Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warcraft 3 modding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admford

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Warcraft 3 modding Reply with quote

Well I just found out that Blizzard has released a series of plugins for 3D Studio Max that would allow users to modify the models, animations, and special effects in Warcraft 3.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_4053.shtml

Who knows, maybe a Furry Warcraft Mod will be made? Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Warcraft 3 modding Reply with quote

admford wrote:
Who knows, maybe a Furry Warcraft Mod will be made? Smile

Hmmm... that would finally be a reason get Warcraft.

Sponge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*is tempted to mod up the forces of Chaos*
But when people run in circles it's a very very...

Mad world.
Lazerus101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20ft tall rampaging vixens... hmmmm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
admford

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be interesting Laz, but what about changing the "heroes" that are in the game (sorry dunno if there are any principal characters like heros, don't have WCIII) using PlanetFurry members, or popular comic characters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smoky Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I imagine it would take quite a lot of work to do even one map with all custom furry archetypes, much less any sort of extended campaign. There would probably need to be a small team of people working on the models, at least one of whom is really good at manipulating those "triggers" in order to make a decent, challenging campaign. And naturally, someone would need to work on a story.

I myself have actually been working on my own campaign, making the ice trolls into a viable, independent race (workers, buildings, etc.), without the use of custom graphics, just custom statistics. Heros are really not that much different to customize than any other character type, you just have to remember not to make them too powerful at level one so that they have room to grow as they advance levels. There's really no reason why using different models would have anything to do with how the levels and races are actually programmed.

Come to think of it, there are already a bunch of anthropomorphic races in Warcraft III: Centaurs, Quillboars & Razormanes (hog morphs), Furbolgs (bear morphs), Murlocs (fish morphs), Kobolds (rodent morphs), Satyrs (elf-goat morphs), Gnolls (dog morphs), Wendigos (yeti), and the Tauren (minotaurs). And those are just WC3, not Frozen Throne expansion. They added a bunch more for that.
And I'm sure there's some I missed.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give me sone decent background info and perhaps a starting idea I might be able to write the story for it.

Otherwise I'd be totally useless for this project.

RefaelBA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoky Joe, I'm here for you. I can get you sounds, score some tunes and edit stuff (like maps). Sound's my best theme. And I am also great at developing plots for games, as I did it a couple of times on several occasions... ;D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very generous of you, Refael. Are you volunteering your services for the furry mod, or the troll one? I've actually got some character classes and stats already established for the furry mod, but I don't have a complete race established yet. The characters don't have custom graphics yet because, I don't actually have any good way of making custom graphics. They've currently got placeholder grapics, mostly elven stuff. I haven't actually got stories or good maps or anything yet, just the character classes and some basic ideas.

As far as my ice troll one goes, I decided to change it to what I'm calling the "northern dwarves". Remember that in WC2 the gryphon riders were drafted from the farthest north reaches of Quel'Thalas, and considered themselves allies of the elves alone? My story is basically going that after the Quel'Thalas elves were defeated by the Scourge, the Northern Dwarves felt no inclination to stay with the Alliance, and decided to return to their homelands. The Scourge left the northern homelands alone because Arthas didn't feel that the extremely small population still there was worth the trouble. But lots of nasty critters had taken refuge there to get away from the Scourge.
I've got the race established, including a "King of the North" hero class, which is essentially a Gryphon Rider with Mountain King attributes. I'm making the race's society to be similar to that of the Inuit, whom I have done a bit of research on. No custom graphics, but by grabbing and resizing/rotating/modifying the colors of the existing graphics for various things, it doesn't really look that bad.

RefaelBA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll be glad to help as much as I can. Nice storyline you got there, although I'm not very fond of the WC II plot... I was rather yound back then... younger than now anyway Very Happy And can't remember much but the game itself.

If this is your first modding project, here's a little advice:
Simply take it to a point where you find that your mod is answering all your needs, and don't push it too hard. If you find it fun to play and that it is pretty close to what you've wanted, then know it is getting close to done. Remember that later on you'll be able to release paches and such, and updates.
CS began this way, with only two maps, and two pistols for every side to choose from... Look where they are today, after 10 updates or so. Wink
The idea within all these crazy advices is that if this is your first mod, you should use it to practice. A lot. Your next one will be 10 times better. The one after that would be excelent, and the one after that - godlike Wink
You'll learn to use some textures editors and model better. And make maps with more strategic potential...

Anyway, I never modded anything for WC... I created some games, and modded HL and CS and such. I can also handle Quake 3 and such.
If you need my help, I'll be glad to. I'll just learn a little and give my best to it. And remember - sound's my best, so if you need a score, effect or remix - lemme know. My ICQ is right under this text Very Happy

Ok, I guess this wasn't a LITTLE advice... Hope it helps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> CG Furry Art All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: