Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blather Topic: The Rant Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Blather Topic: The Rant Thread Reply with quote

Greets, Peeps!

Let's get some kind of something going here in Everyday Blither-Blather. How about a rant thread. I'll start with an injustice I see happening on the Amazon Marketplace. You can comment on that, or start a new rant.

The Amazon Marketplace is pretty cool. You can sell your used books there and I sold my gently used MacBook Air there last year. For ordinary mortals what you're selling needs to be already listed, so something like books, which have ISBNs, are ideal.

The Marketplace can be especially useful for rare and out of print books. However some vendors are taking advantage of buyers by creating the impression a book is rare or out of print, when the reality is that the publisher just isn't selling through Amazon.

Case in point are books by Gryphon Books for Writers, a micro-publisher (they have 4 titles in their catalog).

I had a strong recommendation for Writing The Fiction Synopsis by Pam McCutcheon, along with the warning that the book was out of print and hard to find. So when I saw a used-like-new copy on Amazon Marketplace for about $28 + shipping, I snapped it up. Months later I get a strong recommendation for Goal Motivation & Conflict by Debra Dixon, along with the warning that it was hard to find. Amazon Marketplace had it listed through several vendors as new, starting at $65 to well over $100 (all USD). Insane.

So I did a Google search and found the publisher is alive and well and selling their books directly through their own website. Synopsis is $19 + S&H and GMC is $20 + S&H. And the books were in stock. The shopping cart was broken, so I called (Saturday afternoon) and this sweet little old lady answered. We had a nice chat. She knew what was going on and was appalled. I suggested that rather than try to punish the guilty, she should either wholesale to Amazon, or sell through Amazon Marketplace. Either would kill the "let's rape the customer" vendors who count on customer confusion.

Well, that's my rant: Dirty rat bastards who know damn well a book is in print and available at list, but hide behind FUD in order to jack the price by 3x or more.

Dirty rat bastards. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes really wonder what some people are thinking when they list stuff on Amazon. I've seen some books listed at $3.00 or you could choose one that is listed at $1000.00... Nothing special about it, it's like the other, just listed at an insane price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jaymee Fox
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an Amazon seller. I sell a lot of school books for CHEAPER than buybacks program that sells and used books from college bookstores.

For example I went to a garage sale and found 18 law books in perfect condition for 25 cents each!! (NO JOKE) the person was moving out east and wants to sell everything so I brought all of them. They are valued like at 200 or more so I sell for between 50 to 100 dollars and I make over 100 percent profit.

My rant I hate how Amazon sets a shipping price and it is really different price for example. 3.60 shipping (the buyer paid that) I end up paying 5 dollars for some reason..

I carry my phone with Amazon app and scan in the IBN number or the barcode and see how many are selling/ how much it's worth at original price then I will decide to buy it or not.

Not only I buy books I also found several stuff like camera flash still in a box for 1 dollar and sold it for near it's value. Got great feedbacks because I made sure all of my items are in near new /perfect condition.

------------------------
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. For books Amazon sets a fixed price for shipping on the Marketplace. If a book weighs 1/2 pound the buyer pays $4. If the book weights 14 pounds the buyer pays $4. Fixed price is okay, except... I have a Microsoft resource kit for Windows 2000 (a boxed set of books). Thought I might sell it, but some sellers are asking $0.01 plus the fixed shipping of $4. Unfortunately the cheapest way to ship is USPS media mail, which comes to just under $11. Haven't done it yet, but I may toss all those books in recycling. Confused

I sold a book the other day. Had one, accidentally bought another. So I priced it about $1 under Amazon's price (if you add in the $4 shipping). 6 months later I mentioned it to my daughter and she said, "Oh I want that book." I went to remove it from the Marketplace and it sold that day.

Hey check this out: Expedition, hardback, used. Okay, it's a pretty cool coffee table book and I guess it's out of print. Thing is, we bought a copy at a used book store and paid $2. Maybe I should sell our copy.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a McKay's book store near me, about the only thing I look at Amazon for, book wise, is Rabbit's books.
McKay's is a media lovers dream. (I made Journye and I both "McKay's Addict" bags) They buy and sell books (and movies and records and video games, etc) so any books I don't want I just take there and skip the hassle of trying to sell for myself.
McKay's also has this beautiful, often magical, thing out front called the free bins. Anything they don't want to sell they dump in there and anyone can take. It's often a very beautiful thing... 0.0

Oh yeah, rant, urm...I hate when people camp out over the free bins, trying to take up space and block others from seeing something before they reject it. That's my only McKay's rant, the selfish customer. lol

(A couple weeks ago I had a fur gathering at my house and at the end of the weekend we all went to McKay's. We didn't count what everyone else got but Journye got 70+ books for less than 20.00$ spent and I got 40+ books for less than 15.00$ spent by the time we were done at the free bin.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Amazon I want have anything too do with them. McKay's. I never head of them, do they have a website?...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKay's only has locations in Knoxville, TN, Chattanooga, TN and Nashville, TN. They don't sell online since their stock changes so fast. (the old Nashville location only had about 30-40 parking spaces and was always full and over flowing)
Their website is: http://www.mckaybooks.com
There is another store in the Winston-Salem, NC area called Edwin McKay's Used Books. It was apparently the original store but there was a problem between Edwin and McKay so McKay branched off to do their own store. I've not been to the NC store.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Princess I'll take a look at their site...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: