Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sabrinas dead, noooooooo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: One more added to the *sniffle* list Reply with quote

pung2 wrote:
I wanted to share a story that had just recently
happened to me. We were in the field for three weeks and I had
borrowed a friends PDA and uploaded all the Sabrinaverse stories I
could find (ZigZag Noir, Tabitha, etc...) so I could have something
to read while I was sitting around freazing my @ss off. Well I had
finally read Tabitha the story (if you dont know or havent read any
of these then what the HELL are you waiting for?) My friend was
sitting with me in our shelter also reading a book, when I had
reached Chapter 6 and started wiping my eyes. Now I have been in the
army for about ten years, eight of those were Infantry, I've been
deployed to Bosnia, Egypt, Kuwait, Afganistan, and Africa. I pride
myself on being a somewhat ahem...macho kind of guy, however, this
story had me in TEARS!!! Well needless to say my friend appreciated
the irony, I just thought I would share that with y'all.

Wow ... just, wow.

I never know quite what to say to a testimonial like that ... thank you, certainly. The thought that Tabitha and all of these other works found their way into the hands of military men who not only appreciate them but are moved in the way that you were ... as I said, I don't know what to say. I've literally sat in front of my monitor for several minutes trying to piece together this much. I thank you, I know James thanks you. And I can't help but wonder and have to ask if you knew another Army man with the American Forces Radio and Television Network recently lost to us, Sergeant David "TV Dave" Neff. He was quite a fan from the US Army as well; in fact, he wrote a companion piece that picks up after Chapter 6 that someone (I don't remember who) was editing and that will be posted to Foxx Den as soon as I get my paws on it.

And thank you for your service.

All the best, and as I used to tell TV Dave, "Keep your head down!" Smile
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mapper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Chris they found their way into the hands of the military. There are others such as me and Jbird. And it has made us have to turn from lookin our troops in the eye. For This old Gruff Tsgt can't show that he is human except in rare curcumstances where the troop needs it. Oh when i first read it, it hurt and big time. Just goes to show we are human even if we don't show it.
Is that the scene where he places the note on the headstone? if so another sniffle moment.

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Leonato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Infamy? Reply with quote

When is it that chapter 6 will pass into the realm of infamy? As more and more people read the story, more and more people are bomb-shelled by that chapter... I was one of them. It bears an important message, but a very painfull one... and for me atleast... the chapter is already infamous.

Note: Sabrina chapter 28 is also due for induction into the halls of infamy!

Leonato

SkunkFox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://veepers02.budweiser.com/service/RetrieveCard?id=503E7E4E-5D4A-11D8-BD2F-B3EE4054966E. Even Tabby can't believe it still. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkunkFox wrote:
http://veepers02.budweiser.com/service/RetrieveCard?id=503E7E4E-5D4A-11D8-BD2F-B3EE4054966E. Even Tabby can't believe it still. :p

That was so touched, man Very Happy

Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapper wrote:
Yep Chris they found their way into the hands of the military. There are others such as me and Jbird. And it has made us have to turn from lookin our troops in the eye. For This old Gruff Tsgt can't show that he is human except in rare curcumstances where the troop needs it. Oh when i first read it, it hurt and big time. Just goes to show we are human even if we don't show it.

I have a heluva lot of respect for our miltary, and I can't help but feel a swell of honor. And my thanks to you all for your service.

Quote:
Is that the scene where he places the note on the headstone? if so another sniffle moment.

Ay-yup!

I got the go-ahead from Josh to put that on Foxx Den. I really really need to do that.

Chris
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Infamy? Reply with quote

Leonato wrote:
When is it that chapter 6 will pass into the realm of infamy?

:Very Happy: I thought it already had Wink

Quote:
As more and more people read the story, more and more people are bomb-shelled by that chapter... I was one of them. It bears an important message, but a very painfull one... and for me atleast... the chapter is already infamous.

That was one emotional chapter to write.

And thank you.

When I'd sent it to James originally, I only said in the email something like, "Here's Chapter 6, prepare yourself." He'd read it and sent me back a 2-word reply: "You bastard".

Quote:
Note: Sabrina chapter 28 is also due for induction into the halls of infamy!

I'd like to thank the Academy ... Smile

(Not the Academy from Trouble's Tales ... mind you, though .... Wink)

I can't for the life of me remember who it was I sat across from at the TV Dave Memorial Dinner, but you should've seen his eyes grow to the size of dinner plates when I'd told him Chapter 28 was the original end to The Story Smile

Chris
Mapper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris its people like yourself that make it an honor to serve. Very Happy

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading chapter 6 of Tabitha and Cirrel's "Time Enough For Love", I am of multiple minds. On the one hand, I want to praise both Chris and Cirrel for writing such moving, devastatingly emotional stories. On the other hand, I want to pound them both for making me do the one thing I hate to do the most; which is cry. And on the third hand, I want to suddenly discover I have mad 1337 w1nd n1nja skeelz, so I can sneak into Doubleday/Random House/(insert other huge publisher here), and get them both lifetime contracts that put Rowling's to shame.

All joking aside, I am rarely emotional. I tend to be the "rock" that everyone else leans on in times of trouble; it's how I was raised. No real displays of emotion in public, no one sees you cry, get happy, etc. The "Old-School Man".

I had seen Cirrel's artwork while reading ZZtS and SOtS, and on Mike's suggestion I had dropped by the Bookshelf. Kinda browsed for a while, then saw Cirrel's name by a story. Without reading the description, I clicked my way in, wanting to see if he wrote as well as he drew. By the time I reached that picture, I was hurting bad; lump in the throat, eyes wet, etc.. When I saw the picture, I broke down completely, and cried for about ten minutes. After that, I continued on, only to break down again when I read the last few lines and fully realized that it was Sabrina that had died. The "Kitten" nickname, the glasses on the dash, and the makeup of her arriving family had hinted, but I couldn't bring myself to believe that Cirrel could do this, WOULD do this, or that Eric would EVER allow it. Then I saw her name in black and white, irrefutable and irrevocable, and it hit me like a sledgehammer fired from a Howitzer. After I had cried myself out again, I went back and read the story description, and decided I would start on the Tabitha series.

When I reached Chapter 6, I hardened myself, and swore I wouln't cry this time. I already knew what was coming, so I thought it wouldn't hurt as bad. I figured I could finish it without a tear; maybe without even a lump in the throat.

I was wrong. I cried just as much, even knowing it was coming, even knowing that Tabby was working on a way to change it. It still hurt a lot.

Kinda funny, in a way; I've cried more over Cirrel's story and Chapter 6 of Tabitha than I have since my grandmother's funeral, almost a decade ago. Even 9/11 didn't make me cry; I just felt kinda numb for a month, then I got back to "normal". Maybe because I didn't know anyone in New York; maybe because it was a deliberate attack. A simple accident hurts more than a deliberate act, because an accident can't be avenged, only mourned. And it's always more painful when it's someone we "know".

So many of us here have become very attached to these fictional characters; enough so that their loss hurts as much as losing someone "real". It takes more than a great writer to do this; it takes a truly great author. I've found several truly great authors here, and I hope you continue to make us all smile, cry, laugh, hurt, and feel as long as it brings you enjoyment.

To the authors who have brought true tears to the eye of this cynical, bitter, hardened old rat for the first time in a long time, my thanks for putting yourself through the pain first, and sharing the hurt with us.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go tell someone I love her. Just in case.
sniktch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...That was me. *Bleep*ing computers....
sniktch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both "The Final Farewell" and "Sisters Still", but they didn't make me cry like a busted water main. They were both excellent stories, but neither held the same wrecking-ball impact. "Farewell" was more a healing story; letting us know that the ones we love still watch over us after they're gone from our sight and that we WILL see them again. I admit I "misted" a little when Chris left his gifts for Sabrina, but not the full "Niagra Falls" collapse. "Sisters Still" was another touching story, but again not the same. Perhaps the difference was that in both stories, Sabrina is already "gone"; in Tabitha chapter 6 and Cirrel's story, we have to SEE her leave.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sniktch wrote:
I read both "The Final Farewell" and "Sisters Still", but they didn't make me cry like a busted water main. They were both excellent stories, but neither held the same wrecking-ball impact. "Farewell" was more a healing story; letting us know that the ones we love still watch over us after they're gone from our sight and that we WILL see them again. I admit I "misted" a little when Chris left his gifts for Sabrina, but not the full "Niagra Falls" collapse. "Sisters Still" was another touching story, but again not the same. Perhaps the difference was that in both stories, Sabrina is already "gone"; in Tabitha chapter 6 and Cirrel's story, we have to SEE her leave.

"Farewell to a Friend" won't have that intense effect either. It seems to be something of an emotional calm within the storms; not that this was deliberate on my part, it's just the way it's turning out. I don't know that I can compete with the original chapter or with any of the other stories, but then I'm not trying to, I'm trying to tell a particular side of the story that's not been told elsewhere and I think it proves illuminating in its own way (there has been some crossfeed between it and the outlining of some parts of "From The Wings").

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be waiting to read it...
Secondly, I would like to add to the mix, but would not know where to begin, or of how everyone puts their characters into play in this series; at least not without some further study. If anything, I would like to keep it true to the shared point of view everyone has.

In short- the story would be simple. Having it mesh completely and smoothly with others- thats the problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Hortmage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sniktch wrote:
I read both "The Final Farewell" and "Sisters Still", but they didn't make me cry like a busted water main.

Then you're made of sterner stuff than me, Sniktch.

TVDave had asked me to begin editing the story several months before he passed away. It took me over a year to do my share of the editing, because of the emotions it evoked in me. Cirrel's story also had me beyond "misty".

Another story that I only recently re-found (and that had me balling like a baby) is Allen Kitchen's "When You Return." Has nothing to do with the Sabrinaverse stories, but the last several paragraphs are very, very powerful. While I strongly recommend all* of Allen Kitchen's Science Fiction and Furry Fantasy Stories, if you need to get yourself good and depressed, read "When You Return."

*Note: A couple of his stories are no meant for young kits and cubs; they are clearly marked as "Adults Only."

Leonato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hortmage wrote:
Another story that I only recently re-found (and that had me balling like a baby) is Allen Kitchen's "When You Return." Has nothing to do with the Sabrinaverse stories, but the last several paragraphs are very, very powerful.

I gave it a read... and damn... yes, you are acurate, its very powerfull and touching. Though, IMHO... nothing will ever come close to the impact that Tabitha the story, Time Enough for Love, and Final Farewell have had on me.... absolutely nothing. Final Farewell alone was enough to render me mute for a week, only speaking when spoken to, or to answer a direct question... I was afraid my mind would never be liberated from those flashbacks, and nightmares of loosing a close loved one. But that was simply because I had a lot of undealtwith crap that all came out as a result of 'Final Farewell'... I am much better today for the existance of that story. And I can see how 'When You Return' could have a similar effect for -some people-. I just dont happen to be one of em, yea, it certainly had me misty-eyed, and sniffleing a bit, but I wasnt a busted watermain like I was when I read Final Farewell aloud (and had to re-record it because you couldent understand what I was saying). Anyways, thanks for posting it!

Leonato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: