Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notes from The Range 2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Notes from The Range 2021 Reply with quote

It's been over a year since I last submitted anything to my blog. I guess it's time for an update. Check it out at The Range, and if you so desire to comment about any of it, I'd love to hear from you.

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read your post, some comments;

This whole Covid-19 thing is enough to make the old Warhorse go insane. My wife, both daughters, both grandsons, my son-in-law and my oldest grandson's girlfriend have all got their vaccinations. A family friend that lives in my oldest daughter's household has his vaccination. All good.

However, there's a friend of my oldest grandson that lives that their place that's not vaccinated, doesn't wear a mask and goes wherever he wants to, no regard for anyone around him. I want to punch the little shit.

So, my (now late) brother-in-law went from Chowchilla, CA to live with his younger brother in Florida. Well, his brother said he was sick before my BIL flew down there, died from Covid less than two days after my BIL got there.

BIL didn't know what to do at that point, was staying at his brother's apartment and under unknown circumstances ended up in the hospital due to missing dialysis too many days. He just passed away a few weeks ago.

Other things-

I can feel for wanting to improve a vehicle's suspension. The Great White Buffalo has that infamous Ford Twin Traction Beam front suspension. I call it Twin Torture Beam. A company makes a conversion from leafs to coil spring with a long trailing arm. I'm saving my nickels and dimes since the conversion is close to $3,000 USD. All bolt in, have to drill something like four holes. They convert the beams and they will even put tabs for the sway bar on it. The kit comes from Solo Motorsports.

Anyway, enough for now,

Kel

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kel, great to hear from you. It has been way too long, 'mano.

I'm becoming surprised when I meet someone who hasn't lost a family member, a coworker, a friend, or an acquaintance to COVID. And I marvel at the various factions and their views on masks, social distancing, vaccinations, origin conspiracies, and /or debate the fact that COVID even exists. Everyone has their opinions, I have my own, and I respect others their right to theirs. I don't preach, and I don't judge. Still ...

I don't know if I shared it with you, it was from a rather dark part of my life, but my younger son had something going on in his body that presented simultaneously as high blood pressure, shingles, and kidney failure. He never got so bad that he needed to go on dialysis, but the discussion was definitely on the table for a while. After the dust settled (it took a year, and he got married right in the middle of it), he has fully regained his health ... except he now has about 52% of his kidney function. Youth, informed decision-making, proper diet, and faith seem to propel him. He's in fine health now.

I'm sorry for your loss of your brother-in-law. Loss is a part of life, but it's never easy.

So the GWB is going to get some new suspenders, huh? $3k doesn't sound unreasonable for a one-ton rated vehicle. I'm not clear though ... when you say they "convert" the I-beams, does that mean you have to remove the ones the GWB currently has and send them off for conversion, or does it mean the kit includes converted I-beams? And will you have to get the front end realigned after the work is done?

Thanks for dropping by my site, Kel. I used to get reports on how many times a day or week someone visits that site. I stopped looking at them when the weekly numbers were consistently single digits. <grins> My own damn fault, I guess. I get out of this what I put into it. But I'm trying to get back into the fandom a little bit, in the hopes that catching up with friends will engender some "scribal motivation" on my part.

Wish me luck?

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, "Conversion." I know you've drove Fords with the Twin I beam front end. Well, Twin Traction Beam is just that, basically two halves of a drive axle, they pivot in the middle. The left traction beam has the diff, there is a short axle spud on the right side of the diff with a u-joint for the right beam articulation.

The leaf springs act as both suspension and location for the two halves with the shackle at the rear of the leaf. Oddly enough, the leafs are rated higher than one ton leafs. Keep in mind the GWB is only a three quarter ton as rated by Ford but I have heavier springs in front and the back leafs are the same 3/4 or 1 ton. Go figure. Back end goes down one inch when I hook up to my daughter's 24' tritoon boat.

Solo Motorsports takes the beams, removes the leaf spring mounting provisions then adds bosses to mount the coil springs and trailing arms. They also do what is called a cut and turn, basically realigning the "C"s at the ends of the axles because this will give me about a 3" to 4" lift. I buy some bolt-on Ford 3/4 ton spring perches, bolt on some trailing arm locating brackets, new brake lines, stick it all back together. The beams come already modified in the kit, I can get $350 back if I ship my old beams back to them and they can be deemed reusable. Once I'm done an alignment by a qualified Ford-knowledgeable shop will be a must.

so paraphrased, that's the conversion.

So, if you get bored, "Scribe" is now finished if you need some reading.

http://www.kellanmeigh.com/scribe.html
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good times at Meig'h MotorSports! Wish I didn't live out here near the left coast. I'd head over there to give you a paw, or at least hand you whatever tool you needed next.

Good luck with that, Kel.

SC

p.s. y'know, it's been so long, I'll have to start Scribe all over again. Where's my glasses?

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
Sounds like good times at Meig'h MotorSports! Wish I didn't live out here near the left coast. I'd head over there to give you a paw, or at least hand you whatever tool you needed next.

Good luck with that, Kel.

SC

p.s. y'know, it's been so long, I'll have to start Scribe all over again. Where's my glasses?

NOt sure where you left off, it ended with 46 chapters in total. "Rift" is based on the ending of "Scribe" and I'm hoping to start posting this fall.

Yeah, your help would be appreciated. Around here, my oldest daughter is better help working on things than my two grandkids. Oldest one is a musician (Death Metal, Nu Metal), youngest one is into role play card games and he's a roofer. Well sort of a roofer.

The oldest daughter, my oldest son's girlfriend and I rebuilt the lower end of my daughter's Suzuki 140hp outboard. Words to the wise, if it freezes in your state, you service the lower end before winter. Old Mother Nature likes to break things with frozen water like propeller shaft support housings and shift linkage covers.

BTW, a wild ass guess says your glasses are on top of your head. That's where mine are when I can't find them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: