Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importance of archetypes in a short story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velvet Karuda Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Importance of archetypes in a short story. Reply with quote

I hope I spelled archetypes right. LOL The leopard's spelling is a little on the "Hugely needs help" side.

Just wondering. In an effort to advance my writing's worth, I picked up a used book all about the many kinds of archetypical character builds in fictional works. It discusses all kinds of archetyps that you may run into in those stories as well as describes them in detail so you can get a grasp of how they would interact with other characters and/or the environment. Not to say you can't make things happen your own way. Very Happy

Well, the leopard tends to ramble alot so just bare with him, I was wondering if it really that important to have a well described archetypical character for a short story or is it just fine to have a basic les described character. I know description of appearance, attitude, and behavior are important. Just not sure about a full blown archetype in a relatively short work of fiction.

Sort of like weighing the effort against the effect, I guess. Any advice would be more than apreciated.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best if the main character or characters in any story are described in detail but only in what is important to the story, it's not needed to know his or their favorite ice cream flavor for example (unless that's part of the story of course). The goal is to create characters your readers can connect with on some level. The best stories are those where the author is able to make the characters become real to the readers, that can't happen if the reader does not know what makes the character tick.

Velvet Karuda Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I knew I didn't have to describe too much there. I just didn't want to think my characters were too lacking in description or too archetypical and mainstream.
Nadan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to be said for archetypical characters. They are familiar to us and can make for good reading. Of course, they need to be personalized, and it takes some fine writing to make them interesting since we have probably all read stories about such characters before, but they can be great. Good vs Evil, son estranged from his father, son's father-figure mentor dies, son kills father: these stories have been done to death. But they work in Star Wars. I think it would be harder to write something that keeps reader attention with too many archetypical characters, but they can make for some fine stories.

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the protagonist should not be an archetype, as a rule. If he/she's an archetype, very often the resulting tale is dull, one that's been told many times before. It becomes tempting, in other words, tell an archetypical story if you already have an archetypical protagonist. Otherwise, the shorter the story the more you need to depend on what were called "literary stereotypes" back when I was in school; the overprotective mother, the abusive father, the ungrateful child, etc. Every word in a story must do _something_, and the less words you use describing scenery or people, the better. Rather, have the people act and do as much as possible, and let the reader's mental image-making machine fill in the blanks. Only maybe once in a dozen tales do I describe a protagonist's physical appearance, for example, yet the reader never notices because, given distinctive actions and dialogue to work with, they create their own mental image. Said image will be _far_ more satisfactory to them than anything I might come up with for them. The same is true of a personality. Provide a few correctly-designed hints, and the whole person will come alive out of the reader's own stereotype catalog.

Again, the shorter the story, the more essential this is. That's becasue the shorter the story, the more load each word has to carry.

Last edited by Rabbit on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Velvet Karuda Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Finally someone other than my English 101 professor that knows as much about this stuff as I. The leopard is not alone! He he he

Yes. Those remarks definetly make sense to me. Less description where it is easy for the reader to piece the scene together and more where it is need/required to be emphasized.

That brings me to ask another question, which I will post in another thread. Believe it or not, I have a story, notes at least, of a protagonist and antagonist that are the same person. In the story of Simon I am working on now, I think I would say that the antagonist would be his illness and to a lesser extent the "Company". You'll know about the company once I make it. LOL

Thankies so much for the awesome and very well directing advice.

*Huggles and nuzzles from the golden leopard.*
Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That brings me to ask another question, which I will post in another thread. Believe it or not, I have a story, notes at least, of a protagonist and antagonist that are the same person. In the story of Simon I am working on now, I think I would say that the antagonist would be his illness and to a lesser extent the "Company". You'll know about the company once I make it. LOL

Hmm.

I've worked with a lot of new writers over the past few years. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly; if so, I am sorry for my error) that you are a relatively new writer. If that's the case, then I'd _strongly_ suggest you get a few tens of thousands of words of prose under your belt before taking on such a difficult plotline.

There is a strong tendency, I've noticed, among newer writers to try the "fancy" stuff first; words spaced oddly on a page to get an effect, trick plotlines, multiple-personality-disorder protagonists... What the beginner generally fails to appreciate going in is that this kind of thing is _hard_, a huge challenge even for the Faulkners among us. It's sort of like trying to play games with shutter-times and f-stops on a camera when the operator hasn't earned basic composition yet.

Me, with _very_ rare exceptions I try to keep things as plain-jane and stone-age as possible. I beleive very firmly in the use of simple language and structure, even though I often write quite complex stories. WUite often, simplicity conveys power.

That's not to say that your idea is _bad_; _please_ don't think I said that! I'd just maybe considering saving it for later, is all.

If you're interested, I've written a quarterly column on writing and the writing life for almost ten years; I'll be writing my last one and closing the series next month. An index of my articles (and some of my fiction, as well) can be found at:

http://tsat.transform.to/tsat/indices/creator.g.html

I was a beginner once, too, and my work grew better with time. Thus, I suggest that you read the newer columns first. They are far better than the older ones.
Velvet Karuda Leopard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I am a beginner writer. Sad But I have endless experience dreaming of these stories. I know that means nothing. I am saving the double personality one for later anyways cause I want that one to be high quality. This current idea should only be a short short story in the first place. I know it isn't all easy, that's why I wanted to join this forum, cause there seems to be people here who actually know about writing. I am not going to refuse anyones advice. I just want to write stories. They keep filling my head and I can't get them out. I even try to forget them, but they still stay there. I have like almost 40 story ideas written down. I know I can do them all, but I want at least one to come true.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes. I am a beginner writer. Sad But I have endless experience dreaming of these stories. I know that means nothing. I am saving the double personality one for later anyways cause I want that one to be high quality. This current idea should only be a short short story in the first place. I know it isn't all easy, that's why I wanted to join this forum, cause there seems to be people here who actually know about writing. I am not going to refuse anyones advice. I just want to write stories. They keep filling my head and I can't get them out. I even try to forget them, but they still stay there. I have like almost 40 story ideas written down. I know I can do them all, but I want at least one to come true.

Being a beginning writer is not sad; it is joyous! Welcome to our world! There is nothing on earth finer than the feeling that comes with completing and sharing a quality piece of art. Nothing! The "high" that finishing a tale gives me is pretty much what I live for these days. I hope you will come to enjoy it as much as I do.

Eventually, you're going to find that you _must_ refuse at least some of the advice of others, including mine. You'll receive _conflicting_ advice, for example, from people you trust. In the end, it'll have to be _your_ decision as to what to do. After all, the completed work will be under _your_ name. However, there's one rule of advice-taking that I hold close to my heart. I think Stephen King originated it, or else perhaps it was Robert Heinlein. That rule is:

"Don't _ever_ follow the advice of anyone whose writing you don't think is better than your own."

There are two reasons for this. First, why would you want your work to sound more like that of someone whose work you don't care for? And, second, it's a sad fact that the writer's forums are filled to bursting with frustrated self-appointed experts (like me!) who may or may not have Clue One as to what they're doing. This is part of why I pointed you to my work in my other post. If you don't like it, in my opinon you should politely thank me for my time, and then never take a single word of my advice. This doesn't mean we can't be friends or get along if you don't like my work; I have good friends who cordially hate my fiction. But, if you don't like my literary style, then why on earth would you want your own work to grow more like it?

So, in the end, you have to _beleive in yourself_. You'll have to learn when to take, and when not to take advice. Writing is a highly individual artform, and the resulting stories are an imprint of your own highly personal soul. In the end, it'll be _your_ talent that does or does not shine through. There are general rules to writing, like not repeating words in a paragraph, that pretty much everyone has to to follow; you'll find a lot of the ones I've learned about covered in my columns, and you probably won't succeed until you've learned how make them work for you. No writer does. But, the really important stuff, like creativity and originality, can come only from _you_.

Heh! I may cut and paste that last paragraph for my good-bye column...

Last edited by Rabbit on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Velvet Karuda Leopard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the uplift. The leoaprd gets sad easy sometimes. I am going to work on the outlineof the story a bit more later. I have to do some Ada programming now.
Nadan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvet Karuda Leopard wrote:
Yes. I am a beginner writer. Sad But I have endless experience dreaming of these stories.

It all starts with the dream. It does mean something. I'm not sure you can write good fiction without being a dreamer.

Quote:
I am saving the double personality one for later anyways cause I want that one to be high quality.

Write what comes to you. You can always write this story now, and then write something similar later when you are better. You can even revise something and re-release it (although I do not advise that attitude toward works you want to publish other than online.)

You will pass through stages in your writing as you grow and experiment. You will write stuff that makes you beam with pride, and others that will make you want to start a bon-fire with the work. You will write things that make you proud, and that re-reading 5 years later will make you wonder what you were thinking. You are writing stories about characters and snapshots of yourself. There's nothing wrong with growth and there's nothing wrong with going in spurts or stages. Just keep going. Smile

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Velvet Karuda Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. AnthonyTiger. I needed some cheering up. My first couple weeks of college have been rough for me. I am still going to work on this one story though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: