Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ta-da!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Ta-da! Reply with quote

This new subforum looks happier with a post in it, even if this post isn't saying much of anything ∑:)

If you've never read my stories, now's a good time to start. Check out Blizzard (the very first chapter) or, the whole index.

Thanks again to the PF admins for providing a cubicle to set up my soapbox!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahahh, a new place to lurk....

Didn't mind EISB so much but this take has been refreshing...
(same skeleton, slightly different framing?)
Jadyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, yes.

After looking at some of the terrible mistakes I'd made in my early foray at creating something worthwhile to share, I went back and redid a huge portion of EISB. It's been suggested (and I heartily agree at this point) that I only made it worse.

After a long hiatus away from it for a variety of life reasons, I wound up tearing the foundation to bits a second time and completely revamping it. I feel like it's on better footing this time; I haven't heard much of anything in the line of complaints as of yet, so I suspect I'm doing at least a little bit better.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kcmack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stories. I have gotten through them both and I am enjoying them. It will be interesting to see where you take your story.
I wonder, is it possible to use temporal magic to slow down time for long periods? Reason I am asking is that might explain how the colonist survived for so long in the deep freeze. Maybe make it so it slows time down to 1/10th the rate of flow. Turning the 300+ years into just about 30+, thier time of course.

Tsunari

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest complaint is, id like you to get on to the new stuff and not worry about the old stuff as much. do we look forward to a total rewrite of creationism?
Tsunari

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmack wrote:
Nice stories. I have gotten through them both and I am enjoying them. It will be interesting to see where you take your story.
I wonder, is it possible to use temporal magic to slow down time for long periods? Reason I am asking is that might explain how the colonist survived for so long in the deep freeze. Maybe make it so it slows time down to 1/10th the rate of flow. Turning the 300+ years into just about 30+, thier time of course.

Personally I think its a direct divine intervention. His grandmother talked to their spirit of light as if it were arranged for their safety.
typhoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to prove I'm human to the Board Wink

kcmack wrote:

TBia suggests and has already checked for Time anomalies - in PS 5:

Quote:

Short of a loophole in space-time that’s made her stint in cryo last less than a year from the moment she entered? No idea. The hardware’s normal and doesn’t list any sort of weird temporal event through the timestamps.

Of course sensor can be fooled and logs spoofed or simply made up.

Tsunari wrote:

Personally I think its a direct divine intervention. His grandmother talked to their spirit of light as if it were arranged for their safety.

The promise to Jadyns grandmother (The high spirit actually schedules an appointment with her) is at the beginning of Fission. This does suggest some amount of divine intervention which as far as I gather from that conversation is a strange and unusual thing for the eight to do.

Jadyn, TBia and Alecha have no idea of course so they will keep trying to figure out what's going on there. And of course they have to assume normal mortality figures for the observed stay in cryo ... Confused Confused
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there's something missing on your site...

.PDF downloads...

Trying to transfer your stories to my Kindle is kind of a drag the way they are now.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Jadyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do about that. I've never tried to generate PDFs for them. I'd been working on a text-only output plugin but have had a few troubles integrating it.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jadyn wrote:
I'll see what I can do about that. I've never tried to generate PDFs for them. I'd been working on a text-only output plugin but have had a few troubles integrating it.

Not having dealt with Wordpress much, I'm not sure if you pre-write your post, then copy/paste it or if you actually work with it on-line, doing direct input.

OpenOffice does direct PDF output from a text document, if you're working off-line. Cut/paste into Openoffice, then export. You would then upload it to somewhere to host the PDF for others to download/read.

By the way, read the first three chapters just now. Very good storyline.

Kellan

Jadyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kellan.

Wordpress is nice in that you can do either - compose online, saving drafts as you go (which also provides access to built-in versioning; you can see exactly what's changed between revisions of documents while in the administration panels) or compose offline and slap in the finished document.

Most everything I do is composed offline in an app called 'StoryMill.' Rather than using editor commands for formatting which tend to be lost (in my experience) when moving from an offline editor into Wordpress, I use markdown syntax when I write.

*emphasis* becomes emphasis, whereas **strong** becomes strong.

->This would be centered on a page.<-

The original file then isn't filled with HTML markup and generally still makes sense as plaintext. But, it does add an extra step or two if I want to do anything else with it - such as spit out a PDF or even an ePub file.

There's a few places that'll dynamically take the formatted web content and build a pdf from it - printfriendly.com comes to mind. However, when I poked it today as a test, it ate every horizontal rule on every page, making it impossible to see section breaks.

In the end I'll likely have to just roll my own PDFs so I have the finer grained control. Have to tweak the main index, too, to point at different file formats.

typhoon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jadyn wrote:
Thanks, Kellan.

In the end I'll likely have to just roll my own PDFs so I have the finer grained control. Have to tweak the main index, too, to point at different file formats.

Didn't somebody mention doing ebook Versions of the stories for himself to take along? Somwhere in the comments to the main blog as far as I remember...

I know that way back I did PDF/Postscript Versions by pasting things into LaTeX and adding some markup but that involved quite some manual work. I looked at a few Storywriting Programs last months (And settled to stay with text editor+wiki for now) and one or two of them had a LaTeX export too. Dunno if StoryMill was one of them but if it was that might be a good route to take to obtain various other formats.
Jadyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Storymill has a PDF export option. Not sure if it'd throw the same sort of errors Mike mentioned with regards to size; I'll have to generate one and put it somewhere for people to test.

I think Darius did up files for his palmpilot back several years ago.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably send the html files to my @kindle address, but...
Not only would I then get all the 'crap'(menus and stuff, anything that isn't story, really) around the edges, but it doesn't always work, either.
When I sent the ALN story in html format, I ended up with... a file with html markup all over it.
I ended up importing it into Word, saving it as .doc and sending that to my @kindle addy.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Jadyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some back and forth with an online service called PrintFriendly regarding certain HTML tags their service stripped, some of which are rather important (such as horizontal rules), there's now an on-the-fly PDF creation link on the individual chapters.

I'll still wind up rolling my own files, but in the interim this should help in the process of loading onto ereaders.

Example.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Terra Fabula All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: