Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A series of fantasy short stories.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a few changes to grammar and reformatted it a bit. Ill be adding a new short as soon as I finish it. I’m a bit busy with my job lately, so it may take a while.

anyway, expect more at a later time, until then good night and sleep well.

Keny

Last edited by DragonWolf_keny on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh oh! I have a huge problem. I managed to get the interest of an editor. good news right. well not really? he wants twelve of these stories, and oh I shouldn't be showing these to anyone. oops!

I’m having a hard time believing his legitimacy. He seems like a salesman trying to get the rights to my work so he can change it to his ideas. I haven’t had any suggestions here to change the plot, or the subject, but he seems to be full of them. Confused

Last edited by DragonWolf_keny on Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got something at least half way drafted out. Its not really final yet but its a start.

anyways, its really the prologue for the first story and if I ever get around to publishing these works, it will be the first one in the book.

It really sets the world around the characters and should be the first one to read.

Since I decided to cut it from the first one, I really couldn’t just throw it away because it really was important to establish the setting. It also kind of in a weird way, became a story of its own by describing the origins of this city.

well I guess I should get to the point, I do apologize for it being out of order from the first, but here it is anyway.

Describing Valyah

Our stories take place in a world of untold wonders, the world of Valyah. It is a land of many peoples, endless forests, and gargantuan mountains. There are thousands of creatures beyond count; Dwarves, Gnomes, and Human, to name a few that inhabit this land. Dragons are a rare sight but not often all that unheard of. Truly though the marvels to behold are those of the semi unnatural monuments built by the peoples of Pinneb.

Pinneb is a great city so named by the gnomes that live within it. Its name comes from a phrase in their tongue meaning, “Skies hope”. A fitting name as some of it is in the very sky itself. It is an unusual sight to be sure; at first glance it appears to be a floating island atop a city, in a valley surrounded by tall mountains. One would only hope the island didn’t suddenly fall, as inhabitants of the city would surely be crushed.

Still, this floating isle is only one of the cities many spectacles. The four metal and stone bridges anchoring it to the mountains are not nearly as impressive as the huge tower, which rises up through the islands center and comes out of the top.

The wizard’s guild resides atop this tower. The wizard’s guild hall almost resembles the gnomish castle not too far from it, a mere walk down Alindria Avenue. Aside from the bridges, the tower is seemingly the only other way to reach atop the island. However, it is said there are other ways.

I was so taken by its mystery and brilliance when first I saw it; however its origins are even more mysterious than its appearance.

They say that one day a human wizard came to the island. She was so taken by its lush rivers and beautiful scenery, she decided to make it her home. So she ventured to the middle of the island. A place where it is claimed she chose because of the strong and mysterious forces she sensed there.

It is then, when the trouble began. she decided to try building a wizard’s tower for her home, but Instead of asking the help of her gnomish neighbors, she in turn decided to use magic. So she then cast several unpredictable spells, some of which she had little or no experience in using.

Rather than conjuring up a tower, instead she magically raised the entire island from the waters. Even still more a bit of a dilemma the now floating island, was drifting inland pushed by the wind. She now had to think quickly on stopping the island before it unleashed unspeakable terror on the unsuspecting world.

By this time the gnomes that were living on this island had become curious of what caused of the quakes they experienced, and the sudden lack of water on the horizon. So they began searching the island. and found the grove where the wizard had been practicing her magic.

Under much protest by his subjects, the king of the gnomes had seen the tears in her eyes and took pity on her. Thus he decided to help her.

working together, they worked out a plan. They would try to stop it from drifting, Rather than to try to put it back in the ocean. It was then decided, by using a nearby mountain range as an anchor they could settle the island. They decided to use the valley it currently resides as a suitable resting place.

Then using a series of gnome ingenuity and the wizard’s magic, they were able to find a way of steering the island into the grove. Although no one really knows how somehow, the gnomes were able to grapple and temporarily anchor the island in place.

They knew it would only be a mater of time before the winds would change, causing the island to drift again. So they quickly built four metal spires to permanently anchor it atop the valley that would some day become the great city. The spires were built out of the strongest metals they could mine with the aid of the dwarves that lived within the mountains. Then they built bridges on top of the spires, from rock quarried from the human quarries in the valley below. Thus the city soon grew in the place where the wizard had caused so much trouble.

Today, Gnomes mostly inhabit the upper city, as they were there on the island first. However, many men ruled by the great paladin king Alitarn inhabit the lower parts, as they had lived in the valley before the island settled above them. The dwarves mostly keep to themselves in the mountains, but some of them have taken to living and mining on the island. Together they form a melting pot of the many cultures that soon flocked to the great city.

To this day the city stands as an example to careless mages, and a reason to cooperate with your neighbors, as they might just move in. Now many folk dwarf, gnome, human, or others in nature dwell in the enchanted city. A regular bastion of adventure in itself, but still this is not where the first tale begins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: