Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacationing in Chicago (vacation trip from hell.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Vacationing in Chicago (vacation trip from hell.) Reply with quote

I'm gonna be dropping out for a few days in Chicago. Starting tomorrow i'm gonna be heading up there to see the sights basically. been having a bit of a rough spot here and i'm looking for a short change of scenery. Something random to just get my mind off of things for a little while. I wont have any internet where i'm going simply because I also need a break from computers. May not have a job in them but i cant seem to get away from them either. Go figure.

Anyway, while I'm there I was wondering if anyone has been there before and has any suggestions on where I might go and what I should try?

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV

Last edited by Asalis on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the deep-dish pizza and the chicago-style vienna beef hot dogs.
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BYE BYE!!! I'll be happy when you get back.
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto the lake! looks lovely in the sunrise... just don't mind the smell...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Katra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a nice trip.
Asalis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i finally made it back home and have I got one hell of a tale to tell.

*walks up on stage and takes the mic in hand*

I'll try to keep this as light-hearted as I can. Not very hard considering what i had to put up with.

My mother and the other tenant who lives in this house who goes by the name of Vicky decided they wanted to go to Chicago on a vacation. They even asked another woman, Vicky's friend to come along. So for about a week I preped and got ready for this trip.

When it finally came time to start the trip with my mother it seemed just like any other trip. I had everything I needed, except a cellphone charger... By the time I realized it was missing we were already well outside of Dallas. the trip was a rather long and very aggravating one. the longest part was when we were driving through Oklahoma. I remember when we had finished passing through it because thats when my MP3 players battery ran out. I brought it with me because I didn't wanna hear the two in the front seat arguing the whole way. I even tried to fall asleep so I wouldn't hear the argument. So much for that idea. I was asleep for about five minutes before being woke up and asked which of the two women in the front seat were right, one of them being my mother.

How am I supposed to know? I was asleep ergo not paying attention or even caring about what either were arguing over. Already I could see that this trip was going to be "fun". I would have taken pictures of the trip up north except my camera was locked in the glove box and I didn't wanna risk asking for my camera and get shout at myself.

Me "can I have my camera? its in the glove box."

Person in the front passenger seat glares. "Do you think were lost? I think were lost but she refuses to listen. Reach back there and give me the map."

Me "Sorry I asked."

I also wasn't even allowed to take a laptop. They apparently thought i was "addicted". How can you be addicted to the computer? Internet I can understand but the computer in general?

Hey you wanna go to the mall?

No thanks man I just bought some more ram and I'm just gonna enjoy the ride. I need my comp speed. My computer is everything to me, my Precious!

Seriously...

Anyway as we traveled through Missouri and into Illinois when our car broke down. The belt melted in half because the thing in charge of the coolant kinda broke and began to overheat. It was obvious something was wrong when the car started screeching at making very funny smells, and not funny ha ha but funny PU.

At this point I was already thinking that this was going to be a "great" vacation. It's just not a true vacation until your car breaks down...

Luckily the car was still covered under warranty but we still had to pay for the towing expenses. Chevy was more than happy to fix the Malibu. Yes it was a mid-sized Chevy Malibu. Everyone else in the family owned a Ford. My Ford Focus is a hell of a lot more durable than this and its over 5 years old. The Malibu is barely 1 month old and its already breaking down?

Once we were back on the road we finally made it to Illinois. at this point my mother and the other tenant started arguing yet again as we drew closer to Chicago. It was a stupid argument over weather or not we were lost because we didn't see any signs or anything of that nature telling us where we were for a while. My mom was taking the back roads. SO I the only guy in this car said something that was rumored that guys never do. I suggested we stop and ask for directions. I tell ya if looks could kill those glares I got back would have sent me six feet under already. So they continued to argue until We noticed a rather large green sign coming up. my mom said well lets see what this sign says. As we pass I read "Welcome to Wisconsin"

Kinda missed the target destination there didn't we?

Turned out that after doing a little back tracking we had been driving in Chicago's urban area and didn't know it. Kinda hard to tell when your surrounded by nothing but corn fields on either side. They have all kinds of corn up there in Illinois, And each with a different intended use. Thats right, not all corn up there is for eating. That fact really blew my mind.

Me "It's corn, but I'm not supposed to eat it?"

Farmer "No thats traditional corn thats for eating."

Me "Excuse me? Traditional? Whats this corn for then?"

Farmer "Ethanol 86 Gasoline. Hybrid gasoline to be exact for those hybrid cars."

It's still over three dollars a gallon. I can get regular gas for 3 cents more... I would get the lesser expensive but my car's regular unleaded only. But the Malibu could use it. Ford the cheap @&$%@$'s

Anyway, I did however get to visit a Jelly Belly "factory" while in Wisconsin. They were giving free tours. Never got to actually see them being made, but we did get to see where it was stored where the tour was taking place. We were instead driven around the edge of this large room with video's set up on the wall showing the different parts of the process of how a jelly belly jelly bean was made while the "tour guide" did all the talking. Made us all sit on this big tram like thing that was disguised as a kiddie train. Like the treaded wheels weren't a dead give away that it wasn't a train. They even made all of the tourists wear this stupid flimsy hat made of paper, claiming it was for health reasons that we wear it and refused to start the tour until we all were wearing it. I think it was because it made the "Conductor" feel more at ease with the job he was given for the summer. Our tour guide was a zit faced teenager who was obviously reading most of what he told us from a script as he sat up front in the "Engine car". The tour was extremely cheap and cheesy. Nothing but a fancy tourist trap with a really expensive candy store for the people coming off of the tour.

On Saturday we arrived in Chicago's outskirts. where Vicky (the tenant living with us) had a cousin. Thats when I found out the original reason we went to Chicago was to watch a Football game that was nowhere near the actual city its self. Think about this for a moment. We went up there to Chicago to watch a football game. They could have easily just sat at home in their comfy chairs and watched the game on cable. Course I was also watching it from the hotel I was staying at since their cable was extremely limited to 8 channels so as not to risk a kid seeing anything explicit. I've seen a lot worse on sponge bob's square pants that would have scared me in my childhood for life. But Anyway I watched the game on TV for about 5 minutes before switching to TBS to watch Men In Black 2. Course I don't know if that really was the game they went to see or not. I just saw sports and though "Eh, whats on TBS. Ooh MIB 2."

It was a womans football game too. I have nothing against a womans football game. In fact I can honestly say that regular football ain't got nothing on Womens football. I mean there was more blood in that game than during an operation being documented on the discovery channel. Least thats what I was told. It was a tie game too, but I decided not to go. No offense meant but I'm just not into sports. I mean I sit at a rangers baseball game and am completely bored. Same with a basketball game and so on. Sports just aren't my thing.

On Sunday around noon we finally head into Chicago its self. This time I had my camera ready and took lots and lost of pictures. Only had time to try one thing in Chicago though. Their Double stuffed pizza. Let me tell you, that pizza was so big and thick that you could not pick it up and eat it. You had to use a fork. Never got to try a Chicago hot dog though. I Even went up on the sears tower and pretended I was King Kong for a few minutes. Took lots and lost of pictures of the whole city and learned a lot of history from taking the complete tour, and when I say complete I mean complete. The tour guide even told us little facts about the city that most wouldn't even care to hear about. Like all the buildings that Opera hasn't lived in yet.

Then around nine PM we proceeded to head home. Let me tell you, I really wasn't looking forward to the trip home. Not because I loved Chicago so much that I wanted to stay.. No. I was dreading having to ride in the same car with 3 women who all obviously get on each others nerves... Hell in a mobile death trap! On the trip home I did the smart thing and kept the camera with me. Unfortunately the batteries ran out of power so I couldn't take a picture of St Louis yet again as we passed on on the trip home. Fortunately I wasn't the only one with a camera. Vicky did catch a nice picture of that rather large arch. I couldn't help but think to myself. "you know. if they built another arch next to it and painted both of the arches yellow, McDonnald's would be set for centuries to come as the ruling fast food chain of the world.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to me rant about my trip. I'll be uploading the pics I took onto Photo bucket soon and will post a link when its all done.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Kasyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waves from atop the Arch* Hi from St. Louis!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: