Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanging's Too Good For Him.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Hanging's Too Good For Him. Reply with quote

...but when a friend hacks your server and shuts down the ISP, what options are left?

Its a long story:
My friend that helped set up my server has a disagreement with his girl friend. She works at the local tech center where the tiny ISP he runs (aka 6-girls) is located. But in the falling out; he gets kicked out and "fired" from the tech center.

He returns, taking some hardware that is questionable in ownership, as well as his own server. He switches the DNS to my server, so that the sites hosted by the isp are still up and running.

But in doing so, according to the logs, he adds some software that would essentually shut down the network. Mistake #1: Doing it on my server. Mistake #2: Not deleteing the logs (which I back up every night).

Days pass, time bomb goes off and my machine shuts down the ISP. Chaos rules, and my server gets the axe, and the rest of the network is in patchwork mode... some bits work, others dont.

I went there tonight (9pm EST) to see what in hell was going on... The tech center crew was there pulling their hairs out trying to repair the damage. Eventually, I put my server back on and the network went down again. But I was able to log into my server, and remove the offending prgram(s). Network's running again. 6-girls servers are running again, as is mine... Things will be "fixed" this weekend.

The damn thing is my server has 2 purposes; 1) run my services and host sites... and 2) run several honey pots to catch the local 3L3373 HaX0Rz and send the logs to a friend at the local FBI office. In the case of #2- its caught some (would be or wanna be) "powerful" ppl this past summer. With Computer Hacking now boosted up to as an act of terrorism, well... Its been 3 months now and I know(!!) some of these idiots have not seen their lawyers or a court room yet!

Now... my plight is- do I hang this (former) friend and send the logs myself, or let them see it later on when the trap is set for somebody else. The Tech Center owner wants to hang him... Eventually, when the trap is swet again and the logs sent, the FBI will see his handy work and will be asking if I want to press charges.

In the very least, I want to talk to him. But the rope has been wrapped around the tree and tied into a noose. Cooler minds must prevail.

But if all else fails...
Since he hacked my server, unfortunately for him; I will be serving the "dish best served cold."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang him out to dry.

some questionable activities there pal...

:onfire:

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang him high!

If he had a legitimate grudge against the others about being fired, he should have thrown a lawyer at them.

His actions are at best 'childish' and at worst a VERY serious criminal offense.

BTW: I believe WITHOLDING evidence of a crime is an offense...
(Read: the Feds might not like to find out about it later )

You want to have fun?
Press charges and talk to the judge. Try to get him banned from using a computer in the future...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Bearion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ain't no friend!

In fact, hosting the programs on your server caused everyone to look to you as the culpret. Or at the least, in cohoots.

Do the right thing. Hang him!

Bearion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, from what little I know of the law, they might consider you aiding and abetting if you DON'T turn him in, and they find out.

Schools frown on that sort of thing, accusation-wise, and they won't care if it's true or not. If you don't turn him in, you could find yourself unemployed at best.

Kinsfire

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it shall be done...
Back ups of my back up logs are being done as we speak, and copies sent to those involved and I'll be in NYC'c Central Park to choose the right size tree to perform the hanging...

What a diffence a week makes, read in the next post as to what I mean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> elfen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: