Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different animal species' heads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Drawing Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Different animal species' heads Reply with quote

Greetings to you, masters of the drawing art,

I, your humble acolyte, have the audacity to ask for your advice.

I'd like to have some (preferably A LOT of) pointers as to what facial features make a face look like a certain species. I don't seem to be able to figure it out myself for almost all my sketches tend to look like felines.

The species that for which I need advice most urgently are bunnies, foxes and golden retrievers. Mouse would also be appreciated very much.

If possible, give the advice thrice: once in front view, once in 3/4, and once in side (profile) view.

I remain ever faithful,

your humble servant Stacey 'Fluffybun' (or her player rather)

PS: There is another issue (or rather two) I'm having difficulties with, but I'm not sure if that's safe to post here.

PPS: The reauest is genuine, the abasement is NOT.

Current GB rating: 3750 GP (Silver Axe)
Current Guild Rating: 10/20

Beware... My battlecry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Smoky Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is go online and look at pictures of the heads of real ones. No matter what animal you are trying to morph, you'll always do a better job if use real ones as reference.

There are three main differences between the heads of real life animals and furry morphed animals:
1.) Furry morphs have larger brains and craniums, so the nose/muzzle needs to be positioned slightly lower to allow for this. This also allows for a more expressive face. The eyes are also generally more forward-facing, rather than on the side.
2.) The ears of a furry are slightly lower and smaller than those of a real animal, again allowing for the larger brain. If you add hair (on the top of the head), don't forget that the ears will more than likely stick through.
3.) Don't forget that if you want your furry to walk upright, his or her neck will meet the skull at the bottom of the skull rather than the back, and will stick out vertically rather than horizontally. It's not a difficult thing to change, but if you forget about it, everything looks wrong.

I'm not super experienced with drawing furries myself, so other people around here may have better tips.

Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollyann has some good tutrials on her site

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollyann? Can you post the address here?

Beware... My battlecry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... I've been trying to follow Smoky Joe's suggestion, and it still looks like a byproduct of digestion to me. Any other advice?

Beware... My battlecry
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Pat, thanks for taking out the time to give some advice... and... naw forget it... it would be beneath my dignity...

*pads away, ears drooping*

Beware... My battlecry
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apoligies, I never saw the post here, here http://www.ki-tera.com/hollyann/howtodraw.htm download the model.zip and look through, it's how I got started drawing fox heads.

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Drawing Corner All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: