Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A great idea for small apartments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vallus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: A great idea for small apartments Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

I would love to see that concept take off and implemented large scale!
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't care to live in it, for a thousand reasons. It's better than a "corridor living room", as the video put it, which I see as an ultimate nightmare. But I can barely function in my current kitchen, for example, which is many times the size of that one. And, I _like_ my clutter.

No thank you. But then, I tremble at the idea of living in a major city period.
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that for like a college dorm room. Or a young singles apartment complex. But as for myself I'd have to agree with Rabbit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asalis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cool idea though considering the rates of apartments here in the US these days, i think it would be cheaper to share payments on a house with a couple others.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
shortwave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder what the sound deadening qualities are ... the sounds of the neighbor folk would be frustrating
Teric

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... that looks WAY cool. I'd like to try that out--but then I'm kind of a neat freak in the first place.
aryeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm great designe for a cramped city like hong kong.
well now we seen the futher on how we all will live.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, however, undesirable for me. More desirable would be less overpopulation or move to the country. (I don't like too big of cities anyway)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GriffinX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i can understand why hong kong is the way it is. first you have to remember is that up intell about what 2, 3 years ago hong kong was still part of the british empire. not part of comunist china, so lots of people flocked to it. second is where hong kong is located think of a valcano's caldera with a third of its steep walls having given way to the sea. that is what hong kong's geographe is like and since most of the mountanis reagin that serounds hong kong is less stable then say, the wasatch falt. it makes sence for them to have to crunch together.
http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea for a very small space, but I'll bet it's costly. Still, for Hong Kong the cost of the land has got to dominate.

I question the necessity of a laundry area for a high-rise. A common laundry area wouldn't be so horrible.

Living like that would force people to be neat. If you left clutter around you couldn't transform your rooms.

------
Tiny houses in general are a very cool idea. They wouldn't work for a big family, but then if you've got enough kids the average sized US house of 2,500 square feet starts to look pretty tiny.

Part of the problem of having lots of space is that most people accumulate lots of junk to fill it up. Moving might be the perfect time to go through all your accumulated stuff and get rid of what you don't need, but that time is stressful enough, plus most people too busy to do anything but pack and load.

There's a whole tiny house movement going on. In the northwestern US one of the leading proponents is Jay Shafer, who owns Tumbleweed Homes. Here's a YouTube walk through of one of his smaller models. The thing is on a trailer because US building codes prohibit a house under a certain number of square feet. He also has plans for larger permanently sited homes starting around 250 square feet. Here's a vid of how Jay's crew builds a house. The Fencl is their largest trailerable model and is 130 square feet. Very conventional construction, except for the trailer.

Stephen Marshall is another experienced designer/contractor building tiny homes.

Author Shay Salomon wrote a book, Little House on a Small Planet. She talks about what the smaller house has to offer people. It fits in with smaller transportation and "smaller" diets (low fat, low meat, vegetable based).

In an interview with a TV reporter one owner said, about living in a house under 100 square feet, that you had to really think about every purchase. "If I buy this will I have space to store it?" Which takes us back to the concept that many of us have way too many things in our lives. Small forces us to be neat and live within our means.

If your mortgage was 1/4 of what it is now, if your utility bill was equally tiny, and if you didn't buy a lot of junk because you had nowhere to put it, what would you do with all the extra money? Invest? Quit your crappy job and become an artist? Travel to a new country for your vacation each year?

Maybe not 96 square feet, but a smaller house is an attractive idea.

S~

Scifer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were toying with a similar concept at a German art/science expo I went to as a teenager. Seems like a great idea for student accommodation, where the authorities have to cram as many people into as little space as their budget dictates - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30oaInir18M

If you think about it, it also has the potential to be VERY secure. Perhaps all of your valuable items, computer and electrical equipment, etc, can be hidden away behind secret panels in the walls. Maybe they have to be opened in a specific way to avoid an alarm going off ... I think the microapartment is a great idea. Very Happy

Although, I wouldn't want to get drunk at a party in one. Fall asleep and get folded away inside one of the panels ... it could be days before they find you again. Shocked

Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=

------
Tiny houses in general are a very cool idea. They wouldn't work for a big family, but then if you've got enough kids the average sized US house of 2,500 square feet starts to look pretty tiny.

Part of the problem of having lots of space is that most people accumulate lots of junk to fill it up. Moving might be the perfect time to go through all your accumulated stuff and get rid of what you don't need, but that time is stressful enough, plus most people too busy to do anything but pack and load.

If your mortgage was 1/4 of what it is now, if your utility bill was equally tiny, and if you didn't buy a lot of junk because you had nowhere to put it, what would you do with all the extra money? Invest? Quit your crappy job and become an artist? Travel to a new country for your vacation each year?

S~[/quote]

Well...

I value my privacy and clutter more than anything else in the universe. No, I don't _need_ all my stuff. But I _want_ it, or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place, now would I?

I don't exactly live in a mansion now, and am considering downsizing a bit due to increasing age and decreasing willingness to perform yard maintenance and housekeeping. But...

... I absolutely _refuse_ to feel guilty for enjoying having lots of stuff and enough space to walk from room to room. Yes, it's costly in every possible way. But _nothing else_ that I could buy would do _remotely_ as much to make me happy as my suburban home has. Were that claustrophobic, overcrowded Hong Kong apartment building my future, I'd abandon all hope and hang myself tomorrow. Just the _idea_ of being so limited in how I can live and being so inescapably close to all those other people all the time makes me shudder.

I spent my early years in an apartment a bit bigger than that one. Even back then, the happiest day of my young life was when we got a house outside the city and I could finally _spread out_ a little and spend more time off by myself. At age eight, I was already thoroughly sick of thin walls, crowded alleys, heavy traffic, high crime rates, and no creeks to splash and play and catch tadpoles in.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit wrote:
I value my privacy and clutter more than anything else in the universe. No, I don't _need_ all my stuff. But I _want_ it, or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place, now would I?

I suspect that most people buy stuff because they can, not because they want it. Shopping is a form of entertainment.

Rabbit wrote:
I don't exactly live in a mansion now, and am considering downsizing a bit due to increasing age and decreasing willingness to perform yard maintenance and housekeeping. But...

Someone said that Jay Shafer, that fellow who started Tumbleweed Homes, makes a good spokesman for the tiny home movement because he's easy to understand. Rather than coming across as some environmental militant, he says stuff like, he hates vacuuming and dusting. It's a bit like downsizing a huge yard of sweeping bluegrass perfection, to a 1/6 of an acre of self-seeding wild flowers--except this is inside.

Rabbit wrote:
... I absolutely _refuse_ to feel guilty for enjoying having lots of stuff and enough space to walk from room to room. Yes, it's costly in every possible way. But _nothing else_ that I could buy would do _remotely_ as much to make me happy as my suburban home has.

Wow.

Rabbit wrote:
Were that claustrophobic, overcrowded Hong Kong apartment building my future, I'd abandon all hope and hang myself tomorrow. Just the _idea_ of being so limited in how I can live and being so inescapably close to all those other people all the time makes me shudder.

I agree. There are two factors that I find unpleasant about that scenario: 1) The sterile mechanical nature of that apartment. 2) The super crowded conditions of that neighborhood.

In that longish interview about her book, Shay Salomon said that New Yorkers use 1/5th to 1/8th (estimates vary) of the energy of the average American. Part of the reason is small apartments with common walls, so heating and cooling don't readily leak off to the outside world. And driving and parking at a such a premium that car ownership is impractical, so nearly everyone uses public transportation. One bright note, New Yorkers have Central Park.

I've never lived in a city like New York and I don't know if I'd want to try.

------
Our home in the Springs:

Upstairs my wife and I have 3 smallish bedrooms, 2 tiny baths, large kitchen, living, and dining rooms, and an entry area. One of those bedrooms was our daughter's, but is now used only to store her childhood stuff. Another bedroom is my wife's home office. We eat in the living room, so we don't use the dining room. The kitchen is poorly laid out and we only use about half the space as a kitchen, the rest is storage.

Downstairs is partly finished. The 2-car garage (under the living room) is 1 car plus junk. The front room is half library, with 18 linear feet of custom bookshelves 7 feet high, but we could use another 8 + linear feet of shelving for all the boxes of books stacked up, and the other half is storage including an old upright piano that we can't get to. The back room was supposed to be a workshop, but I've shoved that into the far half (now dead space) and made the near half my office, with yet more bookshelves as a divider. There's a utility room that's far bigger than necessary and is partly used for storage. And the stairwell/entry.

Outside we have a full 1/3 of an acre, but much of it is sloped clay soil. We've planted a few trees and a tiny vegetable garden.

Second home:

We also have property up in the mountains. 3.5 acres, mostly level and mostly wooded. There's a 24 x 24 one room cabin with a poor layout, tiny kitchen, and even worse bath. And a 25-foot long single-wide mobile home. They're connected by a deck. The mobile has half the space, but a far better layout. But mice get into it, the insulation is poor, and we've had continual battles with the itty-bitty furnace due to altitude. Also, the mobile is all plastic inside and IMO ugly.

If I had to do it over:

We'd need more than Jay Shafer's 96 square feet, but we wouldn't need as much space as we now have in the Springs. Most of the problem is accumulated stuff. I'm not the best for light living, but my wife comes from a family of pack rats. Fortunately, she's the best of the bunch. Example: She wanted a new cutting board and I told her if we buy one, we need to throw one away when we get home. She didn't, but I put the oldest and nastiest one in the trash the next day.

Years ago a buddy in Silicon Valley built a little backyard office. When he moved he had a heck of a time taking it with him. That's when I got the idea of break-down micro-rooms that come as 7 panels (2 for the roof) that you bolt together. Pre-finished, pre-wired, pre-carpeted, and ready to go. Set the floor panel on blocks and hook up the electric and phone. Then set the wall panels and bolt together. Set the cross-braces/light-fixtures. And finally set the roof panels and bolt them on. Two break-down rooms could be easily hauled on one small flatbed truck.

The nice thing about living in disconnected rooms is each can be the optimal size, and you get to enjoy nature while walking from room to room.

The bad thing about living in disconnected rooms is privacy, and it can get nasty in some climates.

Silicon Valley is workable, given a privacy fence and some nice trees and bushes, but it'd be pretty crazy for Colorado Springs. But Colorado is not impossible. One winter I had a job in Cripple Creek and stayed at the cabin. I slept in the cabin itself, but showered in the attached mobile. Every morning I'd grab my clothes, shoes, and keys, then scamper barefoot and half-naked the 20 feet across the deck to the mobile's door. It wasn't that bad even in snow.

The real problem would be the cost to individually heat each of your disconnected living spaces. It's far more efficient to put everything inside a single envelope.

So... what would my wife and I need (assuming we don't have all our extra stuff)? And assuming this is all laid out as separate rooms connected by the great outdoors.
  • A kitchen and simple dining area for 2 (breakfast and lunch).
  • A bedroom with a tiny closet and a tiny attached half-bath (toilet and sink).
  • Optional guest bedroom(s) similar to master bedroom.
  • A master bathing/dressing area with shower, soaker tub, vanity, dressing area, and closets.
  • A library, including a reading nook.
  • Personal office spaces?
  • A great room for watching TV, eating dinner, conversation, relaxing, etc. But might that be expanded just a touch to include personal office space? Or would that be too much togetherness for my wife and I.
  • A utility area for laundry.
Beyond the living space, I'd like my workshop back. And my wife has talked about having a hobby area of her own. Plus car storage.

Putting it all under a single envelope would simplify some of the baths, but would necessitate more space for hallways and the like. And would mean less outdoor living.

Well, this post is probably long enough.

S~

tijn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the 'cleanliness' of the movie is a setup. If you live there it doesn't like so after a month.

What interests me is that most people here seem to think living in such confined quarters so bad it's repulsive to them. I agree because I think that one can only live in such a small area if one isn't really acquinted with more spacious living.
You would be used to a different situation if living in a house sized like you have now would be ten times out of your league.
To put it differently: as long as you 'don't know better' you will accept a small place. But if you've tasted the (mental) freedom of living in the country-side and being able to step out of your place and see space and hear nature's default silence you will have a hard time going back to the city.

I think someone cannot revert to living in a small apartment in a big city, in blocks, after a lot of time in a sparsely build-up area. However, I put it to you:
if you would be 'locked' in a tiny room in a city (you could clutter it still Wink ), but would your mind be equally locked in?
(Rabbit, would you still be able to write and dream up your worlds?)

I don't think the man in the movie would've been so happy if he'd always lived in a nice house.
Syrius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While simple can be beautiful, I draw the line when the number of feet separating the toilet from the kitchen stays in the single digits. I've seen prison cells with more space than that.

You can have too much home space all right. And too little as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: