Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Still Running Win 7?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you still running Win 7?
Sure am! Why mess with a good thing?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Not yet! Where do I get a free upgrade?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You mean there's someting better than Win 3.11 for Workgroups?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Ubuntu. baby!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Windows won't run on my iMac
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Anyone Still Running Win 7? Reply with quote

Just so you know, support for Win 7 went away the 14th of January.

If you are interested in upgrading to Win 10, you can still get the Win 10 upgrade for free. go here and follow the prompts to do the download. One 8Gb USB stick is needed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the files go one of two ways - clean or upgrade install.

If everything is backed up, leave the stick in place and reboot. This will do a clean install.

For an upgrade install, reboot with the stick out. Place the stick back in after full startup, then go to the setup file and double click.

I did my machine a few days ago and I'm pleased with the outcome. Lost no data, settings or programs.

I also added Open Shell to make my start menu work like Win 7.

Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a laptop with Vista running again, would this work for that OS?
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazikar wrote:
Just got a laptop with Vista running again, would this work for that OS?

Well . . . maybe. Vista was a bad resource hog that wasn't well mannered when it came to CPU cycles. If it has 4Gb of ram 32 bit or 8Gb of ram 64 bit, 500Gb of HDD and runs Vista without too much issue, you will be able to upgrade but not for free, I'm afraid.

You would need the proper 32 bit or 64 bit software install disk and it will require a clean install to upgrade.

As an aside, years ago I bought a new Dell Inspiron 1501 that had 2Gb of ram and it came with Vista Home Premium on it. It could not run the Aero desktop without crashing and that was an issue; it crashed a lot. There was an option when I bought the machine to pay $50 USD for an "Upgrade" to XP, something that I finally had to do.

I ran XP Pro on that machine for years until the end of support came. Biting the bullet, I installed Win 7 Home Premium on that machine, just 4Gb of ram. It's a bit crunch-grind at times but it will run games and surf the net fairly decently.

So, I'm going to be doing the upgrade to 10 on that one, too. It's a 32 bit machine so we will see if it works. Many people say Win 10 runs just fine on 4Gb of ram with a 32 bit machine but a 64 bit machine needs 8Gb of ram.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still running Win 7. I've got a 1TB SSD that I'm going to clone my existing 512G SSD over to tonight. Tomorrow, I'll try doing the in-place upgrade on the cloned drive. If it fails, or is messed up, I can always put the old 512G back in.

Cheers!!

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to do the same thing I did with XP. Stubbornly use Windows 7 until I just can't anymore.

Especially since I loathe Windows 10. Official malware is what it is.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flat with Win 7 until my rig died, turns out there aren't anymore supplies for Win 7 compatible rigs, so here I am on a Ryzen with 10 Pro
Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickles wrote:
I was flat with Win 7 until my rig died, turns out there aren't anymore supplies for Win 7 compatible rigs, so here I am on a Ryzen with 10 Pro

I see a number of "Off Lease" machines that used to run Win 7 have been upgraded to Win 10 before sale. Win 7 seems to have gone the way of the other flavors of Window$.

The thing is, unless you used a program like Acronis True Image to back up your whole OS and apps, there's no Win 7 updates available from the Micro$oft site. Only if you had a disk with all the updates burned on it to update the security flaws, using raw Win 7, especially on the Intarwebs is No Bueno.

I'm usually real picky about my OS selection so Win 10 has pleasantly surprised me. It's faster than Win 7 in every way, so far. We shall see what the long term brings for it.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the non-SCADA computers where I work are still running Win7. My employer has a long history of delaying the inevitable, and the demise of Win7 support is being treated no differently. We have desktops, laptops, and notebooks running on copper, fiber, and RF WANs and LANs scattered across 5 counties in SoCal. Probably several thousand devices all told. Not a small undertaking, to be sure, but we've know it was coming for a l o n g time.

And here on The Range we're still running Win7. My trusty old HP dv6 laptop is very stable with it, and my HP desktop, while bogging down with the more complex programs (these days mostly mapping software programs, Google Earth, and Chrome or Firefox), it still manages to get the work done.

Me worry? Nah. I will probably investigate iOS products before parting with the green for something running WinX. If history does indeed repeat itself, then Win11 should be a very powerful, stable, and reliable platform.

May I live to see such a thing from the Windoze folks ...

SC

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's closed. My answer is Win 7 running on my Mac using a virtual machine. Well, Mac too 98% of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: