Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone may have gotten a clue at last.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... how long does the battery hold out with that?
Syrius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I haven't fully tested it. I am currently charging the unit and will purposefully leave it on for one hour at mid-brightness setting to see how much the charge goes down. Since the application doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, I feel it won't drain the battery much.

Thanks for reminding me.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: My 0.02 USD worth Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Just one consideration for anyone thinking of ANY type of e-publishing.

Don't expect any money doing it.

I have heard from Jim Lane that an author he knows is leaving the writing biz because all the books she was counting on for income are now available on torrent sites after moving to Kindle and no way to stop them. So her income has dried up.

If you just want your story out there then feel free. Because that's what it will be, free.

That's why I didn't go e-book when I wrote "Destiny's Change." I had already heard horror stories about authors finding their books in torrent downloads back in 2006.

The other stuff I write stays on my website. I have no compulsion to publish them in paperback form since the subject matter is too specialized/niche.

Kellan

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Just one consideration for anyone thinking of ANY type of e-publishing.

Don't expect any money doing it.

I have heard from Jim Lane that an author he knows is leaving the writing biz because all the books she was counting on for income are now available on torrent sites after moving to Kindle and no way to stop them. So her income has dried up.

If you just want your story out there then feel free. Because that's what it will be, free.

Well, that naturally is the problem with any for of digital media. However, the problem that authors right now have is that they won't make much money in the first place. An established author (not on the level of Steven King or Mrs. Rowling, but a normal author) can expect to get about 80 cents per sold paperback, and thanks to the way the US publishing system works, he won't see that money for about 2 years after the book has been sold. A new author will get even less than that.

Knowing that, consider that if an author sold his books in digital formal, by himself, cutting out the publishers, he could offer the books at half price or even less but would make significantly more money than before. Plus, he would get the money right away, not years later.

Of course some form of copy protection or digital rights management is necessary, but is still something very new and such things will come.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Colour, the mortal enemy of batteries...

And so is LCD compared to E-Ink.

The JetBook is half the price of the Kindle 2, which will help push the whole market lower. But the Kindle 2 has a larger screen: 6 inches versus 5 inches, although for reference a mass market paperback is a bit under 8 inches. The Kindle 2 has far longer battery life: 96 hours (336 hours with wireless turned off) versus 20 hours, but for reference a mass market paperback lasts until the paper falls apart (several decades). With the battery issue I just don't see LCDs taking over E-Ink.

Anyway, for an e-book I'd far rather have a high resolution screen than color--even if the battery life was the same. For an ultra-function do-everything device, then color... yea.

Competition is good. So adding another competitor to the mix can't hurt the consumer.

S-

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Well, if all writers are being encouraged to go Kindle and not paper, there is something to consider there. Looks like the days of new paper and ink books are coming to an end. All publishing will be solely via people like Amazon and there will be no place for traditional publishers and printers in the next few years. It may be time to get out of the business and leave it to the 'Big Boys' to decide who gets published.

Ha! I love it when you're silly and contrary.

S-

Major Ivy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have not said much and just lurked but I feel I should mention something here.

Self publishing; you get what you pay for.
I have gotten a few books done by this method, they are mostly crap.
I'm not talking about the quality of the manufacture but the content itself.
These type of services PRINT ONLY. What you send them will be what they print, no proof reading, no format checking, no typo correction. It is printed with every mistake intact just as you sent it. Some will offer this service but there is an extra fee for doing so.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorIvy wrote:
Self publishing; you get what you pay for.
I have gotten a few books done by this method, they are mostly crap.
I'm not talking about the quality of the manufacture but the content itself.
These type of services PRINT ONLY. What you send them will be what they print, no proof reading, no format checking, no typo correction. It is printed with every mistake intact just as you sent it. Some will offer this service but there is an extra fee for doing so.

Last year I was reading through the BookSurge website. BookSurge is the POD arm of Amazon. Of course one of the advantages of BookSurge is that they're integrated with the Amazon website so it's pretty easy to plug into Amazon's promotion engine (for a hefty fee). And IMO, BookSurge charges waaaay too much for basic setup fees. They also offer a line-editing service. Line editing finds grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc., but it doesn't consider issues like style, characters, or story.

Anyway, they had a randomizer to give you links to a half-dozen BookSurge produced books on the Amazon website. I clicked on a novel and Amazon's "Look inside" feature was enabled. The first page was quite good. Impeccable grammar and spelling. The next page was equally good. On the third page a second character walked into the scene and it was clear the writer knew nothing about how to handle point-of-view or how to do dialog. It was useless clap-trap. Huzzah for "Look inside"!

Traditional publishing has suffered from the presence of the slush pile from the beginning of the industry. The slush pile is made up of all those unsolicited manuscripts publishers receive from hopeful authors, and I've heard something close to 95% are so badly written the editor's assistant rejects the manuscript after reading only a handful of lines.

Then came the Internet and with it freedom for anyone to find an audience without the need to first pass through a gatekeeper--such as the editor at a traditional publisher. But then someone pointed out all this did was move the slush pile from the editor's office, where the public doesn't have to look at it, out to where everyone gets to wade through mountains of painfully bad slush to try to find the gems.

All POD publishing has done is moved this public slush pile off of websites and into paper and ink. The gems are there, but it's not always apparent where or how to quickly find them.

Scotty

Syrius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Well, if all writers are being encouraged to go Kindle and not paper, there is something to consider there. Looks like the days of new paper and ink books are coming to an end. All publishing will be solely via people like Amazon and there will be no place for traditional publishers and printers in the next few years. It may be time to get out of the business and leave it to the 'Big Boys' to decide who gets published.

Why does that remind me of Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451"? (Nothing to do with that kook Michael Moore)

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike cannot clarify his comment because he left PF, but I have to believe he was joking when he wrote that. Besides, Bradbury's story was about censorship, not new technology.

Paper and ink books will be around for a long, long time to come.

Recorded music has always been about technology (and the art, of course). From wax cylinders, to wire recorders, to shellac disks, to acetate tape, to vinyl disks, to mylar tapes in convenient plastic boxes, to CDs, to MP3 and AAC files. If you didn't have technology, you couldn't experience the music. And everyone knows the media deteriorates with time and has a limited life span. The old media gradually degraded in sound quality, while the digital media keeps going until it suddenly fails. And then there's the issue of the old media not playing on new technology. So one must maintain their old technology along side the new, or must transfer their collection from old media to new, or must repurchase their collection on new media. And movies are just like music.

Books are different. First, books require no technology to experience. Second, it's not difficult to produce a book that will last centuries, and in fact I have a copy of Burritt's Geography of the Heavens that was printed in 1860. Despite the slight discoloration and a few brownish spots, it's just as readable today as it was 149 years ago. Books are tangible. Books are a visceral experience. Books seem real.

But the world is changing and "books" is a very broad topic. Today there are several possible methods of delivering the reading experience:
  • Paper and ink produced via traditional printing processes. For high-volumes and traditional sales outlets.
  • Paper and ink produced via print on demand. For low volumes or intermittent demands.
  • Electronic books with a variety of file formats, some not yet invented.
  • Audio books distributed via CD or cassette tape.
  • Audio books distributed via MP3 or AAC files, etc.

Which format will be the most valuable depends on the purpose of the book. A few examples:
  • I feel the future of fiction lies in audio books, or as some future e-book file format that contains tags so a text-to-audio reader gets the dialog sounding like dialog. Audio works best with any book that the reader accesses in a linear fashion.
  • The future of the textbook will be split between paper and ink produced via POD and an electronic format that lets the reader heavily notate the text.
  • Knowledge books such as technology books, encyclopedias, etc. will work best in as an electronic book file format that allows the book owner to import the book into a database for full searchability across all their books within a user-selected field of study. This concept probably scares most publishers, but multibook searching is where the real value lies--else just get paper and ink. Note, I consider things like cookbooks to be in this category. For example it be great to be able to search your cookbook collection for recipes that used quinoa.
  • For children's books paper and ink will rule for a long, long time to come. Who wants to hand a 3-year-old their e-book reader?
  • The future of shop manuals will be split between paper and ink for small shops or individuals, while larger shops will want the books in electronic format so they can be instantly distributed to the point of use.
  • Reference books are fabulous in searchable format. Currently each has its own database application wrapped around the content, such as Microsoft's Encarta. Someday it would be awesome if the database application and the content were separate products so you could search across all your reference books at once.
  • Coffee table books will probably always be distributed in paper and ink form. However it might be nice to have the photos available electronically to display on a photo-display appliance or big-screen TV.
  • Any book collector will gravitate to paper and ink.

Then again the big problem with all electronic formats is the issue that all a book owner's data could suddenly vanish--which is far more likely than a fire or other home disaster that could wipe out a library of paper and ink copies.

Something that I've not yet seen any publishers try (but then I haven't looked too hard) is dual distribution off a single sale. That is, produce and sell a paper and ink copy, but allow the purchasers of that copy to download an audio or e-book version of that title for free, or minimal cost. This could be keyed off of some physical thing in the paper and ink copy, such as the Nth word on some random page. This would be ideal for textbooks using POD for the paper and ink copy and free download for the searchable e-copy.

Scotty

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:
Not get rid of the others but add USB to them.

And Tygon, as for color, how many paperbacks are there that contain color graphics aside from the cover? If they have any graphics at all they will be BW line drawings to save money. If you put out the same book and jsut change to color graphics the cost to print goes up ten times and really is not necessary for most works unless you are talking comics.

Because people will WANT color before they accept this. If they have something with a screen they will want to put pictures on it.

For that matter, why mp3 support? A paperback doesn't have sounds either but this jet thing has mp3 support. It's the very same reasoning.

BTW, I didn't notice that it had an LCD screen, I assumed that it was e-ink.

It's about time they broke the $300 barrier, even if this one is LCD. I'm still waiting for them to break the $30 barrier for at least the black and white e-ink units, maybe even break $50 for color. At the Kindle and Sony prices still over $300, I'd rather get an Asus Eee laptop and be able to do more with it, even if battery life might be only a few hours.

Why mp3 in a book reader? Why do phones have cameras in them? Wink I frequently listen to music in the background while I read but don't feel it's a requirement

Syrius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
Besides, Bradbury's story was about censorship, not new technology.

I know. But it still reminded me of F-451. Laughing

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
It's about time they broke the $300 barrier, even if this one is LCD.

That is the most important feature of this new reader.

S-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: