Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIAA Sees AM-FM Radio as Piracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron_Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: RIAA Sees AM-FM Radio as Piracy Reply with quote

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/recording-indus.html

Oh for frakk's sake. >_<

Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKA Mogthemoogle
Syrius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA. WAIT A &%$#@!!!!! MINUTE!

Don't radio stations already pay a royalty? How about the millions (yes, MILLIONS) of dollars the artists and therefore, the recording labels get in free publicity for a song?

That bloated organization is just making bigger elephantine idiots out of themselves. You know, I'd like to organize a protest with one thousand people in front of their headquarters, giving them a middle-finger salute at once, parodying the Nazi salute. Because that's what they are. Nazis.

On the other hand, if you want to do something, here's somewhere you can go: www.eff.org

Time to get busy, guys. Could be sugar rush, but there is a reason why the Preamble to the US constitution starts with "We the People". Big brother is not going to do anything. Companies won't police themselves ethically. Get calling, emailing or writing. Keep this the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, or you will be enslaved by a bunch of cowards.

-S.

Kristie_Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this bill passes through congress, it will be the end of all music radio here in the US... *grin evil*... I say let it.

I mean, how many of you out there love to hear new and different things off the radio stations, but they will continue to play a 2hour loop of the same songs over and over for 2-3 days straight?... and this is why I enjoy a nice talk radio station now instead of all the constant BS and all the songs I don't want to hear on the air.

Down with the Music Empire, they say the fish rots from the head 1st.
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I listen to broadcast radio as little as I do is the ads. The intelligence level of the individuals (and companies) writing ads is moronic, at best. I don't listen to radio to be insulted. And the stupider the ad, the more often they play it.

The repetitive nature of radio play is because most of them are tied to some sort of top-40 format. When I can find an oldies station or a classical station, that's what I listen to. Surprisingly, neither exist in Nashville.

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

Here in Norway there's a little 'tax' on cassette tapes, and possibly also on some other types of recording media, which is collected by TONO(our equivalent of RIAA), and that is used to pay artists who feature on radio programs. (Radio stations are required to make lists of what they play)

Not that Radio is any good to record from...
(Even good FM has its problems)

Want to know what our 'music sharing' laws say?
(Made back when LPs ruled and cassettes were used to copy)

It's legal lend your originals to close family and friends so that they can listen to it and make a copy for personal use. They can't lend their copy out to their friends and family, though.
(Well, that's a bit simplified to what a lawyer would say, but is essentially correct)

You're also allowed to make backup copies of all originals you own.
No one has tried to take the big companies to court about encrypted DVDs or F! U! CDs yet, though.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
mwalimu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're seeing is the effects of a radio industry and a recording industry who are both too firmly dug into their old ways of doing business to change and adapt to the realities of the 21st century. Radio has suffered immensely from corporate consolidation and homogenization, and consistently does not get the message that listeners get tired of hearing music from the same short playlist over and over. And if you didn't hear all the moaning from the recording industry about declining CD and music sales, you could swear they're engaged in a campaign to drive down sales by pissing off the music buying public. Now they're fighting each other in desperate pleas to Congress... "Do something! We're losing money!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to know why the CD sales are declining?

Most of what they produce these days sound alike. And not in a good way.
I mean, how many 'Backdoor boys' clones do they think we want to listen to?

I've probably bought more than 20 CDs so far this year, but how much of that do you think is 'new' music?
Not a single one!
And you can bet that not one of them has that annoying little triangle signifying that it's 'copymangled', either.
(It doesn't cause any problem when I rip them on my PowerMac, but there's the principle of it)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
mwalimu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of good music out there, both old and new. How closely it matches what the record companies are trying to push on us is another matter entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhiteStorm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need a radio anyway, I have a hard drive.
Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
The main reason I listen to broadcast radio as little as I do is the ads. The intelligence level of the individuals (and companies) writing ads is moronic, at best. I don't listen to radio to be insulted. And the stupider the ad, the more often they play it.

The repetitive nature of radio play is because most of them are tied to some sort of top-40 format. When I can find an oldies station or a classical station, that's what I listen to. Surprisingly, neither exist in Nashville.

Nicolai

Preach it, brother!

Whenever I hear this one guy come on, screaming, "Friends, Kia of Greer ..." my finger automatically stabs the switch. It's almost muscle memory by now. What I can NOT stand is some cheap idiot screaming at me about a bunch of cars I don't want to buy. Puts my teeth on edge.

There is also a local outfit (the Mattress Factory) that airs the worst commercials in the history of telecommunications, I kid you not. Local non-talent, that couldn't carry a tune if you welded a handle to it, doing an acapella rendition of a parody of a Shania Twain song that substitutes "sleepin' on a mattress" for "feel like a woman". It's enough to make you puke.

Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:

Preach it, brother!

Whenever I hear this one guy come on, screaming, "Friends, Kia of Greer ..." my finger automatically stabs the switch. It's almost muscle memory by now. What I can NOT stand is some cheap idiot screaming at me about a bunch of cars I don't want to buy. Puts my teeth on edge.

There is also a local outfit (the Mattress Factory) that airs the worst commercials in the history of telecommunications, I kid you not. Local non-talent, that couldn't carry a tune if you welded a handle to it, doing an acapella rendition of a parody of a Shania Twain song that substitutes "sleepin' on a mattress" for "feel like a woman". It's enough to make you puke.

Well said! I always liked the old saying "They couldn't carry a tune in a bucket" myself. Sometimes I add "with a lid" or "with a forklift". Or even both.

As for bad commercials, there was one, many years ago, in Denver, that was selling fertilizer. They used the phrase "Chicken doo-doo" w-a-a-a-y too many times in that ad. Even worse, it was a screechy soprano acting shocked. The worst ads today are the ones with Billy Mays screaming about Oxy-Clean, or whatever other product he's pitching. His voice sets my teeth on edge on a good day. Let's not talk about bad days.

btw, the best music station I've found in Nashville is actually a college station that does some semi-decent jazz. There's one station I listen to on my commutes because they've got good traffic reporting. Mostly I listen to my mp3's.

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: