Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What food craving are your having?...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Ongoing Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concolor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Does it have to be made from scratch or can I use those Jiffy cornbread mix things. Something my Grandfather on my Father's side liked and I liked it too was cornbread soked in milk in a bowl sort of a cornbread mush.

Hush puppies are pretty good. I grew up with them. My family (hanging as we were off the bottom rung of the middle-class ladder) ate beans a LOT. We'd have a big pot of pinto beans about once a week, and Mom always made slaw and hush puppies to go with the beans. My Grandma had this homemade relish she called chow-chow that was sweet and spicy, and I loved that on the beans. It was even better on black-eyed peas (which we also had at least once a week). Mom's hush puppies were pan-fried as opposed to deep-fried, so they were flat rounds instead of little balls. I didn't know hush puppies came in spheroids until adulthood.

However, for my money corn bread (the way I make it) beats hush puppies. It's more versatile, and a lot less greasy, and doesn't weigh you down the way fried foods do. Jiffy mix is ... eh, okay. It's not bad. But there is a better way. Here's how to make Excellent Cornbread:

--Get a well-seasoned iron skillet, add 2 tablespoons of Crisco shortening, and place it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 410F.
--Take two big mixing bowls.
--Into Bowl A pour 1 cup sifted ALL PURPOSE flour (NOT self-rising), 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons baking POWDER (NOT baking soda), and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
--Into Bowl B pour 9 ounces of 2% milk, 1/4 cup canola oil (NOT olive oil), and two large eggs. Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
--After the oven reaches 410F, pour the liquid mixture into the dry and whisk it JUST until mixed. Over-beating will produce packy bread with little channels running through it, like bread worms or something. Quickly pull out the skillet and pour the batter in on top of the now-melted shortening, scraping the bowl out thoroughly. If the skillet is the correct temperature, there should be a slight crackling hiss as the cornbread starts to cook around the edges.
--IMMEDIATELY place the skillet back into the oven. Set the timer for 21 minutes.
--When done, put on some OVEN MITTS, pull out the skillet and invert a ceramic plate of a larger diameter than the skillet over the bread. Holding the plate in place, flip the skillet upside down. The bread should drop out onto the plate. If it doesn't, your skillet was not properly seasoned. You will have to use a long, flexible spatula or other thin tool to encourage the bread to come loose from the skillet.
--Serve immediately with butter. The inside should be soft and moist, the crust medium-brown and very crisp. I like to make this whenever I make soup or chili. It's a perfect accompaniment.

NOTE: The cooking time and temperature are predicated on an elevation of approximately 500 feet (150m) above sea level. If you live in much higher elevations, these figures may change.

ALSO NOTE: You can add other things to the batter to spruce it up. On occasion I've added finely-chopped peppers (WARNING -- stick to jalapenos and give the habaneros a pass for this application), finely-chopped onions, crumbled crisp bacon, and whole-kernel corn. It's all good.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Does it have to be made from scratch or can I use those Jiffy cornbread mix things. Something my Grandfather on my Father's side liked and I liked it too was cornbread soked in milk in a bowl sort of a cornbread mush.

Will I have never used the jiffy mix, so I say try it, it may work just fine for you...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Last edited by Tommy Fox Stone on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancakes
Kasyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything Subway. Razz
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasphemy! Quizno's baby!

Alexi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
Styx wrote:

Will I have never used the jiffy mix, so I say try it, it may work just fine for you...

Having been born in Miss. and raised in Ky. on a 200 acre farm, I can attest, Jiffy cornbread mix is very viable. It makes a decent hushpuppy. It's not as good as a well done homade one but if done correctly, it is quite good.
Vallus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craving a good all American burger right now.
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance toast chee and peanut butter crackers...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I like Cheetos cheese curls and skippy creamy peanut butter.

Hortmage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything leavened.

Right now, I'm snacking on some Manischewitz Kosher-for-Passover Double Chocolate Chip Cookies.

They taste like cardboard. Just like all other Kosher-for-Passover food items.... Sad

Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 oz Filet Mignon, Medium Rare, Cajun Seasoning, Baked Potato AND Steak Fries, A mug of Rum & Coke

With a Bloomin' Onion as the Appetizer.

Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, He'll even mess with religion to throw a bad pun out there.

RCraccoon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What food craving are your having?... Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
After posting about Ice Cream got me thinking about lunch, and I'm thinking some BBQ with fries or hushpuppies would be really good...

So what kind food cravings are you having?...

OMG i so love hushpuppies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beef Stew, unfortunately I only like the Wal-Mart brand and I couldn't find it at my local Wally World so right now I'm attempting a homemade version that mainly consists of, "oh that looks good, lets throw that in"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amalthea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot wings, even though they kill my insides and make smoke spout from my ears Smile

The Crying Wolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Ongoing Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: