fact a competition for the design of one is running right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
That was my idea originally and apparently it's one of their better selling objects now.

More like our best-selling product, my dear filly. It was an innovation for which we are all still immensely grateful. Very Happy

Aslaug wrote:
You can also buy dugouts and such things as a scoreboard is in production ... in fact a competition for the design of one is running right now.

The competition is running out of time, but we'll always welcome a few late entries. I cannot stress enough how much this means to me and everyone at Battleboards, guys. Check it out and have a bash at designing a scoreboard. You'll be doing our small unit a massive favour. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Latrans

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that I'm no tabletop wargamer so a lot of this is gibberish to me. On top of that, I avoid facebook about the way a deer rolled in bacon grease might avoid a pack of starving hyenas.

However, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some sort of design work (assuming you don't mind an abysmally low drawing skill). Just a couple of questions, if you don't mind. Most importantly, where can I get some information on the design contest (since that would likely answer the rest of these)? Where should I submit suggestions? Are there scale limitations and if so, what are they? How about technical limitations (i.e. no mechanical inner workings)? Lastly, when does this design contest end?
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a link on my homepage in the sidebar, to the Battleboards homepage Smile
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latrans wrote:
However, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some sort of design work (assuming you don't mind an abysmally low drawing skill). Just a couple of questions, if you don't mind. Most importantly, where can I get some information on the design contest (since that would likely answer the rest of these)? Where should I submit suggestions? Are there scale limitations and if so, what are they? How about technical limitations (i.e. no mechanical inner workings)? Lastly, when does this design contest end?

Well, all you need do is submit your design to [email protected], and we'll e-mail you back to inform you if you've won. The scale is 1:64 (28mm for the average-sized humanoid figure). There are no technical limitations to consider, however.

I'm including a couple of image files that should clarify a few of the issues of scale, basic design elements, and some-such. Note that the actual scoreboard doesn't have to conform to that exact design, but the number system should follow through in a similar fashion. If there's anything else you're still confused about, please let me know.

Latrans

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got some ideas kicking around my skull, but I've also a couple more questions. My initial thought was 'scoreboard' that just kept track of the score. Obviously (judging by the images) there's a decent bit more to it. Pretty much all of what follows stems exclusively from my lack of experience with anything wargame related.

First, "Score" is fairly self explanatory, but how are "Re-Rolls" and "Turn" utilized? Do they have to lay flat (i.e. so you can set figures on them) or can they be tipped on end? Is there a significance to the number of available digits and what order those digits are laid out?

Lastly, is there any specific form factor you'd like the finalized board to fit (i.e. 3x6 squares with a 1x10 tail) or will this be a stand-alone piece that doesn't need to worry about making room for other structures on the board?

Sorry for what is probably some really noob questions but, um... Noob on deck! Abandon ship!
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you don't need to worry about re-rolls and turns. We just want a standalone score board with Home and Away scores, and they usually won't go higher than 9 points apiece. You don't need to worry about how it will fit with the rest of the board, we'll sort that out from the design.

We're honestly just looking for a simple design (based around an Aztec theme, admittedly). It is a shame that you won't go on Facebook, because rather ironically, that is where all the rules, submitted design entries, and voting are shown, so if you win you will be rather out of the loop. We are also extending the voting and submission period for late entries to show off their ability.

One thing that does pique my interest is that if you win, your prize will be a model of the score board you designed, that you won't use for wargaming. As I have mentioned, it will also make a nice mantelpiece ornament, but that's your call. Wink

Latrans

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so my initial mental image was more accurate than I came to believe. Thanks for clarifying. As for Facebook, I neither have an account nor accept cookies so if it isn't on your front page, I can't look at it. I tried, and anything I clicked on kept just redirecting me back. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: