Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bits and Bobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking about a 32 bit address bus (as opposed to a data bus), I think it has to do with how many memory addresses a 32 bit wide address bus can talk to, Mike. 32 bits of address data yields 4.295 Gb (roughly) of "addressability," in other words the maximum amount of memory a 32 bit bus can work with. A 64 bit bus can theoretically work with ... well, a lot more than that (1.89 x 10^19 address bits).

My shot in the dark, based on the classes I took ... how many years ago? <reaches for the calculator again ...>

While we're beating on Windows 7, I've noticed that some drivers written for devices to be used with Windows XP don't work in Windows 7. The drivers for my EOS 20D camera and my Palm Z22 come to mind ...

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most well-written 32bit programs will run on 64bit versions of W7.
In theory, it's only 32bit drivers that won't work...

The most important question is really if the PC supports 64bit or not.
(I think MS has a tool to test it, but can't be bothered to find out)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is these very reasons that I 'upgraded' my laptop from Vista Premium to XP Pro. By the way, the average user has no need for 64 bit processing and such a fat buss pipe. 32 bit is still more than adequate for the Joe Average User that wants to surf the net and send email.

Oh, SC, I'm not referring to Joe Latrans, either.

And you can be sure that I will stick with my Office 2003 until I have severe compatibility problems with whatever new file format M$ comes up with to sell you a new office suite.

Kellan

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, Kel. "Average" describes Joe quite well.

I agree with your assertion, Anthony, the caveat being "well written." I'd guess that roughly 20% of the software I work with falls into the category of "well written." The rest of it I put up with because some work-related application or policy requires it.

I don't honestly know whether any of my PCs are 64 bit products. I had thought that most post-Pentium Wintel processors were 64 bit devices, but never really bothered to look into the system board capabilities for them, to be honest. That little tool would come in handy only if I had more than one Vista machine to worry about. As everything on my home network runs some variant of XP (with all applicable service packs installed) except the new HP dv6 laptop The Fox has, again my interest level is somewhat ... small.

I should tinker with the 32 / 64 bit settings on that new dv6 and see what happens, not only with the machine but also with the drivers for my Canon camera.

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

SC

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A popular misconception is that a 32bit OS can't access more than 3.5 or 4G of memory. This is an artificial limit that M$ has imposed. The 32bit of Windows 2003 Datacenter edition can access 128GB of memory.

Little known fact. Windows XP before SP1 could access > 4G memory with the /PAE boot option. Microsoft fixed that "bug" so they could charge more for it later.

Cheers!

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:

I don't honestly know whether any of my PCs are 64 bit products. I had thought that most post-Pentium Wintel processors were 64 bit devices, but never really bothered to look into the system board capabilities for them, to be honest.

Well, my(OK, it belongs to the office) HP nc2400 13" laptop has an 'Intel Core Duo U2500' CPU, running at 1.2GHz, and it definitely isn't capable of running 64bit Windows...
(I originally got it to experimant with Vista... But I did a reformat as soon as it was clear we'd be skipping that blight... )
Maybe it's time to replace it with one of the shiny(brushed steel plates. HP can't afford milled aluminium bodies) new HP EliteBooks 2530 machines.
(Apple is unfortunately not on the 'approved HW list'... )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HP DV7 is quite happy running Ubuntu Linux 9.10, full 64 bit. One of the reasons I bought this model.

I do have issues with a few things that are heavily Windoze biased, like Flash. Perhaps a third of the Flash I objects I click (I have a filter that prevents them from autoloading) work properly, about half that many will run with glitches (links don't work, sound stops after some seconds, etc.), The rest don't run at all, I just get a blank screen. Those problems I wouldn't mind working out.

Just FYI, my browser is Firefox 3.5.7. No, I won't turn my filter off, there's too much malware is buried in Flash presentations.

I probably need some m$ .dll files or some such, and then I need to get them properly associated. Wonder why all these Linux developers can't figure that out.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
South_Munjoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
.....I probably need some m$ .dll files or some such, and then I need to get them properly associated. Wonder why all these Linux developers can't figure that out.

Guaranteed they'll be sorting that out before they start trying to sort out advanced power management and hibernation for Laptops. Rolling Eyes
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
(OK, it belongs to the office)Core Duo U2500' CPU, running at 1.2GHz

Cheap Scape Office. Rofl.

I can't run anything on my 9-Year old Dell Dimension 3000. With it's 1.28 GB of DDR1 RAM, IDE HDD's, and ONBOARD Video o.O with a 9 year old motherboard. I will admit though, my Pentium 4 runs things fairly well at 2.8 ghz, and I can play most games up until they require 1.1 Shading from the video processor.

HOWEVER, and I apologize for jumping off topic there for a moment, I have run Windows 7, 32 bit on my other rig. I switched back to XP because 32 bit 7 simply acted horribly on it. But then, coming from a hardcore user, 64 bit is almost a necessity for the amount that I run at one time.

The rig I'm using currently can handle about 5 tabs on firefox and AIM or MSN but not both. I find this to be horribly annoying. But I've had no problems finding working versions of all my necessary programs on my grandmother's Windows 7 run HP. And it runs a bit smoother and MUCH faster. So I really don't know where the 32/64 bit makes a difference aside from the performance of the machine.

Does it really cause that much of a problem with programs?

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapscate?

Do you have any idea what these things cost when they were new?
(Same weight as a 9" netbook, but 6Hour battery life, DVD-player, 13" LCD, fast HDD, loads of RAM. It wasn't at the top of the line when it came out, it WAS the top of the line.)

Or the EliteBook 2530 I want to replace it with?

These are not 'consumer' notebooks...

Like my Avatar?
Hawke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know...I like windows 7, I have never had a problem with it, runs great considering my PC was built from the cheapest new Hardware available. Pretty much any processor AMD can be x86 and x64 compliant. Never have problems with software either.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Leonato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
My HP DV7 is quite happy running Ubuntu Linux 9.10, full 64 bit. One of the reasons I bought this model.

I do have issues with a few things that are heavily Windoze biased, like Flash. Perhaps a third of the Flash I objects I click (I have a filter that prevents them from autoloading) work properly, about half that many will run with glitches (links don't work, sound stops after some seconds, etc.), The rest don't run at all, I just get a blank screen. Those problems I wouldn't mind working out.

Just FYI, my browser is Firefox 3.5.7. No, I won't turn my filter off, there's too much malware is buried in Flash presentations.

I probably need some m$ .dll files or some such, and then I need to get them properly associated. Wonder why all these Linux developers can't figure that out.

I had much the same problem, and IronTiger actually showed me how he worked around it... the problem is the fact that Ubuntu, rightly so, only installs the open-source reverse-engineered stuff by default. Unfortunately the reverse engineered driver is not perfect yet... there is just too much crap inside of what is called 'flash' that is closed source and always changing.
You just need to put into place the 'flashplugin-nonfree' package, and make sure you have removed any of the 'libswf' packages.
You can get a handy list of these packages by searching for 'flash' in synaptic.
Hope that helps =^.^=
I dont have 100% working flash either, but my percentage is more like 80% or better, and yes, I have the same filter, noscript, that allows me to block flash and any other website script by default, and allow them individually if I wish. And FF 3.5.7 is the best yet! =^.^=

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

tobi3B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUawhjxLS2I&feature=related

Office the movie Very Happy

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: