Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Shook Up!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: All Shook Up! Reply with quote

Well things were rockin n rollin here in So Cal. At about 11:30 we had ourselves a 5.something quake centered in Pomona just a few miles east of your's truely (I'm fine though I hope all the other furs in the area are too). First time I've been in a quake where I wasn't at ground level, quite a different sensasion a lot more swaying going on. Oh well back to work.

Teric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I felt it here in Santa Ana. It was 5.8 magnitude--stronger than any quake I've felt before. A bit scary--my office mate and I headed for the door frame while the floor rolled back & forth for about 20 seconds.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happened, I was (and still am) in my company's Emergency Operations Center in Eagle Rock when the quake rolled through. Nice ride! No significant damage to our systems or those of our members. Spoke to The Fox, who happened to be out on our patio at the time of the quake. She said our house, a two story wooden frame structure, was visibly flexing. We live about 15 miles southwest of the epicenter.

My base of operations in Yorba Linda is only a pawful of miles south of the epicenter, and they got shook up pretty good. No damage or injuries, but all our patrol runs were activated, and some are still in the field even now, four and a half hours later, ascertaining the integrity of the pipelines. Wish I was out there with 'em...

No telling when the suits are going to let us go home. Our EOC is still activated.

Hope everyone else in soCal came through it OK.

SC

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? They're saying it was felt all the over to vegas.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, didn't feel it up here in the SF bay area either. I was sitting at a computer in what amounts to a construction trailer (my shop) when it happened.

Hope all my So Cal friends are OK,

Kellan

Kasyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that happened to us Midwesterners a few months back, but we're not used to it. I woke up in the middle of the night: "Why's the bed shaking? It's not me..." Confused
Syrius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I love Arizona.
Arctic_Mutt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never felt an earthquake, I'm going to ask a noob question to all the furs living in quake prone areas -

What does it actually feel like?

Like you drunk and have lost your footing? Honestly, I'm curious Shocked

Gah, I've joined the bandwagon and got myself LiveJournal: http://arctic-mutt.livejournal.com/
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we get micro-quakes around here all the time, don't even notice them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earth quake in Indian area a couple months ago was the first earth quakes I ever felt. There were two that day. One early morning that woke me up, the bed was rocking back and forth like "something" was going on. The second was about 4 hours later, I was awake and sitting up in bed talking to IronTiger on the phone and felt the same back and forth shaking start up again. Focused in on it and felt it shake then ebb off, then shake harder then off again, kept doing this till it culminated in a strong shake for a bit then ebbed off again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kristie_Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt it here in Surf City, USA... had a little fun in my undies while watching the end of Ocean 13 and it was funny when it stopped brad pit said, "Alright hit em' harder." Embarassed
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic_Mutt wrote:
Having never felt an earthquake, I'm going to ask a noob question to all the furs living in quake prone areas -

Sit on a rickety table and a few people shift it around while throwing in a good jolt at the start that's pretty much the way it feels kinda un-nerving though when it comes rigt outta the blue.

Teric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's scary and fascinating at the same time, Arctic_Mutt. When this one hit, I was sitting in my chair here in the office in Santa Ana. I could hear the shockwave coming--sounded like a low-flying aircraft or a big truck rumbling down the road.

When it hit, the building started shaking, and for the first instant, I still thought it was an aircraft flying low overhead. But then it got stronger, and started rattling the windows.

Everything shakes. There is no stable point of reference that you can look at--you, the floor, the walls, the trees, everything is shaking. You get a sick, fascinated feeling in the pit of your stomach, realizing that you are smack in the middle of a huge force of nature, and you are absolutely powerless to stop it. The best you can do is head for a doorfame (which I did), and watch what's going on around you, praying that it won't be a huge one.

Fortunately, this one didn't get strong enough to break things, though a few things fell off of shelves. For about 20 seconds after the initial hit, things were a lot calmer, though I could still feel a rolling sensation under my feet.

It leaves you shaken, not really sure what to do, but immensely relieved that you and those around you are safe.

Arctic_Mutt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you all for the excellent descriptions - I had no idea there was an actual noise involved!

When I was younger, like 3 or 4, I went through a quake in Ottawa (there's a small fault line there) strong enough to rattle shelves, or so my folks tell me, but I've no recollection of it at all (The Muppets and Dr Snuggles are pretty much the extent of my memories from that time).

Gah, I've joined the bandwagon and got myself LiveJournal: http://arctic-mutt.livejournal.com/
alaskawolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic_Mutt wrote:

it is definitely an interesting experience, with every step up in in the Richter scale it can most definitely be felt.

the mid level ones in the high 5s and low 6s are kinda cool but higher up can be down right scary. that 7.9 that we had up here a few year back was just plain nuts Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: