Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you decide on your name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In parts of the American southwest it is common to refer to descendants of those who have lived in the area for generations, specifically those descended from Spanish conquistadores, as "coyotes." This custom predates by many generations the currently trendy use of "coyote" to refer to one who smuggles human cargos northbound across the border between Mexico and the United States.

On the crew I am part of there is another guy of latino extraction who is very close to me in age. One day we got into a discussion about who was older, and it turned out I am by a few months. It also happens that I am a few inches taller, and thus a few pounds heavier, than this other guy, and so the moniker I use in virtually all my real life e-mails was born:

"El coyote mas grande y viejo." The larger, older coyote.

Having that already going for me, when I became a furry about ten years ago it only took a glance into the mirror to come up with "The Silver Coyote." Yeah, my hair isn't brown anymore.

Having kids does that to folks, I'm told. I'm 51 years of age, by the way, my youngest (of three) is 17.

Finally, I find referring to myself as "SC" much less of a mouthful than "The Silver Coyote," so that's what I go by.

SC

princeben07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day, there are very FEW who can properly pronounce my character's name.

End.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say "Prince Ben Oh-Seven". Do I get a cookie? Wink

The Coyote's story reminded me...

I'm working on a novel set on a Montana Indian reservation, with a fair number of native American characters. Wanting a good sense of modern Blackfeet names (both family and given names) I sent off for the phone book. What a treasure.

I also wanted to avoid using an existing family names, it's a small community.

My heroine and title character carries the family name of Gordon, but then her late daddy was a white man. Her best friend has the family name of Spotted-Calf (in the phone book are Bull Calf, Bull Child, Spotted Bear, Spotted Eagle, and other similar names). I'd originally named my heroine's rival Weasel Tail, but then remembered there was a famous 19th century Blackfeet from Canada whose given name was Weasel Tail, so I renamed the rival Stripe Tail. The heroine gets involved with a trio of brothers named Crazy Guns (in the phone book are Many Guns, Cross Guns, and Crossguns).

What happened was that the Blackfeet had only given names in the 19th century (and earlier), and some would gain a new name because of some significant event. As part of the "civilization" process they were forced to choose family names and many chose the given name of a beloved ancestor.

For some of those names I created, I also invented a little backstory for the ancestor. For example I picture a wildly unpredictable 19th century warrior given the name Crazy Guns. Like Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) in the original True Grit movie, I see the ancestral Crazy Guns astride his war pony galloping full tilt at his enemy. He has a lever action rifle in each hand, alternately cocking and firing one-handed, and screaming in defiance (Indian ponies had no reins). Of course he couldn't really hit anything, but he scared the bejezus out of his enemy. Crazy people had powerful medicine (magic) and it was best to stay far away from a crazy person. Also, those early Winchester rifles used pistol loads, so the short cartridges meant they could get 20 or more rounds into that tubular magazine.

BTW, a photo of the historic person Weasel Tail shows him in his Sunday best. Dangling from a string around his neck? A stuffed weasel.

S~

princeben07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say "Prince Ben Oh-Seven". Do I get a cookie?

hehehe...LOL!!! That was pertty good Scotty.

The name is Benaires, but alot of people don't know how to pronounce the "ai" in the name; CAN YOU? hehehehe...How ya been doing though?
Everything good on your end?

Hit me up sometime!!

Benny boy

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Ben-are-es"?

Been doing good enough. I'm a student again. But I should probably get a part-time job to go with that.

I've got too may writing projects going. The novel currently on the front burner I'm calling Little Red Feather. My log line for it is: "A pair of werewolf brothers battle over a Montana Indian girl--one hungers for her love, the other for her flesh--in this retelling of the classic fairy tale." Not sure if it's paranormal romance, horror, or something else.

I'd like to take off a few days this summer to go up to Montana to do some research for the novel. I must be there the weekend after the Fourth. Later in August would be cool too. We'll see though. A part-time job would really help.

And I cut off my hair.

S~

GriffinX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so mine is a shortened version of my email address which i got from combining two things that really you don't see all that often.

mythology and business.

griffin of course is the myth part and yes i do realize that that isn't how you spell the myth name but i like this spelling better. the X comes from the word Xango "ZAn-Go" which is a fairly prominent business here in Utah unfortunately i was never very good at selling the drink "Xango" (it's a legael multi-level marketing business) but when i was in it, is when i set up my email account and there where already a lot of people in "Xango" with email accounts. so i had to get "creative". i decided to go with a myth. my favorite myths are the greek, roman and Egyptian myths and gods. so i looked through some of them and came across the greek mythical creater the sphinx. there i thought was a "great, strong beast" but Sphinx-xango just doesn't roll off the tongue right. so i went to a relative, relatively speaking. the gryphon.

thus you have GriffinX

(thou in hind sight this kinda make me think of malcom X not quite sure if that is a good thing.)

P.S. i have some of midi's "special" brownies for anyone that can name two business that have mythic gods for their business mascot or name.

hint#1 *swoosh*

hint#2 roses are red violets are blue.

http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GriffinX wrote:
P.S. i have some of midi's "special" brownies for anyone that can name two business that have mythic gods for their business mascot or name.

I once worked for a company named Avatar Systems. That counts as one.

And that Greek gal of victory counts as the other.

S~

GriffinX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you got one of the ones that i was thinking yes the goddess of victory is a very popular name.

sorry i didn't study the hindu myths and aspects so i didn't know about the other one. it was a good answer though.

*dons the bomb squad suit* OK here you go one of midi's special brownies just for you...*hand's it off gently as possible then runs away like it was going out of fashion*

http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
Enola Straight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original screenname on another board was simply "enolancooper" after my late father, Edward.

Later I noticed the "enola" and changed the name to Enola Straight, a play on words referring to The Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped a nuke on Hiroshima.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: