Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nachter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Nachter Reply with quote

New thread, new story. Not furry, not even contemporary, and not historical. This is my first attempt at Sci/Fi, so I hope you will all enjoy it Smile I will be posting it regularly, but slowly. At first, sadly, it'll be a chapter a month only. Maybe two for Yuletide if you're all good ... maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Very Happy

this one is a very well-constructed story that deserves to be read by all.

Although I might be biased, since I did some of the proofing . . . Embarassed

Kel

Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha, oh - this is a tease ain't it...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent the prologue to Nachter to Bastion for posting. I hope he will find the time to get it done tomorrow, but if not, then soon I am sure.

Please, I hope you will all receive this story well. It is of some importance to me, since it is the first really "human" story I have done, and I really think the story in this is different. It isn't meant to be action-packed from one end to the other. It's about us, and what makes us people, and not just empty automatons, and I really hope you will all like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bastion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Thursday and that means it's time for the first installment in Nachter. You can read it here

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Those that fail to learn from history are comdemned to repeat it"
'Usually on a larger scale'

Quote:
"How you gonna keep them down on the farm, after they've see Paris..."

BTW, is there a translation for the title, looks like a 'Night' derivative (Nightfall?)??
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title is purposefully ambiguous. It will come up in a later chapter, though
Very Happy
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a cool story, folks. I had the privilege of proofing it at least most of the way through. Buckle in, it's quite a ride.

Oh, and prepare to think, you'll have lots of concepts that'll require it.

Twisted Evil

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much a thinking bloke's story, even by your standards, Filly. I even forwarded it to my folks, as I thought they'd find a story that they'd really engage with.

I think that it will make me change my perspective on a few things, and that I'll enjoy it for what it is. And now I shall wait a very long, very anticipating month...

Cobra out.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure when Bastion will have a chance to upload this month's chapter, but I have sent it to him at least, so it's just a matter of patience Smile
bastion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

December kinda sneaked up on me and took me by surprise, so belatedly, chapter 1 is up...

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute, a moral-lowered craft with a marionette leader...

...the darkness continues to fall...
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

So you don't even need religion to be denied paradise...
Or Utopia, Nirvana, Upload or however it happens to be called in your neck of the wood.

With religion you can at least hope (and pray) that God (or whatever the proper authority is called) will still let you enter once you show up at the gate (or give you another chance) even if his/her/its/their mortal embassadors denied your visa request.

Here you know that it's over if you don't fit the (narrow and somewhat arbitrary) rules for entry. Rules that were probably made (and are definitely enforced) by men (and the occasional woman) sitting in a climate-controlled office whose only brush with the hardships of life was having to drink their first cup of coffee of the day without milk or sugar because the wife forgot to buy that the day before. By the second cup somebody would have procured the missing items. or else...
And such people judge over people who had to go through hell and finally couldn't take it any more (I'm talking about the "sanity" tests and the "no upload after suicide" clause).

At the same time their rich and influential friends will coast by, no matter what they do, (as long as it's not way over the top or happens to hurt other, more influential people). Like that Vice Admiral Malinsky, he sounds like a "A" class sociopath, exactly the kind of person who should be the last to be considered for "upload".

If I was in charge of designing the "sanity" tests, I'd go back to the drawing board with any "sanity" test on which he scored above 20%.

And don't get me started on things like the "PM"...
Any half-way competent programmer could fix 90% of the problems with that device in one slow afternoon (assuming of course, that he was familiar with the project and had access to all the needed tools and such).
Just denying the requests to fix the device must cost more effort than fixing it, even if it only invilved setting up a system that automatically sends a stock reply.

Anybody who has worked in software will have seen similar. We have something like this (not nearly as bad, but still).
A few weeks of extra work on the side of the development team would save one to two man-years every year in my department alone by fixing a couple of bugs and adding a few key features. Given that our country office amounts to less than one percent of the whole company, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to give priority to this. While the latest version did fix a bug or two, the most important change was that all the icons were redesigned to be more "stylish"...

edit:
Now that I think about it, a few things don't really make sense to me:

In the uploaded Terra has a near-infinite workforce for any kind of work that doesn't require a physical presence, things like programming, planning or tech support. If they can think and communicate, then they can use a computer. Even physical work wouldn't be a problem as long as it can be performed by a robot (controlled by one or more uploaded).
Sure, most uploaded would probably not want to have a "nine-to-five" job, but sheer numbers and boredom should ensure that there are enough of them willing to do such work, at least occasionally. Given the billions of people that will have been uploaded by that point of the story...

It isn't mentioned, if this is the case, but it seems that contact between the living and the uploades has to be strictly regulated. That only the upper tier of government officials have any contact with them.

Otherwise something like the "Götterdämmerung" debacle could not have happened, the uploaded would have found out, rechecked the numbers on the "improved" plans and gotten the word out that it would most likely kill everybody involved and then gotten the word out.

Similar with the "PM" devices, the uploaded should have gotten wind of the problems, found out that a few relatively small bugs were causing huge problems (a significant drop in the efficiency of the navy) and fixed them.

Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless, you forgot one thing, most of the 'bugs' are spotted by nameless yahoos who don't count for determining *if* there is a problem in the first place...
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, that's probably why it's like this.

On the other hand, when I consider the possibilities of the uploaded:

I'm sure that by now there will be dozens, if not thousands of former officers among the uploaded. Even if the living wouldn't allow them to actually make command decisions, there should be enough of them to form a "ghost board", a group of "armchair admirals" (many of whom will have been active admirals before) who go over after-action reports and such and try to think up ways to improve tactics and gear.
Plus there should be at least a few uploaded who had their own problems with the PM device before they were knocked off (even if many of the former users of the PM didn't get uploaded precisely because they were driven insane by the device).
There simply must be a few competent officers among the uploaded officers who aren't too smobbish to talk to the enlisted and who would bring the matter to the attention of the proper authorities.

Of course, it's always possible that the government and admirality are so incompetent and corrupt that they would ignore such a fantastic opportunity so they don't have to listen to any inconvenient facts and truths.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: