Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not trying to toot my own horn but.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princeben07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Not trying to toot my own horn but..... Reply with quote

Working on computers for almost 16 years has taught me ALOT recently.

There are people out here that can't make heads or tails of wht RAM is or what a paging file is simply because it all sounds like techno-babble.

Well, I have decided to start a thread on this site that caters to those kind of computer needs. ALL are free to inbox me with their questions as well. While the internet has tons of answers, I have the knack of breaking things down to understandable terms for everyone to better comprehend.

[email protected]
[email protected]

www.facebook.com/princeben07
www.myspace.com/princeben07
www.valucre.com/princeben07

Syrius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A commendable effort. Hope people read it. (The Bible says that those who seek or ask, will find and receive, doesn't it?)

I myself have wanted to go and shove a modem down the throats of some people too stupid to be in front of a computer.

Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syrius wrote:
too stupid to be in front of a computer.

Impossible. They've trained monkeys to type and I'm sure they could train monkeys to change RAM sticks and Video Cards too.

Though the static from the fur might be problematic to that venture.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impossible I've worked tech support for 13 years now and some of the people I have had to deal with would serve as proof that brain death is a survivable condition.

And the person who said "There is no such thing as a stupid question" never worked technical support.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:

And the person who said "There is no such thing as a stupid question" never worked technical support.

Amen!

I've been in the business sine 1993, and I'm still occassionally surprised(negatively) by what users can ask and do...

Back in the age of the 3.5" floppy...
A user found that one wasstuk in the drive. What did she do?
Yank it out, of course... Guess who had to drive 1Hour one way, to remove the bits still in it beause 'she needed to copy out some important files'.
Copy out files, yeah. She used diskettes for backing up the files she had on the C: drive, on her NETWORKED PC. And she was the one that was responsible for changing the tape in the drive on the local server every day...

Users calling me directly(usually when I'm in a meeting in another city...) because an 'important' printer is out of toner. The same printer that has been showing 'order toner' messages for the last two weeks...
Or finding that next to a colour laser, where we had set out spares, there were a complete set of EMPTY toners because nobody bothered to tell us that they used one of the spares...

Back when we had WinNT4.0 and users had admin rights...
(Bad combination: users + Windows + admin rights)
One guy installed a Win95 'game'(Some LEGO Mindnumb stuff that used IRDA to communicate with the LEGO rotoics stuff)
This of course thrashed the OS, and they had to send it to me for reinstall.
(Location he was on was 4hours away by car and two ferries... if you were lucky)
Took 3 days before he had it back, during which time he didn't really do much...
Took less than a week for him to decide to try the program again...
Had to read him the riot act and threaten to go to his superior for wasting both his and our time and resources.

People call us to have new SW installed(We use MS SCCM, earlier known as SMS for SW installs), telling us that they're in a hurry and will need it immediately next morning. Then they SWITCH OFF the computer and go home...

Or, when at the Helldesk, a user calls in and say it's 'urgent' then puts me on hold? And is pissed off when I hang up on him...

Then there's the people who let their kids 'fix' their problems first before calling the helldesk...
I just reinstall the PC, and explain that I really should have started a formal police investigation for hacking since 'someone' has been playing with one of the 'get admin privileges' tricks found on the net in order to follow some half-baked tips on the net.
(Yes, we take hacking seriously)

Which leads to the consultant that wa hired in on a contract, to work for IT...
He REALLY should have known better than to download a license key extractor tool... (The download was flagged immediately by the anti-virus toolkit on the PC, on the web-proxy... And even on the third-party monitoring service. We're big. We get great service... )
He didn't have time to run the SW before he was out on the street, with a big hole in his CV...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Not impossible I've worked tech support for 13 years now and some of the people I have had to deal with would serve as proof that brain death is a survivable condition.

That made my day, lol.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
tijn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience with the help-desk side. Usually I try to imagine the person at the other end is human too.
Idiots probably live at both ends of the phone.

Perhaps a story matching the thread: in 1993 a lady who was staff on the university calculation cluster (IBM AIX machines) felt her position entitled her to root status.
Turns out that when you run '\rm -rf' in the '/' as root it stops only once /bin/rm is removed.
They did have a good backup on those nice big, heavy tapes, a singularly angry administrator and a serious amount of downtime.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn, was she trying to free up some disk space? Rolling Eyes

S~

tijn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free disk space? No, that would have been a reason I could have understood (especially then, system disk was 200MB IIRC).
No, she didn't like -and I quote- 'the clutter of files'. Shocked
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who exactly taught her that command?

THAT is the person you need to find and set Aslaug on...

Want some fun?

Teach a windows user to write:
RMDIR %Windir% /S /Q
(Use %Widir% instead of C:\windows, in case he has a non-standard setup.)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: