Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furries and Pets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Furries have pet animals ?
Furries need no pets
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Similar to our world (mostly Cats & Dogs)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Lots of different ones
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 22

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
Rava wrote:
Nameless wrote:

But I think it a bit strange that there are furries based on domestic species.

Why? They wouldnt be domesticated in the first place without humans in the world

Furries have to evolve into intelligent beings first, then they can domesticate ferrals.
That basically means that that Furries can only be based on wild species.
Of course it is also possible that the "domesticated" furry species are actually descendands of mixed breed that became numerous enough to be recognizes as a species (or breed).

That's what I meant. Then at some time in a less civilized time a feline with an exotic coloration or especially long fur was born , probably to a slave and then bred to keep that trait. The most popular of these mutations would have become quite numerous and over the centuries when slavery and breeding got forbidden they were recognized as breeds or spiecies or sub-species or whatever.

Of course, it's just an idea.

Concolor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

That's what I meant. Then at some time in a less civilized time a feline with an exotic coloration or especially long fur was born , probably to a slave, and then bred to keep that trait. The most popular of these mutations would have become quite numerous and over the centuries when slavery and breeding got forbidden they were recognized as breeds or species or sub-species or whatever.

Of course, it's just an idea.

That's pretty much how I thought it would go. Cultural, dietary and environmental differences would lead to certain traits gaining dominance, and becoming true sub-species.

Nameless wrote:

Furries have to evolve into intelligent beings first, then they can domesticate ferals.
That basically means that that Furries can only be based on wild species.
Of course it is also possible that the "domesticated" furry species are actually descendands of mixed breed that became numerous enough to be recognizes as a species (or breed).

Bingo. That's why there are no 'feral' counterparts to the many canine/feline subspecies.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:
Bingo. That's why there are no 'feral' counterparts to the many canine/feline subspecies.

I think this works just the opposite. There would be just as many "feral" (but domesticated) dogs as in our world, but it is rather strange that there are furry dogs. (Except as I and Tygon have written)

Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is that there will be much differnece in the way some animals are. You probably wouldn't see greyhounds has they were bread specifically to be fast, along with almost any thorough bread horse. Mankind has messed around alot with animals..like for example chickens

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... why wouldn't they? Furries, at least as this group has written them, have a similar social and technological framework to our world - it stands to reason that they developed through similar pathways. There were good reasons for humans to domesticate animals; wouldn't furries have those same reasons? Free example: the humanoid form is ill-suited to herding sheep, unless you have a large number of people. Wouldn't it make sense to domesticate a feral wolf-like critter to help? Wouldn't it make even more sense (and perhaps be easier) if the herder could communicate with the feral?

The way I see it, pets make just as much sense for furries as they do for humans. What "use" do most people get out of pets? As near as I can tell, it's mostly a companionship thing - very few people these days use animals for "practical" purposes anymore. It would be pretty much the same for furries.

As to what pets would be appropriate... that would be up to individual taste. Somehow, I think that furries keeping their own "type" as a pet would be somewhat rare - much like a human with a pet monkey is in our world. But it could happen...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toric

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat The Fox wrote:
Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, Fox! * yip* *rowr* *growl *hiss* *yip yip yip yip* *mrowr reowr* *growl yip yip yip*

Eep?

Ne'way.... What sort of pet would ZZ keep? Lol. If anyone would have a big cat as a pet, I think she could afford one.

Question I have, would feral animals have the same interbreedability as furries? In other words, even if rare, could there be a feral Skunkfox, or cabbit?

I want a pet cabbit!
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
Ne'way.... What sort of pet would ZZ keep? Lol. If anyone would have a big cat as a pet, I think she could afford one.

That's not a question of affording one. Well, at least for me since a big cat is potential dangerous animal and you aren't allowed to keep one unless you have a special training that ensures that you know how to handle the kitty.

Toric wrote:
Question I have, would feral animals have the same interbreedability as furries? In other words, even if rare, could there be a feral Skunkfox, or cabbit?

I want a pet cabbit!

I don't think so. Ferals would still have the same genetic makeup as they have in RL and so hybridisation would only be possible for closely related species. At least per my definition. It could of course be that other authors think differently there.

Concolor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
<snip>

Ferals would still have the same genetic makeup as they have in RL and so hybridisation would only be possible for closely related species. At least per my definition.

Absolutely. It is the anthropomorphic trait that allows interbreeding, and ferals, obviously, do not possess it.

Toric

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Well, in addition to her not having any pets in Jame's story, I don't see ZZ as being a pet-person anyway. She might have done some videos with big cats or something when she was still acting though... but that's another subject.

As far as no feral hybrids.... Awwww..... mebbe I'll just have to make my own world where there are feral hybrids! Ha!

^.^
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
Hmmm... Well, in addition to her not having any pets in Jame's story, I don't see ZZ as being a pet-person anyway. She might have done some videos with big cats or something when she was still acting though... but that's another subject.

Um...

Toric wrote:
As far as no feral hybrids.... Awwww..... mebbe I'll just have to make my own world where there are feral hybrids! Ha!

^.^

Hehe, have fun Smile

ironbadger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pets show up in quite a few furry stories- but I believe the reason they don't often is that the author is concentrating more on the furry characters than on anything else.
And a lot of folks these days who live in urban environments do not own pets.

As for the whole question of domestic versus feral stuff-
What?- you think furries couldn't or wouldn't keep reptiles or fish or birds as pets?

Birds, snakes, and fish are more commonly kept these days that dogs or cats, or even hamsters.

As for domestic species based furries- depends on the writer and how the furries in their world came about.

There is more of a trend these days it seems towards naturally evolved furs than genetic creations- but both are still represented in most furry writing.

On the question of reading furry writing-

I've been asked before, so I'll toss this out in public.

If your writing has strong misanthropic elements- (IE- humans are the bad guys or treated as objects to be hated-)
Don't ask me to read it; because I won't, thank you.

I don't care for the "humans are evil and must be destroyed" line.
It just pisses me off, and I have too little time for myself these days to want to spend it reading things I won't enjoy.

-Badger-

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toric wrote:

Eep?

I want a pet cabbit!

*Blinks bleary red eyes* A pet me? Hmmm ya know that would be interesting *looks at Toric for a moment.* Brb *Walks off to get something, a small skunkfox hybrid barrels into the room to hop on Toric's lap* Well you wanted a pet, you can have her then, 'sides she never listens to me anyway.

SkunkFox *Leaning against the door way watching Toric being herded out by his new pet.* Her name's Cali btw oh and don't piss her off Toric, her spray's nearly as strong as my own!
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironbadger wrote:
If your writing has strong misanthropic elements- (IE- humans are the bad guys or treated as objects to be hated-)
Don't ask me to read it; because I won't, thank you.

I don't know why you put that in this thread, but my take on that is:

I consider Humans to be Furries as well, we just got shortchanged in the claws, fur and tail department.

Toric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*is herded off by cali?*

At the risk of sounding repetetive: Eep...

Sooo... where are we going cali? And uhhh.. umm. SF... does she like to be petted or anything? What does she eat....????
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch her ears and she'll love ya for life, tummy rubs, & back scratches are her favorite, and she loves when you play with her tail too.
Fox diet of fresh meat, though normal fresh pouch dog food works well too, but don't forget the added roots and grubs most skunks like. Oh one thing, don't try to tickle her paws, she loves it but she has the nasty habit of spraying if you over do it. She mostly takes care of herself, but you might want to consider a flea dip every once in awhile. Oh almost forgot she'll get into the oddest perdictiments as well, so keep an eye on her....more so around pools she loves to swim around for hours, and you'll have a little problem getting her out. uh well get a level 2 canister type gasmask....and you might want this as well in case she sprays. *tosses Toric a bottle of Deact.*

SkunkFox....hasn't a clue as to why he's still able to function right now....neither does anyone else appearently *Lmao*

Almost forgot She loves kids too!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: