Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furries and Pets
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Furries have pet animals ?
Furries need no pets
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Similar to our world (mostly Cats & Dogs)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Lots of different ones
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 22

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Furries and Pets Reply with quote

In most of the furry stories I have read, there are no pet animals, or very few.
Would things really be like this?

My take on the subject is:
Furries would like pet animals just as much as we do. And they would have a much bigger variety of species as pets.
I think they would often have pets of their ferral species. Maybe not so much for species that are normally loners.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Furries and Pets Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
In most of the furry stories I have read, there are no pet animals, or very few.
Would things really be like this?

My take on the subject is:
Furries would like pet animals just as much as we do. And they would have a much bigger variety of species as pets.
I think they would often have pets of their ferral species. Maybe not so much for species that are normally loners.

Very good question. I think pets would be possible, since most writers agree that there are still ferals of each species around (I myself haven't given any of my characters one because I never thought about it).

Now the question is: which species?

It could be that a fur would prefur a feral of her/his own species as pet since the fur may have an instinctual feeling for the demands of that feral (who would be better to take care for a dog than a dog?) That of course would post some problems for certain species like most big cats. Hybrids would also have problems to find a pet from their "spiecies".

Another example comes from Furry City. There the spieces of furs are restricted to mammals and so reptiles took the place of pets. Since big reptiles are rather the exception in RL they grew generally bigger then normal in Furry City (imagine taking a huge gecko for a walk)

Aside from the two points above I think it would be the furs's choice if and what kind of pet she/he invites to her/his home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent question! Thanks for asking. < pulls large soapbox out from under the dresser and climbs atop >

I had once asked Chris (when gathering details for the GW background)what kind of pets Wendy kept in her apartment. He replied, "Pets? What pets? She's a furry!" I wasn't happy with that answer, so this is what I came up with.

The ferals extant in the GW setup are all related to their furry counterparts. But that does not work both ways. There are no "feral" analogs to the various domestic species (Siamese cat, German shepherd, etc.) because there never were any around in the first place. Biologically speaking, all those feline and canine sub-species developed after the advent of furries. Yeah, they resemble the different dog and cat breeds on our world, but that is purely coincidence. Wink Besides, it gives the reader a point of reference without the need for further description.

So. There are no domestic cats or dogs. What does that leave? Pretty much everything else. But that brings with it all of the usual problems that humans encounter when trying to make a pet of a "wild" animal. Squirrels are a good example. Most of the attempts to 'domesticate' a squirrel will work, if one starts with an infant and feeds it by hand. I see no reason to alter that. Some animals (coyotes and bears, for example) can never be fully trusted, and may suddenly turn on their keepers even after years of docile behavior. But in many cases there is a measure of natural empathy between the fur and the feral of the same species (even moreso in some, such as Lin and Conner) so they can make decent pets. Raccoons are very popular with raccoons, to give one instance.

But that can tend to leave the feline/canine population out in the cold, since they have no feral counterparts. To answer that, ferrets turn up as pets fairly often regardless of the species of the owner. Lizards and snakes can make good pets, and many furs keep them. Wendy's ex had a ball python when they met, and it stayed with them until they split, when she gave it to a local pet shop (no pets in prison you know). Fish are common pets, but it's hard to take Goldie for a walk in the park.

So. That's the scenario I use. And it is hardly a universal treatment of the subject. As with most other aspects of furry literature, it is entirely up to the author. That's the cool part about speculative writing. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Beats the ranter....Mike! Over the head with his rubber chicken!* Be quiet would ya? Your ranting is hurting my ears! Well one of my ears anyway....the other one's hanging around The Knife's neck right now...
Concolor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmph. That long response was mine. For some reason the system did not log me on automatically as it has always done before.

Odd. Confused

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really wouldnt think that they would have pets, but if they did they might be humans Very Happy . Ha that will show them whos the dominate species.

Furry - "Bad fido, no treats for you!"
Human - "but master why?"

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do not see why there should not be simmilar ferral species of cats and (especially) dogs there. They were bred and used for good reasons after all e.g. protect the home, help with hunting, ...
I don't see why ferral wolves would not have been domesticated and eventually bred into dogs in a furry world.

But I think it a bit strange that there are furries based on domestic species.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:

Yes, that's one of the parts that doesn't really work and in the full knowledge of that we all ignore it Wink

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Yes, that's one of the parts that doesn't really work and in the full knowledge of that we all ignore it Wink

As one (or more) writer has put it "As long as it makes a good story, anything goes." Smile Wink

Rava

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:

Why? They wouldnt be domesticated in the first place without humans in the world
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Why? They wouldnt be domesticated in the first place without humans in the world

True but most species of domesticated cats feature colorations that would never occur in nature, like complete white fur.

The only explanation I could think of right now would be that these felines had been breed as furs in earlier times. I can imagine there was a high demand for such exotic courtesans and pleasure slaves.

Rava

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

True but most species of domesticated cats feature colorations that would never occur in nature, like complete white fur.

The only explanation I could think of right now would be that these felines had been breed as furs in earlier times. I can imagine there was a high demand for such exotic courtesans and pleasure slaves.

*shakes her head* Any cat living in a snowy area would adapt to their enviorment. How else do you explain Austrailian cats. Some of them have (in less then 400 yrs) Color adapted their fur enough to blend into the desert. Cats in northern Canada also are more white then in the south.

Cats are very adaptible creatures.
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, Fox! * yip* *rowr* *growl *hiss* *yip yip yip yip* *mrowr reowr* *growl yip yip yip*

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Furries have to evolve into intelligent beings first, then they can domesticate ferrals.
That basically means that that Furries can only be based on wild species.
Of course it is also possible that the "domesticated" furry species are actually descendands of mixed breed that became numerous enough to be recognizes as a species (or breed).

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rava wrote:
Tygon wrote:

*shakes her head* Any cat living in a snowy area would adapt to their enviorment. How else do you explain Austrailian cats. Some of them have (in less then 400 yrs) Color adapted their fur enough to blend into the desert. Cats in northern Canada also are more white then in the south.

Cats are very adaptible creatures.

But then they would loose these traits just as fast. And besides, they would have to live in arctic regions to turn completely white and as far as I know there aren't any felines there.

Anyway, there are other examples like Siamese. Calicos are unnatural too.

Or go to canines like Dalmatians.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: