Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

court rules against bizzare names given to kids
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ_Krythos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: court rules against bizzare names given to kids Reply with quote

yay, bit of news from me to help get me back into posting here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_on_re_au_an/new_zealand_bizarre_names

yeah, I lol'ed. I can understand a few odd names, but Talulu does the Hula..... wow..... what were they smoking when they thought that up.

This is why I think some parents need a license to have a child. Infact, I think if this gets any worse, it might be better to have it be just as strict as hunting. You should have to pass a psychology exam, take a course in not being a DEE DEE DEEEE parental figure, and such. Nothing too unbearable, just prove to the world you have half a brain and know that kids need food, love and attention.

"When taking a vacation from life, death is only the beggining and birth is only the end"
- Crimson Jackal
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words

'Sex Fruit'

I kid you not

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here my parents decided on giving me the first name of Aaron instead of Sigurd because they thought I would be teased for have a weird name. Serves them right I just need to get over to the court as some point soon to change my name right way round so that Aaron is my middle name as it was supposed to be.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if some people think children are fashion accessories.

Scotty

mwalimu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago I remember hearing that in France they have an official list of allowable names and won't let you give your child a name that's not on the list. Dunno if that's still true, or if it ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhiteStorm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
I wonder if some people think children are fashion accessories.

Scotty

Think may be a slight overstatement.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalimu wrote:
A long time ago I remember hearing that in France they have an official list of allowable names and won't let you give your child a name that's not on the list. Dunno if that's still true, or if it ever was.

That's Germany, but France is close to Germany. Wink

And it's not just any allowable name, but if one of the parents is German it must be a German name.

Scotty

Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Then there was a very famous actor whose real first name was Marion. He was better known as John Wayne.

You have to remember, though, that Marion (as opposed to Marian) is a man's name and wasn't uncommon when Marion Michael Morrison was born.

Likewise, Nicol and Nicole. Same pronunciation, different spellings and different genders. There are others, too. Razz

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Vallus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic brought to mind Johnny Cash's song "A Boy Named Sue." As for the child mentioned, I'm hoping she was made a ward for more than just having an embarrassing name. That a judge could take a child away from his/her parents just over a name I just can't help but feel uneasy about. Hopefully it's just a temporary situation until the custody dispute resolved.
WhiteStorm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Jean sounds the same in French as it does in English.
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cousin named "Corvette" and one of his sisters is (I absolutly cannot spell it, it's french so I'll just type it as best as I can towards pronunciation) Jona' (with the J having that french sound, and the na sounding like nay). I can't remember the oldest girls name but the other boy in the family is Christopher. This is a family living in middle Oregon, I don't know the mothers exact background but the father was raised a poor farm boy from Nebraska area. How the two yoiungest ended up with the names they did, I have no clue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Teric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A young couple who lives across the street from us just had their first child earlier this month. His name is (I kid you not), "Nathan Danger Langley".

Danger is my middle name...

Thylo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people just don't think about how their kids are people, and they're gonna grow up and have to live with these names. they may think it's cute or clever, but no one should have to live with a joke name.
I have a relative who had a kid at a young age and named him Atreyu, I just call him Trey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thylo wrote:
some people just don't think about how their kids are people, and they're gonna grow up and have to live with these names. they may think it's cute or clever, but no one should have to live with a joke name.
I have a relative who had a kid at a young age and named him Atreyu, I just call him Trey

Hey I liked The Never Ending Story!

I had at once contemplated naming my first born son Exile that was along time ago. And if we do have a son, we're hoping for a girl when time comes, we'll name him Gavin Sigurd Olson

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
This is a family living in middle Oregon, I don't know the mothers exact background but the father was raised a poor farm boy from Nebraska area. How the two yoiungest ended up with the names they did, I have no clue.

My guess would be they inhaled too many fumes from the tie dye vat. At least that would be my preference if I were to go slightly off center.

Sigurd Volsung wrote:
... And if we do have a son, we're hoping for a girl when time comes, we'll name him Gavin Sigurd Olson

I had to reread that. At first read I thought you were going to name your next girl Gavin.... Shocked

Scotty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: