Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The second American revolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medi-Cal is the California state funded menical program and they did I'm not joking

WhiteStorm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
All he really said was that there would be violence like last time unless we all put forth real effort to change the government through non violent means.

The part I referred to is at 4:40 in the video. He is saying "This happened all once before. 232 years ago it led to revolution and thousands of dead in the streets. It will happen again unless you take back America now."

It sounds almost as though he makes a threat, implying that the revolution will happen as before if people do not join his group. Although it may just be the way I interpret it.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes But I hardley think he ment it will happen in exactly the same way it did back in the 1700s. I'm sure meant the bodies in the sreets and armed conflict and such and I have to agree if things are alowed to go as they are there will be a violent overthrow of the existing government.

Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on taxpayer-subsidized medical care for illegals:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/04/09/20080409az-hospitalfund09-on.html

http://www.wvwnews.net/story.php?id=3978

As for welfare--

"Welfare" as a word is used two very different ways in this debate. It is true that it is illegal for a non-US citizen to collect "welfare" as narrowly defined, meaning the specific "welfare" program that sends a monthly check (although there's evidence that a significant number have found ways to evade the intent of the law, for example by having a baby that _is_ a US citizen and collecting benefits for _it_.) In the larger sense, however, "welfare" includes a huge basket of programs intended to help the poor, including things like heavily-subsidized (and now overloaded) public transit, day care programs, the (always broke) public schools, etc. Illegals _do_ take advantage of these programs, in spades. That said, here's some links:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigrationnaturalizatio/a/caillegals.htm

http://www.hometownstation.com/local-news/illegal-aliens-clarita-2008-05-05-02-00.html

http://www.bordernewsyoudecide.com/2008/03/welfare-costs-for-illegal-aliens-in-la.html
WhiteStorm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding illegals, I think in the US you might as well leave the ones that are already there alone, and fix up the border so no more can get in. Otherwise it's just a hideous waste of money, and about as useful as trying to save a sinking boat with a soup spoon. Once that's done just make the rest of them citizens, so if they commit crimes they are still punished like any other criminal* and this way if they want to, they can start to behave as normal people without the fear of being deported.

*Or perhaps put them on a probationary period, so that if you have lived there for x amount of years (after the border was secured, for simplicity's sake) and committed no serious crimes (it probably isn't worth deporting someone for things like a violation of traffic rules unless they make a dangerous habit of it for example) then you are granted citizenship.

In this way then you might filter out those who are unwilling to work and lead normal lives, and be left with productive citizens instead of using however much money to track them down. As for welfare... I believe there is enough trouble with that from people who are citizens, so it probably needs an overhaul regardless of illegals.
Syrius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit wrote:
It is true that it is illegal for a non-US citizen to collect "welfare" as narrowly defined, meaning the specific "welfare" program that sends a monthly check (although there's evidence that a significant number have found ways to evade the intent of the law, for example by having a baby that _is_ a US citizen and collecting benefits for _it_.)

Good. That is what I was referring to. It is the baby getting the benefits, not the parents. The notion, however, is that illegals are getting a monthly check just because, which is not true. At least not here in Az. Getting benefits for such a baby, is, for the lack of a better word, a total b**ch over here.

On the issue of medical care, at least here in AZ, it is forbidden to deny *emergency* medical care to anyone. Any care beyond saving and stabilizing a life *can* be (and has been) denied. Between having someone die at the waiting room because they were denied help, and burdening the system more, what do you think hospitals are going to choose? What price do we put on a human life? Illegals or not, they are human, and their blood is just as red as yours and mine.

I have to ask, what about the legal people who also don't pay their hospital bills? Don't they tax the system? Or does their legal status automagically cancel their debt?

They can be a burden, yes. Solutions: Get them out? Ha. Good luck. (Just how? How? Anyone?) Track them, and tax the hell out of them, and deny them stay upon failing to do so? Sounds more reasonable to me. Let's say we got them all out of the country, and made sure they stayed out. The country's problems aren't going to fix themselves just because of that. Medical care will still suck. There will still be unemployed and poor people. The homeless aren't going to flock to fill positions. (In fact, the only thing I've seen an illegal person ever beg for, is *work*. And that, at least is quite a credit to them. ) Scapegoats seldom ever fix a problem. How about changing the broken policies that benefit them, instead of demonizing the beneficiaries of such policies?

Rabbit wrote:
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigrationnaturalizatio/a/caillegals.htm

That's a bit oudated. Things cannot be the same right now. It's four years already. Also... hmm... Educate those kids on why they should love and respect this country, or disenfranchise them and getting overrun by a bunch of uneducated, unemployed, and burned teenagers and young adults five or seven years down the road?

Rabbit wrote:
http://www.hometownstation.com/local-news/illegal-aliens-clarita-2008-05-05-02-00.html

The report mentions specifically children of illegal aliens. Children who most surely, *ARE* citizens by birth. Are we going to let them have the same opportunities and benefits as every other child born here, or deny them because of where their ancestry come from, and who their parents were? Who's the brave one to dare say to them: "Sorry, kid. You were born here, and have to love this Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, sing its anthem, pay the taxes it demands from you, but you cannot ask Uncle Sam to help you the way he does with the kids whose parents didn't jump the fence"? Anyone? If someone knows of a way of telling them so without any backlash, please tell it to me, so I can do it too. Give me your poor, your hungry, as long as your parents had been born here? That is why prop 187 failed, IIRC. By the same token, we should deny drivers licenses to the children of drunk drivers.

Whitestorm:

Perhaps one of the biggest cries of the opponents to a reform (Reform, not amnesty.) is because suddenly, they will have a bunch of people they just plain do not like (granted, they must make themselves likeable, and I seriously support that idea, more on that later.) being made citizens for X amount of money, or such, *without* learning english, paying their debts (well, at least illegals don't file for bankruptcy, heh.) and respecting the nation. I'd say citizenship (as being one of the extremes of the scales) should not be available as easily, but a probationary program, like you mention. Either via temporary permits, or residences or something that would be lost and bar someone from employment, were a felony to be committed. (Fair is fair. None here would like to lose their license or home for a minor infraction, likewise, only a major reason should cause loss of such privileges.) Only those who have proven themselves to be worthy of it, should be made citizens.

Please do not think I'm being confrontational. I speak from what I have witnessed.

WhiteStorm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of convenience I was thinking more just assume they are permitted, until they do something worthy of being removed and can't prove their citizenship (unfortunately there's no guarantee you can prove they came from anywhere else either, so they may just end up imprisoned anyway, even without citizenship). Otherwise you still have to track them down, or let them register themselves (granted, the honest ones might do if they aren't afraid it's a trick). However, that relies on the borders being secured first, and I'm not sure that's really likely.

English, at present, is a bit strange of a requirement. It's the most popular language, but not official, and for some reason everyone either doesn't want an official language, or they hate the idea of having more than one spoken language. Why, I'm not sure. They seem to have the "I was here first" mentality, but it seems to me plenty of countries get by fine with more than one official language, or with people speaking non-official ones. Maybe they fear becoming like Canada, lol.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The report mentions specifically children of illegal aliens. Children who most surely, *ARE* citizens by birth. Are we going to let them have the same opportunities and benefits as every other child born here, or deny them because of where their ancestry come from, and who their parents were? Who's the brave one to dare say to them: "Sorry, kid. You were born here, and have to love this Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, sing its anthem, pay the taxes it demands from you, but you cannot ask Uncle Sam to help you the way he does with the kids whose parents didn't jump the fence"? Anyone? If someone knows of a way of telling them so without any backlash, please tell it to me, so I can do it too. Give me your poor, your hungry, as long as your parents had been born here? That is why prop 187 failed, IIRC.

Watch me.

The vast majority of nations defines the children of citizens as citizens; being born inside their boundaries has nothing to do with it. While I wouldn't "undo" this for those already born-- it's unconstitutional as well as wrong-- I _would_ change the law to comply with the majority-standard.

I'd also say that the hypothetical people born here but not citizens after the law is changed should _not_ be brought up to love America. Their parents should raise them to love the nation that they're legally a citizen of. That's the fair, right, and natural way of things.

As to how we get the illegals out? shut off the jobs and economic opportunities, and they'll leave the same way they arrived.

We are a nation of immigrants, yes. And I support a limited amount of highly-regulated immigration. But, what we're seeing now is a trainwreck on _many_ levels. I've felt this way ever since an illegal got a job I desperately wanted. That was in 1982, by the way. And the illegal was born in England.
Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoo boy. I give up.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mogthemoogle wrote:
Hoo boy. I give up.

Don't ever give up Mog...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
mogthemoogle wrote:
Hoo boy. I give up.

I suppose you're right. Okay then, I'm taking a vacation! XD

AKA Mogthemoogle
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mogthemoogle wrote:
Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
mogthemoogle wrote:
Hoo boy. I give up.

Of course I'm right, vacation, where we going... Very Happy

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
mogthemoogle wrote:
Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
mogthemoogle wrote:
Hoo boy. I give up.

Sunny and peaceful Beirut? Laughing

AKA Mogthemoogle
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mogthemoogle wrote:
Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
mogthemoogle wrote:
Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
mogthemoogle wrote:
Hoo boy. I give up.

Sunny and peaceful Beirut? Laughing

Sounds good too me, lets go, may we'll get there in time for the runing of the suicide bombers... Laughing

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: