Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012, the year the internet ends. (Somehow i doubt it.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: 2012, the year the internet ends. (Somehow i doubt it.) Reply with quote

Get a load of this. I ran across this while randomly surfing.

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV

Last edited by Asalis on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Jai_taigas
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh i laughed at this when i first ran across it via youtube, and i'm still laughing at it here on pf...

Mind you I never put anything instantly out and away but regardless, the idea that they would all agree for this is pure stupidity, ignoring... if i remember correctly, there is some legal problems with getting multiple different companies i can't really remember too well x.x

but bleh the internet is the government's anyways it's not in the possession of an one set person so to get this to actually work is near impossible anyways bleh

Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As teric explained to me online there'd be no way to force everyone to do this. in the end other providers would speak up and say things like I can get you online cheaper than those other guys, eventually winding up with other still saying I can get you on the internet for absolutely free. Then we'd be right back where we started and with complete net neutrality again.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were also supposed to start taxing e-mail use by early 2000, and it hasn't happened. I expect the exact same for this.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they're still try to do that.

Iron_Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're trying to get several big huge ISP companies to agree on something? Not bloody likely, not when the conmsumer will throw a hissy fit.

If anything ACTA is more likely to pass since it is being discussed by G8 nations, OUTSIDE of WTO influence, outside of WIPO, outside of the normal traffic flow where trade agreements are normally drafted.

[Crash]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will go about as well as DRM did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that Bell Canada up here in Canuckistan is throttling certain Internet traffic (mostly torrents) and that is causing some controversy.

TELUS however, does not offer residential Internet service in all of Canada though, so I don't know how much sway they have to change things.

I don't see other business tolerating this - One of the great things about the Internet is the access it gives to entrepreneurs, and entrepreneurial spirit is one of the great advantages of free-market capitalism.

I don't see any government outside those nations that already control the Internet (like Saudi Arabia, Cuba, etc) wanting to turn back the ability of innovators and entrepreneurs to make money and spread ideas.

I will say this group is smart putting the pic of the chick with the low-cut top as their opening shot - they understand marketing, apparently Laughing

Gah, I've joined the bandwagon and got myself LiveJournal: http://arctic-mutt.livejournal.com/
Syrius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet will die when Al Gore dies. Remember, he gave it to us, and he can take it away.

Razz

Red Reynart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laugh so much at this.. Like are these guys for real?

I highly doubt something like this would ever take place.. packageing websites?

but.. When ever I do hear about stupid stuff like this I still do wonder the what ifs.. For I own my own website and I do say the internet is for the media, small business. anc comunication.. In america wouldn't that go against several laws for infingement of rights? but I could see each other country suffering..

it casts its shadow upon the fallen leaf.
CoonPucky5000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more worried about Net metering
CJ_Krythos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading this, I have a mental image of some geeks sitting around a table going "screw flying cars, lets get rid of the internet." XD

"When taking a vacation from life, death is only the beggining and birth is only the end"
- Crimson Jackal
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly....

Yes, there's a very real possibility that this happens, particularly in America.
What will then happen is that many smaller companies with a global clientele will move their servers to other parts of the world.
They will also stop using USA-based payment services(credit-card verification and such) wherever possible to avoid having to pay extra.

As for Torrents, I couldn't care less if they throttled that, as it would mean more bandwidth for legal use. (at least 99% of Torrent traffic is pirated software/music/film)

What I REALLY want to see is that the core routers on the net was programmed to block traffic from 'black holes', validation of email senders and the end of Torrents.
That would free up so much bandwidth that there would no longer be any problems...

*black holes* = Certain address ranges are officially NOT in use on the net, and traffic should therefore NOT be coming from or going to these addresses. Certain ISPs knows this and use(or let spammers use) these addresses for less than savoury purposes, knowing full well that most routers on the net doesn't have the memory to store the path to those adresses more than a few minutes at most.(Automatical deletion of evidence. Got to love that... )
I know for a fact that spammers have used the IP-range of my organisation(we have a 'B' range of 65536 addresses, of which only a handful, mostly proxies, are 'visible' on the net) when sending out their crap.
In fact, we've had to ask our ISP and their closest links to specifically exclude or add as static routes most of our range to avoid problems with external services.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amazing how we have always pictured the future being intelligent and highly civilized with grandiose technology.

But our current cultures are evidence to the contrary.

We can't have an intelligent future with a present full of morons, and we can't have high technology with greed over-moderating what we have now.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: