Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anthropomorphizing paws
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skazwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Anthropomorphizing paws Reply with quote

(did I spell that right?)

How do all of you anthropomorphize your character's paws? Digitigrade or plantigrade? I haven't really decided on my own character's footpaws yet, and I can't figure which to give him. And for you equines out there, how do you work hooves into hands?
Trekkie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitigade, defiantly
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never gotten along with the idea of hoofed animals becoming bipedal anthros with proper hands, the evolutionary process wouldn't make sense with them. I have no problem with them being sentient but not bipeds.
Asalis

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I always thought of it as depending on the species of animal chosen. Animals like dogs and cats are commonly digitigrade. However animals like the rabbit and skunk are Plantigrade. Not entirely sure if i'm correct about the skunk but I know for a fact that rabbits are plantigrade like humans. (Should be no surprise there that I know that. Razz )

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as hooves to hands (having fingers) goes, I write my characters as having the generic term 'paws' for hands. It's understood that they have fingers and opposing thumbs.

My equine/bovine/cervine characters still have hooves instead of feet. My feline/canid/mustilidae etc. characters have feet and are plantigrade in stance. They do wear shoes even though they have claws on their feet and paws (hands). The hooved characters may or may not wear some type of hoof protection, depending on the character. The hooved characters have fingernails on their paws (hands).

Hope you can understand this confusing mess.

Kellan

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go for digitigrade feet in my stories, but...

You are aware that some species are plantigrade even as fourlegged versions?
I believe Skunks and Badgers are among those who have plantigrade feet, and it wouldn't be right to give them digitigrade feet as anthros.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Skazwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am aware some species are naturally plantigrade such as bears and raccoons. But I'm wondering about species that are digitigrade in nature (like Ethiopian wolves).

So more animal-like or human-like paws for your furs?
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my view is that if the RL animal is digitigrade, then the furry should be. Many others believe that all furries are plantigrade. It's a personal choice. But I do cringe when I see furries drawn digitigrade that are plantigrade in RL.

Hand paws, otoh, should always have an opposable thumb. Three fingers vs four fingers (paw vs hand) is the debate here. Again, it's a personal choice. Although, if you're writing, you should be consistent.

Plantigrade animals include bears, all of the mustilidae (skunks, wolverines, badger, mink, weasel, etc.), raccoons, pandas, rodents, platypus, hedgehog, anteaters, armadillo, porcupine. . .

If I think of any others I'll edit them in. Smile

Digitigrade would include canine, feline, all hoofed critters, etc. Any animal that has a hock on its hind leg.

My apologies, Asalis, but rabbits and the rest of lapines, imho, are digitigrade in RL. Take a good look at the hind leg. There is a paw there, and a hock (and no pad at the 'heel'). It's just that most of the time they're down resting on the full 'foot'. But take a look at the tracks when they're running, and you'll see that only the rear paw hits the ground. When they're walking, if you watch (I used to raise them), you'll see that the hind leg rises up until only the paw touching and then they hop forward.

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
lionO

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if i tread on anyones feet here (excuse the pun)
but curiosity got the better of me as i didn't fully understand
the digitigrade and plantigrade concepts so i looked on wikipedia (well wikifur) not quite sure what to make of it in terms of rabbits
i'll let you furs decide it just thought it was interesting

Wikifur-Digitigrade
Asalis

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
My apologies, Asalis, but rabbits and the rest of lapines, imho, are digitigrade in RL. Take a good look at the hind leg. There is a paw there, and a hock (and no pad at the 'heel'). It's just that most of the time they're down resting on the full 'foot'. But take a look at the tracks when they're running, and you'll see that only the rear paw hits the ground. When they're walking, if you watch (I used to raise them), you'll see that the hind leg rises up until only the paw touching and then they hop forward.

Nicolai
No need for apologies. I'm used to it. Wink

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Concolor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's an excerpt from my FAQ's page:

... having said that, here’s the deal: all anthropomorphic furs in this story are derived from mammals (or occasionally marsupials), specifically those with paws. There are no anthro-ungulates, anthro-reptiles, anthro-amphibians, anthro-avians. Just fur-bearing critters with paws, and not all of those. I don’t include any higher primates, or bats, or anteaters, or sloths, or echidnas, or other weirdness. Sorry.

Eutheric Orders:
Carnivora (land-bound types only, ie: cats, dogs, mongooses, skunks, otters, bears, etc.)
Hyracoidea (hyraxes)
Insectivora (hedgehogs, moles, shrews, etc.)
Lagomorpha (rabbits & hares)
Rodentia (rats, mice, capybaras, etc.)

Primate Families:
Lemuridae (lemurs)
Loridae (lorises)
Tarsii (tarsiers)

Metatheric Orders:
Diprotodontia (wallabies, koalas, wombats, kangaroos, etc.)

Also, small, feral versions of any of the anthropomorphs may be found roaming free. I could see no logical (to use a laughable term, given the context) reason for there not to be. If one accepts the (admittedly very shaky) premise that humans developed from apes, even though there are still apes around, it seemed ‘rational’ (again, ha-ha) to me that anthropomorphs could be descended from their less-advanced counterparts which still cavort in the wild.

Also also, the furs in this world do not use footwear except in certain specific (read: extreme) circumstances, such as clean-room environments, arctic exploration (and even then the locals would not normally use any), and so on.

Also also also, most furs walk digitigrade (on the toes the way cats and dogs do here) as opposed to plantigrade (the way humans walk). This fact is not immediately obvious to the casual observer, however. Due to anthropomorphism, the length of the foot is greatly shortened as compared with their feral counterparts, to allow the knee and hip to work the way they do in humans. There are a few plantigrade exceptions (bears and wolverines to name two) because not all normal animals are digitigrade.

Skazwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going with digitigrade legs with 4 toes, and more human-like handpaws with 5 fingers, but with pawpads, claws, and everything.

Another thought: Some of the fursuits I've seen only have 4 fingers, where would you put your extra finger? It'd seem uncomfortable if you were in suit for a while.
Trekkie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhalla_Wolf wrote:
I'm thinking of going with digitigrade legs with 4 toes, and more human-like handpaws with 5 fingers, but with pawpads, claws, and everything.

Thats what I am going with right now.

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written characters walking both ways depending on the story I'm writing. In Taricana the Kitsune are digigrade, in the Mystic Wolf series the characters are plantigrade and do wear shoes since the streets can have any sorts of material on them (remember in certain areas police dogs wear booties to protect their paws from broken glass and other sharp objects). In yet another series I'm working on the main anthro race is digigrade and only wear shoes in glaze ice areas where the sharp glass can cut up the pads, same as sled dogs, as well as at times wearing snow shoes for walking on deep soft snow.
GriffinX

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally the question of the equines 'hand' i think it evolution wise is possible you just have to take in to account little things to make it work for example most species of horse have all the bones required for it it's just that they have fused in to one nail aka the hoof and there are prehistoric records of horses with more than one toe.

when it comes to my characters where the 'hands' are concerned they have a semi ordinary hand except for the fur and the fingernails in this case the finger nail covers the entire area up to the first knuckle.

http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: