Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the Depths...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 10:18 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Well, fellow furs, here I am.

I've been sitting back, watching the responses to my story trickle in, and while I love the responses that I *do* get, I would like to know more about what you fellow furs like and don't like about the story, and any speculation you wanna throw in the mix. (Yes, I'm being like Rava and Nahima- don't just say "I like it"-- tell me what you like and don't like!!) And, just so you know, info about Khan's past will be revealed in less than 4 wks from today!! So post often, and stay tuned!!

-Shirh Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Agreed. Although, more than that, I like the fact that we don't recieve the character's complete biography upon first meeting said character. Exempli grati, Doctor Elijah's newly revealed passion for his Cobra - by revealing such information in a natural way, the character grows in the reader's subconcious. It makes the character seem more alive, more well-rounded than if we had been given that information upon first meeting him. Likewise, this new character Bouncer. All we know about her at the moment is that she's female, holds a job, has someone she's very serious about, and she's likely to be dead before New Year's Eve. Already, she's got my attention. (And Elijah's, I suspect. As a would-be patient and friend, I mean - I don't suspect him of anything romantic in this instance.) But, if Shirh Khan chooses to develop her as a character (which I strongly encourage him to do - hint, hint!) those two weeks to two months of story time could become heart-wrenching, poiniant, and altogether memorable - and Bouncer could become one of the Great Tragic Characters of Literature. Already, I dread what her death will do to me should Shirh Khan choose this path... and still I won't turn away. Bouncer is facing her fate with quiet determination and courage; can I do less?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 11:44 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

And now, everyone who reads this thread knows the true secret to fascinating me with a story - CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! Not that I've made any secret of it; I've openly posted that fact on about eight forums in the past three months. But I'm stating it again: the feature that distiguishes good or great fiction, which I will read over and over again, and some sophomoric or juvenile bit of fluff which I will read once IF EVER, is the inclusion of vibrant, passionate, and sympathetic (as in INDUCING sympathy, as opposed to displaying it) characters. Give me characters I have no choice but to believe in - even if I hate those characters - and I will read though the story tears me to shreds. Shovel some pile of pablum, larded with cardboard charicatures of people who in real life aren't particularly believable, and I won't be able to finish it though you offer me the riches of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 2:04 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Galadrion:
Agreed. Although, more than that, I like the fact that we don't recieve the character's complete biography upon first meeting said character....by revealing such information in a natural way, the character grows in the reader's subconcious. It makes the character seem more alive, more well-rounded than if we had been given that information upon first meeting him. Likewise, this new character Bouncer. All we know about her at the moment is that she's female, holds a job, has someone she's very serious about, and she's likely to be dead before New Year's Eve. Already, she's got my attention....if Shirh Khan chooses to develop her as a character (which I strongly encourage him to do - hint, hint!) those two weeks to two months of story time could become heart-wrenching, poiniant, and altogether memorable....Already, I dread what her death will do to me should Shirh Khan choose this path... and still I won't turn away. Bouncer is facing her fate with quiet determination and courage; can I do less?

*grin* Thank you, Galadrion, for such an eloquent statement. *grin* You'll see more of "Bouncer" as it were, and sooner than you think. But, you may be onto an idea there, about her life/fate becoming entwined w/ Khan's for the time she has left. I'll have to think on that some....

-Shirh Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 10:59 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

As I said before, Serr Tiger, I strongly advise AGAINST a romantic involvement between Bouncer and Doctor Elijah. For one thing, it wouldn't ring true with his current history. Despite his loss, he is still very much committed to his wife and his daughter, and he MUST deal with those issues before taking up another torch. Although I DO suspect that she will get his story from him, and help bring him to terms with his past.

As a second point, even were he not committed at this juncture, his pain is still too raw for him to take up a doomed love match with a dying lady. As a doctor, he KNOWS what her diagnosis means; he is also well aware that losing another love while he is still in the throes of anguish could well destroy him. Were he capable of even subconcious suicide, he would have never survived that night on the highway. Even the best medical treatment in the world cannot revive the will to live once it has irrevocably died - Doctor Khan would simply have never recovered.

It just occured to how incredibly arrogant my post here must seem - me presuming to argue character points with you, the author. Nonetheless, I ask that you view it instead as the compliment it is intended to be. You have created characters that I feel I know as people. This is a task many professional authors cannot fulfill - you, sir, are a superb writer.

(Excuse, please - editing for spelling and grammatic errors. ARGH!)

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Galadrion ]
Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:44 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Thank you for the understanding attitude, my friend. I've been taken to task over my mannerisms in the past, so I now try to be more careful. Nonetheless, it gets away from me on occasion. It's nice to know you have no intention of blasting me for my slippages.
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:46 am    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
As I said before, Serr Tiger, I strongly advise AGAINST a romantic involvement between Bouncer and Doctor Elijah...Despite his loss, he is still very much committed to his wife and his daughter, and he MUST deal with those issues before taking up another torch...his pain is still too raw for him to take up a doomed love match with a dying lady. As a doctor, he KNOWS what her diagnosis means...

...You have created characters that I feel I know as people. This is a task many professional authors cannot fulfill - you, sir, are a superb writer.
[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Galadrion ]

Thank you for your praise. I love hearing it, even though I'm a lil embarrassed by it, too. I'm glad that you are pleased with the story.

I will burst one bubble for ya-- Khan will not be getting involved w/ Bouncer. Yes, she's in a relationship, and even if Khan thought of her in that way, he wouldn't upset someone else's happiness for the sake of his own. And furthermore, Khan's "attraction" for her-- if it is there-- exists from a more (dare I say) "human" point of view than a romantic one. He cares, because it is who he is (no matter how much he tries to repress his feelings).

And as far as "subconscious suicide"-- be on the lookout for chapters i and ii-- you'll be a lil surprised, I think.

And there is no arrogance in you over this, Galadrion- just be who you are. I like what you have to say, so keep saying it.

-Shirh Khan
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 5:47 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
Thank you for the understanding attitude, my friend. I've been taken to task over my mannerisms in the past, so I now try to be more careful. Nonetheless, it gets away from me on occasion. It's nice to know you have no intention of blasting me for my slippages.

I've no intention of lambasting you. No need. Just keep reading the story, keep speculating, and keep letting me know what you think.

Just so you know, and for general info, I plan to post the next few story pieces as such:

Chapter 9 Oct. 12/2001
Chapter 10 Oct. 26/2001
Chapter i Nov. 02/2001
Chapter 11 Nov. 09/2001
Chapter ii Nov. 16/2001
Chapter 12 Nov. 23/2001

About half of this is already done, and in the hands of my editors/pre-readers, or going through my final look-see before I send it to them. Keep an eye out for it!

-Shirh Khan
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

Let me take just a moment, and give permanent and ceaseless thanks to my editors/pre-readers, Mike & Evan (and their significant others). They help keep me on track, and help me keep the story in the vein I want it in. Thank you, fellow furs.

-Shirh Khan
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shirh Khan:
Just.....for general info, I plan to post the next few story pieces as such:

Chapter 9 Oct. 12/2001
Chapter 10 Oct. 26/2001
Chapter i Nov. 02/2001
.....etc......

-Shirh Khan

A little change: I'll be posting in the following order:

Chapter 9 has been posted, and Chapters 10 and i will be posted as noted above. Here are the changes...

Chapter- Interlude Nov. 9/2001
Chapter ii Nov. 16/2001
Chapter 11 Nov. 23/2001
Chapter 12 Dec. 14/2001

Chapter 13 will more than likely be posted after the first of the year, as I plan to be away the entire week of Christmas. Also, I'm going to be making minor changes and updates to the website-- putting up a "FanMail" page, putting new characters in the Biographies section, and other things of that sort. Just thought I'd let all of you faithfully reading furs know.

-Shirh Khan
Kelly McAllen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:01 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

I have just finished reading From the Depths, and I have to say thank you Shirh Khan for letting me know about the little gem you have here. It is really an entertaning story. Now I'm on the edge of my seat for the next chapter. Till then thanks for the invite.

P.S. Should you be looking for any character to become interested in a certen femme wolf, lab tec, let me know.
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:56 am    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly McAllen:
I have just finished reading From the Depths, and I have to say thank you Shirh Khan for letting me know about the little gem you have here. It is really an entertaning story. Now I'm on the edge of my seat for the next chapter. Till then thanks for the invite.

P.S. Should you be looking for any character to become interested in a certen femme wolf, lab tec, let me know.

Maybe, Kelly... maybe; I have had an offer already, but that doesn't mean that she can't have two furs interested in her. Let me know what you have in mind....

And, again another change in chapter postings:
I didn't realize that it would be a 3 week gap between 11/23 and 12/14- I thought it was two weeks. That being said, then, the schedule will go like this:

Chapter i -- Tomorrow
Chapter "Interlude" -- Nov. 09/2001
Chapter ii -- Nov. 16/2001
Chapter 11 -- Nov. 23/2001
Chapter 12 -- Dec. 07/2001
Chapter 13 -- Dec. 21/2001

That would place Chapter 14 as the one that would arrive after the first of the year. So, there you have it.

If there are any other changes in the schedule of postings, look here to find them.

-Shirh Khan

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Shirh Khan ]

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Shirh Khan ]
Metal-Head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 6:55 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

WHOAH! If you haven't read this story yet, READ IT! Into the depths i was one of the most emotionally stimulating chapters of any furry story I've read so far. I about put my fist through the monitor reading it. Damn good job Shirh Khan! Keep it up!
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 7:29 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Metal-Head:
WHOAH! If you haven't read this story yet, READ IT! Into the depths i was one of the most emotionally stimulating chapters of any furry story I've read so far. I about put my fist through the monitor reading it. Damn good job Shirh Khan! Keep it up!

I'll second that, strongly and without any hesitation. It has been some time since I read something THAT emotional... I was quite stunned. Great work, Shirh.

All the Best
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 9:16 pm    Post subject: From the Depths... Reply with quote

I'll agreee with M-H and Tygon, very good writing that gives us a look into why Khan is the way he is.

Note to the rest: if you think this is intense, wait until you see what he does in "Interlude" - he's a master at writing that engages the emotions.

Cateagle

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Cateagle ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> shirh khan All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 1 of 45

Jump to: