Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 3 HP:WOC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rava Purr-Fox
Princess Of PR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Chapter 3 HP:WOC Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Winds of Change
(Year Six Fan-Fic)

Disclaimer: This is a non profit fan-fiction piece. No money is being made from it.
Harry Potter, names, characters and related indicia are © and tm Warner Brothers 2000 +.
Any quotes from the Canon books are © Joanne K. Rowling 1997 +.
Special note that some of my non-canon facts come from “Acceptance of Fate” with permission from Jami.
So far I own my plot with tips from “J.K.R.’s World Book Day Interview.”
This is my guess/hope for the 6th book.

Chapter 3– Grimmauld Place

It took quite some time for everyone to clear out of the courtroom and move to Arthur Weasley’s new but temporary office. He hadn’t redecorated the office after Fudge’s arrest and removal after the vote of ‘No Confidence’ in light of his actions in the previous year. Being an intern Minister of Magic, Mr. Weasley had not felt it was right to spend Ministry money on a new office when his own replacement was only months away. The office instead stood as a testament to his predecessor’s stupidity.

Ron had taken great pride in showing Harry and Hermione the way into the office past the dozens of people working directly for Mr. Weasley. During the short lift ride and walk to it he’d expanded on what they both knew about Fudge’s actions at the Ministry. Ron found it particularly exciting to warn them of the tremendous waste of Ministry funds used on the private Minister’s office. Ron made a comment about ‘absolute power corrupts absolutely’. Hermione was impressed that Ron hadn’t screwed up the muggle saying.

When Harry and Hermione saw the room, despite Ron’s warnings, they were still flabbergasted. The whole room seemed to be one massive display of wealth and waste. From the oversized white marble topped mahogany desk to what looked like solid gold banker’s lamps and expensive, rare art pieces lining the walls. The hardwood floor looked like bright red cherry wood. Both Harry and Hermione were listening in astonishment as Ron and the twins told them about the solid gold, thrown-like chair his dad had already removed to the ministry’s vault at Gringotts and about the need to remove a few more of the heavier gold and jewel-encrusted objects in the next few days.

The conflicting color schemes were making Harry’s eyes hurt. Red floors clashed with the royal purple velvet drapes covering the fake windows. It ruined the beautiful daylight image of what looked like pictures he’d seen of Central Park in New York. The walls were a gaudy version of bright blue that shattered any redeeming effect the black marble fireplace would have had. Harry was certain of it now, most wizards were color blind.

Hermione was completely astonished to see the bookcases filled floor to ceiling with expensive and rare books, of which it was obvious Fudge had never even read the titles of. They ironically included books that covered the unfair treatment of some of the different races of magical creatures. Unfortunately none of them were on House Elves. The books grabbed Hermione’s attention and she wandered over to the desk with one such volume in her hands. Ron had rolled his eyes at her making the twins crack up laughing.

Harry’s attention was immediately grasped by the walk-in fireplace. He stared at it with loathing and with tremendous dread. The back of it was dark, black marble with white streaks running through it. His eyes became unfocused as he stared, as his vision blurred from the intensity of his stare the black stone began to shimmer. He barely noticed the small fire burning cheerfully at his feet. His eyes misted for a moment and it almost seemed like the Veil with the white specks winking at him. Memories of the voices from the veil started to whisper in his mind. He listened harder, shutting out the chattering of the people around him trying to hear any of the whispering voices clearly. Without realizing it he took a step forward and leaned in to touch the black wall behind the fire enclosure.

His attention was so completely focused on the mirage that he didn’t realize his hand was reaching in until he was touching the warm stone and the heat from the small fire was radiating towards his robes. The shock of the contact felt like a blow to his chest and served to bring him out of the trance. The sound of the conversations around him swelled up suddenly as the image disappeared from his mind along with the whispering voices from the Veil room. He withdrew his hand and then slowly turned his back to the fireplace.

The large group of Order members and Weasleys were still gathered in front of him. The fireplace was the only place in the ministry from where the group could Floo directly to headquarters. There were only four places in the world where the network could be accessed by someone leaving the Black Manor and this was the main one the Order was using at the moment since it was easy to keep track of. Only people that knew where the Headquarters was located could enter from these locations regardless because of the charm Dumbledore had cast.

Dumbledore picked up the small pot on the mantle and threw some of the powder into the fire. It changed from the very low cheery red and orange flames to dark green. He handed Harry the main key to 12 Grimmauld Place.

“You’ll need this to enter.” He explained to him with a very cheery twinkle in his eyes. “Once you get there, you must announce who you are and that you are the new master. After that you must tell the house it is still the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. Otherwise the house may not allow us to pass through.”

Harry just nodded and stepped into the green flames. His stomach clenched into a tight knot. He hated traveling by Floo powder, but worse was returning to the Black manor were Sirius had been a virtual prisoner last year. He didn’t want the house and now it would be his, every dreadful and dark corner of it. He still felt like he was forgetting something.

Harry steadied his fear and grabbed the powder from the jar Mrs. Weasley was holding out to him. “Number 12 Grimmauld Place, London!” He yelled clearly as he threw down the powder into the green flames. Instantly he began to fly through the network with nauseating speed, twists and turns, zipping past what seemed like hundreds of fireplaces before he stumbled out of the kitchen fireplace and fell to the floor unable to keep his feet.

He coughed several times as he cleared his mouth and nose of soot that always ended up everywhere when he traveled by the Network. Wiping at his cloak he looked around quietly. The kitchen looked cleaner then he remembered. Of course Mrs. Weasley usually was cooking a meal for at least ten people or had just finished making one when he’d been in the room before, but now everything was in its proper spot except for a single empty bottle of butterbeer lying on the floor near the kitchen door.

Harry took a deep breath. “Number 12 Grimmauld Place, I am Harry James Potter-Black. This is now my own home and everything within it belongs to me.” Harry waited for a moment wondering if there would be some signal that the house understood. The house suddenly felt a little less forbidding as if a cool, clean summer breeze had swept through the room. Harry exhaled with relief that at least the house wasn’t rejecting him.

“NO! I WILL NOT ALLOW MY HOUSE TO BE DEFILED BY MUDBLOODS OR HALF-BREEDS!” Mrs. Black’s portrait screamed. Harry couldn’t see her since she still hung in the main entrance to the house. “KILL HIM MY FAITHFUL SERVENT AND THE HOUSE SHALL BE OURS ONCE MORE!” She ordered someone on the other side of the Kitchen door.

Harry’s eyes opened wide fearing the house had allowed a few Death Eaters in while the will was being read. He quickly cried out. “This house is still the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. Allow all members to come and go as they please. Everyone else must have my permission to enter!” He pulled his wand out from his robes and pointed it at the door in time to see Kretcher enter the kitchen.

The mad House Elf looked at Harry in triumph. “Stupid boy is alone. Kretcher can easily do his mistress’s bidding. He is not a Black.”

Harry’s eyes blazed in anger. “Oh, but your wrong there you treacherous elf.” He sneered. He pointed his wand directly at the House Elf.

Kretcher’s blood-shot eyes narrowed. “Stupid boy is talking to Kretcher, but Kretcher is not going to listen to any blood traitor.” He began a staggering advance on Harry summoning a sharp carving knife from the knife block on the counter to his hand.

Harry saw Kretcher kick the empty bottle of butterbeer to the side, it was suddenly obvious to Harry that he was drunk. “Drop the knife you murdering bastard.” He growled. “You’ll never harm anyone again, through lies or actions!” Harry snarled again. He tightened his grip on the wand.

As much as he wanted to kill Kretcher he knew he needed to wait to find out if they still needed the House Elf before he could do anything to him. It really was a struggle to not just kill him. Rage and power licked at him urging him forward.

Kretcher stopped and looked horrified as his hand tried to drop the knife. His bonds to the house and to the Black family still held its sway over him. He was helpless, like all house-elves he could not resist a direct order from his new master.

“No! The stupid boy can’t give orders. He’s not a Black!” He fell to his knees sobbing helplessly and banging his head on the floor angrily. “I must kill the stupid boy for Mistress!” He got back up on his feet and began to close the distance towards Harry when the fireplace exploded with green flames and Dumbledore stepped through.

“Kretcher! Stop!” Dumbledore ordered. The house elf instantly fell back down to his knees and scooted over to a far corner.

“Nasty, evil wizard!” He hissed at Dumbledore. “He made me betray mistress. Oh, mistress was so mad. Poor Kretcher.” He cried to himself curled up in a ball of quiet sobbing.

Dumbledore drew his gaze to Harry, looking him over to make sure Kretcher hadn’t attacked him. Harry just looked back at him with blazing eyes. Dumbledore took a step back.

“Harry, we need to discuss Kretcher at a later time.” He said calmly.

Harry nodded his agreement. He hadn’t been expecting the elf to still be alive. He was angry that Dumbledore hadn’t warned him it could happen but he still couldn’t blame him. Harry had forgotten to ask about him. Turning to Kretcher he growled. “Stay away from me unless called. You are never to leave this house, ever again.”

Kretcher glared and snarled back at Harry but made no move to disobey. Harry smiled an evil smile. “You are never to talk to Mrs. Black’s portrait again either.” Kretcher let out a pained, bloodcurdling scream. He looked at Harry as if he’d asked him to cut off his own hands.

“Leave my sight, now!” Harry ordered him. Kretcher disappeared with a small popping sound. Dumbledore looked at him with great disappointment in his eyes.

Mrs. Black let out a triumphant, cackling laugh. Already annoyed after dealing with Kretcher and watching Dumbledore do nothing, Harry turned his back on Dumbledore walked towards the kitchen door with deadly purpose.

Mrs. Black’s eyes opened wide when she saw him step in front of her. Her eyes quickly narrowed as she looked Harry over. “How can you be here? This house has passed on to the next Black Heir.” She hissed at him.

Harry snarled at the woman, angrier then he could ever remember being. “I am the next Black heir… grandmother.” His face twisted into a look of rage that easily matched Sirius at his worst.

A look of complete horror washed over her face. One hand grabbed the edge of the painting trying to stop her image from falling down to the bottom. Her other hand was clutching her chest as if she was in severe pain. Had she been a real person Harry would have called for a medi-witch. He stood there with a look of contempt, worthy of Snape himself, plastered on his face.

“There has never been anything but a pure blood heir to the most Noble and Ancient House of Black! What has that filthy blood traitor done?” She cried out in what seemed to Harry as brutal anguish. He hoped her prejudices were choking her.

Harry could hear the other Members of the Order beginning to come through the fireplace. Harry knew he only had a minute or two left with Mrs. Black before the others would come and retrieve him.

His face twisted into an evil smirk. “I guess I’m the first. But I won’t be the last, you can count on it!” Harry glared at her one last time before closing her curtain and walking back into the kitchen. Mrs. Black was too shocked to fight back against him.

In the kitchen the group seemed to be waiting for him to come back. Dumbledore had sat down. Harry looked around at the group and locked gazes with Tonks. Her eyes were surprisingly a deep blue, not quite like Sirius’s but close enough to be a jolt for him.

She nodded to him slowly. “Wotcher Harry! When you’re done here, you and I need to talk.” She told him in the most serious voice he’d ever heard her use.

Harry nodded back. “Yeah, we should.” He turned to Remus. “You should be there too. You know more then I do about what he had in mind.” Remus nodded his agreement but kept silent.

Dumbledore looked back and forth between Harry and Remus before he cleared his throat. “Perhaps if everyone would sit down one of you could explain what happened at the will reading this morning.” He raised a brow over his half-moon glasses.

Everyone took the hint and quickly the seats around the table were taken up by the crowd of people. He noticed that Tonks’s parents weren’t among them but didn’t think much of it. A few of the members conjured chairs for themselves and joined them, save Mrs. Weasley who put on a pot of tea before joining the group.

Harry took a deep breath. “Ah, well I guess we could start by saying that I was sort of expecting some of that to happen but I was just as surprised as all of you about the extent of Sirius’s revelations.” He stumbled a little over Sirius’s name; it was still hard to say it without choking a little on the emotion.

Hermione seated next to him gave his hand a quick squeeze before letting go. He glanced at her quickly and flashed her one of his lop-sided smiles as a quick thank you. Looking at everyone else’s serious expressions he couldn’t help swallowing hard. He was growing nervous as they watched him in silence.

“Harry dear, when did Sirius adopt you?” Mrs. Weasley asked quietly, her eyes down cast, not looking at Harry but rather at her hands clenched tightly in her lap. Her voice betrayed how hurt she was that he hadn’t told her before the reading.

Harry winced, truly hurt by the betrayal he could feel flowing from her heart. “It’s not what you’re thinking Mrs. Weasley.” He explained, looking directly at her instead of at everyone else. “We didn’t do it by ourselves and then not tell anyone. He never asked, he just…” Harry paused and looked at Remus for support before continuing. “He wanted it so much, and he had the papers drawn up but he couldn’t file them so he just signed them and dated them.”

Dumbledore looked over at Remus thoughtfully. “I take it you witnessed the documents?” He asked him.

Remus nodded slowly. “Yes, at both signings.” He verified.

“I see.” Dumbledore said calmly. He placed his fingers together and leaned forward. “Please continue Harry.”

Harry shifted nervously in his seat. “He knew if anything happened to him that my guardianship could be placed in jeopardy if his will could be contested.” Harry explained. While he was talking to the whole group his eyes still didn’t leave Molly. She still looked hurt and upset but he felt a little better now that he could see her looking at him.

Everyone began to speak at once but Dumbledore held up his hand. The room fell silent. “Remus, perhaps you can explain for a few minutes about what Sirius was planning.”

Remus looked resigned but conceded. “Sirius felt extremely guilty for getting put in Azkaban instead of being out and able to take care of Harry because of his actions that night.” His face crinkled with sadness as he spoke. “He wanted to make it up to Harry but as he got to know Harry better he felt more and more as a parent rather then a guardian.”

Molly’s face darkened with anger. “He wasn’t the only one you know.” Her eyes glared at Remus since he was the only target she had for her feelings of disappointment and frustration.

Arthur quickly grabbed his wife’s hand and quieted her. “Not now,Molly. Let Remus explain what Sirius was doing first.”

Remus gave Arthur a thankful smile. Harry was worried about Remus. Molly’s anger was making him wince. He knew Remus always would worry what others thought of him. Harry couldn’t think of a more uncomfortable situation for him.

“I hate to say it but you were wrong, Molly.” Remus said quietly. “He wasn’t seeing Harry as his best friend returned. He was seeing him as the son he should have raised, just as his best friend asked of him.”

Molly’s lip quivered. Remus was quick to keep telling his story. “He was frustrated with his inability to help Harry when he needed it.” Remus looked around at the Order members. “Make no mistake. He was committed to the defeat of Voldemort. It didn’t matter to him what it cost. He was going to fight to win, just not for the same reasons as all of you.” He told them with a grim set to his features. Harry was surprised no one had gasped or seemed startled at Remus’s use of the Dark Lord’s name.

The looks on the faces of members reflected how well the people at the table knew Sirius. Harry noticed Dumbledore was smiling with a small look of deep understanding, as was Mr. Weasley, Tonks and Hermione. Mrs. Weasley, Ron and Moody looked confused. Ginny and the twins just looked interested in the story and a little star-struck. Harry figured the news Sirius was Padfoot was still overloading the twin’s brains and shorting out their regular wise-cracks.

Hermione spoke up. “He stopped fighting for revenge and started fighting for Harry.” She answered in a confident tone with the hint of a small, sad smile. Her hand again snaked out and gave Harry a quick squeeze of comfort. Harry gave her a small grateful smile for the support before his own features schooled into the calm mask he was trying to project to the group.

Dumbledore looked proudly over at Hermione. “A very accurate and insightful interpretation, Ms. Granger.” He said, nodding his approval.

Mrs. Weasley blinked. “Why do his reasons matter? We are all fighting so our children can have a better life then we did.” She pointed out.

Hermione answered her again before anyone could respond. “Because Sirius knew, better then anyone here, that Voldemort would never stop trying to kill Harry specifically.” She looked at Harry with some concern. “He knew that the prophecy was about Harry and Voldemort.”

Harry’s eyes grew wide in alarm. He shook his head a little trying to silently tell her to stop. She seemed to pick up on his signal just as Ron asked his question. “But no one heard the prophecy, right?”

Dumbledore cleared his throat. “No one heard it as it broke. The recording is gone. The ministry has no others.” Harry shot Dumbledore a quick look before schooling his features again. Harry could tell Hermione had noticed there obviously was more then what was being said. She had a look he knew meant she was filing questions to be asked later away in her mind. There were a few silent moments as everyone else seemed to take in what Hermione and Dumbledore had said. Dumbledore waved for Remus to continue.

Remus sighed deeply. “He wanted Harry to at least have what he hoped was a family. Other then the Tonks family, Sirius doesn’t…” He paused for a moment as his own grief washed through him. “I mean… didn’t… have any family either as far as he was concerned. He wanted Harry to feel like he belonged to a family the way Sirius felt about him. He loved Harry enough to want him as his son.” He paused. Tears had weld up in his eyes and he was having trouble choking them back.

Harry took over and Remus nodded gratefully. “So basically he changed his will with the intent of making me his son. He knew without the adoption papers there would be quite a few dark wizards that could have claimed the estate and me.” Harry explained quickly. “So he left the papers signed and dated with Remus. Last week he brought them over and asked me if I wanted to sign them.”

Molly looked appalled. “Asked you? Do you know the legal ramifications involved?” She sputtered. “Why the privileges and matters of honor required for an estate this large are humongous!” She cried as she stood and splayed her hands on the table.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. “Now, Molly, Harry was going to have to deal with all of that next year anyway. He was going to inherit his own estate and gain the rights and privileges of the Potter Estate. He is still a minor, the privileges and honor matters will still fall to his guardian.”

Harry raised his brow and watched as Dumbledore calmed Molly down. The gentle reminder that the children were nearing adulthood seemed to take the steam from her temper. She sat back with a little defeat in her eyes. Her goal of keeping the children from growing up too fast became a lost cause she knew she could not stop from happening any longer. Still she couldn’t help but try. “Dumbledore we can’t just sit back and…”

Hermione turned and watched Harry closely. He could see her eyes narrow and he turned towards her with an innocent look, ignoring the adult end of the table. Ginny who was watching the two of them giggled softly.

“What’s so funny?” Ron hissed at her, just loud enough that Harry could hear since he was paying more attention to Ginny and Ron then on the adults.

Ginny smirked. “Harry is hiding something and Hermione wants to know what.” Looking over she could see Harry roll his eyes and shrug his hands.

Remus gave the teenagers and stern look. The twins gave him a cheeky grin but the rest were quiet as they listened to the rest of the conversation between the Weasleys and Dumbledore.

“But Dumbledore,” Molly pleaded. “We can’t dump that much responsibility on Tonks.” She contested the only way she knew how. ”There will be some major ramifications politically if Tonks makes that vote in the Circle of Lords for Harry! She’s an auror! That alone will be a problem! Harry is going to need someone who understands the legal ramifications regarding all this.”

Harry perked up. “So instead of Sirius making two votes, do I now have those two votes or does Tonks?” He asked confused. He knew as an underage wizard he couldn’t vote.

“What votes?” Ron asked. Ginny smacked Ron and whispered in his ear. Ron turned a bright red and sunk down in his seat.

“As the heir to both the Black and Potter families you, through Tonks, now hold two votes in the Circle of Lords.” Dumbledore began to explain. “There has only ever been one instance where a single person has ever had this amount of power within the circle in their own right. Sirius’s position of guardian over a second vote was not unique.”

“What happened, Professor?” Hermione asked.

“Well, the man had two minor sons, so he of course was assassinated immediately and his sons where separated, one given the name Malfoy after the father and the other given the name Nott named after the mother. All this happened before the Circle could even consider sitting to discuss the matter.” Dumbledore explained, his eyes twinkling with a hint of mischief. “Of the original twenty-one votes in the circle only three names have not changed in the centuries since it began.”

Hermoine’s brow furrowed as she thought back to her lessons in History of Magic. “The Black's, Longbottom's and Wither's.” She lifted her head and gasped. “But that doesn’t mean they’ll try to take the Black vote from Harry does it?” Her hand flew to her mouth and she looked at Harry with eyes widened even further.

Dumbledore was again looking very impressed with Hermione’s deductive reasoning. Remus looked rather uncomfortable but everyone else seemed to be waiting with baited breath.

Dumbledore nodded to the clever witch. “No matter what happens they can’t take the Black vote away from him. Sirius saw to that when he adopted him. As to the Potter Family vote there has been no challenges in the past fifteen years, I see no reason why there would be one now.”

Harry looked back and forth between Hermoine and Dumbledore. “Why try to take away one of my votes in the Circle?”

“There is no legal standing in the system on what to do in this case.” He sat there with his eyes twinkling, “That is unless Mr. Potter has two children I am unaware of…” Dumbledore left the statement wide open. The Weasley children barely kept their snorts and laughter contained. Most of the adults were trying hard to keep their smiles behind their hands. Even Molly seemed amused.

Harry blushed a deep red and slid down in his seat. “No professor.” He choked out, very softly.

Dumbledore rose quietly and smiled. “Well then I believe that is quite enough for now.” He said, dismissing the meeting. “I think we should change the Order meeting from later this week to tomorrow evening here at headquarters.”

Moody glared over at Harry. “I guess since he is the owner he’ll want to setup some ground rules as Sirius did.”

Harry looked startled. “Ah well…” He paused and thought for a moment of all the things he could demand from them. He knew he’d not be allowed in the Order, they’d meet somewhere else first before allowing him to join before next summer. Still he wanted Hermione and Ron’s input before he closed the deal. “I’ll think about it, and I’ll let the Order know tomorrow about the terms of using the house.”

Molly looked like she wanted to say something but thought better of it when her husband squeezed her hand and helped her to her feet. Dumbledore looked back at Harry with a concerned look. “Perhaps we should discuss your terms tomorrow at six o’clock? That way I can present them to the Order for a vote before we begin the meeting tomorrow.”

Harry gave him a cheeky grin. “Don’t worry, Professor. I know the limits and I only have a few little concerns that I’m sure you’ll understand about…” He paused and tried to look serious. “Like the Order not using the kitchen during meal times or eating us out of house and home.”

Dumbledore chuckled and nodded before he was once again cornered by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Moody, who were all discussing the ramifications of Harry being left in Tonks’ care. During the conversation that was brewing the twins dragged Remus into the library. Harry couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for Moony now that the twins knew of his past.

He was caught off guard when Hermione pulled him aside behind one of the cupboards. Ginny gave her a knowing smirk before she steered Ron towards the parlor so Hermione could talk to Harry privately.

“Alright, Harry, I want some answers.” She said in the same tone of voice she used when Harry admitted he hadn’t finished his homework. McGonagall would be proud of how stern she sounded.

Harry sighed, knowing there was no way he could make any lie believable enough to get by her. “What do you want to know?”

Hermione narrowed her eyes. Harry swallowed nervously. “Why did you not want me to talk about the prophecy?”

Harry closed his eyes. Hermoine was always able to read him like one of her library books. He hated the way she always could cut through the mysteries and get right to the bottom of things when he didn’t want her to. “It’ll take too much time to discuss it here now. I promise I’ll tell you when the three of us are together.”

She looked at him expectantly. “What about Ginny, Neville and Luna?”

Harry opened his mouth in surprise. “Uh. I guess they should be involved too since they were there and risked their lives because of it. But I think the three of us should discuss it first… and maybe Ginny since she’ll be around this summer.” He added, ashamed he hadn’t thought of the other trio involved in the Ministry.

Hermione nodded in understanding before plowing right ahead. “So what was that look at Dumbledore about? Or is that about the prophecy again?”

Harry was astounded yet again by her ability to put things together so quickly. She was quicker with information then he was at thinking on his feet during a duel; it was scary sometimes.

“That’s it pretty much.” He told her.

“Honestly Harry! How long did you think you could keep us out of the loop?” She badgered him.

Harry shrugged. “To be honest things have been moving so fast I didn’t really have much time to think about everything. I was planning on telling you as soon as we can arrange to all get together without the adults breathing down our necks.”

Hermione looked deep in thought for a moment before she nodded. “I’ll set up a visit to Diagon Alley for next week during the day.”

Harry nodded in agreement. “I need to pick up a few things there anyway. Remus said something about inspecting the vaults at Gringotts. I imagine he’ll let me spend some time out with all of you privately, someplace like the Leaky Cauldron since it has private rooms and no one will know I’m there.”

Hermione looked satisfied with his answers. They walked back towards the main group. It didn’t take Mrs. Weasley long to gather up Ron, Ginny and Hermione. It still took several hugs and promises to behave before Mrs. Weasley let Harry go and left with her family, minus the twins.

Turning, he found himself alone with Tonks. He nervously worried his lip while she stared at him. She looked a little nervous herself; Harry had never seen her hair that dark black color before and her eyes were a very dark stormy blue. Her resemblance to the Black family for once was very evident.

“What am I supposed to do with you?” She asked him. “I mean I’m a bloody Auror! It’s not like I’m home a lot.” She looked at him with an anxious and frazzled stare.

Harry shrugged and looked down at his overly worn trainers and poked his toe through the hole in the tip. “I guess we should go save Remus and read Sirius’s letter then, huh?” He mumbled.

Tonks sighed and nodded. Waving for Harry to go first she followed in step behind him down the hall. As they neared the library the voices of the twins echoed down the hallway.

“But you had to have known” One of the twins was yelling.

“Of course we would want someone of your obvious talents on staff!” cried the other.

“Think of all the pranks that could be pulled off by hundreds of students thanks to your brilliance!”

Remus laughed. The sound startled both Harry and Tonks who had never heard such a happy sound come from Remus before. Even without looking inside the room Harry knew Remus would be grinning from ear to ear.

“And what would be the point of that?” Remus asked the twins. “We used to work very hard on our pranks. They had to be original!” He chuckled. “If we do the work for them then what’s the point?”

The twins cackled evilly. “Why to ruin ol’ Snape’s day of course!”

Harry laughed and opened the doors. “I have to admit that would make my day. I’d love to see Snivillus get what’s coming to him.”

Remus grinned widely, looked at Tonks and raised a brow before questioning her. “What do you think, Tonks? Should I help the students against the teachers?”

Tonks flashed him a big smile. “You’ll only regret it during the Order meetings when McGonnigal is here.” She reminded him. “I guess it depends on how much you hate Snape.” She smirked.

Harry could just imagine how much he hated Snape. If it had been him Harry would never have been so restrained against someone who had been as nasty as Snape had be to Remus his whole life.

Remus pretended to think about it. “I guess you have a consultant then, gentlemen.” He grinned and placed his hand out. Both twins rushed forward and shook his hands rapidly.

After many promises of meetings set for the following afternoon and a few threats, the twins finally were pushed into the fireplace with their book as promised by Sirius, retrieved from the library.

Harry couldn’t help but laugh at Remus’s masterful handling of the troublesome red-headed duo. It was easy to see how much influence he must have been capable of when the Marauders roamed the hallways and corridors of Hogwarts. Harry could now see why Dumbledore had appointed him a prefect and why Lily had been disappointed at what seemed to be a lack of control over both Sirius and James. It was obvious now that he had reined them in more than it had appeared to outsiders.

Harry took a seat on the black, old fashioned leather couch by the antique looking fireplace and tried to wait patiently. His leg bounced a little as he tried to keep the nervous energy from showing too much. Tonks cleared her throat, looking a little uncomfortable. She waited for Remus to turn his attention to them. “I guess we should discuss what is going to happen in regards to Harry now.” Tonks stammered nervously. She very carefully sat down on the arm of the couch.

Remus nodded and leaned back against the edge of the mantle. “I guess so.” He looked over to Harry who was watching everything with wide, questioning eyes.

Tonks bit her lip and turned her head so she could look back and forth between the two. Steadying her gaze on Remus she began her questioning. “So what was Sirius’s plan?” She asked, regaining a little authority in her voice.
Remus unfolded a letter from his breast pocket of his robes and handed it to Tonks.

For Harry the next several minutes felt like a hundred years as he waited for Tonks to finish reading. Remus tried sending him a few sympathetic smiles which made Harry even more apprehensive. It suddenly occurred to him that Tonks was truly in charge of his welfare. She had the power to decide what would happen to him. He didn’t know her very well but he did like what he did know.

He reviewed what he did know about her. She was an auror, a strong fighting member of the Order of the Phoenix and someone who normally treated all the children as equals. The only time Harry could remember being angry with her had been when he was angry at the Order in general, but never with just her. Her age, attitude and her ability to morph her looks to that of a teenager meant that the students had never felt like they had to hide from her. Last Christmas he had enjoyed her company almost as much as he had Sirius and Lupin’s. Hermione, Ginny and Tonks had bonded well then, he remembered. If there was one thing Harry had learned it was Hermione was rarely wrong. Lockhart of course was an exception.

Tonks finally lowered the piece of parchment staring off into space as if lost in thought. She absently handed the two page letter to him. Harry took the parchment and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. She turned her body facing him and watched very closely as he began to read.

Dear Tonks, Dec 12th, 1995

I know this must come as a bit of a shock to you. I should have discussed leaving Harry in your care, and I’m sorry I did not. I know how loyal you are to Dumbledore and the Order but it was important to hide this from him until it was too late for him to meddle with it. I don’t want you to think I want you to be disloyal to your oaths but as you are aware I don’t like the position the Order is placing Harry in. I had a higher oath then that of the Order to look after and I now ask you to fulfill that oath. It is your turn to protect him until he’s of age to legally decide for himself and you are going to need help. I promised James I would see to it. It was a Blood-bound oath. Remus took it as well, but he is bound to Lily. How I wish I had known of it, but Lily was always the smartest witch I knew and she hid it from everyone as an extra protection. Because of it you can always count on him above that of anyone else in the Order. His priority will always be Harry. The well intended Order members need to remember their ideas of safety might not be the best course.

Hermione once told me something I want you to remember, for it struck a cord deep in my heart and filled it with dread whenever I thought of the Order and its policies regarding Harry. She told me “Muggles have a saying ‘The road to Hell is paved with good intentions’.” She was so right about everything. She warned us this past summer that Harry was going to be angry and hurt by the useless amount of information he was given and more so when he found out she and Ron had been at the house most of the summer. At times I swear I can see Lily watching me through her eyes. I think her disapproval of me would hurt me more then Molly’s ever could. I never understood why Lily allowed me to be Harry’s godfather so easily. I just hope she’ll forgive me for leaving him alone so long. At least Remus watched from a distance until he knew Harry needed him.

There are so many things I wish I could do differently. One is to leave Harry’s well-being to Remus. You know his condition means I legally can’t. I am asking you to represent Harry when necessary but defer to Remus whenever possible on pretty much all things. I know as an auror you are more then capable of making good choices but Harry’s well-being is more important then Dumbledore’s plan allows for, in my opinion. James would never have wanted his son to live with the Dursleys but Dumbledore won’t allow or listen to any other alternatives.

I want Harry to be happy as well as strong. Dumbledore seems so set in his ways and Molly, while I know she wants what’s best for him, doesn’t understand him at all. Harry doesn’t need a full-time mother anymore. He needs people he can trust. Dumbledore’s methods are going to drive him mad if he has even a fraction of his mothers temper. From what I saw this past summer I’d say in that respect he is truly his mother’s son. Lily’s temper was the one thing James and I both feared. She could literally start a fire with her eyes when she got angry.

He knows his life is in danger, he just doesn’t understand why. He needs to know. If he doesn’t by now know of the prophecy in the Department of Mysteries then please tell him as I wanted to last August.

Ask Harry what he wants to do as far as living arrangements. I would like for him to live with Remus and you at Grimmauld place as much as he can stand as it is the safest place in England I can think of. At the same time I don’t want Dumbledore to lock him up as he has done to both of us this past year.

I need you to pledge yourself to Harry first. He is the most important part of this war. Not for the reason Dumbledore believes, but because despite it all he is everything the Magical community should be. He is going to be a nexus for the coming war, but he still deserves to live his life as he sees fit. At thirteen he was the most mature and courageous young man I had ever met. At whatever age he is now I am sure he is still the best this world has to offer. Please treat him as an equal, not as a child. That is something he has never been allowed to be since James and Lily were killed. It is demeaning to treat him as such when he has faced more then many of the Order members themselves.

Remus knows my wishes. Please see that Remus is in charge of his care. I know of no one else more suited.

Love, Sirius.

Harry looked up. “So what are you going to do?” He asked quietly.

Tonks shifted uncomfortably. “I don’t know that I can go against Dumbledore’s wishes, Harry.” she told him, honestly. “But Sirius and I are related by blood. His oath to James is a matter of honor. As an honorable Black Family Member and you’re guardian, I can’t just ignore that.”

Remus cleared his throat. “You know why Sirius felt the way he did.” He told her sternly. His voice sent a small shock up Harry’s spine. The tone held a frosty edge.

Tonks’ face scrunched up in concentration. “I know he had his reasons and so do you, but Dumbledore…”

“Dumbledore is not all knowing or seeing.” Harry cut in. His own voice now held an edge of his own. “I know the saying Sirius spoke of. I have often wondered just when it was that Tom snapped and choose his path instead of mine.”

Both Remus and Tonks turned to him in surprise. The hard edge felt like glass being raked across a chalkboard and his words were grating and hard. Harry’s anger was coming back. The pain of possibly watching someone else die because of his actions or because of misinformation given to him poured out of him. His eyes were as hard as the emeralds they resembled. “You are going to have to decide if anyone else’s life is worth losing because of secrets, because I don’t know just how much more I can stand.”

Tonks recoiled as if slapped. She couldn’t keep looking into his eyes and, backing away, she fell backwards onto the floor. The anger and rage was too intense. She looked up at her feet. “We…we didn’t know you’d go to the Department of Mysteries.” She told him, uncertainly.

“Funny that.” Harry told her coldly, staring down at the prone auror. “I didn’t know it was important enough to tell Dumbledore about, not that he’d have seen me, since he cares about me so much.” He sneered.

Tonks again recoiled from his anger, moving further back. She couldn’t understand how this teenager could get her so off her game with a few angry words. She just stared at Harry with a helpless expression and a little fear when she realized Harry was barely holding his grief and magic in check. His wand was still strapped to his arm but the power behind his eyes was flashing.

Remus muttered “Intumesco adficico”. Reaching out he touched Harry’s shoulder and gripped it steadily. In that second Harry seemed to instantly back down and regain some control over his magic and temper. Harry turned to see Remus’s eyes glowed dark amber, he snarled in an animalistic way, squeezing Harry’s shoulder tightly in his grasp before his eyes slowly bled back to their normal honey color. Harry watched mesmerized by the power and control, never realizing the danger he had been in. Remus moved away quickly leaving Harry’s shoulder stinging as blood rushed back into his shoulder and arm.

Tonks quickly regained her feet during their exchange. She looked Remus over with a raised brow. “Emotion draining?” She asked him carefully, watching for any signs of danger from the normally passive werewolf. Remus took several deep breaths but nodded slowly. His frame still held signs of emotions he’d taken from Harry. His movements were quick with raw power that he normally didn’t possess this far from a full moon.

Harry turned to him with concern; he was shaking his arm trying to get rid of the lingering effects of the blood loss to his fingers. “You shouldn’t have done that.” He told him, helping him to sit down next to him on the couch. “You have enough of your own grief to deal with. You certainly don’t need mine!”

Remus sighed and looked at him with pain filled eyes. “And you have more then anyone should ever have to carry.” He took several more shaky gulps of air. “It was more then I expected to face.”

Tonks knelt down in front of them and stared deeply at the two before her. “So what is it that you want Harry?” She asked him sincerely.

Harry gave them both a sad lopsided grin. “If we are going to live here can we at least make this house less dreary?” Harry asked hopefully.

Tonks grinned evilly. “I’ll agree to that, but only if I get to pick you up some decent clothes for a change.”

Harry blushed but agreed.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's shaping up quite nicely, every bit as good as the best fanfic I've read elsewhere - and Kinsfire introduced me to some very good stuff Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, If I hadn't known this was a fanfic I'd have sworn it was an excerpt from the book excellently done.

Rava Purr-Fox
Princess Of PR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blush* Thanks guys. I'm playing around with other styles to find my own comfort zone. JKR is one of the few writers out there where when I read her work I dont have to go back over it to understand what is happening in places.

(Except when she uses unfamilliar English slang or terms, Took me the longest time to figure out why the were pulling overal over their heads *aka jumpers)

HUGS

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, it took me a while to figure out what the hell "dustbins" were Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: