Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burnout
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Burnout Reply with quote

I don't think this is going to come as a major surprise to most of you.

But I've burnt out. There's a Danish saying, going "don't smoke your cigar from both ends at the same time" and frankly, that's what I've done for years. I've written at a pace which we all knew ... myself included ... was unsustainable in the long run.

Now, for the first time in years, I have to admit I don't want to write. At least not right now. I don't doubt I'll want to again at some point, but when I do go back to writing, I don't think it'll be furry, and I don't know what it will be about.

Most of my readership is gone anyway. It's hardly a surprise why ... I'm confrontational, I'm in-your-face'ish and a lot of people honestly don't like the messages I have to share when they come to know me. Sometimes, I wonder why anyone ever read what I've written at all.

I'll still post the rest of Test of Time. But the story I had begun after that, called Gunsmoke, doesn't work. It just ... doesn't. I've received very substantial criticism about it from my proofers so far, and I have to agree with them. It's just not good.

So rather than post something utterly substandard, I'll walk away while I'm still slightly ahead.

It has been ... an incredible ride, guys, and I'm sure I'll go back to writing some day, for those of you who still read my things. I don't know when or how it'll be posted.

I'm sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to know when to hold'em
Know when to fold'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

Quote:
A man's got to know his limitations.

Sorry?? For what??
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frazikar. That was a genuinely nice thing to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is right, though. You shouldn't have to apologise for something that is inevitable and that you need to do. The thing about us who follow you, is we've grown accustomed and reassured by your, as you put it, 'in-your-face'ish' nature, and we're a very understanding lot because of it. Some people actually see the point in having their eyes opened to uncomfortable issues.

You need it, so go for it, and don't worry about us. I myself was a little shocked at the suddenness of the announcement, but I'll get over it quickly enough.

Not much else I can say, except good luck with whatever comes your way.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
tobi3B

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say I saw it coming sadly you overworked yourself.
Take a step back exhale slowly and look at the world with a fresh view
*hugs* If you need to talk just note me

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ... here's the thing. I already have ideas for things I really DO want to write. you know, stuff I can feel myself actually -burning- to write. It'll be a different genre, a whole new cast of characters, no furries even ... just all different. I have the ideas, and I want to do this so very badly, once I have it all fleshed out (which would take a bit of time)

I just need something NEW! And something I feel totally is my own.

But this is Planetfurry, and I wonder if people would even want to read it if it isn't furry, and what's more, I wonder if I'm even allowed to keep this forum if what I'm writing isn't furry anymore.
tobi3B

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I canīt answer you
I will read it fi you let me thatīs for sure

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Frazikar

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about what's on your site there...

[Hey wait a sec, besides Time, there's T4 to finish...]

You ain't out of them furry woods yet....
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea when and if I'll get around to finishing Transitions IV. It only needs a few chapters but every time I look at it, I get tired and sick to my stomach. I need to go on to something else so badly it's not even funny.

Hell, I wrote down some initial ideas at work today. Before I knew it, I had two races, a leading character, a style of writing, the beginnings of an environment ... I haven't felt like that in several years, guys. I'd almost forgotten what it was like. I came up with fantastic names for plants and words from an unknown language, just sitting there, idly typing a few words.

Before I knew, those "few words" filled three pages, and "She-Who-Dreams" is already becoming a lead character I like and admire.
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear, do what you need to do. This story sounds like it HAS to come out, NOW. I recall when you first started writing. At least one, if not two chapters a DAY!!. I hear that passion in you now for this new story. Furry or not, you have those here who enjoy your work, your wit, and your "in-your-face-idnesh." me included. If you find a time to return to your furry-genre stories, that's fine. The earmark of a creative mind, though, is that is is constantly striving to grow, to change, to find a new horizon.

And please, don't give up on your unreleased followup to "Time." It may need some rework, if you want, but you have a good story going there. Just be wary of writing yourself into a corner with it.

I guess I'm just trying to say that we love you, Dear. You don't need our permission or to give us an apology for following your muse and your heart.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tijn

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read Transitions (so far).
The reason (for me) to read this, and to be interested in other writings, is because you write well. The furry theme just brought it to my attention, is all.
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed TM!
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TM, if you have a story begging to jump onto the screen, do it!

I know my burnout is pending, if not here already. Chapter 10 of "Redemption" is languishing on my hard drive and I just can't get myself to continue. Is that how you felt?

Anyway, that story I alluded to? I'm working on it in earnest now.

Take care,

Kel

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I've felt for a while, Kellan.

Every time I look at the computer and think "I should be writing", I realize that as soon as it becomes "I should be" rather than "I want to", something is really wrong.

I have already come up with these two new races for the story I'm thinking about ... a fantasy-tale, but without high sorcery and possibly entirely without humans. The main race, or at least the race of the main character, is a tribal culture of lizard-riding, bony, longlimbed but very small creatures calling themselves "riders". The tribe my main character belongs to lives in a forest which is so large it beggars imagination ... a forest the size of several earthly continents, with strange plants and weird colours, and lots and lots of dangers.

And then there are "they". She-Who-Dreams, my main character, doesn't actually know what "they" are called when the story begins, but she wants so very badly to learn more about "them". But what "they" look like, and what "they" are all about I won't give away here. Suffice to say it's fun writing again.

And I'm finally writing something for the net in my favorite style ... first person, direct-stream-of-thought. I just love that way of writing, because it really means I have to get into the head of the main character in a literal sense.

Thank you for understanding, everyone. Honestly, this is something I've been on the verge of doing for over a year, and always thought "nahh, just write one more furry story, and the spark will come back" and it just didn't.
NavLite

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Needs saying Reply with quote

I could understand how you might have grown weary of the furry genre, despite all its varied flavours. Even the best of singers need to evolve their style and repertoire to keep their passion of the music.

That is not to say your furry writings will not be missed. They will.

The writings you offered freely to us and everybody else has a style that allowed you to deliver your points with force and bluntness. Like taking a horseshoe to the head.
Those who could not stomach your writings would long since have gone, but that is not the same as saying that everyone who might disagree with your viewpoints wouldn't read your works.
There are some of your views that I don't share, but still I read your words and find tremendous value in them, as they shine through in your literature as well as in your blog entries.
A value that I think comes from sometimes having been made to re-think those views and even had them changed by you one or twice.

And now for the question: Does it seem even remotely plausible that one such reader would abandon your writings simply because you change settings, style or even universe completely?
I doubt your affinity for delivering horseshoes to the head would dissipate if you chose another genre.
This is to speak nothing of also reading for the sake of pure enjoyment of great storytelling from one whom is so obviously brimming with it.

I trust you to understand, that the answer to the posed question is 'No'.

These were my pennies worth of thoughts. May they count for quids.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: