Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you decide on your name?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: How did you decide on your name? Reply with quote

I know some furs have VERY specific reasons for picking the furry name they did, some not so specific.

So, how did you come up with your furry name?
Does it have a meaning (translation)?

Let's here about your fursona name.

I chose Princess B because I wanted something a little different. I have a lot of nicknames, some used more then others. Princess Buttercup (or Princess B) is something that a few called me but not a whole lot so I figured it would be something fine to use as I felt around the fandom.
Princess Buttercup of course comes from the Princess Bride movie and I shortened it down to Princess B mostly because I wasn't sure of the full name would be too long to be accepted in some areas.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mwalimu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose 'mwalimu' while I was still active in Lion King fandom. Since the names of some of the characters from that movie were Swahili words, a lot of fans followed the lead by using Swahili words for character names, both for fan fiction characters and for themselves. The idea I was going for was an absent-minded professor, so I looked up the word for 'professor', which happened to be mwalimu. I later found out that it's primarily the word for 'teacher' and only by extension for 'professor'. (I am neither, by the way; I'm a programmer).

Side note #1: The Swahili word for 'to teach' is 'walimu'. This pattern of prefixing a verb with an 'm' to form the noun of one who performs the act is followed for other verbs in the language, e.g. 'soma' = 'to read'; 'msoma' = 'reader'.

I had been using the name online for a few years and seldom had reason to speak it aloud until I started attending meets and conventions. Once I did and had to start speaking it more often, I almost changed it because at first I found it awkward to pronounce. But before I could settle on another name I became comfortable enough speaking it that I decided to keep it after all.

Side note #2: Vowels in Swahili are pronounced about the same as in Spanish or Italian. When the m- prefix is used, it is pronounced as if preceded by an unemphasized 'e' (what some linguists call the schwa sound). Thus, mwalimu is pronounced em-wah-lee-moo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Syrius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Interesting stuff, Mwalimu!

Mine is simply an alternate spelling of the name for main star of the Canis Major constellation: Sirius. But given it sounds like "Serious" and the digital radio service is named that as well, I decided to go for a different spelling and pronunciation. ("Sy" rhymes with "rye")

The added last name "Belsferg" is just a bastardized amalgam of German last names Beiersdorf and Carlsberg that I made up. Razz

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru is one of the most common names in Japan. It means "Shining."

As for Katayamma, that's the surname of a family I stayed with briefly in the late 70's on a trip. I intentionally misspelled it with an extra "m" so as to be unique.

My real last name ends in "son" which is a Japanese honorific reserved for very important people. To avoid confusion and mispronouncing either of my names, I went Japanese and never went back.

=^_^=

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name Asalis oddly enough started out as just a random group of letters I just happened to type on the keyboard without looking. Simple explanation but the journey I've had with that name has been a heck of a tale to tell. It started out simple, just getting into the fandom as it were once i had discovered it. Along the way I made many friends and learned a lot about myself.

My fursona has evolved a lot since then. Eventually i had reached a point where i figured that my fursona has evolved enough to give it a last name. So now I often go by the name Asalis Featherbloom. The last name took a lot of thought. Took a lot into consideration such as the species my furry self was as well as his likes and dislikes. Eventually I settled on something that i often like to do as a child. I liked watching flowers bloom. but that wasn't really enough for a last name. Then out of nowhere a single feather happened to land in front of me when I was sitting at my computer. The cat I used to have decided for whatever reason to pounce my old feather pillow from atop the windowsill. Feathers flew everywhere and the cat was absolutely nowhere in sight afterwards. course as I cleaned up the mess I picked up one feather and looked at and that when it hit me. Ever since then it's been Asalis Featherbloom and it's always stuck.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Kantaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the process of creating Kantaro, Alanna and the world in which they live, I had to find names for them. As events and relationships formed in my mind, it occurred to me that Kantaro should have a Japanese name even though he's not Japanese. I searched until I found Kantaro, a name that resonated with me.

After that, a number of other things unfolded, like how Kan's parents really enjoying Japanese culture even though they're not Japanese themselves. They named Kantaro for their love of the Japanese, and because when they think of Japan, they think of things like peace and cherry blossoms.

Kantaro himself, while a normal blue arctic fox by breed, is slightly exotic due to his bright green eyes and his Japanese name.

Leonato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a feline sounding character name... For free-form text-based IRC role-play. Originally conceived as a Tiger. And a friend suggested the character name from Much Ado About Nothing =^.^=
And the name stuck. When I found the furry fandom, I was in need of a name, so why not use the one I had been using for this character of mine... Never would have imagined so much of my life being part of the name. But isn't that the way it normally goes? Often the biggest impacts on our lives are the things we really didn't give much thought to at first.
So that is how a Lynx winds up with a name like Leonato.

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be completely honest.

I haven't the faintest Idea what to call myself and it constantly changes for me. Sometimes I get the feeling that I might have more than one personality to account for.

-shrug-

Tora was a nick name given to me by the mother of my daughter when we were together for a time. I had for many years had a strong association with tigers and Japan. Tora is japanese for Tiger.

Hinomoto went along with the japanese idea. However it's the most important part of my name.

Hinomoto means Origin of Fire. This is the most important aspect of how I identify and is the only part of me that remains unchanging. I am born of fire. The Fire of conflict, the burn of the mistakes that I have made, the light to ward off the darkness of the mind.

/sigh

On a lighter note. I go by a few other names as well.

To Include:
Shane Wolfe
Pickles
Bluefire (Blufire, Blufier, Bluefier)

So, though limited, these are who I am, and I simply can't decide on one at this point.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with any online username is the non-exclusivity of the thing. I used to be SMiller in high school (pronounced "smiler"), but there are millions of SMillers online.

Then one day a pastor I was working with got an online account to something and he typed in JohnnyAD as a potential username. He got the name. His real name was John A. DiPietro. He didn't like his username and complained that he never should have typed it in. But I thought, "That's brilliant!"

So I tried ScottyDM, and got it. Tried it on another site, and got it. Tried it somewhere else, and got it! No one but me, it seems wants that name. Now I was a little late on Yahoo, so I'm ScottieDM there, and the same with YouTube. I also bought the domain names. Back when I was consulting I thought about moving my business under that name, then seeking Federal trademark registration for "ScottyDM". Over $400 plus legal fees, so I didn't.

As for my animal persona, that took a lot longer. An animal... me? Umm, let's see. Anyway, after a bit of pondering, and the realization that I like grubbing about in the dirt--gardening, looking for shiny rocks, exploring caves or old mines, and just plain digging holes--I realized the answer was badger.

There are several different types, and despite my European heritage, I figured I was an American badger: Taxidea taxus.

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger!

I kinda like snakes too.

And I'll eat anything slow enough or stupid enough to be caught. Which is pretty much a badger's diet.

Badger.

S~

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what most might think I did not pick my name because of the band STYX Although they are one of my favorite groups. No my name comes from an old paper and pencil RPG character I used to play.

Kasyl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream about a wolf who called himself Kasyl... he was very specific about how to spell it. This dream occurred perhaps a week before I joined Planetfurry, so when I needed a name for myself, a wolf named Kasyl was the first thing I thought of.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, Kasyl.

S~

Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went without a screen name for a while until my wife asked me what animal I was online. I told her I wasn't, that I didn't have a totem animal, didn't consider myself a therianthrope, or anything. I just loved reading the stuff! She was confused and allowed as how she didn't think I could do that. So I threw it open to the PF community at the time as to which animal they thought I was most like. The puma came up the clear winner. The binomial nomenclature for the puma is Felis Concolor. That's what I've called myself ever since, and it works for me.
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have the nick Nitro cause I liked it.

Decided I liked Nite better!

(probably sharing it with 32,000 other furries in the fandom)
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug (or the other forms of the name that exist) mean "Hot Spring of the Gods" in old norse. In my case, however, I looked for a strong female figure from the extensive catalogue of non-divine norse tales. Aslaug was the queen of Ragnar Lodbrok (or in modern lingo, Ragnar Furrybreeches), and she was one of the strongest and wisest female figures I could think of. When her future husband first met her, she was disguised as a poor, dirty farm-thrall. He saw a spark in her eyes, however, and so he challenged her.

"Come to my ship at first light," he said, referring to his longboat moored in the fjord, as he was on his way home after an unsuccessful wooing mission, "You must be naked yet clothed, alone, yet bring company, fasting, yet you must have eaten."

So Aslaug ... or Kraka as she was called then ... draped a fishnet around herself, picked up the nearest cat and bit into an onion.

Ragnar was so impressed by her clever way of solving his riddle that he brought her with him, only then learning that she was really the daughter of a long-deposed king, who had been hidden away to avoid her getting killed. Ragnar married her, and she bore him many sons, who went down in history as the Sons of Lodbrok ... and who are credited with a lot of great feats, including the founding of my new home city of Dublin, by Ivar the Boneless (apparently, his legs were lame ... not that it stopped him being a great warrior, he just got carried into battle sitting on a shield)

Aslaug remained her hotheaded sons best councel and advisor, even after Ragnar was killed in England, after King Ella threw him into a snakepit. Aslaug had given Ragnar a special shirt, saying that as long as he wore it, he would remain unharmed. When he was thrown into the snakepit, he still wore the shirt. Ella did not know for certain who he had captured, and trid to force Ragnar to admit to who he was by subjecting him to the spectre of death by poisoning. But the snakes refused to bite, and it was not until someone suggested stripping the great warrior naked, that the snakes attacked. Once he didn't wear his shirt anymore, Ragnar was bitten. His last words have gone down in Norse lore, and remains a saying to this day, although not used often:

"The piglets would grunt if they knew how the old boar suffers".

Ella was terrified as he knew who he had captured, and he knew that Ragnar's sons would come for him. And they did. When they learned of their father's death, they asked their mother what they must do, and she told them flatly to avenge their father and to make sure that Ella and all his subjects knew the wrath of the Northmen.

So Ragnar's sons set across the north sea with what became known as the "Great Heathen Army" ... crushed York, captured the remains of the city, caught Ella, subjected him to the Blood Eagle, and then let their army run rampant through England for ten entire years, until finally the first Danelaw was created.

Long story, I guess ... but Aslaug always stuck out to me from the stories, as a singularly powerful woman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: