Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 4 HP:WOC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rava Purr-Fox
Princess Of PR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4 HP:WOC Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Winds of Change
(Year Six Fan-Fic)

Disclaimer: This is a non profit fan-fiction piece. No money is being made from it.
Harry Potter, names, characters and related indicia are © and tm Warner Brothers 2000 +.
Any quotes from the Canon books are © Joanne K. Rowling 1997 +.
Special note that some of my non-canon facts come from “Acceptance of Fate” with permission from Jami.
So far I own my plot with tips from “J.K.R.’s World Book Day Interview.”
This is my guess/hope for the 6th book.

Chapter 4– Gifts and Meetings

Harry and Remus both had been a little concerned when Tonks came back from her shopping trip. She told them she’d gotten them both a new wardrobe and had looked a little too enthusiastic about it. Taking another quick look at her green hair they both gulped and followed her into the sitting room.

Tonks took the shrunken bags from her bulging pockets. The little bags quickly became a huge pile that filled the sitting room floor as she enlarged them to the regular size. She sorted and placed them into three piles. One was for Remus, one for Harry, and one that they were not to touch until she got back from one last chore she wanted to do upstairs. Harry figured she wanted to freshen up after the marathon shopping trip when he heard the pipes rattle above him for the second floor bathroom.

Taking advantage of her absence, they un-wrapped their packages. Both were amazed by the amount of clothing and range of stylish outfits she’d picked out. They agreed not to ask how she knew they wore boxers and or even how she’d known what sizes to get them. All the pants, shirts and robes looked to be tailor-made for them except the muggle clothes from Harold’s.

Remus was shocked at the quality of the cloth, he couldn’t remember a time when he’d had such quality. His own robes were constantly patched from encounters with his wolf side during a full moon. He’d looked like he was about to have a heart attack when he saw the prices on the bill until Harry laughed and reminded him of how much he had in his Gringotts vault. It took a few moments but his breathing returned to normal then his laughter joined Harry’s.

When Tonks came back down she looked fresh and was smiling brightly. “Well what do your think?” She asked looking at the piles of clothes draped over the chairs. Her eyes were dancing with excitement. “Hermione and Ginny helped me pick out the right colors and the right styles for you both. Hermione said she’d heard enough about fashion from her roommates that she could quote the past three years of Paris styles in her sleep!”

Harry looked shocked. “Hermione went with you?”

Tonks nodded. “Yup! She took me to Muggle London for some of the clothes she said you needed for anytime you’re not in the magical world. Then we met up with Ginny and spent a great deal of time at Diagon Alley.” She looked over at Remus. “She suggested a few Muggle things for you too, Moony. The girls didn’t trust my sense of style.” She chuckled and winked.

Remus shook his head, his mouth turned up at the corners. “I must say she knows what I like but I’m still surprised you both knew what I needed and then some!” His face flushed with a little more color then Harry was used to seeing on his face.

Tonks smiled a little shyly. “Well we both decided right from the start since Harry needed everything that we’d assume you did too. Neither of you has had a new wardrobe in a long time so we figured we’d start from scratch…” She picked up a pair of pants from Harry’s pile and one from Remus’s. “When we grabbed Harry jeans, we grabbed some for you too. You get the idea.”

Remus nodded his head not quite looking Tonks in the face either. His finances had been tight in the past several years and robes just hadn’t been a priority. Staying with Sirius for company in Headquarters, and helping with the Order didn’t require him to have nice clothes. Sulking around Knockturn Alley was easier when one didn’t stick out as a mark for thieves.

A light blush crept across Harry’s cheeks at the thought of his friends and Tonks discussing his lack of proper clothing. He knew it was true but it didn’t make the situation any less embarrassing. He wasn’t sure how he felt about Hermione helping Tonks pick out his boxers of all things. He bit his lip. “I could have gone myself you know.”

Tonks smiled pretending not to notice their blushes. “Next week when you go shopping with your friends you can get anything we missed.” She told Harry. “It’s not that we don’t think you couldn’t have done it on your own, but we figured since guys hate shopping and we girls love it, we’d save you the trouble of extensive fittings and such.” She grinned widely.

Remus cleared his throat. “Speaking of which how did you know…” He trailed off looking at the tailored trousers from Madame Malkin’s in his hands.

Tonks grin widened. “Wouldn’t you love to know…“ She teased.

Harry swallowed nervously. “Ah, well actually since I’ve never had new stuff… I don’t even know what size I’d wear… so how?”

She gave him a sympathetic smile. “Hermione found a sizing charm in a sewing book at the Burrow last night.” She explained. “No need to measure inseams that way.” She winked at the two relieved males. “Before she headed home from the Burrow, she fire called me. We talked for a bit about a few girl things. I told her about you agreeing that I could go shopping for some clothes for you and I asked her and Ginny to join me today. That’s when she looked up the spell to cast last night so we’d get the right sizes. I hit you both with it last night.”

Turning to Remus she picked up one of the robes. “This dark grey robe is made of a fabric that will automatically fix itself.” She ripped one of the seams open for him so he could see the fabric begin repairing itself a few seconds after the tearing stopped. “Hermione suggested we get it for you so that you don’t need to worry about fixing it constantly after a full moon.”

Remus was surprised and very happy with the added enchantment. He leaned over and kissed Tonks on the cheek. “Thank you so much. I am going to have to get Hermione something special for her birthday as a thank you for all her thoughtful suggestions.”

Tonks blushed. “It was fun. I haven’t had that much fun shopping for a long while. Even if Ginny did talk me out of getting leather pants for you both. But she did talk me into adding some extra charms to your clothes, too, Harry.” She smiled. “Your clothes will lengthen up to eight inches and allow for you to gain up to about thirty pounds.”

Harry looked down at his stomach with a puzzled look. “I never gain more then a few pounds at Hogwarts. Too many staircases and Quidditch practice.”

Remus snorted. “Ginny isn’t thinking about you gaining weight the way your cousin does I imagine.”

Tonks nodded. “That’s what I thought when she said to make sure we allowed for extra poundage. I thought she was nuts! Madame Malkin thought it was a good idea too since you’re sixteen and should fill out across the shoulders once you reach your full height.” Harry looked a little bewildered. Tonks just turned and picked up the first of the bags behind her.

She sat down on the only non-covered chair and waved them both over. “There were a few things that Hermione talked me into getting. Once she explained why I decided I wanted to buy them for you. You’d never be able to get these since you’re not an auror. I think you’ll agree with them, Remus.” She looked at him as if seeking his approval.

Remus looked over at the bags she’d placed in the third pile. “I imagine that’s all Auror grade protection gear.” He said carefully. He seemed to be weighing the situation.

Tonks nodded and carefully watched them both. Harry watched her curiously. “Hermione and I talked for a long while at lunch today just before Ginny joined us.” Harry bit his lip and breathed deeply working on staying calm. Harry couldn’t help but wonder what Hermione might have let slip to Tonks. He trusted her to keep his secrets.

Tonks continued looking more at Remus then Harry, missing his worried look altogether. “She convinced me to get a few things for you and your friends that went to the Department of Mysteries.” She told him.

Harry looked surprised. “Auror protection gear? She thinks we need that?” He was shocked that Hermione would think that far ahead. Sure they always managed to find trouble every year. Voldemort was Harry’s biggest problem most years but not every year.

Tonks smiled when she pulled out what looked like a black set of tights with three quarter length sleeves and a seam across the waist that went all the way around. “I know it doesn’t look like something a guy would wear but believe me; all Aurors do suit up when we go on missions.” She held it out to Harry. “It protects against lower level charms, any summoning charms or transfigurations against your body, reduces the effectiveness of other spells like stunning or blaster curses.”

He took it hesitantly. He was surprised by the soft leather feel of the bodysuit. It was cool to the touch but seemed to absorb the light. “What is it?”

“It's Dragon body armor.” Tonks told him. “It can protect you from lower level jinxes, curses or charms, some transfigurations too. It is form fitting and the seam comes apart to allow you to get in and out of it. The seam is charmed to never come apart in battle. It only works with your wand. Even if your wand is broken a piece of it will be required to remove the armor.”

“Like a zipper?” Harry asked.

Tonks laughed. “Exactly like a zipper.” She patted Harry on the back beaming.

Remus whistled softly, very impressed. “That’s some very expensive protection and extremely hard to get a hold of if you aren’t registered with the Ministry to buy it.” He nodded his approval to Tonks. “Even Arthur would have trouble justifying the purchase for him, even with Voldemort after him.”

Tonks nodded and smiled back. She was happy Remus wasn’t upset about the armor. Harry could get in a little hot water for having it if he got caught, but Tonks herself would be the one who would be in serious trouble if anyone ever found out about them. For the first time she looked to be at ease with the idea of guardianship of Harry.

She continued on. “Not only that but I have a few more things to go with it.” She pulled out a black leather jacket. It looked like an old bomber jacket from World War II.

Harry couldn’t believe the gifts. He hadn’t received this many in his life. He was totally speechless. Without a word but his eyes popping he reached out and took the heavy jacket, feeling the very soft lamb wool lining.

Remus chuckled but the smile didn’t reach his eyes. They looked clouded with pain. “I see you remembered Sirius’s old leather jacket.” His eyes glazed over as a memory seemed to take hold of him for a moment. Harry’s head snapped up from the jacket to Remus.

Tonks shook her head. “It’s not Sirius’s but I borrowed a picture from your photo album yesterday and transfigured the look of the jacket.” She handed the picture back to a surprised Harry. “It’s Dragon leather too. It can help ease the force of a stunning spell from behind on its own. With the dragon armor you stand a better chance of turning one away entirely. This however is public grade dragon hide so not as effective as the armor.”

Harry finally found the ability to speak again. “And you got all this for me?” He asked in a breathless state of disbelief.

Tonks just smiled. She knew Harry was overwhelmed. After his upbringing she imagined it was a little hard to accept that people wanted what was best for him.

“Well I have a Dragon skin wand holster to replace the one on your arm and the Dragon hide boots are only mid calf since the body armor comes down to your ankle. They also have room for a backup wand and a short knife or a triple vial holster. The belt has a removable sword sheath which I’d rather you left in your trunk until you know how to use one or Dumbledore lets you borrow Godric’s again...” The three of them chuckled at that. “The last item I don’t want to catch you not wearing. It’s a backup wand I had Mr. Ollivander pick out for you.”

Harry’s eyes were ready to bulge out of his head. “Does anyone know I have all this stuff?”

“Only the three of us know and Mr. Ollivander did know... He no longer does.” She told him sternly. Her voice held an edge to it.

It took Harry less then a second to catch the meaning of her words. “You obliterated him?” He asked shocked.

Tonks nodded. “The rest of the merchants believe I was getting replacement pieces for existing members of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. So no one knows the extent of your personal protections, and I’d rather it stayed that way. You may tell Dumbledore as he’ll figure it out I imagine but for heavens sake don’t tell McGonagall or Molly!” She told him forcefully.

“Ok.” He managed weakly. He was overwhelmed by the amount of Dragon hide in front of him. He figured he had half a Dragon skin there.

Tonks nodded. “Legally you shouldn’t have a backup wand but seeing as Voldemort’s wand and yours do funky things to one another it seems likely he will want to take it from you the next time you come face-to-face.” She sighed.

Harry winced at the reminder. “I imagine he’ll do something similar to what he did at the Ministry and try to get someone else to kill me for him.”

Tonks and Remus nodded grimly. “Well that’s not going to happen if I can help it.” She told him. She looked tired and a little defeated. “Hermione can be very convincing when she chooses to be. But whatever you do don’t let Neville or Ron mention those clothes in front of anyone else!” She looked a little worried when she bit her lip. “Hermione is going to make sure Ginny understands the full extent of what his means. Luna, well she’s just weird enough she could tell the truth and no one would believe her. But even Hermione is not to know about that wand, understood?”

She watched as Harry took in all the information and then quietly nodded his head. The look of acceptance was all the assurance she needed. Quietly she motioned to Remus. “I think you should discuss with Harry those ideas you had last night about the restrictions he should add to the Order for use of the house.” She winked.

Remus gave her a hard look but nodded curtly. “Perhaps you shouldn’t be present since it would put you in a difficult position.”

Tonks looked hurt but nodded her understanding. “Tonks,” He called. When she looked back at him with a down cast expression he smiled at her. “This was more then anyone could expect from you. Everything is going to be fine.” She gave him a grateful smile before she walked out the door and purposefully closed it behind her.

Harry went upstairs to his old room on the second floor soon after to put on some of the new clothes before his private appointment with Dumbledore. It occurred to him that he’d forgotten to ask Hermione and Ron about their thoughts last night. Then again he hadn’t expected the Weasleys to leave right after the talk in the kitchen.

Remus’s suggestions were a little more then Harry expected to get away with, but the restrictions to himself and his friends that Remus suggested were things he could live with and he figured he could get more out of Dumbledore with them then he could have otherwise. He wasn’t all that skilled at Occumatry, but he wasn’t going to be trying to lie to Dumbledore.

Harry still felt that Hermione at least could have added some suggestions that would have been exceptionally clever and gotten even more from the Order. Ron’s suggestions would more likely have something to do with being added to the Order and that was not an option. Remus told Harry that even Sirius hadn’t wanted that for him yet, after graduation would be soon enough to join. Until then the best thing they could all do was stay alert as they always had done.

Harry was surprised to find that the black bodysuit, with all its tight body hugging proximity was actually very comfortable. It didn’t feel tight at all and moved with each muscle like a second skin. Satisfied it wasn’t going to hinder his ability to move, Harry grabbed a pair of loose jeans and a black ‘weird sisters’ shirt with long sleeves.

When he came back down the stairs he could hear Moody and Dumbledore talking in the Library. He walked over quietly hoping to hear some news on Voldemort’s summer activities.

“… I really don’t know what to expect from the Circle, Alaster. It is my hope that Tonks will be able to sway them.” Dumbledore was saying.

“Perhaps young Mr. Potter could help by using his position to speak at the vote.” Moody growled. “The boy doesn’t fear Death Eaters. I am sure he could sway a few moderates with a few choice words… especially if the ministry were to give him and his friends their rewards.”

Dumbledore’s response sounded tired. “Ah, but that is the wrinkle my friend, he is still too young to make such a speech and be well received by the Circle… I myself will never make the mistake of treating him as a boy ever again. I can guarantee however that the Circle members would not be as indulgent. A lecture from a sixteen year old boy is likely to have some of them siding with the Dark Lord’s followers for spite.”

Moody growled. “Albus, he’s a born leader. Look what he’s done with the students.”

“I have never seen a student fight so hard to do what is right instead of what is easy.” Dumbledore sighed with regret but Harry could hear pride in his voice, and a great sadness. “I am afraid I have not done as good a job by him as I should have.”

Moody snorted. “You are no more responsible for what Voldemort has done to that boy then he is for the Hufflepuff that died last summer. Remus said he feels responsible for Sirius too. You both should know better by now.”

“There are times when I believe that it would have been best if I had left the school and raised him with Aberforth in Scotland.” His voice sounded more tired then Harry could ever remember hearing it. He could feel the pain in his voice. If he hadn’t been able to forgive Dumbledore before, he was beginning to understand just how much of a burden the prophecy had been on the Old Wizard.

Moody snorted with amusement. “No offence Albus, but your brother isn’t the best company for a small child… Think of the things he’d have taught Harry. Even James never charmed sheep to do outrageous things like your brother has!”

Dumbledore finally chuckled and the mood in the room lifted slightly. “It was a muggle saying that prompted that incident you know… He wasn’t sure how else he was supposed to count sheep from his bed while trying to fall asleep!”

“Flying sheep, as a sleep agent?” Moody scoffed. “Where was a muggle going to get flying sheep?”

Harry couldn’t help but snort at the image. Deciding he’d eavesdropped enough he walked into the room. “Well, normally Muggles just imagine things like that.”

Moody looked menacing when he turned towards him. “You shouldn’t be sneaking around the house.” He gave Harry a look that made him aware that Moody had known he was eavesdropping.

Harry decided to ignore it and chuckled trying to keep the mood light. “Why not? It is my house after all.” He looked over at Dumbledore. He was watching the exchange with what Harry would have assumed was a solemn look had his eyes not have his twinkle in them.

Moody snorted. “I’ll be back in an hour.” He told Dumbledore before leaving the room.

Harry walked over the couch by the fireplace and motioned to the seat with his hand. “Perhaps you’d like to sit down, sir?” He asked politely.

Dumbledore smiled and calmly sat down. “Thank you, Harry.”

Harry smiled at him. “I’m sorry I can’t offer you a lemon drop.”

Dumbledore smiled at him fondly. “I always bring my own.” He said pulling out a bag and taking out two. “Would you care for one?”

Harry shook his head. “No, thank you.”

Dumbledore placed one back in the bag. “Alas no one ever takes me up on the offer. I have often wondered why.”

Harry smirked and thought for a moment. “I’m not very fond of sour candy, sir.”

Dumbledore nodded his head in acceptance. “Then I will have to assume I am alone in this trait among wizards.” He smiled then let the amusement slid from his face.

Harry took this as a sign that Dumbledore was ready to begin the conversation. “Well sir, about the use of the house. I will promise upfront to not ask for acceptance in the Order. I only ask that if you are going to fight any of the restrictions I place on use of the house you will give me a good explanation. I think I have earned at least that much respect.”

Dumbledore slowly nodded his head. The look in his eyes seemed a mix of sadness and pride. He sat further back in his seat and again nodded his acceptance. “If I can I will.” Harry’s eyes hardened a little, his finger clenched the sides of his chair expecting a difficult battle of wills at the comment.

Dumbledore watched and let out a small sigh. “I know you have little reason to believe I will tell you what you want to hear, but certain things I can’t tell you. I am willing however to tell you just enough so you can understand why.”

Harry nodded his understanding. “I won’t ask about missions or such regarding the Order either.”

Dumbledore relaxed a little at these words. “Thank you Harry. You are being more indulgent and considerate than I have a right to expect.”

The idea that Harry was making Dumbledore nervous slid across his mind. It was ludicrous but he couldn’t help but wonder if it were true. He pulled a piece of parchment out of his pocket and looked over at the older wizard. “I had to write them down so I wouldn’t forget anything.”

“It is always wise to write down things if you fear to forget them.” Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled. “At my age I use my pensive more often then I should.”

“Well as long as you remember to put them back.” Harry smiled. “Hermione would be pleased I think. She’s always after me to write things down before I forget them.”

“She is a very remarkable witch,” The headmaster smiled, “Very organized. She would do wonders as a research assistant or teacher if she wished.”

Harry nodded. Looking down at the paper in his hand he wished one last time he’d had time to discuss these demands with Ron, Ginny and Hermione.

“Ok, I guess I should start.” Harry said. “Number one, meetings are to be held in the dining hall and not the kitchen.” He looked up. “Would you need more room then that? It does seem larger then the kitchen but I haven’t been around for large meetings.”

Dumbledore shook his head. “Larger meetings are rare and we can set-up something ahead of time if you’ll allow that. Last time I believe we used the ballroom.”

Harry smiled. “That sounds great. In exchange for this concession I’ll allow the Order to lock those rooms from use by me or any of my guests. I also have no problems with the Order arranging the rooms as they see fit, including making smaller rooms or offices in the agreed upon rooms the Order asks to use. All room requests will be considered. Unless I have a need for them I can’t see there being a problem with it. I just ask that I am kept up to date on the permanent changes that are made.”

Dumbledore looked presently surprised. “That is very considerate of you Harry and very much appreciated.”

Harry smiled. “I told you I’d be reasonable about all this. This way we won’t come across anything we shouldn’t, either. I remember how upset Mrs. Weasley was when I found some notes from a meeting last summer.”

Dumbledore nodded and his eyes twinkled brightly. “I never doubted you would be reasonable, but I had anticipated the need to ask for such concessions as asking that you not enter Order rooms in use, in fact I hadn’t thought of locking you out of any part of your house. This will go a long way in reassuring members like Molly.”

Harry smirked. “Well, not all of my demands are that nice.”

Dumbledore nodded and waved his hand towards Harry. “Please continue.”

“Number two; I must be introduced to all Order members so I know who is in my house. I am to be made aware of any overnight guest while I am in residence. When I am at school the house can be of used as you see fit with the exceptions of Sirius’s room, and any rooms I deem personal space for me and my guests. I plan to ask the Weasleys, Remus and Tonks to choose their own rooms from the second and third floors. We’ll clearly mark those rooms as off-limits to Order guests. I also would like for Order members to gain permission from the owner of the room before entrance.”

Dumbledore looked thoughtful. “Again that is very wise restriction and a generous offer. However when it comes to Order members I can’t promise to introduce you by name as some of the members are undercover agents. The rest is perfectly reasonable and your privacy and that of your guests will be respected.”

Harry waved his concern off. “Code names or nicknames are fine. I just don’t want to see strangers walking around the house in the middle of the night otherwise I won’t feel completely safe and I wouldn’t know if we should be on guard or not. In Hogwarts I know if someone is supposed to be there or not. I’d like the same ability to know who is and isn’t supposed to be here.”

Dumbledore nodded his understanding. “That will be acceptable and a wise precaution given your tendency to walk about in the evening hours.” His eyes twinkled with mirth.

Harry smirked. “A small amendment to that...” Harry paused, worried about the headmasters reaction to this one point. “I don’t want Professor Snape to enter the non-Order rooms of the house without either prior notice or without either you or an adult I trust such as Mr. Weasley, Remus, Tonks or Professor McGonagall present. Hallways are fine but places like the kitchen are out… I may have to tolerate his attitude at school, but I will not have it here in Sirius’s house.” He snarled.

The headmaster seemed a little taken back by the tone of voice Harry used but he was also disappointed. “Professor Snape’s position in the Order is required. I can understand your feelings on the matter but I cannot restrict his access to headquarters that way.” He could see Harry’s expression darken. “However I will try to follow your wishes. I cannot promise it will never happen.”

Harry listened to the Headmaster for a moment and then sat back to think. Remus had told him not to push the Snape issue too hard. He’d been told that Snape had been warned repeatedly to tone his attitude down while in Harry’s presence this summer. Harry decided to push the enforcement of that back onto the Headmaster as a restriction.

“I’ll accept that as long as you understand that I will not tolerate any insults directed towards me, my friends or my godfather in my presence.” He told Dumbledore sternly. “I’ll have no regrets if it comes to me having to lock him out of the house.”

Dumbledore looked tired. “Harry, he is an important member of the Order. I really can’t accept that he’d be barred from the house.”

Harry smirked. “Are you suggesting that Professor Snape is incapable of acting as an adult, sir?” He wasn’t ready to let it go. He wanted Dumbledore to understand. “As long as Professor Snape is capable of acting in a polite manner towards my guests, me, and the memory of my godfather, I will act accordingly. However he has proven in the past that he is a bully and I will not tolerate it.” He reminded the Headmaster sternly.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows. “I’d say certain school grudges are harder to forget then others.”

Harry’s eyes hardened again. “As I never attended school with the Professor, there is no reason for the attitude to be directed at me… They are dead Professor.” He said quietly. “It’s time he let it go.”

Dumbledore nodded solemnly. “I will warn Snape that it would be wise to respect those that are grieving.” Harry sighed, but decided not to push it any farther.

“Third, I expect that any information that is about me, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny and/or Luna be brought to our attention as soon as possible.” Harry’s face held a pained look as he remembered why his godfather was dead. The guilt and sorrow was still too fresh to forget.

“Last month could have been avoided had we only known that Voldemort would try to lure me to the Department of Mysteries. The one fact would have been enough to stop what happened.” He cleared his throat a few times trying to keep control of his voice.

Dumbledore’s face clouded. “This was the one thing I was worried you’d ask for…”

Harry looked deeply at the headmaster. “So you won’t keep your word to not hide things from me.”

Dumbledore’s eyes dimmed a little. “I will tell you as much as I can Harry. You must understand that sometimes I will not be able to tell you everything until you can master Occumatry.” He explained to him.

Harry eyes broke away from the sadness in Dumbledore’s eyes and stared at the fire. He knew that Dumbledore was right. Until he could keep Voldemort out of his mind he was a liability to any plans the Order might make.

“Who is going to teach me?” He asked quietly, not lifting his eyes from the dancing flames.

“I am going to arrange for an old friend to come and help you.” Harry could see concern in his eyes when he turned back to look at the Professor. “He will be a safer teacher until you understand enough to block regularly. It is my hope that I will be able to continue your training once school begins.”

“I assume that once that happens I’ll be kept informed?” He pushed.

The headmaster nodded slowly. “Whenever possible... I am sure there will be times I can not discuss something due to security concerns.” Dumbledore paused and looked deep into Harry’s eyes. “I will tell the others if something comes up that involves them. Will that be agreeable?”

Harry nodded. “Just so long as we know what situations to avoid, we won’t always need specifics.”

Dumbledore smiled. “Thank you Harry... Is that everything?”

Harry shook his head. “One last thing, it’s not a condition but a request of you… I am not to be locked away while I am here. Tonks is my guardian and I don’t want that interfered with. She, Remus and I have discussed it and we all know where we stand on the issues. I also want to be allowed to invite Neville and Luna here. They know about the Order.”

Dumbledore smiled. “I knew when Sirius left you to Tonks that you would not want me countermining her decisions. I promise I will not interfere unless I know there is a specific concern to your safety or that of your friends.”

Harry smiled back. “I’d expect no less from you, sir.” He let a little laughter to enter his tone.

“I will of course write you a note for Mr. Longbottom to visit here, but I would rather any visits with Ms. Lovegood be conducted at the Burrow or in public. Her father being a newspaper man might take public offence to his daughter being hidden away during visits to see a teenage boy.” Dumbledore smiled when Harry’s eyes opened wide at the implication and a dark red flush spread across his face and up to the tips of his ears.

“I understand.” He muttered trying to hide his embarrassment. “She’s a strange girl, but a loyal friend.”

Dumbledore smiled. “She has a very developed way of looking at the world few possess. You would be wise to consider her observations from time to time.”

Harry looked over at the old wizard. “I’m sure she’s not alone in this ability.” Harry could hear the sounds of people arriving and Ron’s loud voice asking where Harry was coming from down the hall.

Dumbledore smiled. He stood and shook Harry’s hand. “I will convey your proposition to the Order.”

Harry nodded. “I will of course hold you to making sure they don’t eat all the food in the house sir.” He teased. “Of course for use of Mrs. Weasley’s cooking skills some arrangements could be made between me and some hungry Order members from time to time.”

“Of course, Harry.” He chuckled. “This has been a most enlightening talk.”

The Order seemed pleased with the small list of restrictions that Harry had asked for. It was understood that while the headquarters was Harry’s home for the next several weeks they were to keep Order business in the Dining Hall. Dumbledore set-up a very secure Floo connection directly to the meeting hall for most members and he added a password acceptance requirement. Harry as the owner of the house had to set the password but as Tonks was his guardian she could change it at anytime.

Most of the Order had expected several outrageous demands by the teenager and while the restrictions on Snape were deemed petty by some, most understood the animosity between Sirius and Snape had bled down to Harry. Very few of the present members remembered the history of Snape and James Potter. Harry hadn’t been unreasonable however. Once the Floo network connection had been put in place Harry changed his restrictions. Snape was not to leave the Ground floor or enter the kitchen for any reason without an escort. Harry still wanted to be notified of meeting times so they could avoid one another when Snape would be popping by. Dumbledore quickly agreed.

Mrs. Weasley was very grateful to Harry for allowing her family to move back into the house. Ron was happy to have his own room and took the room on the left next to Harry’s. Hermione took the other room on the right and Ginny took the room the girls had the year before across the hall. The twins, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took the rest of the second floor while Remus and Tonks took two rooms on the third floor.

Sirius’s room was still off-limits. Buckbeak had been moved to a magical creature reserve near the border of Romania earlier that summer, thanks to Charlie. The room still had a lot of Sirius’s personal belongings in it. Neither Remus nor Harry was prepared for the final step of saying goodbye and packing up his things. They had agreed to wait a few weeks before they tackled it together.

That still left three bedrooms on the third floor for overnight stays and the ballroom for the Order to use. Harry had given the Order permission for them to transfigure parts of the ballroom into a mini hospital wing now that the house was clear of all sorts of infestations. The four bed ward was quickly put together by Professor McGonagall. It looked like a smaller version of the Hogwarts infirmary. The potions cabinet still needed to be filled. The bandage racks and linen spaces were full of clean crisp linens that a muggle hospital would be proud of.

Hermione had added several bookcases to her bedroom in anticipation of moving in for the last two weeks of summer vacation. Her parents were going on a vacation to Canada to visit some cousins, but Hermione had decided to stay. Her parents had added their hearth to the Floo network so she could come and go as she pleased. Harry had even asked her to invite them over for dinner one evening to get to know them.

More than moving into the magical house Hermione was looking forward to seeing her new collection of books that Sirius had left her. Remus had promised to take her to see them and to take her shopping for extra school supplies. Ron had asked her if she was going to get a trunk like Moody’s just for her books since she had complained about having to leave them behind when she went to school. Harry and Remus had decided that they were going to get her one for her birthday. Remus had also promised to pack the books up in the trunk before sending it to Hogwarts. Harry figured a few weeks without them wouldn’t hurt her.

Harry had written Luna and Neville asking them to join the group for an outing to Diagon Alley. Neville had written back that his Grandmother agreed as long as Tonks was going to be present. Luna had no problems getting permission to go. Harry was getting excited at the possibility of getting out of the house. It had been a long time since he’d been allowed out in the magical alley and he was looking forward to getting a few extra things.

Harry had been surprised when they came down for breakfast to see Charlie and Bill talking to Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen. They had stopped talking the instant the four teenagers walked into the room.

“Order business isn’t to be discussed in the kitchen.” Harry pretended to pout. Ron couldn’t help but snicker. Ginny and Hermione both rolled their eyes at each other.

Mrs. Weasley flushed a little but smiled. “Morning dears… Breakfast will be ready in a few minutes.” She gave Bill and Charlie a warning glare. “Set the table won’t you Ginny.”

“Yes mum.” She sighed. Hermione gave her a hand getting the plates and stainless steel forks and knives.

“I hear you guys need to stop at Gringotts.” Bill said as he sat down at the table. He ruffled Ron’s hair playfully.

“Get off.” Ron cried, pushing Bill’s hand away.

Harry’s face grew serious. “Yeah, Tonks and I need to sign some papers.”

“Get some breakfast and we’ll get you to the bank then. Hermione should be there by nine o’clock so we have about fifty minutes.” Bill said checking his watch. “You don’t want to be late for your afternoon outing with Neville and Luna. You can never tell how long it will take in Gringotts to get everything worked out. Charlie will be your guard with Tonks while you’re in the Alley.”

Harry nodded and turned back to his breakfast. He wasn’t overly hungry anymore but Ron was ready to eat the rest of his. He figured this was a better plan then letting Mrs. Weasley know he wasn’t hungry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: